• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbee Question....

Bodydoc2002

Reaction score
Is 22,000 dollars outragous for a flexible/Points system/VIP with 308,000 points? Its though Wyndham/RCI

thanks in advance...
Eric

Bodydoc2002

Reaction score
Ok another question

Is it really a big deal to give up the VIP services wynham by buying resale? I know VIP status is anything over 308,000 points...but its my understanding that you lose VIP status if you buy resale...

I'm looking at canceling my purchase now...I just bought it on friday...

Thanks again,

Eric Hendrix

Bill4728

Reaction score
VIP may be a nice little add on to the purchase of a Wyndham TS but by buying direct from Wyndham you're paying about $20,000 more for your TS than if you bought something similar via resell. VIP isn't worth $20,000

Rescind you purchase ASAP

PS follow the directions on how to rescind exactly. If it says to mail the letter, mail it via USPS not Fedex or UPS.

Good Luck

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind

Eric, rescind asap.

The VIP program isn't worth the 20K extra it costs.

If you plan to become a Mega owner 1 to 5 million points then the VIP premium services become a real value.

But on under 1 million, they are just fluff in the sales presentation.

Cancel now, and spend some time learning what system, resort, timeshare will work the best for you, then spend 1-3K for your purchase.

This advice only apples to this or other standard purchases, if you choose say Starwood, Marriott, Disney, they will all have to be researched.

fwiw, Greg

Is it really a big deal to give up the VIP services wynham by buying resale? I know VIP status is anything over 308,000 points...but its my understanding that you lose VIP status if you buy resale...

I'm looking at canceling my purchase now...I just bought it on friday...

Thanks again,

Eric Hendrix

Bodydoc2002

Reaction score
Thanks so much guys!

I've already contacted Wyndham. They offered me to add on any TS purchase I make....Say I buy 500,000 point system on Ebay...That would give me a total of 854000 points...would that make it worth the 20K to keep the VIP services? I'm working on the paperwork to cancel...I was just wondering what the pros (you guys!) think....thanks again...I'm sure I know the answer..lol...Just making sure i'm doing the right thing...

Eric

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've already contacted Wyndham. They offered me to add on any TS purchase I make....Say I buy 500,000 point system on Ebay...That would give me a total of 854000 points...would that make it worth the 20K to keep the VIP services? I'm working on the paperwork to cancel...I was just wondering what the pros (you guys!) think....thanks again...I'm sure I know the answer..lol...Just making sure i'm doing the right thing...

Eric

When you talk about getting a VIP, the sequence does not make any difference, you can buy it before you buy resell, you can buy it after you buy resell, you can buy it in the middle of you purchase resell. As long as your record show you have purchased 300k points from Wyndham, that is good enough. Generally, it is more likely get financial benefit at the end of the purchase.

As to if VIP worth 20K, do you know what you get? And of all the benefits, how many will you be able to use it? If you know nothing, how do you plan to recover the money when the rescind period is gone?

20k for 308k contract? that sounds cheap, does it only last for 2 years? Does you get a lot of bonus points in your way?

Jya-Ning

Last edited:

EAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are getting 308K points permanently from Wyndham at $0.07 per point, that is a relatively low price from Wyndham, which often charges $0.10 or $0.11 per point, but you could purchase the 308K points resale for about $0.01-$0.02 per point.

VIP status requires 300K points minimum. The points must either have been purchased from Wyndham, inherited, purchased from a family member, or obtained via the PIC system (buying a non-Fairfield non-RCI points RCI week and enrolling it in the PIC system at the same time that you buy points from Wyndham).

With PIC, a 3BR red week would be worth 254K points. You may PIC at most two weeks, and only at the same time you are buying points from Wyndham. The PIC rules can change, and your PIC points can go away if the resort joins RCI points. Be cautious. If you don't rescind this purchase, then buy a week on eBay, they may expect you to buy even more points before they will PIC the week you bought. Past purchases from Wyndham do not qualify you to PIC a week.

The VIP benefits can and do change and have been devalued in recent years (see example regarding ability to upgrade to a larger unit if available 30 days before checkin).

The regular VIP benefits worth noting are

25% points discount for reservations made 60 days or less before checkin (when most units in prime season are no longer available).

A upgrade to the next largest available TYPE (not size) at 30 days or less before checkin. You have to call to see if something's available. One used to be able to upgrade from the smallest available unit to the largest available unit. Then it was changed to an upgrade to the next largest available size. Now you may just upgrade from, say, a small 1BR to a larger 1BR.

Unlimited housekeeping credits (useful if you book a lot of short stays, but housekeeping credits aren't extremely expensive anyway). With 308K points you'd get 308 free housekeeping credits each year, which is enough for 4 stays of 7 or fewer days in a 2BR. You can buy additional housekeeping credits at $2.25 credit as I recall.

Early check in (2 P.M. instead of 4 p.m.) IF your unit is ready. No guarantee it will be ready.

Ability to make reservations at associate (not regular Wyndham or Wyndham affiliate) resorts at 13 months before checkin twice a year, subject to availability. Worldmark resorts are examples of associate resorts.

Are these benefits worth nearly $19,000?

It is worth noting that the benefits for VIP Gold (500K) and Platinum (1M) are somewhat better than the regular VIP benefits, and resale points do not count towards these levels either.

Autoeng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the easiest way to look at this is the deal will still be available in a month so rescind, research and if the value of VIP status still appeals to you then start the process over. They (Wyndham) will be happy to see you again.

What do you have to lose? $20,000.