• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New to TS, have some Hawaii questions [Starwood]

kelela92

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, DH and I went to our first timeshare presentation. I loved it so much, we bought into it. After finding this site, of course, I realized, we made a mistake and am going to send a rescind letter.

I've been doing a lot of research and have some questions for those of you that already have TS's in Hawaii.

I saw the thread that asked who has properties on most if not all the islands. It was Shell, Worldmark, Wyndham, Vacation Internationale, and Starwood.

DH and I travel there at least once a year. We were interested in Starwood the most, because of their higher end hotels. I have yet to do more research on the others.

I guess my questions are:

1. Is paying $16k a typical price for Starwood. Annual, Platinum, 1 bedroom? This is resale and yes, we'd like to buy into the Westin on Maui (what was that acronym again, lol). Just wondering if there's better out there...or if that's "cheap".

2. It's a toss-up to those on the board to buy near or far. However, I know I'd like to purchase in Hawaii, so I don't have to deal with trading anything.

3. With the TS we bought (and are rescinding), it was a points system. If you typically buy a floating week, non-points, can you split it for two weekends or something? Or is that completely dependent on the company and therefore depends on what I buy into.

4. What are the main differences between II and RCI? I see those are the top two, but is it better to be in one, versus the other, for specific areas? We have II right now, and I like the idea of discounted prices for Interval Gold. Does RCI have somethign like that?

5. When you buy a resale, is there financing available? Or is it typically "cash" (whether its in the form of check, cash, credit card, personal loan)?

More info: We're probably not going to buy until next year, and definitely are looking for an annual TS. We typically travel in May, but that can change. We don't care about airfare, because let's be real, if I own something, it's still cheaper with higher airfare, versus paying higher airfare AND hotel costs.

Thanks to anyone who read through all of this. I'm trying to figure out what is our best bet, best buy, and still have options. We liked the flexibility of the points system, but realized, we'd be using II more than the home resorts. We figured we should just buy into a home resort in Hawaii, where we'll want to spend our time, versus constantly going through II.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Welcome to TUG! :hi:

I moved your post to the Starwood Board.

For starters, I'd like to suggest that you read the Starwood FAQ at the top of the board - it will answer many of your questions, and then come back and tell us what you don't understand.

Also - see the Sticky at the top of the board that lists current ebay resale prices for Starwood TS's.

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Redweek.com is a great place to search for resale timeshares. On the right side of the page, 2/3 of the way down, you will find a link to the various timeshare companies - Starwood, Marriott, etc.. You can definately find a great 1BR for $16K.

I think Starwood would make a great choice for you, as would Marriott and a few others. Starwood is points based with preferential timeframe to book at you home resort. Marriott is weeks base with trading priority amounst other Marriotts.

I have been a member of RCI for many years and WILL NOT be renewing after this year. RCI was bought out (indirectly) by Wyndham and seem to concentrate too much on rentals now. IMO I have just begun using II and have been very happy so far.

As far as using your week for "two weekends", I don't know. You would probably have to own a points based TS for that, not a Marriott. You can buy a 1BR at Marriott's Kauai Beach Club and divide your room into two. This way you can get two weeks out of one.

Good Luck and keep reading here on TUG. :)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
1. Is paying $16k a typical price for Starwood. Annual, Platinum, 1 bedroom? This is resale and yes, we'd like to buy into the Westin on Maui (what was that acronym again, lol). Just wondering if there's better out there...or if that's "cheap".

"Cheap" is relative - $16K for a 1Bd at WKORV is a good price. If you are looking at May vacations in HI - and view is not that important - consider buying Platinum season at WKV-Scottsdale (lower cost and MFs) that you can do a SVN exchange into 1Bd at SVO resorts in HI (WKORV, WKORVN, and WPORV) easily in May. And you can always drive to WKV from SoCal.

Good luck w/ those acronyms - and congrats in finding TUG before your recind period expired.

kelela92

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG! :hi:

I moved your post to the Starwood Board.

For starters, I'd like to suggest that you read the Starwood FAQ at the top of the board - it will answer many of your questions, and then come back and tell us what you don't understand.
Also - see the Sticky at the top of the board that lists current ebay resale prices for Starwood TS's.

Thank you. I was hoping I could get opinions on the other companies I listed too. Beyond just Starwood.

I have read the FAQ, and although very good, I've also got remaining questions.

