Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timesharing > Travel Info

Travel Info This is the place to post travel tips and ask questions related to traveling to timeshare resorts.

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old March 11, 2008, 02:35 PM   #1
UWSurfer

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 10, 07

Resorts: HGVC, HI Desert Club - Las Vegas, San Clemente Inn, Gardens @ W.Maui
Handicap Plaquards...using in other states?

We're going to Hawaii in a few weeks, taking my mother who has a limited range on foot. She has a handicapped plaquard issued here in California she'd like to use when we have her in the rental car in Hawaii.

Does anyone know if you do this successfully, using a plaquard from one state to park in handicap parking spaces in another state...in this case Hawaii?
UWSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Luanne

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Maui Lea at Maui Hill San Diego Country Estates
They are accepted nationwide. My mom, who lives in MO, is currently visiting and we are using her handicapped plaquard here in CA. Oh yeah, we also used it when we were visiting friends in Hawaii last month.
Old March 11, 2008, 05:51 PM   #3
grest
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 8, 05

Resorts: Mt. Amanzi, Strand Pavilion, Seapointer, Place on the Bay
We thought they were accepted nationwide, too...but once when we were on a timeshare vacation, we were told that was not the case, and since our placard was from Maine, it did not apply in...I can't remember where we were at the time, but Arizona sounds right.
Connie
grest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2008, 09:26 PM   #4
Passepartout

TUG Member

We've had FIL (and tag) in ID, Cal, TX UT- no problems. I doubt you would find a cop hard-hearted enough to write the ticket. Now, that said, if Mom isn't along and everyone in the car is able-bodied, I probably wouldn't use the handicapped spaces. I do see apparently able-bodied people using them and wonder how they were brought up.

Jim Ricks
Old March 11, 2008, 10:02 PM   #5
McKShr6
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 14, 06

Resorts: Plantation Resorts, Myrtle Beach Country Club Villas, Myrtle Beach The Voyager , Treasure Island
We use my husband's handicap sign from Canada in our rental car in Florida. We have never had any difficulty doing this. Also, do not judge "able bodied people" using a handicap parking space. Sometimes the disability isn't apparent, you don't have to use a wheelchair to require a handicap parking space. Someone with severe breathing difficulties or heart problems can only walk a very short distance.
McKShr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2008, 10:40 PM   #6
teepeeca
TUG Member

Angry

Handicapped placards are accepted in all states. BUT, the "handicapped" person MUST be in the vehicle !!! I've seen MANY abuses of the system---"OH, it's my grandmother's car, so it's OK if I use the handicapped parking place" !!! I "WILL" turn those people in !!!

Tony
teepeeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2008, 05:26 AM   #7
grest
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 8, 05

Resorts: Mt. Amanzi, Strand Pavilion, Seapointer, Place on the Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by teepeeca View Post
Handicapped placards are accepted in all states. BUT, the "handicapped" person MUST be in the vehicle !!! I've seen MANY abuses of the system---"OH, it's my grandmother's car, so it's OK if I use the handicapped parking place" !!! I "WILL" turn those people in !!!

Tony
I'm with you on this...100%. It's one of my biggest pet peeves!
Connie
grest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2008, 10:39 AM   #8
ricoba

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05
To answer the OP.

I have used my CA handicap plaquard in Hawaii and plan to do so this trip as well.
Old March 12, 2008, 12:05 PM   #9
UWSurfer

TUG Member

Resorts: HGVC, HI Desert Club - Las Vegas, San Clemente Inn, Gardens @ W.Maui
Thanks everyone.

Yes, we'd only use it when Mom is being driven in the car. Even then, she'd give it a go without it but I know her day would be significantly shortened if she has to walk further everywhere, based on past trips with her in Vegas.

I recall a couple colleges and U's here in LA last year were cracking down on inappropriate uses of the plaquards. Young students who had their grandparents card or at UCLA student atheletes obtaining them as essentially VIP privilaged parking. The cops bust them all regularly and it hits the papers from time to time.

Thanks again!
UWSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2008, 12:49 PM   #10
AwayWeGo

TUG Member

Resorts: Cypress Pointe Resort (Orlando FL), Vacation Village At Parkway [points] (Kissimmee FL).
Out-Of-State Wheelchair Tags No Good In Washington, D. C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teepeeca View Post
Handicapped placards are accepted in all states.
In the District Of Columbia (i.e., Washington DC) only handicap permits issued by the District Of Columbia are recognized as valid.

Park in a DC wheelchair spot with a handicap tag from Virginia or Maryland or anywhere else & you can expect to get a ticket or the Denver Boot or a ride behind a hook truck.

