• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Booking question - Lagoon Tower

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
despite the cost of renting and parking a car at HHV, it is very useful to get the most out of Oahu. You can take the bus and actually it helps with parking hassles, and you can uber. But we rent a car. Getting away to aome of the lesser known beaches makes a big difference.

It's not that bad for parking with the Hale Koa garage, all things considered.

A car is mandatory in Waikoloa (Big Island) as well, but parking is free (except for Ocean Tower),

Cheers.

Mowogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas; HGVC on Paradise; Bay Club at Waikoloa; Vacation Village Williamsburg; Sheraton Flex
The big island is quieter, but you are also going to have to drive everywhere as the resorts are in a giant resort zone 30 minutes from Kona. Yes Oahu has crowds, but the Hilton Hawaiian Village handles them relatively well as long as you avoid the check-in desk area for the hotel. On Oahu it is very easy to go a couple of days without driving, especially if you are comfortable using the bus to get around Waikiki. I normally don't rent a car because of the hassle on top of all the costs, but a one or two day rental to hit the further out sites is definitely useful. There is charm to Oahu, and even when visiting other islands I will go for a few days because there are so many more options from HNL in the case of travel disruptions. Plus gives me a chance to visit Don Quijote.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Edit to add: Looking at this screenshot below, it looks like folks are already walking reservations (the gap after the check-in date). So I'd have to go back a few days to secure that room - but then the question comes: if I end up going back a few days to secure the ideal room, would I be able to walk that forward as it looks like folks already have reservations right up against that booking window. As I said, we are fairly flexible on dates so if it ended up being a little skewed in the week (Thursday to Thursday for example) then that would be okay with us.
screen-shot-2024-03-05-at-8-25-09-am-png.89487

I don't think anyone addressed your question.
Once you hit a gap you won't be able to continue your walk.

Based on your screen capture, it looks like several folks are walking and releasing as they go. Mostly likely these folks are walking early in hopes of booking a stay during the Christmas holiday season.

AndyT3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Flamingo & Elara
Thanks for the clarification!

We've had the conversation and I think we're all on the same page about spending the majority of our time on the Big Island. Hopefully this will open up our choices and availability.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification!

We've had the conversation and I think we're all on the same page about spending the majority of our time on the Big Island. Hopefully this will open up our choices and availability.
IT will. And it will bring up other questions of where to stay as the resorts have differences.

Cheers.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
The big island is quieter, but you are also going to have to drive everywhere as the resorts are in a giant resort zone 30 minutes from Kona. Yes Oahu has crowds, but the Hilton Hawaiian Village handles them relatively well as long as you avoid the check-in desk area for the hotel. On Oahu it is very easy to go a couple of days without driving, especially if you are comfortable using the bus to get around Waikiki. I normally don't rent a car because of the hassle on top of all the costs, but a one or two day rental to hit the further out sites is definitely useful. There is charm to Oahu, and even when visiting other islands I will go for a few days because there are so many more options from HNL in the case of travel disruptions. Plus gives me a chance to visit Don Quijote.

The OF view from Lagoon can't be beat.

I disagree about handling the crowds though, try to get a lounge chair at either the Lagoon pool or the Hotel pool during busy hours. Try to get on the elevators on Saturday check in or out time at Lagoon.

Last visit to Oahu we stayed at Hokulani and really enjoyed it. Parking is cheaper if you have a car, or Hertz is a few blocks down the street and the after hours drop off is right across the street from Hokulani.

We found Don Quixote also, fun store to visit!

pfpower

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paradise
I'm walking a Lagoon reservation right now, I started it two weeks before my desired check in. I can see several people doing the same thing.

I like to start it with a Thur-Fri-Sat 3 day club reservation at Lagoon since the home weeks are Saturday check in. If I can get that first Saturday the rest of the week will fall in line.
Hi, when you walk the reservation, can you edit the check in date to push it forward? is there a fee to do this? thanks!

pfpower

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paradise
My comments are partly based on pre-COVID history, but mainly because of my experiences booking summer at Lagoon in 2023. I started walking a little over three weeks out and had to keep dancing around different 2BRs as my walks failed...once mid-week (to my great annoyance) in 'our' OF 2BR.
what do you mean, walks failed?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Hi, when you walk the reservation, can you edit the check in date to push it forward? is there a fee to do this?
Yes, as long as you have a changeable reservation and > 61 days from the check-in date. There isn’t a fee.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi, when you walk the reservation, can you edit the check in date to push it forward? is there a fee to do this? thanks!

No fee. You can change any date, start or finish. By definition changing the start date is "walking" the reservation. Once you get to the desired start, you can walk the end date out to your desired length of stay.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
spending a good chunk of time relaxing at the beach.
You had better research the beaches on the BI. Waikoloa does not have one. The closest is not a bad drive away but parking and size of beach may not be what you're expecting. You do need a car on BI.
Waikiki Beach = beaches (its in the name!) & yes there are pools too, but if you're a "beach person", do you really want to sit at a crowded pool ... maybe with noisy kids
Waikoloa = pools or get in the car day after day
If I were getting into a car to drive to the beach, I'd rather drive to Waimanalo on Oahu. It is further but it is far more "nature" than the beaches you are likely to drive to on BI, unless you drive a long way.
If you want to drive a lot and want a volcano and better snorkeling, BI may be it. If you really have "beach" in your head, Oahu & Maui both beat Waikoloa.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali beach Club. Bay Club
You had better research the beaches on the BI. Waikoloa does not have one. The closest is not a bad drive away but parking and size of beach may not be what you're expecting. You do need a car on BI.
Waikiki Beach = beaches (its in the name!) & yes there are pools too, but if you're a "beach person", do you really want to sit at a crowded pool ... maybe with noisy kids
Waikoloa = pools or get in the car day after day
If I were getting into a car to drive to the beach, I'd rather drive to Waimanalo on Oahu. It is further but it is far more "nature" than the beaches you are likely to drive to on BI, unless you drive a long way.
If you want to drive a lot and want a volcano and better snorkeling, BI may be it. If you really have "beach" in your head, Oahu & Maui both beat Waikoloa.
We have walked down the trail next to the end of the Hilton parking lot to A-Bay several times. (not the kings trail). Trail is a little rocky about a 10-15 minute walk. A-Bay is right behind the Marriott I assume there is a better access point at the Marriott.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
what do you mean, walks failed?
"Walking" is the practice of making a reservation on an earlier date than the one you actually want and then moving it forward day by day. 'Failing' means just that...the next day is unavailable to be booked.

Which at Lagoon (since Home Week reservations can only be Sat-Sat) should only be possible when adding a Saturday night stay. But for whatever reason, I and others have experienced mid-week failures as well.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
We have walked down the trail next to the end of the Hilton parking lot to A-Bay several times. (not the kings trail). Trail is a little rocky about a 10-15 minute walk. A-Bay is right behind the Marriott I assume there is a better access point at the Marriott.
Huh? Interesting. I'll have to research that. I'd do that, even if just for a change of pace & a hike. Thanks.
Take note, OP

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Huh? Interesting. I'll have to research that. I'd do that, even if just for a change of pace & a hike. Thanks.
Take note, OP
We have done this as well. The Lava Lava Beach Club is nearby for afternoon snacks.

Cheers.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Take note, OP

No, Waikoloa is horrible for beaches, stay away, tell your friends. The last thing we want is to turn it into Waikiki.