• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bankrupt / Closed Timeshare resorts

massachu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Peppertree Atlantic Beach I

Peppertree Atlantic Beach I has declared bankruptcy and is in the process of being leveled. Peppertree Atlantic Beach II is currently condemned and repairs are suppose to be completed by May. But, considering so many have lost their usage while still expecting to pay up to $700 in maintenance fees last year and this year, I have my doubts of it's ability to recover if enough quit paying. Details are discussed in the US East Coast Section.
Do we know if Festiva was instrumental in managing this resort? I believe that some bankruptcies of associations are the product of the management companies.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do we know if Festiva was instrumental in managing this resort? I believe that some bankruptcies of associations are the product of the management companies.
I will make a bet a major hotel will purchase this land in the next six (6) months?
Peppertree Atlantic Beach land is more valuable than a timeshare resort to a new developer.. IMHO

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
A timeshare at Florida's Neptune Hollywood Beach Club was bought directly from the owners. Owners of the Hollywood Sands claimed receiving $6,500 each week as their pay. I was told by a source—not an owner—that they received $5,000–$6,000. Maybe a studio received $5,000.
Good for these owners. That were not scam by some bad guys.

spthomas

Reaction score
When Los Lagos closed and sold (we didn't go into bankruptcy), the "owners association" voted to stop being a time share resort. But of course, in the "owners association" every week for each unit has 1 vote. And the resort operator is a Festiva subsidiary and with repos and any unsold units, Festiva is by far the largest owner. So they call the shots. I can't complain, I got 1/2 of my money back after 35 years!

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Festiva is still managing this resort. Phase One is gone. Phase Two has been repaired and is operating. Maintenance fees for 2br are about $950. They indicated that they planned to try to shift owners of Phase One into available units in Phase Two to help levelize the increase of fees. I do not have a very high regard to Festiva as a management company.

spthomas

Reaction score
Festiva is still managing this resort. Phase One is gone. Phase Two has been repaired and is operating. Maintenance fees for 2br are about $950. They indicated that they planned to try to shift owners of Phase One into available units in Phase Two to help levelize the increase of fees. I do not have a very high regard to Festiva as a management company.
I haven't heard a word from them about anything since we sold, though I know Phase II is still open. I loved our Phase I units, they were so big and comfortable. And it's funny, during the 37 years we owned there, we were constantly
Hit in by other timeshaimpanies to buy more timeshares. Now that we no longer own a timeshare, as happy timeshare owners for 37 years I'd have thought we'd be prime targets. But haven't gotten a single hit.

kestratford

Reaction score
Lots of speculation of delinquent fees and such causing resorts to declare bankrupcy and close down, but its rarely ever in the news when this actually happens unless its a major resort.

As we have been doing some emails to members about resorts that have not been updated in many years, its come to no surprise that a number of replies have been from owners informing us that the resort has closed or shut down due to a myriad of issues.

I wanted to start listing these resorts somewhere as owners provide the information on the closings...so here we go:

[UPDATED LISTING AS Of 2-23]

NOTE: Information as Reported by Various Sources

Sorted: by Location [State within the United States or if INTL by Country]

