Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timeshare Resort Systems > Wyndham Resorts

Wyndham Resorts Discussion of Wyndham Timeshare Systems: Club Wyndham, Wyndham Asia Pacific, Shell Vacations, Equivest, Pahio, Trendwest & Cendent

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old December 26, 2008, 10:30 PM   #1
jwcoleman
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Cliffs Club, Pahio KaEoKai
Ka'Eo Kai Conversion Question

My father in law has a fixed week 51 at Ka'Eo Kai that he has had for years. He resisted conversion to points, but seems to be succumbing to the latest pitch by Wyndham to convert to their point system. He's excited and wants to talk about it tomorrow when we arrive at the Cliffs for a week.

Right now he has the benefit of a fixed week at Christmas that has an ocean view. He bought it years ago, so doesn't have to deal with any ROFR scam. He also hasn't had to part with any additional money. If he deposits his week early enough, I would imagine he has good trading power in the weeks system (aside from the problems everyone has with weeks).

Is there any real reason to convert?

Thanks for your help!
jwcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Sandy VDH

TUG Member

Resorts: Wyndham VIP Platinum, HGVC Elite, Tradewinds(TW), +++
My guess would be not, as KEK is all Prime time, there is no premium for owning Christmas week.

What size unit does he own?

Now if he owned Shearwater that would be another matter. Shearwater weeks are double the average points per week than most weeks in Wyndham. Weeks here range from 400K minimum to 600K depending on the unit size and view.

KEK weeks vary from depending on configuration 2 BR lower, 2 BR upper, 2 BR Deluxe, 2 BR Deluxe Lockoff, 2 BR Presidential, or 2 BR Plus Lockoff. Points range from 240K to 350K. Still not bad.
Sandy VDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2008, 11:35 PM   #3
jwcoleman
TUG Member

He has a two bedroom upper level w/lockoff.
Old December 27, 2008, 07:50 AM   #4
Caius
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 31, 07
I'm expecting the conversion will require a purchase of additional points from the developer, for $10,000+. If he wants Wyndham points, just buy a resale contract and keep the fixed week. As suggested above, I'd expect it's a pretty good trader, plus a good week to have for personal use.
Caius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2008, 10:52 AM   #5
Sandy VDH

TUG Member

Resorts: Wyndham VIP Platinum, HGVC Elite, Tradewinds(TW), +++
No you are suppose to be able to convert for $1995 for the first deed and $995 for each deed after that, up to 2 additional (but I am not sure about the number of additional).

Trick is you have to find a sales person or a contact at corporate who will do it without the extra points purchase. It can be done, I know, because that is exactly what I did. I did not purchase anything extra I just paid for converting three deeded weeks at the same time. So $4000 total, but for me totally worth it.

I owned 4 properties that used to with Vacation Breaks, then Fairfield took over. I was able to convert them to Points without an additional purchase.

But having said that I agree, given the market, you could probably pick up resale points already converted for far less these days.

Last edited by Sandy VDH; December 27, 2008 at 10:55 AM.
Sandy VDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2008, 04:07 PM   #6
teepeeca
TUG Member

Question Which Point System ???

The Pahio resort(s) conversion to a point system can be confusing. Several years ago, the "salesmen" were pushing VERY HARD for weeks owners to convert to the "RCI" point system. Then, when Wyndham took over management, along came the "Wyndham/Fairshare(?)" point system. Two entirely different systems, but "inter-twined" because of the Wyndham/RCI relationship. I think that the Pahio Bali Hai is the only Pahio property currently in developer sales, and I'm not sure if they are even offering new owners the choice of owning a "week" deed, or just the point scheme.

Since there ARE two different point systems, the amount of points being offered can get "confusing" and not completely understood. With the Pahio/RCI points system, if you were to join it (and you had a "high point" week) if you did not make your reservation during your "advantage" months, you wouldn't have enough points to get into a "high point" unit at your resort.

Tony
teepeeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2008, 05:58 PM   #7
rickandcindy23

TUG Member

Resorts: Wyndham,RCI,Shell, WorldMark,OKW, SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Custom House;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP (lots)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teepeeca View Post
The Pahio resort(s) conversion to a point system can be confusing. Several years ago, the "salesmen" were pushing VERY HARD for weeks owners to convert to the "RCI" point system. Then, when Wyndham took over management, along came the "Wyndham/Fairshare(?)" point system. Two entirely different systems, but "inter-twined" because of the Wyndham/RCI relationship. I think that the Pahio Bali Hai is the only Pahio property currently in developer sales, and I'm not sure if they are even offering new owners the choice of owning a "week" deed, or just the point scheme.

Since there ARE two different point systems, the amount of points being offered can get "confusing" and not completely understood. With the Pahio/RCI points system, if you were to join it (and you had a "high point" week) if you did not make your reservation during your "advantage" months, you wouldn't have enough points to get into a "high point" unit at your resort.

Tony
With PAHIO, it's always something new they are selling. First it was weeks, then RCI points, and now it's SLIMY Wyndham. The salespeople talk about the weeks system as if it is archaic, then they talk about RCI points as if it is a failed program, and now Wyndham is the greatest thing since timeshare began. It's disgusting.

NEVER will I EVER go on a Wyndham pitch again, and they could offer me $500 and still get a big fat "NO" from me. It isn't worth the aggravation or the time spent away from vacation.

I would like to actually see some progress on the promised clubhouse and pool at Bali Hai. For crying out loud, it has been years, and it is still a HOLE in the ground. They should be ashamed of themselves............

October: DisWld with grandkids
November:DisWld again
Late November: Disneyland
January: DisWld again
March: Maui
April: Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach
rickandcindy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2008, 06:45 PM   #8
rifleman69
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 23, 05

Resorts: Pahio Bali Hai (EOY)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandcindy23 View Post
With PAHIO, it's always something new they are selling. First it was weeks, then RCI points, and now it's SLIMY Wyndham. The salespeople talk about the weeks system as if it is archaic, then they talk about RCI points as if it is a failed program, and now Wyndham is the greatest thing since timeshare began. It's disgusting.

NEVER will I EVER go on a Wyndham pitch again, and they could offer me $500 and still get a big fat "NO" from me. It isn't worth the aggravation or the time spent away from vacation.

I would like to actually see some progress on the promised clubhouse and pool at Bali Hai. For crying out loud, it has been years, and it is still a HOLE in the ground. They should be ashamed of themselves............
Ditto to what Cindy said. No more presentations from Wyndham EVER for us.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2008, 07:55 PM   #9
jwcoleman
TUG Member

Thanks to everyone. Indeed, he'd fallen for a developer sale at 14k for an EOY Bali Hai unit. We rescinded today (in person, via fax, and via certified mail). They are better about letting you out and signing a receipt if they feel you might start yelling in the middle of the sales floor : )

Happy New Year!