• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchased Lakeshore Reserve

amanda14

Pool Education Team Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Just returned from MGV today (never saw it so crowded) and did the sales presentation half knowing I was going to by at Lakeshore. Details:

Premier Platinum
2BR Deluxe Villa or Townhome
130,000 Pts every other yr
50,000 self referral points
Maint fees $1,200
With 25% discount $26,400 purchase price
2011 Occupancy date

I know - never buy from the developer but in this case I wanted to make an exception here is why:

No current resale market
I dont think the price will plummet on this one.
I was growing a little tired of MGV and some things that have been annoying me and our last visit confirmed these feelings.
The floor plan and the choice of the townhouse or Villa are great.

Initially, I was going to sell my MGV back for 8,350 (which I thought was a darn good price) but held back and kept it for now.

Yep - its allot of cash, but I love the location and love the idea of reciprocal priveleges (not allowed to use Ritz Pools however) but I like the more secluded it feel that it should have. I could be wrong, but I dont see it as a destination that owners will be trading right away, but if they do, it will be an awesome trader.

Ok - so criticize, let me have it. Tell me this was dumb.

Thanks!

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I say that if you can truly afford this (that's a lot of money right now, especially in this economy) and bought it with your eyes wide open AND you truly have no reservations about it then CONGRATS!

I certainly hope you didn't finance this purchase, because that would mean you can't afford it. I certainly hope you have an 8 month emergency fund in a savings account or you can't afford this.

Other than that, have fun!

Janna

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Amanda,

I am not going to ask if you can afford it or not because I am assuming you would not hav bought it if you couldn't financing or not. At $19,800 that is high but you do have premium platinum and from all of the nice amenities this property is supposed to have it may be worth it for you.

Also as a trader you should be able to get 2 full one bedrooms if I am correct since you have 2 lockoff rooms, right.

The 130,000 points for trade is higher than most places get for a 2 bdrm.

I am surprised that you were not given more points since you will not be able to use it until 2011. I bought Ko Olina pre-construction and was given additional points to take vacation since it wasn't available. That was on top of the other points they were giving. Plus, I did not have to pay any maintenance fees until the year I was able to use it.

If you are happy, I am happy.

amanda14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I do appreciate the concern. No finance, have the money. Eyes were open to the extent that I know that we loved the place. But again, I posted the info really to have people comment on it. So it is appreciated.

Steve

Reaction score
Hi Amanda,

The resale value of Lakeshore Reserve will, indeed, plunge...just like virtually all other timeshares...especially in Orlando. That's one area where it is guaranteed that a newer, better resort will come along shortly and knock the current "must have" place off of its perch. Just look at what has happened to resale values at Grande Vista. A few short years ago, it was the cream of the crop in Orlando. Not now.

However, if you're happy with your purchase, and you could afford it, and you're past the rescission period, then don't worry about it. Enjoy your new timeshare. Hopefully you'll feel it was worth it down the road even when it doesn't have much resale value. Buying a timeshare...particularly from the developer...is a luxury. It's not an investment.

Steve

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I spent a few days at the JW Grande Lakes in Feb and just loved it ... and the whole complex, spa, golf, etc. It's all there -- the Primo restaurant was wonderful. The hotels (JW and Ritz) were full, but imagine living right next door to them while on holidays! You will love it. While there I could see they were building the Lakeshore so it's a 'go' for sure...and right next to the JW. Nice! You will love it as I truly believe it will set a new standard in Marriott timeshares. You got in on the ground floor and the retail prices will go up for sure. I almost bought one when they were first announced, but with 6 Marriotts already I needed another one like a hole in the head. But, I'm envious! :)

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
"I know - never buy from the developer "

Who said? A few outspoken people on this board in no way represent an expert opinion or the norm. They just think they do. :D

Congratulations on your informed purchase! Enjoy! It sounds like a wonderful property I would like to visit one day. Was there any way to get more incentive points?

Last edited:

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are an adult. It is your decision. You are well educated.

Good Luck! I say good for you! You will be happy and reap the rewards. I am happy for you!

Enjoy your new timeshare! :whoopie:

You weighed the benefits, you know how the market works. It's not like anyone had to twist your arm in a 2 hour sales gig.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I think that resort will be at the top for awhile. I look forward to staying there someday. If you go to orlando a lot like I do than you will really enjoy this new purchase.

