• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Front Loading Washer/Dryers need recommendations.

mayson12

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our washer and dryer are on their last legs. DH really likes the look of the front loaders. The only hitch is that our laundry room doesn't have a lot of space. Our current washer and dryer have a depth of 27" and anything much bigger will block part of the doorway. I may have a few inches leeway with the washer, but really can't have anything over 30" deep. I know most of the front loaders are fairly big.

I found a Frigidaire set that isn't too deep, but the reviews are very mixed. They seem to be on the lower end of the market, and I really don't want to invest in something that will fall apart in a year or two.

Tuggers always come through on stuff like this. All thoughts are welcome.

Sandy

BM243923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort-Weeks 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9
Hi Sandy

I work at Sears and sell appliances.

I would stay away from Frigadaire as they have a bad service record. Check the hinges on the doors they are very weak.

Whirpool is the best to buy. At Sears most of the front loaders are made by Whirpool so check out the Kenmore name. The Kenmore are priced better as it is our own brand and better sales on them. The Frigadaire models are square looking and Whirpool has a more modern shape in the Kenmore names. But check with the salesperson to confirm they are Whirpool.

You know front loaders can be stacked so that would save you some space in the room.

You have to make sure the floor is solid since they spin at a fast speed and will shake your house if the floor is not re-inforced well.

I work is Sears in Canada, so I can't sell you anything. I wish I could, any other questions just ask me.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Our washer and dryer are on their last legs. DH really likes the look of the front loaders. The only hitch is that our laundry room doesn't have a lot of space. Our current washer and dryer have a depth of 27" and anything much bigger will block part of the doorway. I may have a few inches leeway with the washer, but really can't have anything over 30" deep. I know most of the front loaders are fairly big.

I found a Frigidaire set that isn't too deep, but the reviews are very mixed. They seem to be on the lower end of the market, and I really don't want to invest in something that will fall apart in a year or two.

Tuggers always come through on stuff like this. All thoughts are welcome.

Sandy

We have a Whirlpool washer and dryer. We have had to have warranty work done in the first year on the washer. Problem with the detergent dispensing unit. The washer is front loading but the dryer is a standard dryer. We didn't find the extra cost of the matching dryer worth it. Most of the energy efficiencies will come from the front loading washer and not the matching dryer.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you're handy with tools and can work on your washer and dryer yourself if there is a problem, do not consider LG. LG refuses to sell spare parts directly to consumers.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Maytag MLE2000AYW superstack washer/dryer and I've been very happy with it. It's 27" and obviously stacked. Friends of mine also have the same unit and they are also very happy with it.

Check the Maytag web site. There's another slightly more expensive model. I think the only difference is that dryer is larger on the other model, but you don't need the larger sized dryer since it only needs to be the same capacity as the washer.

When the washer is not in use, leave the door open to avoid the mold problem on the washer door seal that some people complain about with Maytag front loaders. I never had that problem on the separate Maytag Neptune front-loader we had in Florida or this one.

-David

Last edited:

IreneLF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've got a pair of Whirlpool Duet front loaders; love them both.
Washer is great, big enough for a king blanket (not all front loaders are so check if this is important to you), fast spin takes out so much of the water that drying time is far less.
Measured them - they are just a drop under 27" in depth so they can work for you. Bring a tape measure with you when you go to shop so you can be sure.

laxmom

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
Reaction score
I am going to second what Irene said. My Duet washer and dryer are smaller width wise than my old set. They have cut my laundry time dramatically. Not only do they hold more but they also are synchronized so that the washer and dryer finish at the same time. No more sitting a basket of wet clothes, waiting for the dryer to finish. I also have found that I can use regular detergent and only occasionally use the HE detergent. It is becoming easier to find but at first not every company made HE. I love my washer and dryer. My only complaint is that the buzzer is really quiet even on loud. My laundry room is in the basement so I never hear it. I just have to watch the clock but sometimes get sidetracked.

Be sure to measure the door to your laundry room and any other door you will have to take them through. That was one thing our salesman insisted on. Evidently people remember to measure the space where they will sit but forget they have to get through a few doors to get there!:doh:

gdeluca

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had Frigidaire frontloaders for 6 years and have never had any problems with them. Actually all our appliances are Frigidaire and nary an issue with any of them.

mayson12

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've got a pair of Whirlpool Duet front loaders; love them both.
Washer is great, big enough for a king blanket (not all front loaders are so check if this is important to you), fast spin takes out so much of the water that drying time is far less.
Measured them - they are just a drop under 27" in depth so they can work for you. Bring a tape measure with you when you go to shop so you can be sure.

Ever since we remodeled, I've been carrying a tape measure in my purse, LOL.:D
Do you have the regular Duets or the Duet Sports? I think I'm going to make a trek to Sears tomorrow. I really appreciate all the feedback. It's good to keep it all in mind.

IreneLF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know what Duet Sports are , so guess i must have 'regular'.
If you're going to Sears, they sell a couple of varieties, one which takes the king size, one that doesn't.
Our pair is in our laundry room, and they are big and impressive -- so much so that I wan them to have a bigger nicer room lol.
Smart move carrying that tape measure :)

PS on detergent - I tried Tide which worked quite well but is expensive, and then I also tried Purex. (both HE)
We get a bottle of Purex for $2 on sale, (otherwise maybe $3) and it does a most excellent job. (I've got a 16 y.o. boy so know about dirt on whites, socks, baseball uniforms) - the combo of this machine and Purex makes me not have to use bleach like I did before. This kid is particular about his whites being 'white' and he is happy. A ringing endoresement :)
Clothes also last longer for this reason and because they don't get beaten up on an agitator, another plus.