River Grove Chalets Felton CA
Palm Springs villas Palm springs CA
Warner Springs Ranch, Warner Springs CA
Club Vacances Magog Quebec, Canada
Sutherland Crossing, Crystal Beach, FL
Neptune Hollywood Beach Club, Hollywood, FL
Spanish River Resort, Delray Beach, FL
Ocean Palms - New Smyrna Beach, FL
Jolly Harbour Marina and Golf Resort, Antigua
Prospect Reef Resort, Tortola, British Virgin Islands
Lodge at Horseshoe Resort, Onatrio, Canada
Indies Suites Cayman Islands
Divi Tiara Beach Resort, Cayaman Islands (hurricane)
Royal Caraibes, Guadeloupe
Xpu-Ha Palace, Quintana Roo, Mexico
Encanto Timeshares, Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
Vacation Club at Bahamia at Royal Oasis Crown Plaza, Bahamas
North Harbor III, Slidell, Louisiana (hurricane destroyed)
Harbor Hill at Provincetown in MA *****
Club at Cape Cod, Cape Cod, MA
Legend Resort, Vernon, NJ
560 Ocean Club, Atlantic City, NJ
Deer Run Village, Samford, NY
Nottingham Village (with Friar Tuck Inn) , Catskill, NY
Deschutes River Ranch, Bend, Oregon
Club La Costa Hustyns - UK
apple valley - ohio
Peppertree Atlantic Beach Phase I. - Atlantic Beach, NC
La Renaissance, Atlantic City, NJ
Waves Ocean City, MD
Balboa Towers and Balboa Club
Grand Regency at Thousand Hills - Branson (Reopened as Great Rock @ Branson Club)
Collanade (Reopened as Oak Ridge @ Branson)
Gurneys Inn (closing 2018)
Fishermen’s Village in Punta Gourda, FL. Closed
Pacific Shores Resort on Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Innsbrook Village in Ruidoso,New Mexico
Marco Resort & Club in Marco Island, FL
Carriage Hills, Ontario (Wyndham)
Carriage Ridge, Ontario (Wyndham)
Los Lagos at Hot Springs Village, Phase 1 (festiva)
Manteo Beach Resort in Kelowna
Lago Vista Resort
Towers at Mullet Bay
Cedar Lodge at Brickyard Mt, Laconia NH
Rayburn Country club
Lodge at Horseshoe Resort

Sorted Alphabetically

Apple Valley - Ohio
Club at Cape Cod Cape Cod, MA
Club Vacances Magog, Quebec, Canada
Deer Run Village , Samford, NY
Divi Tiara Beach Resort, Cayaman Islands
Grand Regency at Thousand Hills, Branson (Reopened as Great Rock @ Branson Club)
Hustyns - club la costa - UK
Indies Suites, Cayman Islands
Lago Vista Resort - kissimmee
Lodge at Horseshoe Resort, Ontario, Canada
Los Lagos at Hot Springs Village, Phase 1
Neptune Hollywood Beach Club, Hollywood Beach, FL
Nottingham Village (with Friar Tuck Inn), Catskill, NY
Palm Springs Villas, Palm Springs, CA
Peppertree Atlantic Beach Phase I. Atlantic Beach, NC
Rayburn Country club
River Grove Chalets, Felton, CA
Towers at Mullet Bay - st maarten
Warner Springs Ranch, Warner Springs, CA
Waves, Ocean City, MD
Xpu-Ha Palace, Quinta Roo, Mexico

ill keep this updated as more come in, please feel free to post up known / recent closures and ill add them to the list.
Hi my timeshare resort has been changed the last few years with some of the units being converted to condos and sold. this is partial timeshare/condo organization managed by one person in charge with a Board of Directors. The land court of MA is currently holding up the sale of some more condos. SO the manager just notified timeshare owners their maintenance fee will be increased by $500.; this will probably cause more owners to stop paying so more foreclosures will happen-probably. Condos are being sold when the Land Court allows the sales to happen are for over $300,000. It seems that Management can just keep raising our maintenance fees until everyone just stops paying and all will be foreclosed on. Can resorts just raise condo fees as much as they want? DO owners have any recourse? Has anyone heard of a situation like this - or one where a private investor comes in and sells the condos for hundreds of thousands of dollars?,

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
what is the explanation for the 500 increase in maintenance fees?

resorts are required to publish the annual budget proposal and or provide it to all the owners.

seastraight

TUG Member
Reaction score
Adding another one - Crotched Mountain Resort in NH just closed. This quote is from the Wyndham website: On June 29, 2023, more than 75% of Crotched Mountain Resort owners in New Hampshire voted to terminate the existing timeshare trust to prepare the property for sale. As a result, Crotched Mountain Resort will close Aug. 1, 2023, and will no longer be included in the Club Wyndham resort portfolio.

lynnb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Destinations in Mesquite Nevada
Lots of speculation of delinquent fees and such causing resorts to declare bankrupcy and close down, but its rarely ever in the news when this actually happens unless its a major resort.