Do you believe you will be able to use your MGV to trade into it?:D Wouldn't 2 weeks there be nice?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Sometimes we buy things just because we want them- and that's NOT dumb. You were there, you loved the newness, the locations, the unique lay-outs, signed the contract with your eyes open (by that I mean you were aware of the pluses and minuses of timeshares in general and of developer versus resale) and felt the purchase was worth it- and that's all that counts. It doesn't matter if someone else would have done it differently- they won't be enjoying your wonderful vacations either. And, you got to take advantage of a unique sale opportunity that might not be repeated.

Congrats!! Maybe you should consider trading your MGV week next year, because you'll probably otherwise spend the week chomping at the bit to enjoy your Lakeshore villa the following year :) .

amanda14

TUG Member
Reaction score
I should of mentioned

That there are no mainItenance fees until the year we occupy. I appreciate all the feedback. I do plan to trade my MGV next year and do something different until our unit is ready.

Thank you once again.

loreenj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations

Hi. I'm new to this forum. We own at Smugglers' Notch and are considering buying a Marriott for some additional flexibility. I looked at Lakeshore on Marriott's website. It looks incredibly beautiful and I can't imagine that you won't get hours and hours of enjoyment out of your purchase. Enjoy! I'm jealous.

LordCambridge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amanda - Congrats! I'm a big fan of resale, for the economics. I'm a bigger fan of folks being happy with their timeshares. There are many, many happy timeshare owners who bought from Marriott and from your comments, you're going to be one of them. Enjoy.

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
"I'm a big fan of resale, for the economics. I'm a bigger fan of folks being happy with their timeshares."

What a really nice comment!

ldanna

TUG Member
Reaction score
Initially, I was going to sell my MGV back for 8,350 (which I thought was a darn good price) but held back and kept it for now.

Ok - so criticize, let me have it. Tell me this was dumb.

Thanks!

Congratulations. You're not dumb. You had the guts to buy from developer when nobody is doing, and made a good deal (IMO). The price, the points, the whole package. You're buying in a new resort and you will be the first to use it.

If you said you paid this on a MGV unit things would be a lot different. BTW, you really don't have to sell your MGV, it's a good trader.

Enjoy it!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I'm a big fan of resale, for the economics. I'm a bigger fan of folks being happy with their timeshares.
Not to be redundant, but :clap: !!

An informed purchaser, whichever way they purchase, is likely to be a happy owner. Amanda, you clearly thought about this purchase and weighed the pros and cons. Don't worry about what others would have done or whether or not they think you did the right thing. It doesn't matter.

I look forward to hearing about what a great resort it is in 2 years or so.

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Amanda,

Congratulations!! That looks like a beautiful resort. Don't worry about what all the re-sale only crowd say. It's your money and as long as you are happy with it then enjoy it. We bought developer and have been happy with our vacations- I do wish I could have saved the money but didn't know about the resale market then- with the 25% discount the price seems very good.

The price that Marriott was going to give you for your Grande Vista- was that for a 2 bedroom? I assume they aren't sold out and didn't want to sell it for you. It is a good trader and I still like the resort- what do you not like about it?

tlwmkw

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas

Beverley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I certainly hope you didn't finance this purchase, because that would mean you can't afford it. I certainly hope you have an 8 month emergency fund in a savings account or you can't afford this.

Other than that, have fun!

Janna

Listening to Suzzie have you? :) :)

Beverley :cheer: :hi: :cheer:

Beverley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your purchase. We have bought from the developer many many times. We have also bought resale. Both have their benefits.

You may be able to purchase at the cost of a MF 2010 usage points, although at $1200 I am not so sure that is worth it.

Beverley :banana: :banana:

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm bummed to hear the Ritz pools are off limits. That's a disappointment. It's a tremendous property overall.

But, yes, as Steve points out, there's no chance prices won't drop. It's Orlando. Prices drop. It's like a timeshare commandment.

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you pay $26,400 after the discount or was $26400 the original price and you got 25% off that amount?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Listening to Suzzie have you? :) :)

Beverley :cheer: :hi: :cheer:

:hysterical: Don hates it when I start a conversation with, "I am taking THE POWER...." Boy, he curses that woman. :)