• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Club Reservations; Are they Difficult?

judgerey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am new to HGVC, and was wondering about people's experiences making club reservations at the various resorts. How difficult is it to get reservations 9 months in advance? I'm sure it depends on size of room, resort, time of year, etc. Just interested in different experiences. Thanks.:wave:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Generally speaking it's not to difficult depending upon where you want to go. Keep in mind that most affiliate resorts, and most resort with HGVC are affiliated resorts and not HGVC built resorts, are listed as having limited availability.

One other problem that's likely to rear it's ugly head is the number of "bonus" points HGVC is offering prospective buyers. I've received offers of up to 14,000 HGVC bonus points if I buy another week. Since those points have to be used somewhere, availability could be impaired for as long as these offers go on. I was able to book a week in Hawaii for next year but, I did it at exactly 9 months out, I did not get the room size I prefered and since booking available rooms have declined until there was no more availability about 1 week after I booked my week.

In the past it's been much easier. Whether it's the new owners, owners booking more at their home resorts or all these bonus points offered for new purchases I can't say. Hawaii does seem to be their most popular destination. I see plenty of availability at the Las Vegas and Orlando resorts pretty much any time I look. 9 months does not seem to be a problem for Vegas and Orlando. I suspect there are also a lot of people who buy in at the less expensive resorts and try to go to the more expensive resorts such as Hawaii. I know that was partly what we were thinking and what I've heard every salesman in Vegas propose during any tours we've taken.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
One other problem that's likely to rear it's ugly head is the number of "bonus" points HGVC is offering prospective buyers. I've received offers of up to 14,000 HGVC bonus points if I buy another week. Since those points have to be used somewhere, availability could be impaired for as long as these offers go on.
I thought bonus points could only be used for RCI or Open Season reservations, not Club reservations at 9 months out. If I am misinformed, someone please correct me.

Thanks,
Kurt

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I thought bonus points could only be used for RCI or Open Season reservations, not Club reservations at 9 months out. If I am misinformed, someone please correct me.

Thanks,
Kurt

I have never looked really hard into it. All I know is how they're being sold by some salesmen and the literature I'm receiving indicates they can be used for hotel stays or HGVC reservations. Even if they're only good for RCI exchanges, I wonder if HGVC is having to give up inventory or if RCI is just providing extra weeks. If they're good for any exchange within the RCI system then I'd tend to believe that HGVC is having to give up inventory to RCI for the exchange.

I know that HGVC is building a TON of inventory in both Vegas and Orlando so there should be plenty of give away weeks in those locations. Of course, the salesmen always talk Hawaii vacations but sell Orlando and Vegas inventory. Eventually there has to be a point where it becomes difficult if not impossible to get into Hawaii using the club reservation system.

On the other hand, with airfare doing what it's doing there could be a balance of people who own in Hawaii wanting to go to Vegas, Orlando or some other affiliate resort within the HGVC system. If that happens, Vegas and Orlando may always have good availability because of the number of units available but the affiliates with their limited availability could become the tougher exchanges to get into.

Either way HGVC has, IMO, been paining itself into a corner by offering all those bonus points, building tons of units in Vegas/Orlando but telling people it's "easy" to get into Hawaii with those points and by not expanding into other vacation destinations that might be of interest to it's members for both exchange and new purchases. I know I have not interest in owning additional points with Hilton because of their lack of variety of Hilton built timeshares and reliance on affiliation with other resorts or resrort chains.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At 9 months, it's generally no problem at all. You would only expect a problem if you're traveling to a popular destination during a holiday; e.g. Hawaii at Christmas. Almost anything else is pretty easy.

The Club Season reservations start getting booked up and hard to find if you wait until a few months ahead. If you wait until 2-3 months, you may have a problem.

By way of example, I booked Labor Day weekend at the Flamingo in Las Vegas. I booked it at about 7-8 months, and had no problem getting exactly what I wanted. Right now, at 3 1/2 months out, the 2 BR at the Flamingo are sold out. But I could still get anything I want at the Strip location, or a 1 BR at the Karen Ave location.

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC

That's correct. Or they can be used for stays at Hilton hotels. It used to be 5000 bonus points for a week at a category 6 hotel.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
That's correct. Or they can be used for stays at Hilton hotels. It used to be 5000 bonus points for a week at a category 6 hotel.

Then the salesmen are lying agian as if that's any surprise. Still, Hawaii is a tough booking unless you're right at the 9 month mark and even then units are limited. Last year when I looked it was no problem This year when we wanted to go it has been. I keep looking because I'd still like to get a 2 bedroom ocean view but I look ahead to see if it was just an anomally or if that's the way it's going to be this year.

Keep in mind that Vegas is overbuilt by Hilton. Vegas and Orlando are ALWAYS easy to get booking 9 months or less out. Even the holiday's haven't been much of a problem. Hawaii and the affiliates are a different story.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Generally speaking it's not to difficult depending upon where you want to go. Keep in mind that most affiliate resorts, and most resort with HGVC are affiliated resorts and not HGVC built resorts, are listed as having limited availability.

If you could follow that, you're a better man than I, Gunga Din (Kipling).

Certain resorts and certain travel periods are more difficult to book than others. Areas with a lot of vacation properties like Orlando and Vegas, are not difficult at all. But some high-demand properties are quite difficult, probably due to owners' home-season reservations. The best practice that I have found is to keep checking back -- which is easy to do on the website.

It is worth noting that many HGVC-affiliated resorts (as opposed to HGVC-built resorts) may be listed as unavailable, but release blocks of units for HGVC reservations at different points in time. After attempting for months to get into the the HGVC affiliate in Cancun via the website, I was suddenly surprised to find plenty availability... which lasted for about 72-hours.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
If you could follow that, you're a better man than I, Gunga Din (Kipling).

Certain resorts and certain travel periods are more difficult to book than others. Areas with a lot of vacation properties like Orlando and Vegas, are not difficult at all. But some high-demand properties are quite difficult, probably due to owners' home-season reservations. The best practice that I have found is to keep checking back -- which is easy to do on the website.

It is worth noting that many HGVC-affiliated resorts (as opposed to HGVC-built resorts) may be listed as unavailable, but release blocks of units for HGVC reservations at different points in time. After attempting for months to get into the the HGVC affiliate in Cancun via the website, I was suddenly surprised to find plenty availability... which lasted for about 72-hours.

I guess what I should have said was, Vegas and Orlando are easy. Hawaii needs to be booked at 9 months out. Even at 9 months out Hawaii might be limited as far as the type of units availabe. The rest are affilated resorts that were not built by Hilton. Most of the affiliated resorts are listed as having limited availability. Translate limited availability as probably being difficult to get, even at the 9 month window.

Basically, if you want to go to Vegas or Orlando you in like Flynn. If you want to go to Hawaii, can book at the 9 month mark and don't absoultely have to have a particular unit with a particular view, you're still good. Anything else is a big maybe IMO.