Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > General Discussion > TUG Lounge

TUG Lounge The place for all discussions that don't fit into the other defined forum areas. Posts discussing politics, religion, and controversial social issues that are not directly related to timesharing are not permitted.

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old June 23, 2008, 01:29 PM   #1
CMF

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 11, 05

Resorts: Foxrun Townhouse Week 30; Marriott Manor Club Platinum; Marriott Barony Beach Gold
Golf: Do real men use women's clubs?

The pro shop at the range had a bunch of used drivers for sale on Saturday and I could not resist [in spite of promising myself that I would concentrate on my putting] to hit them. Finally, I found a driver that I can hit! I bought the club and looked it up on the web when I got home. You know it - it's a woman's club. The purple color should have been a tip off.

I feel self conscious as it is on the course. Swinging a woman's driver is only going to make it worse. What to do? What to do?

Charles
  3. Foxrun/7-12
  4. NYNY - Thanksgiving Parade

Yahoo Manor Club Owner's Group
CMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2008, 05:47 PM   #2
gary01
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05
Real men CAN use women's clubs but they CAN NOT use the women's tees...
gary01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2008, 05:55 PM   #3
GrayFal

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Marriott;BlueGreen;CMV-UDI Morritt's Seaside;WYN Pts BlueBeard's BeachClub
I don't know - you tell US!
Old June 23, 2008, 06:42 PM   #4
basham

TUG Member

A real golfer will use anything that gives him an advantage.

So use it.

It is good for a funny story if a comment is made.
basham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Jestjoan

TUG Member

Lightbulb

Don't tell and no one will know......You can have it regripped (I think that's the right word) if you can't stand it. You didn't know it is a woman's club. I doubt anyone else will.
Jestjoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2008, 08:26 PM   #6
easyrider

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 21, 05

Resorts: Worldmark *Villa Del Palmar UVC * Eaglecrest * RCI
Charles
My swing speed has slowed to the point that the pro said to use a Senior or Woman driver. Your use of one makes me want to try one. So when my buddies say "you hit that like a girl " maybe I will have a better excuse than the one I used yesterday.
easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Cathyb

TUG Member

Resorts: Marriott DSV I & Newport Coast; Westin Mission Hills; The Whaler/Maui July 4; Pono Kai/Kauai /Wk 52; Worldmark; Carlsbad
I'm so tall that Women's clubs are too short, so my DH bought me men's clubs. Unfortunately they are gathering dust in the garage because I am a failure -- four different instructors over 10 years and 3 told me to take up another sport
Old June 23, 2008, 10:21 PM   #8
easyrider

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 21, 05

Resorts: Worldmark *Villa Del Palmar UVC * Eaglecrest * RCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathyb View Post
I'm so tall that Women's clubs are too short, so my DH bought me men's clubs. Unfortunately they are gathering dust in the garage because I am a failure -- four different instructors over 10 years and 3 told me to take up another sport
Maybe try a flexible shaft.
easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2008, 11:06 PM   #9
bobcat
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 6, 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMF View Post
The pro shop at the range had a bunch of used drivers for sale on Saturday and I could not resist [in spite of promising myself that I would concentrate on my putting] to hit them. Finally, I found a driver that I can hit! I bought the club and looked it up on the web when I got home. You know it - it's a woman's club. The purple color should have been a tip off.

I feel self conscious as it is on the course. Swinging a woman's driver is only going to make it worse. What to do? What to do?

Charles
Play with what you can hit. You can buy a purple pair of pants to match the club. Tell people its your WOW color.
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2008, 12:11 AM   #10
Harvey and Lin
TUG Member

Resorts: Marriots DS II Hacienda del mar tug member since 1995
Quote:

Charles
Charles, just how much extra distance did you get from the new club? How far do you hit your best tee shot now? Curious male minds want to know. Harvey

Last edited by Harvey and Lin; June 24, 2008 at 12:12 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Harvey and Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2008, 11:25 AM   #11
CMF

TUG Member

Resorts: Foxrun Townhouse Week 30; Marriott Manor Club Platinum; Marriott Barony Beach Gold
I broke the 200 yard barrier regularly with this club. My longest drive was about 230. The 3 wood that I was hitting off the deck was getting me about 175 yards. My men's driver has a 10 degree loft and the shaft is about an inch longer. The ladies Tava has a 14 degree loft. The most important thing though is that I hit it straight more often than not.

My first problem overall was making good contact with the ball. Now I have to worry about slices and hooks more than anything.

Funny thing is, the better I get the more frustrated I become.

Charles
  3. Foxrun/7-12

Old June 24, 2008, 12:20 PM   #12
silvib

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 25, 07

Resorts: Celebrity Resorts Palm Coast
If it works for you - stick with it! There are times we need all the help we can get.
silvib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2008, 12:51 PM   #13
Eric in McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathyb View Post
four different instructors over 10 years and 3 told me to take up another sport
Seriously? I've been golfing for years and I would like to get from high teen handicap to low teen or maybe even single digit. I'm paying out the wazoo for lessons but I think the money is too good for the instructor to tell me that I will never play much better.
Eric in McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2008, 12:55 PM   #14
Eric in McLean

The two big differences btwn men's and women's is the length and flexibility of the shaft. Women's are usually shorter, and as you know, shorter clubs are easier to control. Women's clubs are also more flexible, even more so than senior flex. If you can hit this club 230 yards, then you shouldn't be using women's or senior flex. I hit my stiff flex driver 220 to 240 yards. Try hitting a shorter regular flex club. You might want to get on a launch monitor to find out what equipment you should use.
Old June 24, 2008, 12:59 PM   #15
CMF

TUG Member

Eric, are you saying that I am likely to get more distance with a stiffer shaft??

Charles
  3. Foxrun/7-12

Old June 24, 2008, 02:17 PM   #16
skierbri10
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: May 28, 06
I didn't read everyones post, but womens clubs are built for shorter people. The shafts are not as stiff so people with slow swings would benefit. Usually, the head of the club is the same or similar as a mens club. The grip might be smaller for the smaller female hand. I have heard of a few pros on the PGA tour using a womens club. I couldn't tell you who though.
Old June 25, 2008, 07:52 AM   #17
caribbeansun

TUG Member

Resorts: Castaways Cove (aka Reef Resort)
More loft straighter shot.

You can always spray paint it black

Quote:
I broke the 200 yard barrier regularly with this club. My longest drive was about 230. The 3 wood that I was hitting off the deck was getting me about 175 yards. My men's driver has a 10 degree loft and the shaft is about an inch longer. The ladies Tava has a 14 degree loft. The most important thing though is that I hit it straight more often than not.

My first problem overall was making good contact with the ball. Now I have to worry about slices and hooks more than anything.

Funny thing is, the better I get the more frustrated I become.

Charles
Old June 27, 2008, 05:38 PM   #18
LynnW
TUG Member

Resorts: Meadow Lake Golf & Ski Resort, Mayan Palace, Grand Destinations
Charles

I posted in your other golf thread about the pro who came to talk to our ladies group and now remember there were a few men there including my DH's retired doctor. Well I found out yesterday that Dr John bought the whole set of the ladies clubs she was promoting! I'm not sure if he picked the pretty emerald green ones with the flexible shafts or the purple ones

BTW he also likes to play golf with the ladies!

Lynn
LynnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2008, 08:47 PM   #19
dukebigtom
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 12, 08
Driver?

IF the loft is 14 degree, for all intents and purposes you are hitting a 3 wood anyway. I always tease the guys I play with that real men use drivers off the tee not 3 woods. If they hear about this, they'll be wanting to know where you can buy this purple club.

BigTom
dukebigtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2008, 11:13 PM   #20
Eric in McLean

Not more distance but more control. It's always a trade-off. If you can hit it 230, then you can sacrifice a little distance for more control. If you really enjoy the game, I suggest you work on your flexibility. It's not brute strength in golf, it's more about flexibility, technique, and contact.
Old June 28, 2008, 02:32 PM   #21
Kozman
TUG Member

Resorts: VIP Gold Fairfield Greensprings Powhatan Peppertree Atlantic Beach Silver Lake Resort Lehigh Resort
Man Purse? Woman's Clubs.

If you are a very short guy I'm sure you could use womens clubs. Heck, if you can use a man purse, then why not woman clubs!
Kozman is offline   Reply With Quote