• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Letter of Recission

tmoscola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anything in particular I need to mention in my letter to Marriott? I plan to put the certified letter in the mail tomorrow.

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use plain simple english

They probably gave you a form to use for purposes of rescinding. Use the form. But it is not essential. You don't have to use any magical words. Anything in writing that lets them know you are rescinding or canceling the deal is legally sufficient.

It is prudent to obtain a record to prove that they received your notice. Send it by certified mail, return receipt requested. You can also send a fax copy which will create a 2nd record for you as well.

Why did you decide to rescind (there are plenty of good reasons to rescind)?

Don’t let the saleperson call you up and talk you out of the rescission.

tmoscola

TUG Member
Reaction score
We thought we were getting a decent deal on a the Beachplace Towers. We weren't overly thrilled about the property but were hopeful it would get better once it gets renovated. Plus how bad of a trader could it be on the beach in sunny south FL?

After coming home we saw how low the prices really are for the property which would save us money and made us think maybe the property isn't as valuable as the salesperson made it seem.

Also, there are really mixed reviews of this property. Most of the things I have read are not that positive. We would prefer to buy at a better property that we know we would enjoy without having to trade every year for a little more money.

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely rescind and buy resale if you love the resort. Some research here will show it needs some be rehab, something to consider.

Make sure you follow the delivery instructions contained on the rescindment instructions in your contract package.

vlapinta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Watch at Grand Dunes
You are doing the right thing. Recind and gather all the information you can from these boards before making another decision.

Vicki

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make sure you include that you heard that Marriott is changing their internal trading system to make it impossible to get your investment back when you re-sell it. In fact, the minute you walk out the door the week is worth less than 40 percent of what you just paid for it. Tell them they should have disclosed to you what kind of price you would expect to get if you tried to re-sell the unit.

Tell them Marriott should price their weeks based on market forces instead of trying to screw their present owners in order to make more sales at there inflated prices. Include a line on how you have read many bad coments on how Marriott is actively trying to devalue their present owners weeks. And Marriott is making changes to their present system totally for the financial benefit of Marriott without consideration to how these changes will affect their present owners.

Last edited:

calgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not add the language that Saturn recommended. I would not give your reasons for rescinding at all. Just a short and unequivocal rescinding notification.

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many reasons not to buy a TS

I was recently thinking of buying a resale TS at Marriott's Timber Lodge. It was advertised for only $6,500, the maintenance fee was about $750 a year. The owner must have paid at least $15,000 or more. But I then realized that I could rent the same unit at Timber Lodge for less than the yearly maintenance fee.

You can stay in some very nice hotels, anytime you want, for a lot less money than you will spend on a TS.

Let's us know how it works out for you. Good luck.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Tell them Marriott should price their weeks based on market forces instead of trying to screw their present owners in order to make more sales at there inflated prices.

If this were the case, we wouldn't have any timeshares. The additional cost above a resale price is marketing and profit for the company. If that is lost, then there wouldn't be anyone in the business. I don't see anything wrong with what Marriott is doing in their pricing of developer weeks.

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saturn is probably 100% correct in his beliefs, however, a letter of recission is not the place to express them.

1) Keep it simple

2) Just say to the salesman that calls "I don't want it, good day". Anything else will be arming him to battle you. Better yet, let all calls ring through to the answering machine for a few days and don't call back. No obligation to do so.

To Saturn:

Marriott will not change it's ways while it is making record profits. This is a capitalistic organization. That's the ugly reality of this business. It's even worse when someone loses 80% the first week with a Wyndham, et al...

John