• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Upgraded at Sheraton Broadway Plantation

sonnyk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

We are vacation at SBP this week at a 1BR resale that we bought from a barter program. Of course being newbies we sat down and got hooked by the owner presentation the day we got here. I spent all night last night researching through TUG and decided that the 2BR upgrade that they were trying to sell us made sense (2 kids, 4 and 9). So today we are now proud owners of a 2BR TS with 67,100 SO, MF 679 with 109 SVN fee. (Spread with trade-in was about 12K) They initially tried to push the 2BR LO but it just seemed a bit much for us.

We are from NJ and SBP is still drivable while VV is a bit far for us and the MF is higher (?)

So the question is, could I have done better? I still have 6 days to change my mind!

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I can only tell you that SBP 2BR goes for $2000-$2500 on resale. 2BR LO is about $4000.

So unless you are in love with the idea of StarPoints or using SVN to trade your SOs, I would RESCIND right now and just buy resale. It will save you another $8000!

Katherine

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind!! Rescind!!

I just purchased a 2 BR lockout for about $3000 with closing fees. At a minimum, you should rescind, buy another resale unit, and then upgrade your unit with the stipulation that they will requalify a second resale unit. It would be better to purchase a unit that would get you 148,100 staroptions. The SBP 2 BR lockout is only worth 81,000 staroptions.

Either way - resind! 67,100 can't get you very much in the Starwood system.

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only benefit in purchasing with the developer is that you are not adding another MF to your TS payments for the year (something the others may be missing). Also, if you are taking out a loan to pay for this, than you may be able to purchase a cheaper resale and afford the extra $ you will be paying for an additional $$ in resale. I agree with the others, RESCIND now and purchase resale. Also, if I were to do it over again, I would definately do the 2bed LO. It gives you more flexibility with your unit.

sonnyk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! thanks for all the replies...Here are my main reasons for doing what I did:

1. Don't want more MFs from multiple units
2. Trading SO is appealing to us as we are flexible with traveling at off seasons
3. SBP is close enough to drive if our financial situation changes

So now I have more questions:

1. If I were to rescind, buy another resale and asked to have it requalified, won't I still in the end have to buy from the developer, but now I would have 2 MFs? I guess the point of this is to have more SO? I checked that 67,100 can still get us in to the other resorts (although they might be 1 bedroom or studio deluxes).

2. lprstn, you mentioned that if I were to do it again, did you mean I should have upgrade to a 2 BR LO? (I think this would be 5k more) or did you mean get the 2 BR LO at resale and requalify?

3. Am I sensing that trading SO for other units is difficult? and that it may not be worth the extra 8k that I paid?

Thanks for all your replies!!

:confused:
sonnyk

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want staroption, I will buy another unit and then upgrade your current unit for $12K. Both unit will be in the network. You will become elite. You do have to pay 2 maintenance fees. HOwever, with > 67100 staroptions, you can always travel in the large 1 bedroom like Maui. With 67100, you can only get studio. Studio is too small for a family of 4.

I just requalify and upgrade to become 5 * Elite...

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. If I were to rescind, buy another resale and asked to have it requalified, won't I still in the end have to buy from the developer, but now I would have 2 MFs? I guess the point of this is to have more SO? I checked that 67,100 can still get us in to the other resorts (although they might be 1 bedroom or studio deluxes).

2. lprstn, you mentioned that if I were to do it again, did you mean I should have upgrade to a 2 BR LO? (I think this would be 5k more) or did you mean get the 2 BR LO at resale and requalify?

3. Am I sensing that trading SO for other units is difficult? and that it may not be worth the extra 8k that I paid?

sonnyk
1) yes, you would have 2 maintenance fees. If that is an issue, you probably should not do any of this. But if you care about those 67,100 staroptions, you might as well get enough staroptions to get a decent unit. The small one bedrooms are pretty small for a family of 4. You'd be trading your 2 bedroom unit for a much smaller unit.

3) if you can travel off-season, you should be okay. Hawaii has been fairly easy to get into, Harborside is more difficult, and St. Johns is almost impossible.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Wow! thanks for all the replies...Here are my main reasons for doing what I did:

1. Don't want more MFs from multiple units
2. Trading SO is appealing to us as we are flexible with traveling at off seasons
3. SBP is close enough to drive if our financial situation changes

So now I have more questions:

sonnyk

Hello Sunny, welcome to TUG :wave:

Do yourself a favor, rescind the deal...if u still think it is a good idea in 2 weeks - Starwood would happily sell to you again.

You can easily buy a 2BR L/O at that resort resale for $3,000-4,000 with a MF of about $850 - u can use the whole 2BR unit every year if u like...or u coud use the LARGE side 1BR for your yearly visit and trade the other smaller 1BR into many other TSs...for 2 vacations a year.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
So to clarify:

1. Rescind the deal
2. Keep your 1 Bedroom SBP
3. Buy for 3000-4000 a 2 bedroom lock off
4. Call starwood and ask for 1 bedroom to be upgraded to a 2 bedroom for the $12,000 (spread or better) and requalify your 2 bedroom resale at the sametime

Result lots more staroptions and starpoints possbilities (not good fiscally but good as a last resort)

Negative: Maintenance fees for 2 units instead of one but alot more vacation possibilities.

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Sunny, welcome to TUG :wave:

Do yourself a favor, rescind the deal...if u still think it is a good idea in 2 weeks - Starwood would happily sell to you again.

You can easily buy a 2BR L/O at that resort resale for $3,000-4,000 with a MF of about $850 - u can use the whole 2BR unit every year if u like...or u coud use the LARGE side 1BR for your yearly visit and trade the other smaller 1BR into many other TSs...for 2 vacations a year.

