• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Right of First Refusal

AFJAY

Reaction score
We are working on purchasing a resale, Las Vegas Gold, 2 Bedroom, 5000 points, Every year, for $ 6000.

Agent says we have a 60% chance of this going through.. with Hilton,

Anyone have any idea on how aggressive Hilton is stepping in on these deal ??

Thanks

AF Jay

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Who knows what the gnomes staring at their computer screens in the cubicles will do?
But I'd say that you've got a decent shot. It may depend on how many similar units they already have in inventory and expect to move in the near term. Given this economy, they prob'ly have plenty of like-units on their books, not going anywhere, just sitting there, that they'll pass on yours.

Last edited:

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In this economy, I'd say it's almost certain. $6000 for 5000 points, while a decent deal, is really not out of the ordinary.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hgvc Rofr....

Hilton has been EXTREMELY aggressive on platinum ownerships and has been buying these at unprecedented levels- but hasn't shown the same interest in other seasons.

For a 2br Gold, I believe at $7k- you wouldn't have to worry, but at $6k- you're pushing the envelope just a little. Your agent is probably spot on that it could go either way...

(Don't worry unless you are already trying to make plans for your next holiday- this simply means you've made a great offer! If you were confident you'd pass- you'd simply worry you paid too much!)...

Worst case scenario- find another seller and try again...

Congrats!

kool_kat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Tuscany and HGVC at Flamingo; DVC at Bay Lake Towers
I just purchased a 2 br, 5000 points for $6,300. However, it was at the Flamingo with no ROFR. But that gives you an idea at what the going prices are right now. I could have also got the same thing at LV Hilton for the same price.

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
How ROFR works at Hilton

If an ebay reseller submit documents for a transfer (sale) to Hilton, does the contract is to be backed by the entire payment (with a check or cashier's check), just a deposit, or no payment (just a contract). This is for ROFR considerations.

How long is it taking for Hilton to reply back?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Rewritten for coherence:
If a [seller] submits a [transaction] to Hilton [for a ROFR review], does the contract [have] to be backed by the entire payment (with a check or cashier's check), just a deposit, or no payment (just a contract)?
How long [does it take] for Hilton to reply back?

1. A "Request for Waiver" form is submitted along with a copy of the parties' sales contract. No proof of payment or proof of is required at that time; however, the documents must show what sum have been and what remains to be paid.

B. As stated earlier, it takes 2 - 3 weeks for Hilton to respond

Last edited:

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Rewritten for coherence:

1. A "Request for Waiver" form is submitted along with a copy of the parties' sales contract. No proof of payment or proof of is required at that time; however, the documents must show what sumd have been and what remains to be paid.

B. As stated earlier, it takes 2 - 3 weeks for Hilton to respond

Thanks Talent312 for taking the time to clean my post and providing the necessary info . I am a bit confused about the word "sumd" in your reply. Maybe you can make that coherent as well :wall:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I am a bit confused about the word "sumd" in your reply. Maybe you can make that coherent as well :wall:

Sure. The word was misspelled and should read, "sums." :doh:

Socko33

Reaction score
In August, I got a 5000 Gold Las Vegas on the Strip for $6000

Passed with no problem

Good luck!

ctyatty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ebay Hilton 3400 points

Item number: 300272861605

the listing says MF are 570.92.

Auction ends in an hour or so, price is at $1625 plus closing costs, sounds like anything under $3000 would be a deal???

Seth Nock

Reaction score
The 5000 point unit @ $6000 should pass. The 3400 point unit @ $1800 should be bought back under right of first refusal. However, sometimes Hilton will surprise us. You must read the details from the EBAY seller. Some will take the entire purchase price by credit card and then refund either the entire purchase price or the entire purchase price minus a service fee if it gets bought back. Others will just ask for a deposit. Also, you may want to make sure the EBAY seller owns the unit or is a licensed broker before giving them any money. This will protect your rights. I hope this helps.

ctyatty

TUG Member
Reaction score
If PCC knows the going rate for ROFR why don't they just make up some paperwork and avoid eBay all together??

Also how do they get the points to begin with if Hilton does the ROFR?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If PCC knows the going rate for ROFR why don't they just make up some paperwork and avoid eBay all together? Also how do they get the points to begin with if Hilton does the ROFR?

They usually "get the points" with a contract and power of attorney, not an actual sale.
They sell units that suckers paid them a "fee" to make the units disappear, so these "brokers" don't really care what the sell for. That's not to say that collusion to get a sale past ROFR does not happen.

Last edited:

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just had a 5,000 point Hilton New York City Points package pass ROFR for $6,500.

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Right now only Disney appears to be exercising ROFR regularly, and even they might start cutting back if the economy doesn't improve. The simple fact is that developers don't want to acquire more inventory that they can't sell. The buyers are few and the financing has dried up. Buy any week you want as cheap as you can get it, and most (if not all) of your purchases will pass ROFR. This is the best buyers market for resale timeshares that there has ever been IMO.

AFJAY

Reaction score
Hilton exercises ROFR on 4 props, but I'm still waiting for an answer.

Spoke with our rep today, and she was hoping to have an answer from Hilton today, but it didn't come back. She did get 4 back from Hilton, but not mine. She did say though that Hilton did exercise Right of First Refusal on those 4. 3 were platinum and one was Gold. Do not have any further details.

AFJAY

Reaction score
Got Las Vegas Hilton on the Strip EY 5000 for 6k

Got the news today that Hilton Waved ROFR on our bid, so we are moving forward on closing on Las Vegas on the strip 5000 points, every year for 6,000, maint. fees have already been paid for 2008 and the owners didn't use 2008 5k points, so we'll get those.

So soon we'll be owners... agent was not sure if it would go through, since previous day Hilton did buy back 4 of the properties that she was trying to broker.

We are scheduled to go to Hawaii on the VIP package that we did buy in Las Vegas last year for 1,900 for a one time 7k points, I wonder if, since we will soon become owners if we will have to attend the presentation in Hawaii ?

Thanks for all the info you all provided and I am sure will continue as we learn all about ownership... AFJAY

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!

I have yet to set foot into a timeshare property where they didn't attempt to get me to attend a presentation. Once you own they are called owners updates, but they are just another presentation.

Since your purchase of the 7000 points was contingent on attending another, just plan to go with a big 'ol smile on your face that you are now a new owner who purchased resale and you have no intention on purchasing.

DON'T TELL THEM WHAT YOU SPENT until THEY ASK! Once they do, you have license to then tell them you now know the resale market and would never buy from the developer knowing what prices are. Be respectful & polite...but using that tact will shorten the presentation significantly so long as you are sincere. It's worked for us repeatedly.

Again Congratulations!

eugeneleemd

Reaction score
ROFR for HHV

so i just purchased an odd yr (EOY) 6200 pt HHV lagoon tower platinum 1 bedroom for the ridiculous price of 5100. should i get my hopes up that it'll pass muster??

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Since it is an EOY I would think so. In general you only get an average of 3100 every year, (6200 every other year), so a $1.50 - 2.00 point based on annual usage you are fine, and I would think you should pass FOFR.

The only reason I could see that may take it, is that there is now new sales at the same location at Hilton Hawaiian Village now that the Grand Waikikian has opened. But on the other hand they have plenty of inventory for sale anyway.

Last edited:

rohrbatn

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the approximate ROFR price might be on a 5000 point unit at the Hilton Orlando International Drive resort? It would be helpful to know as I'm considering making an offer on one. Thanks.