As we have been doing some emails to members about resorts that have not been updated in many years, its come to no surprise that a number of replies have been from owners informing us that the resort has closed or shut down due to a myriad of issues.

I wanted to start listing these resorts somewhere as owners provide the information on the closings...so here we go:

[UPDATED LISTING AS Of 2-23]

NOTE: Information as Reported by Various Sources

Sorted: by Location [State within the United States or if INTL by Country]

River Grove Chalets Felton CA
Palm Springs villas Palm springs CA
Warner Springs Ranch, Warner Springs CA
Club Vacances Magog Quebec, Canada
Neptune Hollywood Beach Club, Hollywood, FL
Lodge at Horseshoe Resort, Onatrio, Canada
Indies Suites Cayman Islands
Divi Tiara Beach Resort, Cayaman Islands (hurricane)
Xpu-Ha Palace, Quintana Roo, Mexico
Club at Cape Cod, Cape Cod, MA
Crotched Mountain Resort in NH
Deer Run Village, Samford, NY
Nottingham Village (with Friar Tuck Inn) , Catskill, NY
Club La Costa Hustyns - UK
apple valley - ohio
Peppertree Atlantic Beach Phase I. - Atlantic Beach, NC
Waves Ocean City, MD
Grand Regency at Thousand Hills - Branson (Reopened as Great Rock @ Branson Club)
Los Lagos at Hot Springs Village, Phase 1 (festiva)
Lago Vista Resort
Towers at Mullet Bay
Rayburn Country club
Lodge at Horseshoe Resort

Sorted Alphabetically

Apple Valley - Ohio
Club at Cape Cod Cape Cod, MA
Club Vacances Magog, Quebec, Canada
Crotched Mountain Resort in NH
Deer Run Village , Samford, NY
Divi Tiara Beach Resort, Cayaman Islands
Grand Regency at Thousand Hills, Branson (Reopened as Great Rock @ Branson Club)
Hustyns - club la costa - UK
Indies Suites, Cayman Islands
Lago Vista Resort - kissimmee
Lodge at Horseshoe Resort, Ontario, Canada
Los Lagos at Hot Springs Village, Phase 1
Neptune Hollywood Beach Club, Hollywood Beach, FL
Nottingham Village (with Friar Tuck Inn), Catskill, NY
Palm Springs Villas, Palm Springs, CA
Peppertree Atlantic Beach Phase I. Atlantic Beach, NC
Rayburn Country club
River Grove Chalets, Felton, CA
Towers at Mullet Bay - st maarten
Warner Springs Ranch, Warner Springs, CA
Waves, Ocean City, MD
Xpu-Ha Palace, Quinta Roo, Mexico

ill keep this updated as more come in, please feel free to post up known / recent closures and ill add them to the list.
Grand Destinations. Closing wants Deed back, fully paid, not delinquent on fees Owned by major Gamong company. Not compensating owners, and receiving rude, nasty emails from Julie Prior. Horrible experience. Lied to, ripped off, what can we do?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Grand Destinations. Closing wants Deed back, fully paid, not delinquent on fees Owned by major Gamong company. Not compensating owners, and receiving rude, nasty emails from Julie Prior. Horrible experience. Lied to, ripped off, what can we do?
You are under no obligation to deed your ownership to anyone. I suspect there are perhaps some unscrupulous things happening where someone wants to scoop up a bunch of deeds and then get any residual payouts to themselves. When the property is sold, any owners of record should get paid a split of what the sale was for minus any final expenses. Though sometimes this could be negative, but not very often.

massachu

TUG Member
Reaction score
what is the explanation for the 500 increase in maintenance fees?