Ohmigod though, THANK YOU for pointing out that Ebay link. Sorry I missed it. I guess what I want IS around the $16k I'm looking at. Yikes.

kelela92

TUG Member
Reaction score
Redweek.com is a great place to search for resale timeshares.

Thank you. I'll check out that site. I wasn't sure how good or bad using ebay was, so I was trying to stay away from there.

I think Starwood would make a great choice for you, as would Marriott and a few others. Starwood is points based with preferential timeframe to book at you home resort. Marriott is weeks base with trading priority amounst other Marriotts.

I forgot about Marriott, so I'll put that on my list to research.

As far as using your week for "two weekends", I don't know. You would probably have to own a points based TS for that, not a Marriott. You can buy a 1BR at Marriott's Kauai Beach Club and divide your room into two. This way you can get two weeks out of one.

I was debating out getting a LO, but figured it'd be more expensive, and typically more room than what DH and I need. But I guess if we plan on travelling more, it may be a good option.

Thanks.

kelela92

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Cheap" is relative - $16K for a 1Bd at WKORV is a good price. If you are looking at May vacations in HI - and view is not that important - consider buying Platinum season at WKV-Scottsdale (lower cost and MFs) that you can do a SVN exchange into 1Bd at SVO resorts in HI (WKORV, WKORVN, and WPORV) easily in May. And you can always drive to WKV from SoCal.

Good luck w/ those acronyms - and congrats in finding TUG before your recind period expired.

LOL. So very true about "cheap" being relative. I was also debating on buying elsewhere, but within SVO, but wasn't sure. Mostly because I don't want to be left on a limb trying to trade to Hawaii. I guess, at that point, I want a little more of a guarantee. And I also figured, with the higher Maui one, we could easily go to all the others, and get good rooms too.

As for the view. Because Dh and I go so much, we want that view. I'm tired of paying the cheapest I can, to get into the hotel I want, but I have a mountain view (as beautiful as it is, there's nothing more beautiful than an ocean front view).

Thanks for the info. I am keeping in mind to buy elsewhere. Did you pick the Scottsdale one, because of it's trading capabilities, over, say the two in Palm Springs, CA? Or because it's a "mandatory" property? I'm assuming the latter.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Because WKV is a Mandatory resort - and it is in Scottsdale (Spring Training and my folks live close by) - Palm Springs doesn't do much for me. It is also a great resort in a great location. The MFs are about half of WKORV - and less than 70% of the cost.

If you go to HI in May - you will not have an issue getting into WKORV/WKORVN via SVN (too soon to tell for WPORV), but if view is important then you may want to buy there - just make sure you call 12 months in advance when SVN opens.

We bought OF Dlx WKORV as our 1st SVO purchase (resale) after rescinding OF WKORVN (after we found TUG) - talk about "relative"... but we love it. We are in the process of buying our 2nd WKV (resale).

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are trading in through SVN it doesn't matter what Starwood resort you own, just the number of Staroptions you own. However, you are not guaranteed a particular view so you could end up looking at the parking lot at WKORV. I tend to agree with the "buy where you want to go" crowd.

I don't know how WKORV/N compares to WKV and other locations in terms of II trading power.

I like Starwood a lot and it is what I own. Once Hyatt gets going with their Kauai and Maui projects, they'd be next on my list. I like the Hyatt resorts best but they don't have as many options where I like to go. Marriott has some nice locations too. I think these three have the nicest properties in Hawaii.

kelela92

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because WKV is a Mandatory resort - and it is in Scottsdale (Spring Training and my folks live close by) - Palm Springs doesn't do much for me. It is also a great resort in a great location. The MFs are about half of WKORV - and less than 70% of the cost.

If you go to HI in May - you will not have an issue getting into WKORV/WKORVN via SVN (too soon to tell for WPORV), but if view is important then you may want to buy there - just make sure you call 12 months in advance when SVN opens.

We bought OF Dlx WKORV as our 1st SVO purchase (resale) after rescinding OF WKORVN (after we found TUG) - talk about "relative"... but we love it. We are in the process of buying our 2nd WKV (resale).

I am definitely going to need a printout for all these acronyms. lol.