Not only that, in adjoining Arlington County VA, metered parking spaces are not free for cars sporting handicap tags or placards. Each Arlington meter is labeled All May Park & All Must Pay.

Times are changing. I've seen wheelchair tags on pick-up trucks & on motorcycles. Who'd a-thunk?

As for me, I gratefully walk on 2 feet & 1 worn-out knee & would not exchange that ability (such as it is, for however long I still have it) for the privilege of parking in the up-close spots via wheelchair tag.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.

The Chief Of Staff since 1964.
Playing horn since 1955. Breathing air since 1942.
AwayWeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2008, 01:44 PM   #11
Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 16, 04
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayWeGo View Post
In the District Of Columbia (i.e., Washington DC) only handicap permits issued by the District Of Columbia are recognized as valid.
I don't believe that's true, Alan. DC's official rule on the topic:
Quote:
Disability parking placards/permits or tags from DC or any state allow you to:
- Park in any parking space designated for a disabled person.
- Park for double the posted time in metered or time-restricted spaces
- Park for free at metered spaces.
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2008, 03:06 PM   #12
AwayWeGo

TUG Member

Resorts: Cypress Pointe Resort (Orlando FL), Vacation Village At Parkway [points] (Kissimmee FL).
Good News. Who Do You Suppose Got'M To See The Light ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
I don't believe that's true, Alan. DC's official rule on the topic:
DC's local officials are highly sensitive to DC's constitutionally defined status as subject to rule by Congress. They underline the point by emblazoning DC license plates with a slogan in protest of their perceived 2nd class status.

It also irks the local bigwigs that the District Of Columbia is not allowed to tax the paychecks of commuters from suburban Maryland & Virginia who work in Washington DC. (The commuters pay taxes where they live, just like everybody else, so it's not like the absence of a DC commuter tax lets the commuters go taxless.)

Despite DC's limited measure of home rule & DC's representation in the House Of Representatives by a locally elected non-voting delegate, DC's ultimate overseers are the members of congress elected from the 50 states, acting through the Distict Of Columbia Committees of the U.S. Senate & the U.S. House Of Representatives.

You don't suppose influence by members of those committees had anything to do with DC's DMV backing off those former rules invalidating non-DC wheelchair tags, do you?

Naaaaaaah !

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County -- outside Washington DC), Virginia, USA.

Last edited by AwayWeGo; March 12, 2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: No Reason. No Excuse. Never Complain. Never Explain.
Old March 12, 2008, 04:46 PM   #13
sfwilshire
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05

Resorts: Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Tybrisa, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I read the official policy linked above and it doesn't match the signage we saw when we were last in DC about three years ago. All of the street parking we saw clearly said that our TN tag was no good. Can't recall the exact wording, but it was quite clear.

I'll definitely print out this info and take it along if and when we visit again.

We did use the placard in Hawaii with no problem at all. I'm glad to see that it will apparently be useful in Canada as well.

Sheila
sfwilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2008, 05:03 PM   #14
Kauai Kid

TUG Member

Resorts: Alii Kai II (AKI-2201) 3 wks & Na Pali Kauai (NPP) 2 wks Princeville, Kauai; Maui Schooner (LMB) 3 wks Kihei, Maui
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWSurfer View Post
We're going to Hawaii in a few weeks, taking my mother who has a limited range on foot. She has a handicapped plaquard issued here in California she'd like to use when we have her in the rental car in Hawaii.

Does anyone know if you do this successfully, using a plaquard from one state to park in handicap parking spaces in another state...in this case Hawaii?
We've used handicapped plaquard's from VA, MD, LA, & TX without any problems in Hawaii.

Sterling
Kauai Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2008, 09:53 AM   #15
AwayWeGo

TUG Member

Parking Placards For The Morally Handicapped.

When those are offered, I might apply -- although I suspect the Morally Handicapped parking spaces are apt to be out back instead of up front.

What symbol do you suppose they'll use to identify those spots ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.
Old March 13, 2008, 10:11 AM   #16
njwhite

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 24, 07

Resorts: Member Exotic Travel Club through Karisma Resorts
I have a handicap placcard, yet if any of you saw me you wouldn't think I was handicapped. I have a disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis. It causes fusion of the spine and neck. It is painful. It appears I walk ok, but almost every step I take is painful. Some days are better than others. I try to park in regular spots, but if I need to be closer, then I don't.

I keep waiting for someone to come up to me in a parking lot and accuse me of not needing the sticker.

Please do not assume that just because someone isn't visably handicapped, that they are don't need it. Trust me, I would give the world to never have to use the handicap parking.
njwhite is offline   Reply With Quote