Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timeshare Resort Systems > Hilton / HGVC

Hilton / HGVC Discussions about Hilton resorts and Hilton Grand Vacation Club

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old February 21, 2009, 10:43 PM   #1
flogator

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 21, 09
Question Is this a good deal for the GW @ HHV?

I was offered the following:
7200 platinum/annual 1BR @ GW + 33,000 bonus HGVC points for 2 years + 20,000 HH bonus points (I already banked another 20k bonus points for attending the sales pres)+ $100 Hilton dollors + 3 days VIP Package for $38000. (list price was $43000 they gave me $5000 discount for staying @ HHV).

I am confused after reading this board. I kno retail and GW is more expensive, but i wanted to hear from experienced HGVC members.

Thanks
flogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009, 04:58 AM   #2
jestme

BBS Reg. Date: May 30, 08

Resorts: HGVC - Kalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by flogator View Post
I was offered the following:
7200 platinum/annual 1BR @ GW + 33,000 bonus HGVC points for 2 years + 20,000 HH bonus points (I already banked another 20k bonus points for attending the sales pres)+ $100 Hilton dollors + 3 days VIP Package for $38000. (list price was $43000 they gave me $5000 discount for staying @ HHV).

I am confused after reading this board. I kno retail and GW is more expensive, but i wanted to hear from experienced HGVC members.

Thanks
Not a good deal. If you are still there, have them show you the 1BR, (not a 1BR+ or premier). You want to see the exact kind you would be buying, and certainly not the 2BR premium they show you in the sales presentation. IMHO $38K for a street view of Honolulu is way too much. Then check out resale prices.
jestme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009, 07:03 AM   #3
dougp26364

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: DRI Polo Towers, MVCI Grand Chateau & Ocean Pointe, Grand Lodge on Peak 7, Spinnakers French Quarter, HGVC LV Strip
Holy Cow that's a lot of money for a 1 bedroom unit that looks at the the street and not the ocean. There's not way I'd be paying that much money for that particular view in that size of a unit.

I believe I'd have to recsind that deal and start looking for resale units. Trading into Hawaii isn't always that easy but, if you're not particular about your view, and judging from what you've signed your not, it's not that difficult either. At that price, it'd better to pay half that for some other timeshare in Vegas and trade into either of HHV's older towers. Both of which are very nice and, you might even get a better view for fewer points.

For 6,800 points, this was the view we enjoyed from the Lagoon tower in the morning.

It might not have been as fancy of a unit but, we were VERY comfortable. This was a full one bedroom unit with a full kitchen. I certainly wouldn't want to pay $38,000 for the upgrades to at the Waikikian and especially if I only had a view of the city.

Owning in Hawaii might be important to you as it gives you home resort reservation privledges. You'll have a better chance of reserving your unit if you can book 12 monhts in advance rather than picking from the left overs at 9 months like we have to do. After having stayed at HHV, I almost wish we had purchased our contract there rather than in Vegas. However, when I spoke with the salesman at the 10 minute interview booth in the Rainbow Baazar, the difference in price was, IMO, starggering. I couldn't bring myself to pay that much additional just to switch my home resort from Vegas (a resort we really enjoy when we're there) to Hawaii.

Still, if you're patient you should be able to find a 1 bedroom or even a 2 bedroom unit in Hawaii for much less than $38,000. At least I feel strongly enough about it that I'd be searching that way before knuckling under and pay that much to Hilton to buy that unit retail.

Last edited by dougp26364; February 22, 2009 at 07:14 AM.
dougp26364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009, 10:31 AM   #4
alwysonvac

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 11, 05

Resorts: Four Seasons (1 wk), non-elite Hilton (2 EY + 1 EOY), Disney, WorldMark, Stawood (1 EY + 1 EOY)
Welcome to TUG

See these responses from previous threads

Good Deal or Not - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91083
Pricing for 7,500 points at HGVC Kings Land - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74628
Just purchased at Valdoro Lodge--SANITY CHECK, PLEASE!!! - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89564
Should I buy from Hilton Direct? - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84764
TUG's to the rescue again - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80825
Need Help Urgently - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77366
New Purchase: Good Deal - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76953
alwysonvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009, 01:10 PM   #5
flogator

TUG's to the rescue again

Thanks for all the comments. I had came up thinhking I got a good deal only until I found TUG board. Reading the posts during the last 2 days and loking at the resale prices have changed my perceptions. I faxed my rescind letter to HGVC this morning. I have already won an Ebay auction for 5000 Seaworld points at a fraction of retail (20%). Thank you all for your replies and previous posts that have helped me to get out of a bad deal. Now, I guess I have to worry about ROFR issues.
Old February 22, 2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Talent312

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 4, 07

Resorts: HGVC, Gatlinburg
[QUOTE=flogator;673684]... I faxed my rescind letter to HGVC this morning... =/QUOTE]

Please reread your materials to make sure that faxing sufficient. There sould be
explicit instructions. You may have to send a letter thru the U.S Postal Service.
― Robin Williams (revising his quote from Dead Poet's Society)
Talent312 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2009, 04:59 PM   #7
dougp26364

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: DRI Polo Towers, MVCI Grand Chateau & Ocean Pointe, Grand Lodge on Peak 7, Spinnakers French Quarter, HGVC LV Strip
Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. I had came up thinhking I got a good deal only until I found TUG board. Reading the posts during the last 2 days and loking at the resale prices have changed my perceptions. I faxed my rescind letter to HGVC this morning. I have already won an Ebay auction for 5000 Seaworld points at a fraction of retail (20%). Thank you all for your replies and previous posts that have helped me to get out of a bad deal. Now, I guess I have to worry about ROFR issues.
Faxes get lost or "don't come through." I would recommend sending your letter to them through the postal service with a return receipt that they received it. HGVC is generally an honest operation but, it's always best to keep honest people honest. That's best done by having proof of mailing and their reciept.
Old February 22, 2009, 06:29 PM   #8
flogator

Yes, thanks again. I will send a certified mail on Monday. My document states that hand delivery, mail, or fax. Although I have a fax confirmation sheet as well as phone confirmation from the account manager stating that they received my fax, I will follow up with a USPS mail. I am certain that they received my cancellation note because I got aphone call from SM telling me that they will add 12k more club bonus points (45K total). I am already in contact with Seth, and hoping to get another one from him.
Old February 22, 2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Sunshine Wanted

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Dec 31, 08

Resorts: HGVC & Tradewinds Cruise Club
Good decision

It sounds like you made the right decision Seth is a great guy and thought very highly of on this board. He will be able to find you a good deal.

Doug - what a gorgeous picture from the lanai! Makes me want to be there right now... Instead, we just bought 3 more 50# bags of ice melt.
Old February 22, 2009, 06:55 PM   #10
ricoba

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05
Quote:
Yes, thanks again. I will send a certified mail on Monday. My document states that hand delivery, mail, or fax. Although I have a fax confirmation sheet as well as phone confirmation from the account manager stating that they received my fax, I will follow up with a USPS mail. I am certain that they received my cancellation note because I got aphone call from SM telling me that they will add 12k more club bonus points (45K total). I am already in contact with Seth, and hoping to get another one from him.
I think you made a very good decision and I think you will find that HGVC is a great program.