Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Resort Regions > US - Hawaii

US - Hawaii Discussion of Hawaii Timeshare Resorts and activities/tips for vacations in Hawaii!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old December 21, 2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Kauai Kid

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Alii Kai II (AKI-2201) 3 wks & Na Pali Kauai (NPP) 2 wks Princeville, Kauai; Maui Schooner (LMB) 3 wks Kihei, Maui
Thumbs down Bitting Critters

Be sure and get something with DEET to repel the bugs. They were really bad in early December on Kauai. Worst we've ever experienced.

Benedril is good to stop the itching and I understand ammonia works well to help alleviate the scratching and welts.

Sterling
Kauai Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2007, 05:32 PM   #2
cookinmamma

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: May 24, 07

Resorts: Hyatt High Sierra Lodge
Exclamation I don't remember bugs

Hi Sterling,

Thanks for your post! We are packing tonight for our trip (yippee!) - departing 7:30 tomorrow am. I would've remembered sunscreen, probably cortaid, but not bugspray - - - I get eaten alive by bugs, and don't ever remember them being a problem at all on our 3-4 trips to Kauai & Oahu. I remember the B52 cockroaches/palmettos, esp. on Oahu, but no biters. I always thought it was amazing that we could enjoy open air restaurants & lobbies, and I never got bitten - - so this is bad news for me! At least we'll have some protection (but I also hate using all the chemicals) if it gets bad.
cookinmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2007, 05:41 PM   #3
johnmfaeth
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 7, 06
During the wet season in the Eastern Caribbean (December - March) - after the "Sept. - November hurricane season" (which is actually pretty dry), the no-see'ems and mosquitos can come out in force.

A great remedy, almost as good at deet bugspray is Gin on a paper towel and blotted on your arms, legs and neck. Don't know if just repels them or gets them drunk but it works well.

A shot of gin for the biting victim also seems to work...
johnmfaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2007, 06:48 PM   #4
Kauai Kid

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Alii Kai II (AKI-2201) 3 wks & Na Pali Kauai (NPP) 2 wks Princeville, Kauai; Maui Schooner (LMB) 3 wks Kihei, Maui
Bugs were the worst in 22 years of traveling to Hawaii. I don't ever remember them being a problem until this Dec.
Kauai Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2007, 08:33 PM   #5
auntdef
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 28, 06

Resorts: Sunset Bay, Tenerife*** Sheraton Buganvilias, Puerto Vallarta*** Marriott Waiohai, Kauai
First time we were in Hawaii (Decenber 1998) we spent 14 days bug free and on our last night (on Kauai) my legs got so bitten up I had welts and itching for weeks afterward. It was very, very unpleasant!! Our subsequent trips have been in August and no bug problems....but because of that 1st trip, we don't travel anywhere without bug spray and we put it on in the evenings just before going out!
auntdef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2007, 09:57 PM   #6
BevL

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 22, 04
Are they mosquitoes or some kind of biting flies? Just curious as I'm "immune" to mosquitoes, not to flies.
BevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2007, 05:15 PM   #7
auntdef
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 28, 06

Resorts: Sunset Bay, Tenerife*** Sheraton Buganvilias, Puerto Vallarta*** Marriott Waiohai, Kauai
In my case they were definetly NOT mosquitoes, they were "knat like".
auntdef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2007, 04:01 PM   #8
talkamotta
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05

Resorts: Sands of Kahana, Longboat Bay, Westgate Vacation Villas, etc
I got bitten by a bug on the Big Island 2 years ago. Had to go to instacare, etc w/prescriptions and office call $300. Had an allergic reaction to one of the antibiotics and looked real funny for a couple of days.

This year when I went to Hawaii I was prepared. Dont know if I looked good to any bugs but none visited me.

Good advice... Thanks
talkamotta is offline   Reply With Quote