Maybe you can help me a bit. I was reading the ebay list, and it says WKV Gold 81k points. What would that get me at WKORV? A decent room, but not OV/OF? I'm assuming not, since those are Plat 81k points. I think I'm getting confused with the "color" and the points. Does gold 81k points equal plat 81k? Ugh. lol. There's so much to learn. Thankfully, we put our purchase on hold until next year. Lots of time for me to do more research.

For everyone else, I think I'll probably be leaning toward Starwood or Marriott as we want the "luxury" and yes, willing to pay more for it.

BTW DavidnRobin, we play golf, so I'm sure Scottsdale or even PGA in Florida are good buys for us too. ;) Although, WVN is mandatory. I will definitely keep that in mind...once I figure out the point and color thing.

What do you mean by this?
just make sure you call 12 months in advance when SVN opens.
Was that meant for trade, or buying?

kelela92

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are trading in through SVN it doesn't matter what Starwood resort you own, just the number of Staroptions you own. However, you are not guaranteed a particular view so you could end up looking at the parking lot at WKORV. I tend to agree with the "buy where you want to go" crowd.

I'm assuming by buying at WKORV, I'm more guaranteed a view (by paying for it)? Versus trading through SVN?

I don't know how WKORV/N compares to WKV and other locations in terms of II trading power.

I like Starwood a lot and it is what I own. Once Hyatt gets going with their Kauai and Maui projects, they'd be next on my list. I like the Hyatt resorts best but they don't have as many options where I like to go. Marriott has some nice locations too. I think these three have the nicest properties in Hawaii.

I'd have to agree. :) I think Starwood is a good choice for us, because of their destinations, but Marriott is looking nice too, because they have a lot more. Granted, I haven't done any research yet. lol. One company at a time. hehehe.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you own with Starwood 81K points are 81K points, no matter the season. If you have that many points you can trade into another location. The number of points do not carry a "view" or "season" with them. 81K at WKV in any season will get you a 1BR in Maui, but it might be a WKORV parking lot view. There's no guarantee. Your exchange will probably be better in a low demand week.

If you buy a particular view, say OV at WKORV, you're guaranteed to get that view as long as you reserve between 12 and 8 months from your arrival date. If you wait until less than 8 months out you are just like someone trading in and do not have any guarantees.

I prefer the Westin location in Maui than the Marriott location, but that is a matter of personal preference. When I got into Starwood it was specifically for the Maui location and there was no comparison with the converted hotel rooms that Marriott had. Now that Marriott has its new towers, they are comparable luxury-wise. I don't like the hustle and bustle of Whaler's Village, though, and I prefer to have the reef for snorkeling in front of the property.

Be aware that with Starwood if you buy resale you can't combine Staroptions from separate purchases. So you can't buy two 81K units and then exchange into a 2 or 3BR unit elsewhere.

I'm undecided whether WKORV or WKORV-N is better (I own both). I like the larger OV units at WKORV, but the studio doesn't have a balcony so if I split weeks or just go for a studio, WKORV-N is better. Also, the better IV units at WKORV-N have better views than the lesser OV units at WKORV. It hasn't been a problem so far for me, but I'd hate to be in a first floor unit behind the pool restaurant at WKORV, or worse yet get assigned a parking lot view because I reserved on short notice. That will not happen at WKORV-N. For OF, WKORV wins hands down, though.

I travel internationally a lot. I use Starwood hotels abroad more than Marriotts so I like the tie-in with that hotel program. As much as people here belittle the Starpoint conversion option, I've had some great stays overseas staying at $1,000+/day suites. Sure they weren't 2BR villas, but since there was not a timeshare where I was going, it certainly covered the maintenance fees of several of my units. I prefer to rent out my unit if I can't use it, but the conversion option is not worthless when you use your hotel points wisely and it's a lot less hassle than trying to find a renter.

Last edited:

kelela92

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you own with Starwood 81K points are 81K points, no matter the season. If you have that many points you can trade into another location. The number of points do not carry a "view" with them....

Thanks. That makes more sense. So, if I buy elsewhere, I'll be sure to get at least 81k points. That way, I can go to Maui and get something. ;)

If you buy a particular view, say OV at WKORV, you're guaranteed to get that view as long as you reserve between 12 and 8 months from your arrival date. If you wait until less than 8 months out you are just like someone trading in and do not have any guarantees.

Makes sense and yet, kinda blows. lol. Just cuz you are "buying" into it, versus renting a room.

