Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > General Discussion > TUG Lounge

TUG Lounge The place for all discussions that don't fit into the other defined forum areas. Posts discussing politics, religion, and controversial social issues that are not directly related to timesharing are not permitted.

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old March 30, 2008, 10:54 AM   #1
dioxide45

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: May 20, 06

Resorts: Marriott's Grande Vista, Marriott's Harbour Lake
[2008] Suze Orman Advice on Timeshares

On last night's show, Suze had a caller that had purchased a TS while on vacation in Orlando four years ago for $7000. Her advice was very limited. She suggested what would sound like upfront fee companies but discounted them indicating that she didn't think anyone actually bought from the companies you always see advertised. She more or less told the caller that they were stuck with their purchase.

I usually agree with her advice and Tivo her show every week. I think her knowledge in this area was limited. Her advice is to never buy one in the first place.

I remember late last year she had a caller on her Can I Afford It segment that wanted to buy a $100,000 Whistler TS. The caller had gobbs of money so she indicated that they could afford it, though she thought it was a bad idea. She really should have also suggested that they look in to the resale market and save $$$ over what they were going to pay developer.
dioxide45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2008, 03:39 PM   #2
grest
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 8, 05

Resorts: Mt. Amanzi, Strand Pavilion, Seapointer, Place on the Bay
I was surprised too...I was expecting her to mention the resale market, or maybe even TUG..
Connie
grest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2008, 03:47 PM   #3
TUGBrian
Administrator

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Mar 24, 06
http://www.suzeorman.com/igsbase/igs...tsuze&GnavID=7

=)
TUGBrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2008, 04:51 PM   #4
judyjht

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Briarwood (Cape Cod) Weeks 33 & 34
I sent her an email and invite her to join us - maybe she will and we can teach her a few things. I love her show.

Judith S. Peacock
judyjht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2008, 04:56 PM   #5
JoeMid

She's a ditz.
Old March 30, 2008, 04:59 PM   #6
lprstn

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 14, 07

Resorts: Wyndham Bali Hai Villas (759,000 pts) Wyndham Kona (231,000 pts EOY) Sheraton Vistana (Fountains) Presidential Resort,
I think some of her advice makes sense, however everyone's situation is different and some of us like to live and save...or may do what's considered to her risky. So I listen with an opened mind and do what's best for me.
Old March 30, 2008, 06:24 PM   #7
derb

TUG Member

Resorts: HGVC Flam, S Gate Villas, Blue Ridge (2), Polo Towers,HI LV Desert Club (2), Gat Town Sq, Grandview (2)
The truth is, any tug member online for over 6 months knows more about the economics of timeshares than any so called media experts.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2008, 06:34 PM   #8
Steamboat Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
The truth is, any tug member online for over 6 months knows more about the economics of timeshares than any so called media experts.
I would shorten that to about 1 month.
Old March 30, 2008, 06:44 PM   #9
Brett

Resorts: Williamsburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat Bill View Post
I would shorten that to about 1 month.
Isn't that the truth. makes you wonder about the rest of the advice of "so called media experts" !
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011, 01:08 AM   #10
mimo0314

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 11, 11
Any one who logs onto e-bay and looks at timeshares knows the actual resale value of a timeshare. 0 can't be given away. The only investment that has 100% depreciation once you leave the showroom floor.
mimo0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011, 02:18 AM   #11
Ken555

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05

Resorts: Westin Kierland, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Google is your friend. From 2007:

http://www.oprah.com/money/Getting-O...fter-a-Breakup

Quote:
Time-shares are notoriously difficult to make money on. Check out sites like the Timeshare User's Group (Tug2.net) and eBay, both popular places to list time-shares for sale.
Ken555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011, 08:01 AM   #12
1950bing

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 9, 07
I thought her advice was good.

Last edited by 1950bing; April 11, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
1950bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011, 08:07 AM   #13
Fletch

TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts: DVC points, Solaris in Cancun, Foxrun, Inverness
Although I don't mind her show, people like her live in a bubble. I know alot about housing and short sales and I have heard her advice on parts of that , that were way off base. She knows what she hears, not what she learns in the real world. 80% of her advice is common sense, thats all !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMid View Post
She's a ditz.
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011, 08:38 AM   #14
DeniseM

TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts: Starwood-WKORV, SDO, & SVR, Roark Vacation Club, Kingsbury Crossing, 5 X Kauai Beach Villas, Edinburg Residence
Please note that this thread is from 2008 and was brought out of mothballs by a newbie...

my webpage
DeniseM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011, 08:42 AM   #15
AwayWeGo

TUG Member

Resorts: Cypress Pointe Resort (Orlando FL), Vacation Village At Parkway [points] (Kissimmee FL).
. . . Not That There's Anything Wrong With That.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseM View Post
Please note that this thread is from 2008 and was brought out of mothballs by a newbie...
Shux, some of us oldsters on TUG-BBS would rather revive dormant discussion topics than start up new ones willy-nilly.

( Just saying. )

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.
The Chief Of Staff since 1964.
Playing horn since 1955. Breathing air since 1942.
AwayWeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011, 08:45 AM   #16
pwrshift

TUG Member

Resorts: 6 Marriott Weeks (Platinum)
Probably a newbie that got burned.
Old April 18, 2011, 09:37 AM   #17
sally13

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 11, 10
Suzie....

is more then a ditz...she cost millions of viewers their life savings,by her buy and hold market mantra..she is a patsy for the big banks and gets paid for her (hey girlfriend!) simplicity... to put it plainly...any advice of hers is old and the old rules no longer apply....
sally13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2011, 01:51 PM   #18
dioxide45

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: May 20, 06

Resorts: Marriott's Grande Vista, Marriott's Harbour Lake
11/12/2011 Episode

On the November 12th 2011 episode during the #ASKSUZE segment, she had the following question "What are your thoughts on timeshare ownership?"

