• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are any of the wyndhams worth it?

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
yes, 20 mins is fine, but i dont want to spend 2 weeks in the car all the time, ya know?

once we get there, i just want to enjoy the scenery, beaches, food, etc. dont want to spend all day in the car.

we are going to fly direct from NYC, so its not horrible for time flying (i guess)!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
yes, 20 mins is fine, but i dont want to spend 2 weeks in the car all the time, ya know?

once we get there, i just want to enjoy the scenery, beaches, food, etc. dont want to spend all day in the car.

we are going to fly direct from NYC, so its not horrible for time flying (i guess)!

Then skip the Big Island, unless you plan to spend your time around the resort and resort area. It's going to take you time to drive anywhere on the island.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
If you can get into Worldmark at Kihei (not sure if that's available via RCI) that has a terrific beach right across the street, and a good pool for swimming (and a toddler pool also).

Good luck!

hibbeln

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to the BI last time when the kids were 5 & 8......and felt like we did a lot of driving! Now we're finally ready to go back when they're 13 & 15!

When our kids were little, I have to say that we liked Kauai the best. Lots of variety to beaches. Lots of calm beaches (in the summer), lots of great hiking for families, lots of exploring. And the drives are all manageable. Even if you're going from one side of the island to the other, your drive is maybe an hour.....just right for a nap.

hibbeln

TUG Member
Reaction score
And how did you find a non-stop from NYC?
How old are your kids?
Have you flown to Hawaii before?

When our kids were really little (youngest under 3, I have to say that we completely enjoyed just simply going to Florida and other closer, family-friendly beaches!
We took ours to Hawaii the first time when the youngest was 3. Even from Detroit that was a loooooooooong flight. The kids did fine, it was just wearing on MOM and DAD! We've gone every 2 years since, and each time it gets SOOOOO much easier!

hibbeln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh! I just booked the 2 bedroom at the Wyndham Royal Sea Cliffs. The dates jived exactly with what we needed, it's on the ocean, has a washer and dryer in the unit, sounds like all we need! The Royal Hawaiian or whatever looked very cool, but this will suffice just fine.:cheer:

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Oh! I just booked the 2 bedroom at the Wyndham Royal Sea Cliffs. The dates jived exactly with what we needed, it's on the ocean, has a washer and dryer in the unit, sounds like all we need! The Royal Hawaiian or whatever looked very cool, but this will suffice just fine.:cheer:

We stayed there spring of '09. The units are very spacious and it is on the water. We had a somewhat obstructed view from our lanai. It was very comfortable.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like the others have pointed out, the BI, may not be your best choice considering what you are looking for.

Don't get me wrong, we like the BI, but it is BIG and requires quite a bit of driving and to the best of my knowledge there are no ocean front resorts on the BI (are there? to you TUG BI experts?)

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Like the others have pointed out, the BI, may not be your best choice considering what you are looking for.

Don't get me wrong, we like the BI, but it is BIG and requires quite a bit of driving and to the best of my knowledge there are no ocean front resorts on the BI (are there? to you TUG BI experts?)

There may be a couple of resorts that are ocean front, but none (that I can think of) with a usable beach. I really think the OP would be happier with a small child on another island.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I forgot Royal Sea Cliff is ocean front, but it's not on a beach per se, rather it is on the rocks at the shore.

I guess I should have said no sandy beach front or on the beach resorts like Oahu, Maui or Kauai.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We chose this for an exchange a few years ago, when we had a choice between this and KHV, and really loved it. We (non-Wyndham owners) requested in advance, and again when we arrived, for the best ocean-view possible, and were given a completely refurbished lovely unit with a great view. Hope you will luck out too, it can't hurt to ask.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
... once we get there, i just want to enjoy the scenery, beaches, food, etc. dont want to spend all day in the car. ...
Aloha,
I posted this before.
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1001017&postcount=24
It might be worth a second look. The photo was taken at low tide in front of the adjacent hotel. The same spot is mostly under water at high tide. A toddler might have a ball there (at low tide). Hundreds & hundreds of baby reef fish & other sea life.
Jack

Attachments

• 130reduced.jpg
    130reduced.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 27

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
im def going to add kauai beach villas, looks nice there.

there are nonstops from newark that im looking at now going into honolulu.

others are 1 stoppers.

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only direct there and back is Continental from Newark - close enough to NYC, but I believe only to Honolulu. The Wyndam Waikiki has had good reviews and I believe it is across the street from the beach. I would recommend trading into HHV if you can only because we really like our experience there. Anyway, Oahu, especially Honolulu Waikiki Beach is not as laid back as other islands, but it depends what you want. Honolulu may be laid back enough that you do not feel isolated in the middle of a boring nowhere, and with it enough so you have something to do in a convenient nice place, especially after a long trip :) .

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't take Shearwater. It's way too cold and rainy up there in Princeville. :rofl:

For a minute I was wondering who had hacked Cindy's account! :hysterical:

Anyway, if OP is still looking, Kauai Beach Villas are Wyndham, and have good walking beaches.

Marty

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lawai Beach Resort on Kauai has generally good weather and has a lovely small beach for kids right across the street. It comes up regularly with RCI, II and HTSE.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to Waikiki

Easy for the LO. lots to do.many restaurants and endless activities. You can get many places right on the beach but you will pay dearly for them. Not worth it for the couple minutes you face the ocean when you have all day to see it. We prefer mt views with trade winds as the night view is better, the rooms less, and you get the tradewinds.

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
i see alot of kona village now, reviews look good. but worried it wont be a fit for a toddler ... as its a drive away from everything (or so i believe?)
We stayed at Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Village with our three year old twins and loved it. We visited lots of different beaches-some within a 20 minute drive and others a bit longer. If you're looking for quick beach access within the Wyndham family, try Wyndham Waikiki.

weh8625

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kids in Hawaii

We just took our 3 LO's 5 and under last year.

I would recommend Lawai Beach or Poipu Beach on Kauai.

And on the plane, try to get a bulkhead, we alternated nap time on the floor.