I prefer the Westin location in Maui than the Marriott location, but that is a matter of personal preference.

DH and I prefer the local life more so. But honestly, there's nothing really nice in Kihei and Waimea is way too expensive. Besides, when we were in Lahaina last time. We drove to the Kihei area at least everyday. I'm sure we'd end up doing the same from Ka'anapali. I'd prefer to be up in Kapalua or down near Waimea, but let's be real....it's too far to drive either way from there. ;) Lahaina was a good central locale, just busy and no nice hotels.

Thanks for all that information. This truly is helping me. It seems that Starwood is more what we'd like, and has more hotels in the areas we'd want to visit. They have their downsides, but I'm sure every company does.

Besides, next year, I have a family reunion on O'ahu and we want to go to the Big Island, so Maui will probably be put on hold until 2010. ;)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hmmm... hopefully you will got your questions answered above (and reading all you can in the stickies, and this forum). I know nothing about Marriott - we are Starwood folks (obviously).

A few things - and to clear up confusion - StarOptions (SOs) are used for exchanging into Timeshares via SVN. StarPoints (SPs) are used for Starwood hotel stays - if you buy resale (and don't requal/retro with a SVO purchase)- you lose the option to convert SOs to SPs. While it is a good option to have - buying directly from SVO for a lot more $$$ to get this 'benefit' is not worth it.

SOs = Starwood TimeShares
SPs = Starwood Hotels

RRR = Rescind, Research, and Resale (you are half-way there...)
The 4th 'R' is requal (or retro) - do not worry about this unless you what to get into the Starwood Elite program (or want the SO-SP conversion...) - besides you have to buy resale first unless you do them altogether like some folks have done here to get to Platinum-for-Life.

Buy at least 81K SOs - buy resale - buy where you want to go. However, my idea for buying Platinum season at WKV was for either staying there - or to do a SVN exchange into HI since you mentioned travelling during low season - especially with WKORVN and WPORV opening. btw, WPORV (Princeville, Kauai) is nestled between 2 world-class golf courses.

Buy Mandatory resale - unless you want to requal, then a Voluntary resort like WMH may have some upfront value since requaling a M resort is not as valuable as requaling a V resort - since M resorts already have SVN membership that come with them. However, if you sell a V resort - SVN does not transfer.

Since you are not looking to buy right now - read what you can - TS prices are falling somewhat in this economy. Most likely - the prices will likely become softer.

I know it is kind of opposite than what you would expect with regrards to reserving as an Owner - but that is how it works - therefore, you are somewhat forced to plan your vacations well ahead of time to get the best locations. We see this a plus for TSing since we would only do spur of the moment vacationing otherwise.

Starwood (Westins) works great for us - good luck

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't trust emuyshondt!

He's from Texas and tells BIG stories. :hysterical: JUST KIDDING! I have been trying to borrow one of those Ka'anapali weeks from him for over a year. :D

You know what you can do. You can go on a couple of preview stays in Maui and then decide for yourself. Both Marriott and Westin offer previews packages for their Maui properties. Last time I checked, each was $799 and included 5 nights at their respective Maui resorts.

Imagine 10 days in Maui!!!

kelela92

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... hopefully you will got your questions answered above (and reading all you can in the stickies, and this forum). I know nothing about Marriott - we are Starwood folks (obviously).

Oh, they're getting answered......and then some. :)

RRR = Rescind, Research, and Resale (you are half-way there...)
The 4th 'R' is requal (or retro) - do not worry about this unless you what to get into the Starwood Elite program (or want the SO-SP conversion...) - besides you have to buy resale first unless you do them altogether like some folks have done here to get to Platinum-for-Life.

Glad to know I'm on the right track. This forum is amazing. Obviously, I think I'd want to buy into it, before I start thinking about Elite and stuff like that. We just bought our first home in SoCal, so you can imagine what our pockets are looking like right now. ouch. lol. But we must travel. :)

Buy at least 81K SOs - buy resale - buy where you want to go. However, my idea for buying Platinum season at WKV was for either staying there - or to do a SVN exchange into HI since you mentioned travelling during low season - especially with WKORVN and WPORV opening. btw, WPORV (Princeville, Kauai) is nestled between 2 world-class golf courses.

