• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to do in Boone & Blowing Rock?

maryk

TUG Member
Reaction score
What suggestions can anyone give me on what to do in the area of Boone & Blowing Rock?

Also what about some good restaurants in the area?

thanks - Maryk

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you going in the winter, summer, fall, or spring?

Eat lunch at the Daniel Boone Inn in Boone. They bring you food in bowls, platters, and they keep bringing food until you can't eat any more. Their biscuits and country ham are great. There are many other good restaurants in Boone and blowing rock including many chains, but I can't remember one in particular.

Get a free Blue Ridge Parkway map off of the internet which shows the location of great views (like the linville viaduct) and trails to waterfalls, mountain peaks and mountain streams. Great day driving trips can fill up a week, especially when you mix in some hikes.

Go to Grandfather Mountain for a day. If you like to hike, take the trail from the parking lot opposite the mile high swinging bridge. These trails lead to a couple of high peaks with 360 degree views that few see. You have to climb ladders and hold on to cables to get to these peaks , but when you get to the top the views are worth it. Good web site descriptions and pics. Also a nice small zoo on Grandfather Mountain with bears, eagles, otters, etc.

Drive about 2 and 1/2 hours to the Biltmore House in Asheville NC. This is the largest home in America and it was owned by the Vanderbilts. Go to their web site and see the different tours available. This is a full day and not to be missed.

Go to Valles Crus and go to the Mast General Store. It has been open since the 1800's I think. There are buckets and barrels of candy you fill bags with and pay for it by weight. They sell old time remedies and country items i have never seen before and I am from the south.

There is another town in the area that Mayberry from Andy Griffith fame is based on. I never made it there because I ran out of time.

If it is spring or summer there is whitewater rafting from mild to wild. We did the Nolichucky which is the most challenging river in the area. This is a full day trip including lunch.

There are many waterfalls and lakes and golf courses to visit. Banner Elk is a great town less than 30 minutes from Boone and Blowing Rock with nice stores and restaurants too. Definetelly worth the visit.

During summer season there is a small amusement park in Blowing rock called Tweetsie Railroad. It has a steam locomotive and rides for young and old.

There are several gem mines where you can mine your own gemstones. They will polish them and put them in a ring or other jewelry if you like (all for a fee of course).

In the winter there are 5 ski slopes within about 30 minutes (Sugar Mtn, Beech Mtn, Hawks Nest, Appalachian, and one I forget). During the summer Sugar Mtn in Banner Elk offers lift rides to the top of the mountain for some great views.

I hope I might have given you some ideas on things to do. I love it here summer, winter , and fall ( never visited in the spring). This area is a favorite of mine and I think after a week there you will agree. I was there the week before Christmas and will be back this summer or next December, or hopefully both.:banana:

Last edited: