• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Toll Roads-Chicago to Kalamazoo-How much?

Malibu Sky

Reaction score
I just looked up our route and it seems were will be going down some toll roads from Chicago to Kalamazoo. I am totally unfamiliar with toll roads...being from Los Angeles, and I have no idea what this trip may cost. Do I need a roll of quarters or do they take cash (bills). Anyone have any idea how much this will cost me and what amount of cash will we need to take with us?

Thanks from a toll road neophyte....

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends where in Chicago you're starting from and which route you take. If you stay on I-94 there are no tolls. I-90 and I-294 are toll roads. The tolls are usually in the range of 50 cents to a buck-fifty. If you take the Skyway bridge (I-90 between downtown Chicago and Gary, IN), I think its $3 just to go over the bridge. The cash-lane toll booths are staffed and they make change. I usually choose my route through Chicago based on current traffic conditions.

Last edited:

Malibu Sky

Reaction score
It depends where in Chicago you're starting from and which route you take. If you stay on I-94 there are no tolls. I-90 and I-294 are toll roads. The tolls are usually in the range of 50 cents to a buck-fifty. If you take the Skyway bridge (I-90 between downtown Chicago and Gary, IN), I think its $3 just to go over the bridge. The cash-lane toll booths are staffed and they make change. I usually choose my route through Chicago based on current traffic conditions.

Thanks for the reply. I have a GPS and plan on following the directions it gives me from our current location (Glenview, IL) to Kalamazoo. Would it be best to just avoid the toll roads, I can change the settings to avoid the toll roads? I am not really concerned about the cost but really more about the time..would you suggest I take I-94? I was under the assumption that the toll roads were better reaods, is that not correct?

Thanks

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think the toll roads are better. They're just alternate routes. If I were you, I'd just get on I-94 and follow it all the way. Your GPS will probably route you over the Skyway because it is shorter (but only by 5 miles). Shorter is not necessarily faster, as you can run into heavy traffic at anytime on any route (being from LA, I'm sure you can relate).

If you're up for a challenge, listen to the traffic report on WBBM (AM 780) while enroute, and choose your route accordingly. Fair warning, they rattle off the traffic report so fast that its relatively useless to anyone unfamiliar with the expressway names.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Illinois Tollway .com

Start by visiting Illinois Tollway .com

Home Page

Go to the left side (blue color) and select I-Pass
Here you will learn all about the Illinois I-Pass
All you need is some basic information and $50 ($10
refundable deposit/$40 pre-paid tolls) to get started.

Next look at the (pink color) middle box
This section will tell you about traffic and construction
Lane closures and Travel Tips..

On the right side (green color)
You will find information about tolls & rates
There are maps to help you plan your trip

Michigan

The 2008 Michigan State and Local Map PDF online

The newest edition of the State Transportation map is now available at locations across the state and online. Produced by MDOT and widely distributed free of charge through Travel Michigan Welcome Centers and MDOT offices, the new edition features the state's beautiful freshwater coastline. Order your free Michigan State Map online..

michigan .gov/mdot/

Post 1200

svwoude

TUG Member
Reaction score
We travel to Chicago several times every year, and 9 times out of ten, the toll road and Skyway is much faster! With much less traffic.

Steve

Malibu Sky

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise, I was listening to the traffic reports today while driving into Chicago, I had no idea where they were talking about....except we were sitting in traffic so one of the locations must have been ours!!

I think we will just head out on I-94....and see what happens....

and Marty, I received your e-mail...thanks so much!!