• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare crunch - NYTimes article/ TUG and more mentioned

avad88

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
NY Times Article

Yes--I'm quoted in the New York Times article on timesharing.
I got a pm from Ms. Shevory asking if I would talk with her about buying and selling timeshares back in March. My sister writes for a newspaper in VA and I've always had a soft spot for reporters.
My only problem is did she have to put my AGE????? :eek:
Ava

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Very nice

Very informative and factual article. Rare for the mainstream media. Is that OUR Rick & Cindy?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
It is us! Billymach let me know that the article was in today's issue, so I looked it up online.

The only thing I saw that was blatantly wrong, our resort is from the early 80's, not the 60's. And what do you think of our river view? The time of year we were there for the pic was mid-May, and it is just beautiful and warm. The photographer from the Times was amazed at the views from the units.

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello - anyone home??

From the article:

"Timeshare companies now demand that buyers have higher down payments and good credit scores to qualify for a loan. At Marriott International, 80 percent of buyers used to receive financing, but now only half do, said Ed Kinney, vice president for corporate affairs at Marriott Vacation Club International in Orlando. Wyndham, which once required a 10 to 15 percent down payment, has since increased it to 15 to 20 percent, Mr. Holmes said."

Wow!

Now is the time to tighten up the credit requirements? Who came up with that bright idea?

Real estate across the USA is down 25% - resort areas are hit much much more.

How about just reducing the selling price Marriott?

Did anyone ever think of that?

Hello??

ijohns

Reaction score
I am the India Johns quoted in the article. We still own unfortunately own our timeshare, do not use it, cannot afford it and have not worked out anything with OLCC.

Bill4728

Reaction score
NYTimes said:
“This is the best time to buy and the absolutely worst time to sell,” said Brian Rogers

This is so true. The deals for someone buying a TS are so good. And that means that anyone trying to sell is taking a huge hit.

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does TARP cover timeshares?

Hello?? Guess you missed Marriott's 25% off sale.

Steve

Sales are one time events - how about permanently reducing the prices of ALL Marriott units a flat 25% to 50%?

Why are timeshares not subject to the forces of the free market like the rest of real estate?

(Are timeshares getting TARP money? If so, raise the prices!)

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is us! Billymach let me know that the article was in today's issue, so I looked it up online.

The only thing I saw that was blatantly wrong, our resort is from the early 80's, not the 60's. And what do you think of our river view? The time of year we were there for the pic was mid-May, and it is just beautiful and warm. The photographer from the Times was amazed at the views from the units.

Is this the reason you were looking for a copy of the NY Times? Were you able to find a paper copy?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Yes, this is the reason, and I haven't even looked for the paper yet today. I have so much going on right now, including with the RCI loss of trading poewr issues.

I definitely have to get a paper for Rick's stepmom. She doesn't have internet, of course because she is 82, but she wants to show it off at the Elk's Lodge, and to all of her friends.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, this is kind of cool, thanks for sharing the link.:)

It's fun to see TUGGERS hit the big time in the NYT's! :cheer:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yep, some good articles coming out recently in major media outlets...gotta get the word out somehow!

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good article. Good pictures too!! ;) ;)

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is the reason, and I haven't even looked for the paper yet today. I have so much going on right now, including with the RCI loss of trading poewr issues.

I definitely have to get a paper for Rick's stepmom. She doesn't have internet, of course because she is 82, but she wants to show it off at the Elk's Lodge, and to all of her friends.

Can't you print the article in color and give it to her? Does she need the entire printed newspaper?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can't you print the article in color and give it to her? Does she need the entire printed newspaper?

I think she would rather have the paper. It's early here, and I am working at home today and cannot leave my office to find one. I am going to make some calls to the various bookstores, which are all a distance away.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also purchase the tin plate used for the printing press (I haven't worked for a newspaper for a LONG time, but I assume the plates are still used in production!).. Makes for a unique gift- and isn't as fragile as a paper copy.

The cost was never much, since they don't have any other use and are simply detroyed after a short time.

DaveHenry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy and Rick,
I saw your picture in the timeshare article in today's New York Times, along with the description of how your resort is giving away weeks!
I've read so many of your posts (and been helped by them) that I feel that I know you! Glad so see you in the NY Times!
Regards,
Dave

If you need a hard copy, pm me with your address and I'll send it to you.

taffy19

Reaction score

Your river view is lovely, Cindy. It would be nice spending a vacation there in the summer or when there is snow. :)

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow - I'm putting Twin Rivers on my exchange wish list!

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Nice article!
Cindy, I always assume that the couple in your avatar is you and Rick. Doesn't look quite the same as the one in the article... May I ask who is that couple in your avatar? I'm a little confused here :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nice article!
Cindy, I always assume that the couple in your avatar is you and Rick. Doesn't look quite the same as the one in the article... May I ask who is that couple in your avatar? I'm a little confused here :)

That picture in the avatar is from our Hawaii trip on Maui four years ago, very shortly after I recovered from a serious health issue and was able to travel after a period of time of a few years when I just couldn't. I no longer dye my hair, and it was longer then, too. I think I should dye my hair again; I had no idea I was so gray! :rofl: Seriously, I look so old.