• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

eSIM

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
Has anyone used an eSIM when traveling abroad? I’m going to South America for 2 weeks and I’m looking at Holafly. How easy is it to setup and use? I’ll be on a cruise, will it work with no extra charges while at sea?
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Jeff C

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
There have been numerous threads about esims on TUG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did do a search before posting but the info really wasn’t what I was looking for. So after more research I decided to go with Airalo, which was discussed in one of the threads.
I’m here now in Buenos Aires and here’s my first impressions. Airalo was very easy to download and install, I’d say too easy. I was planning to use specific apps which according to Airalo were compatible; iMessage, WhatsApp, Wi-Fi calling and text. My wife was going to use mostly Facebook messenger.

All these apps were setup and working on both phones with the exception of WhatsApp on DW’s phone. Well here’s where the problems come in. Wi-Fi calling doesn’t work at all because in order to turn it on the phone needs an SMS text to add it. In order to get the text I’d have to switch to my regular carrier (ATT), incurring a $10 charge from them. I’ve been back and forth with their customer support about whether this could have been done before I left but I can’t get a straight answer about that.

As far as iMessage there’s a similar problem, I get a waiting for activation message, which is because it too requires an SMS message to activate it.

With WhatsApp DW has it loaded on her phone but she never finished the setup. So when I tried to set it up you guessed it, she needs to load a code that’s sent by SMS message.

All that being said the eSIM is working for me in WhatsApp and DW in messenger. For general internet use it works well where you have a good signal. I don’t know how well it will work while we’re out to sea given the weak signal, but I knew that coming in. I’d say for anyone looking to use an eSIM find out as much as you can about how the apps you’ll be using need to be setup. I think the easy setup I experienced led me to believe that the rest of the process was that simple.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
For ease of use, you need to have WiFi calling and other apps configured prior to leaving your home network.

Also, you need to be sure you keep data roaming off on your home account and make sure it doesn’t automatically enable connection to the foreign network, or else WiFi calling won’t work. I’m dealing with that this week myself, as Mint Mobile recently added foreign service options and now my home sim is automatically connecting to other networks, which prevents the phone from using the other sim/data for voice calls. I’m waiting now for Mint to disable international calling options on my account now. Some providers, such as T-Mobile, allow you to configure this in the management console directly but mint does not.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I don’t know how well it will work while we’re out to sea given the weak signal, but I knew that coming in.

None of the cellular networks will work at sea unless you pay the exorbitant rates to the cruise ship “cellular at sea” or similar service they offer. If you want to use data while at sea, you only have one affordable option: the internet package from the cruise ship. And if they have decent service (which cruise line?) your WiFi calling will work on board.

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought I did have the Wi-Fi calling setup before I left. The problem was there was no way to test it. The plan I bought, LATAM link, only works when connected to a tower in S America. In retrospect I should have bought a global plan, activated it at home to test the different apps.

At sea I’m hoping for functionality in port. This cruise doesn’t go to far from land, so we should have weak signal most of the time. We’re on the Norwegian Star, which does have at sea Wi-Fi through the ship (really expensive) or Att ($60 for 30 days). Att’s plan only works while the ship is out to sea. They turn it off in port. So you still need some connection while in port. I learned the hard way about relying on att while at sea in Alaska. My plan includes the us and Canada, but while on an alaska cruise my phone connected to a maritime network. It cost $20/hr for non subscribers . According to Airalo as long as I have data switching turned off I won’t inadvertently connect to an outside network.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I thought I did have the Wi-Fi calling setup before I left. The problem was there was no way to test it. The plan I bought, LATAM link, only works when connected to a tower in S America. In retrospect I should have bought a global plan, activated it at home to test the different apps.

WiFi calling would work at your home on WiFi. That’s all you needed to do to test, not test on cellular.

At sea I’m hoping for functionality in port. This cruise doesn’t go to far from land, so we should have weak signal most of the time. We’re on the Norwegian Star, which does have at sea Wi-Fi through the ship (really expensive) or Att ($60 for 30 days). Att’s plan only works while the ship is out to sea. They turn it off in port. So you still need some connection while in port. I learned the hard way about relying on att while at sea in Alaska. My plan includes the us and Canada, but while on an alaska cruise my phone connected to a maritime network. It cost $20/hr for non subscribers . According to Airalo as long as I have data switching turned off I won’t inadvertently connect to an outside network.

NCL internet is not that expensive, but everything is relative. If you don’t need internet for anything else, then it would be expensive just for a few calls. I suggest you verify that ATT plan and find out its limits before you use it. I always buy the ship internet package.

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wi-Fi calling was working at home. One of the instructional videos I watched said to leave it off and enable it on arrival. I didn’t enable it on the Airalo line before leaving. Once I got here I couldn’t enable it without switching back to att on both phones. Wasn’t worth it to me. I don’t really need to be connected 24/7. We travel with a large group of DW’s friends and they communicate through messenger while traveling.
It’s a live and learn thing. I just found the setup documentation severely lacking. Thank you Ken for your insights and advice.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Wi-Fi calling was working at home. One of the instructional videos I watched said to leave it off and enable it on arrival. I didn’t enable it on the Airalo line before leaving. Once I got here I couldn’t enable it without switching back to att on both phones. Wasn’t worth it to me. I don’t really need to be connected 24/7. We travel with a large group of DW’s friends and they communicate through messenger while traveling.
It’s a live and learn thing. I just found the setup documentation severely lacking. Thank you Ken for your insights and advice.

You should leave it on all the time. As for the Airalo esim, did they provide you with a phone number? If not, there’s no reason to turn WiFi calling on for that sim, and you really don’t want it anyway since you should be using your home sim for WiFi calling on the airalo connection.

Anyway, data only apps (such as messenger) don’t care about WiFi calling.