resorts are required to publish the annual budget proposal and or provide it to all the owners.
I have first hand experience with one MA timeshare resort, Southcape Resort in Mashpee, MA. The developer is Festiva of Asheville, NC. For reference see posts of the late SOU13. There are two condominiums, 1 and 2. SOU13 was in 1. This year, 2023, the resort began to dissolve 1. Honestly, the resort appears insolvent. Owners have no say. (Trustees merely say they will do anything that an owner requests provided that the owner cites laws and facts.) The resort does not report any financial annual accounting of condominiums. Massachusetts condominium and timeshare laws are ignored by trustees, managing entity, and non-profit directors required by bylaws and MA laws. The laws recite that the remedy of failure to follow laws is litigation. Individual owners of intervals from 1982 and 1987, or many, are original heirs, are seniors and really any individual finds it cost prohibitive, however, to litigate in superior court for governance per recorded bylaws; all trustees are loyal employees of the management company and own no intervals. Trustles also populate all board positions counter to annual elections of owners per bylaws. This year, trustees have closed condo 1, rent none of it at an opportunity cost of $60,000 a week, but charge its owners no dues. However, property taxes and maintenance continue for the association but only owners in condo 2 (with 1348 intervals) are billed for dues; trustees give waivers of dues to 490 developer owned weeks that developer has never sold, just rents. Operating expenses exceed dues and incidental income. Management has appropriated capital reserve funds and the resort shows a deficit reserve of $500,000. Apparently trustees reassured concerned condo 2 owners that their management company was loaning money to the association to cover operations. (Incidentally, trustees allowed the association to informally seize the interval of the late SOU13 without registering a change of title and without equitable compensation to her estate. Trustees also used interstate wire communication in 2021 to defraud senior owners with claims that their intervals were worthless, to be vacated in 2023, but would require sustained dues in 2023 and 2024, encouraging over 100 interval owners to pay the developer to take their deeds.) Owners having an accounting background say that the non-profit association is not a going concern.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
received an email today announcing another:

crown resort at the Poconos (previously quail hollow) has closed and is preparing to sell the property.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Another one to add to the list: Stonegate Mansion in Great Barrington MA. It is still listed in RCI 1266, but is in the process of being foreclosed by the city:
https://www.berkshireeagle.com/news...cle_56156dd2-3864-11ed-a153-7b36c34ad337.html
October 1, 2022: The whole mess explained.
This showed up on my Google News feed:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
This showed up on my Google News feed:

What a colossal mess - and there were only 8 units. Just think of resorts with many more units. Then there is the issue where the developer sold 50% more intervals than existed? Quote from the article: "In this case, the developer, Robert Hatch, had sold nearly 50 percent more timeshare intervals than it could accommodate given the eight units in the renovated Victorian manse". I can't wrap my head around what he did with the deeds - perhaps he reused deeds. I would have thought that the county would have caught this, but I guess not. This is really a shame but it reiterates the fact that even though timeshare owners own just a sliver of a property, they still own real estate and all of the same processes with respect to purchase/sale/disposal will proceed just as if they owned the entire property. There aren't any shortcuts just because it is a timeshare.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The article doesn't give a lot of details, but based on the overselling, it doesn't seem that these are deeded ownership of an indivudual share but perhaps more of a right to use type of arrangement.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
The article doesn't give a lot of details, but based on the overselling, it doesn't seem that these are deeded ownership of an indivudual share but perhaps more of a right to use type of arrangement.
… but the city has to find all the TS owners to deal with the issue

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you hold a deed to something that never actually existed do you have to pay taxes on it?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

… but the city has to find all the TS owners to deal with the issue
A quick look at the property records shows that it's recorded as a trust.

spthomas

Reaction score
You are under no obligation to deed your ownership to anyone. I suspect there are perhaps some unscrupulous things happening where someone wants to scoop up a bunch of deeds and then get any residual payouts to themselves. When the property is sold, any owners of record should get paid a split of what the sale was for minus any final expenses. Though sometimes this could be negative, but not very often.
I can verify it is supposed to work like that. My resort, Los Lagos at Hot Springs Village, AR Phase 1, "voted" to stop being a timeshare (since the developer owns all the unsold units and points it's pretty much their call, but still..). Anyway a few months later they sold it, and a couple of months after that I got a check for about 1/2 of what I paid 37 years earlier. Not too bad I think.

CKMason

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score