I found her response rather narrow minded.

"Oh well that's simple. If you have a thought in your head, you will not do it. Honest to god, they are the worst investment, they make absolutly no sense, once you have purchased them you can not sell them. You are not, do you hear me?. You are not not not not to ever to do a time ownership, such a waste of money a timeshare ownership"
dioxide45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2011, 03:11 PM   #19
klpca

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 11, 06

Resorts: Marriott, Starwood, Grand Pacific, PBSB, Donatello, Maui Lea
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxide45 View Post
On the November 12th 2011 episode during the #ASKSUZE segment, she had the following question "What are your thoughts on timeshare ownership?"

I found her response rather narrow minded.

"Oh well that's simple. If you have a thought in your head, you will not do it. Honest to god, they are the worst investment, they make absolutly no sense, once you have purchased them you can not sell them. You are not, do you hear me?. You are not not not not to ever to do a time ownership, such a waste of money a timeshare ownership"
While I agree with you about the narrow mindedness of her comments, some folks probably shouldn't own timeshares. There's a learning curve to utilize them efficiently, and some people don't want to spend that time. I think that Suzy's audience includes a lot of those folks.
klpca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2011, 03:23 PM   #20
chalee94
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jan 3, 09

Resorts: DVC-OKW; Lake Lure
Quote:
Originally Posted by klpca View Post
While I agree with you about the narrow mindedness of her comments, some folks probably shouldn't own timeshares. There's a learning curve to utilize them efficiently, and some people don't want to spend that time. I think that Suzy's audience includes a lot of those folks.
+1

if someone loves to travel (or has the time, savvy and energy to try to rent their weeks), then they should come here and invest 3-6 months in researching a purchase.

for all those with short attention spans, or who just aren't willing to investigate a potential purchase, suzy's answer was a reasonable soundbite...
Old November 16, 2011, 03:40 PM   #21
MOXJO7282
TUG Member

Resorts: Maui MOC 2BD OF(2),2BD OV(2),Myrtle Bch Pl OF(2),GO HHI Gold OF(2),Newp Bch NCV Pl(2),Monarch w40,Cust Hs Pl EOY, HBR P
TSing is becoming more and more for the experienced owner. Keep in mind Tuggers make up a very small portion of TS owners. The vast majority of owners are much, much less TS knowledgeable.
MOXJO7282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2011, 04:25 PM   #22
timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 11, 05

Resorts: Now Cypress Pointe w/Diamond Club,Cove@Yarmouth Former: RCI Points Rayburn Country, DVC/Wyndham - Wastegate gone gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOXJO7282 View Post
TSing is becoming more and more for the experienced owner. Keep in mind Tuggers make up a very small portion of TS owners. The vast majority of owners are much, much less TS knowledgeable.
Well stated. As irritating as she is for most her advice about timeshare is right on.

ADOPT A TIMESHARE!
BUY RESALE!

Proudly Microsoft & Apple free with WebOS, Droid Samsung S4 & Verizon Wireless - DW w/Chromebook

timeos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2011, 07:20 AM   #23
carl2591

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 4, 05

Resorts: TUGGER since '99 Sudwala Lodge 9 TP , Presidential Villa at Plantation Resort :)
clark howard mentions TUG all the time...

I have been listening to Clark Howard for a good many years on radio myself. He has and does mention TUG on a regular basis when getting calls about how to get rid of timeshare. I am not sure if you has actually owned TS but seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject.

Suzzie is not as informed, on TS and other stuff, and show by comments made to callers. i don't really listen to her much due to her lack of knowledge on a lot of stuff.. girlfriend..

smells like moth balls in here... was this in a storage locker... wonder if brandi and jerrod bid on it.. looks like something they would buy... "Storage Wars" on A&E channel.. love that show Barry is very cool..
Old November 17, 2011, 04:02 PM   #24
post-it

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: May 27, 09

Resorts: Ka'anapali Beach Club
I find this topic interesting since I've also wondered what Suzi would think if I called in about a TS purchase.

If I could have a do-over after being on TUG:

Purchase re-sale and purchase within a days travel so I wouldn't have to deal with airline tickets if we can't afford the cost.

Otherwise, just happy I found TUG to educate me on how to get the most out of my TS, and advice on great resorts to trade into. I also didn't know how to use II until finding TUG.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far.

Glenda

post-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2011, 08:00 PM   #25
timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 11, 05

Resorts: Now Cypress Pointe w/Diamond Club,Cove@Yarmouth Former: RCI Points Rayburn Country, DVC/Wyndham - Wastegate gone gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post

smells like moth balls in here... was this in a storage locker... wonder if brandi and jerrod bid on it.. looks like something they would buy... "Storage Wars" on A&E channel.. love that show Barry is very cool..
LOVE Storage Wars (and American Restorations, American Pickers & Pawn Stars). Far better than anything new on network television today (Gordon Ramsey the possible exception). Keeps me paying for cable.

ADOPT A TIMESHARE!
BUY RESALE!

Proudly Microsoft & Apple free with WebOS, Droid Samsung S4 & Verizon Wireless - DW w/Chromebook

timeos2 is offline   Reply With Quote