Like what GrayFal said, buy the 2 br L/O (resale), and I would buy it at another Starwood location that I would want to go to most of the time (one that already traded in SVN). That way you get the best of 3 worlds; you get to go to 2 places you enjoy, and you get to take your 2br L/O (that you paid a cheap resale price for) and trade it with II for 2 weeks, or you can rent 1 half of the lockout and use the other.

Also, you can pay your MF's monthly with Starwood. Like I paid last year's when I got the bill, then I started paying $70 a month toward's next years, that way I am not hit with a big bill at Christmas.

cvelasco

TUG Member
Reaction score
monthly mf?

HOw do you pay monthy mf's with starwood? I hate paying that bill in Jan after xmas

lprstn

TUG Member
Reaction score
After I got the bill for say 2006 in Dec. I called and asked if I could start paying towards the following year (2007). They said sure, told me where to mail it in, and I just mail in a payment every month towards my yearly dues. Usually I am finished paying off the bill by Oct. that way I can use the money for Christmas shopping. Its so not stressfull doing it this way. Also, you can pay a it online monthly using your debit or credit card.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
I agree with the recommendation to RESCIND.

If you rescind, then decide you really wanted to do the original deal with the developer after all, it will still be there. Once you've let the rescission deadline expire, if you find a better alternative, you're stuck.

Several people have suggested that you buy a resale week and then "requalify" it. However, it doesn't sound like you relly need/want two timeshare week or the associated maintenance fees.

One alternative that might be attractive for you is to team up with someone who has an existing resale week they want to requalify. they should be willing to subsidize your developer purchase in order to requalify their week.

For example, I think the same 12k paid to starwood could get you a 2 bedroom lockout worth 95k staroptions instead.

BTW, if you read more on TUG, you'll see that most people don't recommend having only 67k staroptions as that will keep you from getting certain kinds of trips through SVN (e.g. a 1 bedroom in Hawaii).

sonnyk

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the recommendation to RESCIND.

If you rescind, then decide you really wanted to do the original deal with the developer after all, it will still be there. Once you've let the rescission deadline expire, if you find a better alternative, you're stuck.

Several people have suggested that you buy a resale week and then "requalify" it. However, it doesn't sound like you relly need/want two timeshare week or the associated maintenance fees.

One alternative that might be attractive for you is to team up with someone who has an existing resale week they want to requalify. they should be willing to subsidize your developer purchase in order to requalify their week.

For example, I think the same 12k paid to starwood could get you a 2 bedroom lockout worth 95k staroptions instead.

BTW, if you read more on TUG, you'll see that most people don't recommend having only 67k staroptions as that will keep you from getting certain kinds of trips through SVN (e.g. a 1 bedroom in Hawaii).

Despite all the cries to rescind, we are still on the fence...

1. What's interesting is the unit we upgraded to is unit 17, which has the new furnitures but the cheaper developer pricing (21,900 vs 22900). If I rescind and those unit are sold, what if I end up with the old Embassy units?
2. How do you team up with someone to requalify? Doesn't the deed of the requalify unit have to be in my name?
3. We thought hard about this (up late the last several nights) and we are actually ok with smaller units traded. (We've vacationed in crappy places in the past, so the 1BR we're in now is like a palace to us...)
4. How is everyone paying for the airplane tickets to their multiple TS's???
5. We got the 1BR resale pretty cheap, so the 100% 10,500 trade-in seems like a steal...what has been the pattern with trade-in values?

Sorry if I'm being such a newbie! :confused:

Sonny

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Ok, I'll weigh in. I pretty much agree with advice above. But my bottom line is that people have the opportunity to get information and make their own decisions before it's too late. So, if after weighing all the advice, you feel it's right to go forward, that's your decision.

1. What's interesting is the unit we upgraded to is unit 17, which has the new furnitures but the cheaper developer pricing (21,900 vs 22900). If I rescind and those unit are sold, what if I end up with the old Embassy units?

Not sure about this, but I imagine you could request the new section when you make your reservation. At SBP, I'm not sure that even if you own in the new phase, you would be guaranteed to be placed there.

2. How do you team up with someone to requalify? Doesn't the deed of the requalify unit have to be in my name?

I don't think this has been tried, and I wouldn't try it myself.

3. We thought hard about this (up late the last several nights) and we are actually ok with smaller units traded. (We've vacationed in crappy places in the past, so the 1BR we're in now is like a palace to us...)

I understand that. However, I agree with others that 81,000 options give you more flexibility. It's amazing how quickly you can get accustomed to more space, and so I really like 1 bedroom units better than studios. If it was me, and I was going the upgrade route, I probably go for the 2 bd LO option to get the 81,000 options.

I think income levels vary widely on this board. Also, many use frequent flyer miles to get tickets.

5. We got the 1BR resale pretty cheap, so the 100% 10,500 trade-in seems like a steal...what has been the pattern with trade-in values?

Yes, but you could buy a mandatory 81,000 staroption unit resale for less than $10,500. If you only want one mf, then sell your 1 bd unit.

In the end, though, weigh all the advice, and make the decision that works best for you.

Glorian

Last edited:

Courts

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sorry if I'm being such a newbie! :confused:

Sonny
1) Are you in the "Palmetto" phase? If not, the unit does not matter.
2) You need to own both.
3) Your decision. We bought a resale two bed LO in Vistana and requaled with Broadway developer two bed LO. Each worth 81,000 for total 162,000 SO.
4) Yes, Air travel is becoming a problem.
5) Don't know what you had as trade-in so can't relate.