• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are resort fees on their way for HRC resorts?

sunski

Reaction score
I have an II reservation at HVC Escondido and was told that there is now a daily resort fee. I've stayed there in the past (although a few years ago) and there were no resort fees, so I'm thinking this was part of the rebranding?

If HRC are now being rebranded as HVC, do you think that external exchanges will now require payment of resort fees at "former" HRC resorts to keep parity within the new system?

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
As a week owner, who purchased the week, and has paid the maintenance fees, why does the name of the occupant make any difference? It does not, same wear and tear, same costs incurred to the resort. Resort fees...better named resort gouging! Allowing the gouging of exchanges, guest certificate, trades like hotels do will spreads like a cancer and leads to more fees.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
A big question I always have is, do the resort fees go back to the HOA or into the resort management pocket. I agree with prior poster, all fees are already supposed to be covering the resort operation. If the resort fees are going back to the HOA, then exchangers are simply subsidizing owner maintenance fees. Owners should be ashamed. If it is going into the resort managements pocket, well, they should be ashamed.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this has more to do with it being an II reservation vs an inside the system exchange? Also, it’s always going to the resort management company or they would not bother with it.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt.com usually charges resort fees for HRC units booked thru them (unless WOH points are used).

You are seeing more resort fees thru interval. Thankfully the resorts i book thru II do not (yet). i doubt the resort makes as much money thru an interval reservation but it is part of timeshare inventory.

Its all part of the game. I will be upset if they ever try to add resort fees thru HRC reservations, as that is what I actually bought into. But they do get a reservation fee from me already.

I am also seeing lawsuits about hidden resort fees against Marriott and others. It should be plainly listed.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Hyatt.com usually charges resort fees for HRC units booked thru them (unless WOH points are used).

You are seeing more resort fees thru interval. Thankfully the resorts i book thru II do not (yet). i doubt the resort makes as much money thru an interval reservation but it is part of timeshare inventory.

Its all part of the game. I will be upset if they ever try to add resort fees thru HRC reservations, as that is what I actually bought into. But they do get a reservation fee from me already.

I am also seeing lawsuits about hidden resort fees against Marriott and others. It should be plainly listed.
How can Hyatt.com impose resort fees when there are no resort fees at a (Marriott) HRC resort?

sunski

Reaction score
I think in this case it does have to do with it being an II exchange, but I own resorts with other management companies and the ones that charge resort fees seem to charge these fees anytime it's NOT an "ownership" reservation.

I don't really know how HVC internal reservations work, so I don't know who gets charged when making reservations within that system.

And the only way to exchange between HVC and HRC is via II, correct? So are they one company with uniform policies?

HRC, you have HRPP and CUP and I can easily see the way things have gone with several other systems, that CUP reservations will soon be charged resort fees. What's to prevent this from occurring?

AFAIU, the fees go directly to the management company and for what value-added, IDK? Nothing but greed and "we make the rules, so too bad if you don't like it". To me it just further deteriorates the value of TS and exchanging, which is one of the selling points of TS, so people don't feel bound into always vacationing at their home resort.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
I think in this case it does have to do with it being an II exchange, but I own resorts with other management companies and the ones that charge resort fees seem to charge these fees anytime it's NOT an "ownership" reservation.

I don't really know how HVC internal reservations work, so I don't know who gets charged when making reservations within that system.

And the only way to exchange between HVC and HRC is via II, correct? So are they one company with uniform policies?

HRC, you have HRPP and CUP and I can easily see the way things have gone with several other systems, that CUP reservations will soon be charged resort fees. What's to prevent this from occurring?

AFAIU, the fees go directly to the management company and for what value-added, IDK? Nothing but greed and "we make the rules, so too bad if you don't like it". To me it just further deteriorates the value of TS and exchanging, which is one of the selling points of TS, so people don't feel bound into always vacationing at their home resort.
FWIW, about 80% of ownership of HVC (nee Welk) are points ownership. Thus all reservations are nominally the same. the only fee charged to owners, that I know of, is the mandatory tax charged in Cabo.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
How can Hyatt.com impose resort fees when there are no resort fees at a (Marriott) HRC resort?

All i know is if you try to book a Hyatt resort (i.e. Coconut Plantation) using cash thru Hyatt.com you will see taxes and resort fees added.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
All i know is if you try to book a Hyatt resort (i.e. Coconut Plantation) using cash thru Hyatt.com you will see taxes and resort fees added.
Hyatt.com is Hyatt Hotels, different company entirely. It may as well be a third party booking company like Travelocity just adding an extra fee on.

Scavanjer

Reaction score
Unless you book a Hyatt hotel using free night awards in which case resort fees are waived if you sign up for their loyalty program. Also, if you are a Hyatt top tier Globalist status then cash rate bookings at Hyatt hotels are free of resort fees as well.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt.com is Hyatt Hotels, different company entirely. It may as well be a third party booking company like Travelocity just adding an extra fee on.

I agree to a point. Hyatt.com must own inventory (another topic) to be able to advertise/book (or to use a 3rd party booking site).

Thats why i stated i hope i never see resort fees when booking thru HRC...

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
I agree to a point. Hyatt.com must own inventory (another topic) to be able to advertise/book (or to use a 3rd party booking site).

Thats why i stated i hope i never see resort fees when booking thru HRC...
Typically the inventory that WOH offers is due to conversion from timeshare points to WOH points.

Guitarmom

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I was charged a resort fee when I rented some extra nights at Welk in Escondido. This was long before the buyout by Marriott/Hyatt.

boraxo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra, Villa Resorts (Mexico)
I am looking at a redweek listing for a week at HHS and it states there is a $25/day "resort fee". I own at HHS and have never paid a resort fee. What gives?

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a redweek listing for a week at HHS and it states there is a $25/day "resort fee". I own at HHS and have never paid a resort fee. What gives?
I believe that is for renters. We own several weeks there (just got back yesterday) and it was not charged.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I believe that is for renters. We own several weeks there (just got back yesterday) and it was not charged.
Renters and exchangers...