• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Ocean vs Ocean Watch?

Jo Jo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am planning on vacationing in South Carolina this coming summer. I am considering renting either the Grand Ocean @ Hilton Heard or Ocean Watch @ Myrtle Beach.

Both look beautiful, ... however I would appreciated people's opinion's in consideration of factors like: beach quality, hotel access to the beach, property ammenities, things to do in the area, etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

pfrass

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is kind of like asking if you like chocolate or vanilla better. I would make the call based on your preference of Hilton Head vs. Myrtle Beach, not so much the resorts themselves, both of which are great. Hilton Head is busy but nicely preserved, and a little more upscale, in my opinion. I really like the fact that they have essentially no billboards and mandate that businesses keep green space and use natural materials-- the planners have done a great job in that respect. There are lots of bike trails, and the ones in Sea Pines are easily accessible from Grande Ocean, which is a nice plus. Myrtle Beach is wall-to-wall concrete in many areas, but has more to do/offer, especially for children. Both have great golf/shopping and the beaches are similar. I would venture to say if you want a quiet relaxed vacation, HHI is the more logical choice, especially if side trips to Charleston, Beaufort or Savannah interest you. If you have teenagers and want the "girls gone wild" atmosphere, as one individual who posted put it, head to Myrtle Beach.

This post may help... http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g54273-i170-k320881-Hilton_Head_vs_Myrtle_Beach-Hilton_Head_South_Carolina.html

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I was in Myrtle Beach 'pre-Marriott TS' and found it great fun while the kids were there for summer, but it almost closes down the day after school starts. It really is a summer place...and gets colder earlier than HH. On the other hand, HH seems to be 'alive' for much of the year and perhaps those there are 'older' than in Myrtle Beach.

GO is a fabulous resort and I doubt there is a Marriott TS closer to the beach. While I haven't been there, I've read that Ocean Watch is quite a hike to the beach comparatively.

Brian

Steel5Rings

Reaction score
I have been to both...both are right on the beach....both beaches are very good for swimming Ocean Watch has a Marriott hotel right next door and lots of fun things to do within a short ride, but may still have some ongoing construction.

Grande Ocean is awesome...I love HHI and the area is more laid back....just outside Sea Pines and several great golf courses.......Ocean Watch sits in the middle of golf capital USA and MB's 100 plus courses.

Steel5Rings

Reaction score
I was in Myrtle Beach 'pre-Marriott TS' and found it great fun while the kids were there for summer, but it almost closes down the day after school starts. It really is a summer place...and gets colder earlier than HH. On the other hand, HH seems to be 'alive' for much of the year and perhaps those there are 'older' than in Myrtle Beach.

GO is a fabulous resort and I doubt there is a Marriott TS closer to the beach. While I haven't been there, I've read that Ocean Watch is quite a hike to the beach comparatively.

Brian

Brian:

OW is right on the beach, just a 50 foot walk over the dune, via gated boardwalk.

BF

Jo Jo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for all your wonderful insights ... its much appreciated!

lweverett

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you are renting, and can rent a view, you should be aware of the layouts. The three front buildings at Ocean Watch are fairly close to the ocean, the two newer rear buildings will be a hike, but are supposed to have a water park like pool for the youngsters. Grand Ocean buildings are all close to the beach, South end at family pool, North end around a quieter pool. Need a higher floor for best views of ocean.