Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timesharing > Buying, Selling, Renting

Buying, Selling, Renting Discuss all aspects of buying, selling and renting timeshares here. No advertising allowed!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old October 13, 2008, 07:59 AM   #1
domingo
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 13, 08
Refinance current contract to lower rate

Has anyone refinanced a timeshare loan. My current loan is at 9.99% and I'm going to talk to Bank of America to see if I can get that down to 7%. If anyone knows of a bank that is willing to refinance a timeshare loan please let me know. I have good credit, but I'm trying to reduce my monthly payment so I can put more in my kids college 529 plan. Can you say sucker because that is me, they should have a class on how to purchase timeshare without getting ripped off.
domingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2008, 08:37 AM   #2
geekette

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05
It is generally very difficult to get anyone to take on a timeshare loan, and I would think with the current financial market hoo hah, it would be next to impossible.

If you get 0% interest offers for balance transfers, I'd go that route, assuming you cannot get a HELOC.

The class for buying without getting ripped off is on these boards. But, at this point, learn how to make the most of what you own.
geekette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2008, 08:44 AM   #3
domingo
TUG Member

that is good advice I will apply for a credit card with a 0% balance offer and transfer as much as I can to that card. Discover just sent me a 0% balance transfer offer for life if I just make 50$ in purchases every month after the first year of balance transfer. With the price of gas 50$ in purchases is nothing that is one fillup a month.
Old October 13, 2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 16, 04
Banks won't finance timeshares. Too much paperwork for too little profit.

Other than a credit card....

The only sources for timeshare loans seem to be developers (e.g., the loan you already have), Tammac Financial and First Again. The interest rates for First Again are around 8%, but the interest is not deductible for income tax purposes. The Tammac loans carry a higher rate than what you are currently paying and the interest isn't deductible.

Your best bet for saving money, if you own your home and have equity, is to refinance or obtain a home equity loan. The interest rate is likely to be the lowest available and the interest will almost certainly be deductible.

Last edited by Bill4728; October 13, 2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: fixed link
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2008, 06:26 PM   #5
Hawaii123

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 13, 05
2 Ts Refinance Companies

TRY:

tammac.com &
firstagain.com
Hawaii123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2008, 07:39 PM   #6
Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 16, 04
Uhhh....

Those are the recommended two links in my post of this morning.
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2008, 11:19 PM   #7
MOXJO7282
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingo View Post
that is good advice I will apply for a credit card with a 0% balance offer and transfer as much as I can to that card. Discover just sent me a 0% balance transfer offer for life if I just make 50$ in purchases every month after the first year of balance transfer. With the price of gas 50$ in purchases is nothing that is one fillup a month.
Do not do this. The financing for the purchase amount is very high and when you pay your bill it goes to the lower of the % in your account so the purchase amount never goes down and your financing is much higher over all. Find a card that has a 3% balance transfer fee, with hopefully a cap of $100, but caps are getting rare.

Regards.
Joe
MOXJO7282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2008, 09:13 AM   #8
gorevs9
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Mar 18, 08
If you have good credit, the ability to pay, and own a home, have you considered a home equity Line of Credit (not a home equity loan). Not only can you pay off your high interest loan (though at 9.99% it's not terrible), you may be able to deduct the interest payments.
gorevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2008, 10:31 AM   #9
domingo
TUG Member

Thanks Joe I will avoid the credit card solution, but I am going to check into the home equity line of credit. Thanks everyone for the help, I need to take a class in financing.
Old October 14, 2008, 11:28 AM   #10
Jya-Ning
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 15, 05

Resorts: Fairfield Kingsgate 84,000 Fairfield Cypress Palm 126,000 Even Year Usage Fairfield Palm Aire 168,000 Odd Year Usage
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingo View Post
Thanks Joe I will avoid the credit card solution, but I am going to check into the home equity line of credit. Thanks everyone for the help, I need to take a class in financing.
Not line of credit. It is variable rate, and I believe the rate will become highly more likely.

If you talk to Bank of American about refinance your current mortgage, you maybe able to get the equity out that just cover your TS loan, and pay it that way. It will be cheapest when trying to get access you equity.

But that means for next 30 years, if you have problem to make payment, you will have problem keeping your house.

Jya-Ning
Jya-Ning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2008, 03:04 PM   #11
gorevs9
TUG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jya-Ning View Post
If you talk to Bank of American about refinance your current mortgage, you maybe able to get the equity out that just cover your TS loan, and pay it that way. It will be cheapest when trying to get access you equity.
Jya-Ning
Without knowing the balance of the loan and the term left to pay, it's difficult to suggest the best solution.

While interest rates for LOCs are variable, many LOCs have no closing costs and IMHO, are a better vehicle for a borrowing a lower amount of cash for a short term. Closing costs to refinance an existing mortgage could result in total costs which exceed the variable rate LOC.

I'll probably be chastised for this, but I've “played” the 0% credit card game a few times while paying off my daughter's college bills. I keep the $$ in interest bearing accounts while I pay the minimum each month. At the end of the promotional period I can either pay off the balance or roll it over to another 0% card (I'm guessing my credit report is about 5 inches thick about now )

If you play it right, you can even get a bunch of Frequent Flyer miles as well.

Last edited by gorevs9; October 14, 2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old October 14, 2008, 03:36 PM   #12
sernow

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Dec 8, 06
"I'll probably be chastised for this, but I've “played” the 0% credit card game a few times while paying off my daughter's college bills. I keep the $$ in interest bearing accounts while I pay the minimum each month. At the end of the promotional period I can either pay off the balance or roll it over to another 0% card"

I've known people who have played this "game" poorly with disastrous financial consequences.
sernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2008, 03:57 PM   #13
gorevs9
TUG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sernow View Post
"I've known people who have played this "game" poorly with disastrous financial consequences.
THose are probably the same people who used a sub-prime mortgage to buy a house they could not afford.
Old October 18, 2008, 06:21 PM   #14
MaryH
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 9, 05

Resorts: Hyatt Beach House, KW; RHC (Allen House LON, Powell Place SF, Citidines Paris), Chateau Orleans, NOLA x2; IPV ID
If you use a 0% or low 1-2% financing CC for balance transfer, put the card away and do not use it again until the balance transfer has been paid off. Also you need to make the regular payments religiously since a lot of the cards have provisions that if you miss a payment or deadline, the interest go up right away.

I get those offers all the time but have not use it at all. My BIL used it when they were purchasing a car using a credit card with 1.99% balance transfer or cash advance not reading the small print and did not realize that it carried a 1% fee for setting it up as well as other purchases would carrying a close to 20% interest rate. He continued to use the credit card for close to 2 months until my sister read the credit card statement in detail just before paying it and it was a bit of a mess to clean up. If you needed the money for only 1-2 months, the set up fee makes it a far higher APR and continuing to use the credit card for purchases start incurring interest right away without any interest free days so approxmiately 1.5-2.5% when you pay on the due date.
2013: Hotel: Vendome Paris, Westin NOLA
MaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2008, 10:30 PM   #15
Talent312

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 4, 07

Resorts: HGVC, Gatlinburg
When I remarried about five years ago, I needed to help my [new] wife reduce a sizeable debt that she had incurred prior to our marriage (for legitimate reasons), so I strarted playing the 0%-teaser rate game about five years ago.

Some cards had no transfer fees (HSBC?) and some did, but those that did, had a cap on the fee. We made sure that we did not use the card for any other purpose which would accrue interest. The debt was finally paid in full last month... just in time for us to lose a like amount in the stock market. <SIGH>
Talent312 is offline   Reply With Quote