• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Terrible fire at South Lake Tahoe

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
500 acres burned - over 50 homes destroyed. Angora Campground evacuated. From what I can figure out this is close to Fallen Leaf Reservoir.
Highway 50 East closed from Pollock Pines. Highway 89 closed. Over 100 fire engines & six tankers fighting the blaze.

roadtriper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sad

500 acres burned - over 50 homes destroyed. Angora Campground evacuated. From what I can figure out this is close to Fallen Leaf Reservoir.
Highway 50 East closed from Pollock Pines. Highway 89 closed. Over 100 fire engines & six tankers fighting the blaze.

That's a beautiful area, Mrs. Roadtriper and I use to Camp along the Glen Alpine Creek in our younger days, and we were married at St. Francis of the Mountians (Fallen Leaf Chapel) in 1980. went back in 05 for our 25th. hope they get it under control soon and no lives are lost. Mother Nature has a way of recovering from fire but loss of homes/lives is tragic. and many of those old properties are one of a kind hand built Houses/cabins that you would have a hard time duplicating. Pray for rain! and for the residents and firefighters! Bob

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Now they are saying 2,000 acres - very, very sad. They hope with cooler night temps and higher humidity, that they can make some head-way during the night. They also are saying on the news that it started with 3 fires in a residential area. Since Tahoe got very little snow this winter, which is unusual, conditions are very dry. My heart goes out to these families who lost their homes.

Arb

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriotts?

Are the Marriotts in the path?

Nanoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is not that close to the Marriott Timber Lodge. I don't think that is threatened at this point. I think it is closer to the Emerald Bay and Tallac house area.

We were just up there last month. It is so beautiful. It is so a dry that it is hard to control once the fire starts. I don't think that rain is an option right now, but we can hope that the winds die down.

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now it is 220 homes destroyed & 2500 acres burned. Luckily the firefighters could save the 1500 student high school by surrounding it to fight the fire. Considered the biggest tragedy to hit the community ever! No lives lost at this point - pray for all.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Are any timeshares in the path (ie Hyatt?)

No - the fire is between Highway 50 and Fallen Leaf Lake - about 5 m. from South Lake Tahoe. The Hyatt is on the other side of the lake in Incline Village - a good 25 miles away. All of the major timeshares on South Shore are closer to the Lake, so at least for now, "the strip," and most timeshares seem to be safe. News Update & map

kapish

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a quick look at where the resorts are, in relation to the fire

Highway 50 and 89 may still be closed , so the best bet to get to Southshore is to take I-80 to Reno and then 395 to South Lake Tahoe.
tahoemap-resorts.GIF

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kapish - thanks for the map, but isn't the fire on the other side of Fallen Leaf Lake? Between the Lake and 50? :confused:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks - nice job on the map!

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kapish, thanks for that great map. :)

Down here in LA, our news hasn't given a pinpoint map yet, so I appreciate seeing yours.

mayson12

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are supposed to be leaving on Saturday for the Ridge Sierra and were planning on visiting a good friend of ours who lives in the area. I just googled his address and it seems he lives awfully close to the fire area.

I'm really worried. He lives close to the Washoe Meadows State Park which looks to me to be right where the fire is. I've tried his home and cell phones and left messages, but so far no word. Any positive thoughts for him and his daughter would be most welcome.

Carmel85

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are supposed to be leaving on Saturday for the Ridge Sierra and were planning on visiting a good friend of ours who lives in the area. I just googled his address and it seems he lives awfully close to the fire area.

I'm really worried. He lives close to the Washoe Meadows State Park which looks to me to be right where the fire is. I've tried his home and cell phones and left messages, but so far no word. Any positive thoughts for him and his daughter would be most welcome.

HYW 50 is closed so you will have to get here some other way hyw 80 via RENO or around through incline village...You will have a lot of smoke for the next 7-10 days but the fire is not close to Ridge Sierra.

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hwy 50 opened around 2 PM today. They are warning of poor air quality in the SLT basin. Guess that makes sense. We have next week booked at Eagles Nest /Tahoe Village and there should be no problem by then. Just hope they can contain the fire and save homes. Not a good time to get into political type conversation, but there have been predictions of this for years. Not if it would happen, but when. I am an environmentalist, but some groups here in California have gone overboard and have had policies implemented that harm instead of protect the environment. Examples are not allowing the thinning of trees, even those close to homes and diseased trees. Some are slow to learn. Although there has been much personal loss and this area will look horrible for some time to come, I have watched as nature has healed several other fire areas around Tahoe and many of these areas come back better than before.

mayson12

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good news. Our friend called us back and said that the fire is close, but he hasn't lost his home.

I'll check traffic and road conditions closer to our departure date. The area will no doubt need tourist dollars more than ever now.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
The fire has picked up & jumped the fireline & Hwy 89. It is headed to Tallac Village & Tahoe Keys one of the densest developements on the lake. There is word that Camp Richardson will also be evacuated, probably because the only route out is a narrow 2 lane road. This is so sad.

Carmel85

TUG Member
Reaction score
US 50
[IN THE SACRAMENTO VALLEY & THE LAKE TAHOE BASIN]
IS CLOSED TO EASTBOUND TRAFFIC POLLOCK PINES (EL DORADO CO) - DUE TO FOREST
FIRE - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

IS CLOSED TO WESTBOUND TRAFFIC AT SOUTH LAKE TAHOE (EL DORADO CO)
- DUE TO A FOREST FIRE - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE
- LOCAL RESIDENTS WITH IDENTIFICATION WILL BE ALLOWED

SR 89
[north Central California & The Lake Tahoe Basin]
Is Closed From 5 Mi North Of The Jct Of Us 50 To Bliss State Park
/emerald Bay/ (el Dorado Co) - Due To A Forest Fire - Motorists Are Advised
To Use An Alternate Route

1-way Controlled Traffic 2.7 Mi South Of Bliss State Park (el Dorado Co)
24 Hrs A Day 7 Days A Week Thru 10/31/07 - Due To Construction - Motorists Are
Subject To 20 Minute Delays

Last edited: