• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How does SVO determine availability for Multiweek reservations?

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
SVO allows multiple week owners to request a multiweek reservation all on one phone call but cautions that the ability to fulfill it is subject to "availability". Does anyone have any experience with *when* SVO determines whether there is availability?

Suppose I own three weeks at an SVO resort. I call and request a 3 week long reservation starting 1 year from today. (Of course, I'll need to argue with the reservation person and be repeatedly put on hold until they find an agent who has heard of multiweek reservations.)

If the first week is available, I'll be told that I don't need to call back and that SVO will book the other weeks at the 1 year date for each, "subject to availability".

Importantly, however, there's no detail about when they check for availability. If they check the night before opening up the phone lines, there will almost certainly be availability unless the week is sold out as an event week. If they check sometime a day or two after they start taking reservations, then the week could sell out.

Does anyone know how they do this?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes - I've done it twice. Owner's Services takes your second week reservation when you put in the first week. They load it into the system, but don't actually make the reservation until after midnight a week later. So your reservation for your second week is made automatically sometime between midnight and 9:00 a.m. when owners can start calling.

I know the times because Starwood used to automatically generate an emailed confirmation as soon as the Resv. was made, and you could tell by the time on the confirmation, that it was made between midnight and 9:00 a.m. Mine were like 3:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. so I am pretty sure it was automated.

This was for WKORV - I don't know what would happen someplace like WSJ, if there was no availability for the 2nd week. I am guessing that when they take your first week's reservation they look and see if there is availability for the second week. If there's not, I'm guessing they would tell you then.

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
Thanks Denise.

That's the way I hoped it would work.

However, if it were implemented as poorly as everything else about Starwood's reservation system, I could picture a stack of paper requests that get processed whenever someone gets around to them. (Like the way they handle email.)

BTW, I assumed that they don't check forward availability for all of my weeks at the beginning. Otherwise, they wouldn't need to have the caveat that my reservation is "subject to availability".

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Yes - I've done it twice. Owner's Services takes your second week reservation when you put in the first week. They load it into the system, but don't actually make the reservation until after midnight a week later. So your reservation for your second week is made automatically sometime between midnight and 9:00 a.m. when owners can start calling.

I know the times because Starwood used to automatically generate an emailed confirmation as soon as the Resv. was made, and you could tell by the time on the confirmation, that it was made between midnight and 9:00 a.m. Mine were like 3:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. so I am pretty sure it was automated.

This was for WKORV - I don't know what would happen someplace like WSJ, if there was no availability for the 2nd week. I am guessing that when they take your first week's reservation they look and see if there is availability for the second week. If there's not, I'm guessing they would tell you then.

Denise, what a great timestamp on that second week :D ! It will trump any other timestamp for us poor souls who have to call at 9AM, right?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Denise, what a great timestamp on that second week :D ! It will trump any other timestamp for us poor souls who have to call at 9AM, right?

Exactly - if this hasn't changed, owners booking a 2nd week have priority over everyone else...

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
but if you called at 9am for the first reservation, wouldn't you want to stay in the same villa the second week so you would not have to move? so the timestamp would be meaningless, is this correct?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
but if you called at 9am for the first reservation, wouldn't you want to stay in the same villa the second week so you would not have to move? so the timestamp would be meaningless, is this correct?

If you own a 2 bdm. lock-off (we do) you can't stay in the same villa for 2 weeks. You have to stay in the studio side one week and the 1 bdm. side the other week. When we did this we were in the same unit for both weeks. The first week on the studio side and the second week in the 1 bdm. side of the same unit. So we got the same view both weeks. I think the timestamp does apply - that's what allows you to keep the same location for both weeks.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually go to Maui for two weeks in a row and I've never had a problem staying in the same unit for the two weeks. I've been there every summer since they opened. The first time they were going to change us, but after a brief and friendly talk with the front desk they let us stay in the same unit the whole time.

I don't usually make my reservation at the crack of dawn the first day of availability. I've waited as late as September and early October to make a reservation for the following summer and have gotten nice views every time. The worst that has happened is that I needed to go a week or two later or earlier than my initial desire because of availability. I have some flexibility so that has not been a problem.

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you do this, is it all one reservation? or two separate reservations? I added on a day to my week, but it has a separate reservation number and I am expecting to have to switch rooms, and maybe even buildings.

MON2REY

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the owner of an OF lockoff unit wants to stay for two consecutive weeks (studio one week, 1 Bedroom the next) and the unit only has 15 OF villas, would this owner have any lower priority than other OF owners that want to use both sides even if he calls at 9:00 am twelve months out and is the first to reserve? Theoretically, he is taking up two weeks usage of the villa. Obviously the vacant side is available for use but not for someone that wants both sides for a week.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe I got two separate reservation numbers, but when you call customer service they can notate them to link them together.