• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Front Loader Washer

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Just gave our old faithful Maytag top loading washer and dryer to daughter and bought a LG steam front-loader washer and dryer, the model rated top by Consumer Reports. This NC house is just seven years old and the pair are dead on level on a tile over wood floor (basement beneath). I've only done two loads so far, but on one load (heavier clothing), when that washer spun, it was as if there was a helicopter hovering over the house. The vibration was terrible. I've got to admit that the time in the dryer was much shorter than with my old machines, but I'm wondering if I can live with the vibration! I have thirty days to return.

I've read some reviews that mention vibration with LG but is this normal for most front-loaders?

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would a mat like one that is used under workout equipment help? The one we have is in very large puzzle-like pieces. You would need to check it out with the store or mfg.

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are also mats used for horse stalls which I've read work well. However, my brother had the same problem with LG units. He tried everything but finally realized he had not installed the clips between the units and the extra bases. That fixed it for him.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Clips

Best Buy delivered and installed and the clips are on correctly. Not sure about using a mat.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I hope you can find some way to make these machines work for your situation. We have that same model washer and dryer on a tile floor, but no basement beneath. I haven't had any vibration problems. Ours have the drawer unit beneath them to raise them up.

I'm very happy with their performance.

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Karen.. I have had LG front loader washer and dryer, with the drawers below on tile floors for 2.5 yrs and have had no problem...occasionally if I have a heavy load when it goes into spin, it makes a bit more noise than normal but otherwise all is fine. My only dislike for these front loaders is there is no way to just put stuff in my washer to spin out excess water...that I do not like. LInda

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
flooring

OK, so your tile floors are like on a concrete slab foundation? I was told that is the best scenario for these models. I ask because I'm wondering if it is a flaw with my particular unit or because I'm not on a slab.

It was worse with blue jeans than lighter garments.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Forgot to add

Mne are also on the drawer bases.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I too have the LG combo (no steam dry however) stacked atop each other w/out the drawers as I have cabinetry directly above them. The spin cycle is increadibly fast and can cause vibration, although I've not had the issues you've had.

We're are in a single story home with a raised foundation, wood subfloor with tile it sits upon. The science of resonance and oscillation frequencies is something that is very real, and something I am woefully inadequate to explain properly. Basically when something oscillates (like the washer spinning) it creates waves of energy which resonate at certain frequencies with other structures. An example of this are earthquakes and their energy waves working with or against certain structures they encounter. Your washer may generate the frequency which your floor naturally resonates at.

Another old time example are troops breaking cadence when marching across a bridge to avoid the frequency marching in step creates.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have a Kenmore frontloader and it is super quiet. I have to check the lights to know when it is finished. I would be very unhappy about that vibration and noise. Are you really sure it is level? Talk to the store about solutions or try the garden web appliance forum. They have always been helpful for me.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/appl/

Deb

pranas

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to have it checked out. I had problems with my Maytag when it was first deliverd. I don't have pad but do have a solid floor underneath the washer. Called the Maytag repair man and it has worked fine for almost ten years.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
OK, so your tile floors are like on a concrete slab foundation? I was told that is the best scenario for these models.

Yes, that's what we have--tile on concrete slab.

mamadot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got the LG front load washer and dryer also. Loaded my 20 year old Maytags on the trailer and off they went to Goodwill. They still worked!

The LG washer does have a super fast spin cycle and that's when I hear the noise, especially with heavy loads like towels. I to am on a tile floor/cement slab.

The good thing is everything dries so quickly!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a cement floor with tiles on top of it. I cut a 1" thick piece of plywood and used it as the base, and rested the washer/dryer unit directly on top. Solved all vibration problems. Also, it may in fact extend the life of the units as there is less wear and tear on the machines......

Last edited:

wcfr1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are tile on concrete slab and ours is super quiet, no vibration. Call the service people for a check up. It may be out of balance.

tlwmkw

Reaction score
We have tile on a wooden subfloor over a basement and it is not too bad. I wouldn't say it is whisper quiet but with the door the laundry room closed it is no worse than our old top loader. I would have the balance checked- I know they said that was very important when ours was installed. We love this washer because it spins all the water out of the wash.

It's a Kenmore Elite

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Confusion

Reading the posts on Garden Web just confuses me more! There are a number of complaints about LG and a number about Samsung (my other choice as it has an anti vibration system) and every other manufacturer of front loaders. There seems to be no close consensus on any manufacturer or model. I'm just going to have to wait and use them more and decide whether to return them or to try the pads under the feet. Sigh. I miss my old Maytag top loaders already.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We love our LG front loader but, we had a similar problem. We solved it by keeping the 20 bag of dog food laid out flat on top of the machine. With a little extra weight distrubeted realitively evenly across the top the vibration has been muffled very well.

LauraS93

Reaction score
We have the Whirlpool Duet Steam W&D.

Only if I want the clothes to be close to dry when they are done in the washer do I leave the spin cycle on "high" or "extra high." Otherwise, I use the medium spin setting.

HTH.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Our LG front loader doesn't have a problem with vibration during spin. It's on linoleum over a concrete floor.

We've had two difficulties with ours:

• Occasionally the electronics system crashes during a cycle - the display shows an "SE" code, for which you are supposed to call a technician. I've found that if I unplug the unit for about five minutes the system resets.

• The rubber bellows that connects the washer drum to the pump began leaking on ours after about one year of service. This part has an accordion design and is designed to flex so that it accommodates the vibrations and movement of the drum with respect to the motor.

The bellows failed in the flexure points of the accordion pleats - it was an obvious fatigue failure. Since the part is designed for flexure, it was clearly defective. I described the situation to the head of the appliance area at the local Home Depot where I bought the unit. He was very interested in getting the bellows so he could show it to the LG rep for the store.

• During the bellows incident I discovered the LG deliberately makes it hard for owners to do repair work on their units. When I found the leaking bellows I was able to contact an LG rep and buy a replacement. I then sent a customer feedback e-mail requesting that LG make repair manuals available for purchse (as does Kenmore). That led to a series of e-mail exchanges with a LG rep in which LG made very clear that they did not want cwners working on their own machines and that since I wasn't an authorized repair service I never should have been able to order the replacement bellows.

So right now if I'm out shopping for any new appliances, LG would probably not be at the top of my list, as I don't like paying $100 per hour for repairs that can easily be done by a semi-idiot such as I.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hmmm....

Well....does anyone have the Samsung front loaders?

I had my first set of Maytag for thirty years. The only repairs were two dryer belts over the years. This second set that I'd had for ten years were working just fine and have never been repaired.

Maybe I'd better buy an extended warranty on whatever I end up with!!!

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We also have the Kenmore. I was nervous about any brand, as all had good and bad reviews. Kenmore's price was so good I held my breath and bought it this winter.
It is quiet and has worked very well. No vibrations. Laundry is still an exciting part of my day.