Thanks. We probably could go to AZ, and play golf. Heck, my cousin lives there, so I'm sure it could be a nice get-together also. I'm not big on Kaua'i.......and this is why. I spent 5-6 weeks every year of my childhood over there during summer. Trust me, it got boring REAL fast. So, I kinda know the in's and out's of that place....went back last year after about 15 years of not going....not much changed. It's beautiful, and my dad showed me around his island again...trust me, that was enough to last me at least another 5 years. LOL.

Starwood (Westins) works great for us - good luck

Thanks again for all the info. It really has helped. Sadly, the Hawaii, Scottsdale, and PGA properties sold us. lol. Can you say GOLF, golf and more golf. :whoopie:

Okay. I should do some research on Marriott. lol. I've been slacking on reading that board, because it's been so fun reading this thread. lol

kelela92

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't trust emuyshondt!

He's from Texas and tells BIG stories. :hysterical: JUST KIDDING! I have been trying to borrow one of those Ka'anapali weeks from him for over a year. :D

You know what you can do. You can go on a couple of preview stays in Maui and then decide for yourself. Both Marriott and Westin offer previews packages for their Maui properties. Last time I checked, each was $799 and included 5 nights at their respective Maui resorts.

Imagine 10 days in Maui!!!

ooooo....now, if only my husband can get that time off. Oh screw him, he can go home, I'll stay on Maui. :) How do you get those preview packages?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you search this board for "Marriott" and the Marriott Board for "Starwood," you will find some comparisons of the two systems. (Use the SEARCH THIS FORUM BUTTON.)

In the Owner Resources Sticky there is a download that compares the 4 major systems.

Also, in the Owner Resources Sticky, there is a list of Starwood Acronyms.

IMNSHO, you don't want to finance a TS. You are already going to have BIG maintenance fee payments. It would take the fun out of it for me, if I was also making monthly payments at a high interest rates. There are lots of timeshares out there that you could pay cash for - for my first purchase, I would go for one of those.

Don't lock yourself into just one or two companies. There are some great deals out there, outside the big systems - For instance, I bought 2 ocean front units on Kauai for $1,300 and $1,500 on ebay.

And yes, ebay does have the best prices on resales and it's perfectly safe as long as you do your homework and use a reputable closing/escrow company.

You have to be referred by an owner for the 5 day preview Pkg., but we aren't allowed to offer or solicit referrals on the board. What you do privately, is you own business. ;)

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
ooooo....now, if only my husband can get that time off. Oh screw him, he can go home, I'll stay on Maui. :) How do you get those preview packages?

Here is the link to Marriott. Just click on each resort to see what, if anything, is being offered. You may then have to click the "rentals" link on some resorts. It looks like three of the four Hawaii Marriotts are offereing specila preview packages.

I don't have the link to Westin but will post it when/if I find it.

Added:
Here is one for Westin.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The current Westin/Sheraton offers are posted in the Owner Resources Sticky, but there are no current offers being advertised to the general public for Maui.

kelela92

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you search this board for "Marriott" and the Marriott Board for "Starwood," you will find some comparisons of the two systems. (Use the SEARCH THIS FORUM BUTTON.)

In the Owner Resources Sticky there is a download that compares the 4 major systems.

Just so you won't think I haven't looked at that thread, I have. ;) I just missed that link that compares all of them. So thank you for pointing it out. Very helpful.

Also, in the Owner Resources Sticky, there is a list of Starwood Acronyms.
Yup, got that. It's about memorizing it. hehehe.

IMNSHO, you don't want to finance a TS. You are already going to have BIG maintenance fee payments. It would take the fun out of it for me, if I was also making monthly payments at a high interest rates. There are lots of timeshares out there that you could pay cash for - for my first purchase, I would go for one of those.

I feel the same way, and so does DH. We wanted it "all", but we figured, for our first one, we are leaning towards the Scottsdale property. We can get a 2bd LO for the same price as a 1bd. It will give us more options and when we're ready, we can buy into the more expensive WKOCR.

You have to be referred by an owner for the 5 day preview Pkg., but we aren't allowed to offer or solicit referrals on the board. What you do privately, is you own business. ;)

Thanks.

kelela92

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is the link to Marriott. Just click on each resort to see what, if anything, is being offered. You may then have to click the "rentals" link on some resorts. It looks like three of the four Hawaii Marriotts are offereing specila preview packages.

Added:
Here is one for Westin.

Yummy! Thank you! Gotta go check these out.