• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Future of Fort Myers/Sanibel Resorts

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pat:

Bel Air Beach Club . . . . . You and Ron and Conchman.

Again at Lighthouse on Sanibel, and South Seas on Captiva, and a few other places.

We don't do exchanges any more since we live in Florida in the Winter, but I still use RCI to get (mostly) Last Calls for a few people.

& we own at that little resort you're not too fond of, and use the day-use privileges for a beach club.
What year was bel air? Ron had trouble driving home us why I ask.
I have 55 tpus expiring but can’t book because I need another surgery and probably radiation

Last edited:

mmm2014

Reaction score
Yeah. It sounds like there'll be a lot of high rise condos built on 20 foot high stilts. Can you build high rise condos on 20 foot stilts? I guess you can but they're going to have to be SOME stilts. :)

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Red coconut RV park on fort myers beach just sold to developer for 52 million dollars

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Red coconut RV park on fort myers beach just sold to developer for 52 million dollars
sorry duplicate

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Pat:

Lawren at South Seas and several pontoon rides at Bonita Resort and Club.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is Nationwide Insurance dropping coverage in this area?
Nationwide Insurance dropped over 10,000 home Insurance policyholders coverage in OBX, North Carolina last week.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
We went to FMB a couple weeks ago. It's still a mell of a hess. None of the several resorts we stayed at over the years are habitable or even there. It will be totally different place when those with deep pockets take it over.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just at the Pink Shell today. Passed the Abel wire Beach Club. Still so much work to be done

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I talked to a guy who'd been there a few weeks ago.
He said the place looked like it'd been bombed in a war.
There were places that were nothing but concrete slabs.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked to a guy who'd been there a few weeks ago.
He said the place looked like it'd been bombed in a war.
There were places that were nothing but concrete slabs.
Yes, surrounded by chain link fences.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Windward Passage is suppose to have a phased reopening for later in 24. I assume the resorts on the beach that manage to rebuilt will have fantastic trade power.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Windward Passage is suppose to have a phased reopening for later in 24. I assume the resorts on the beach that manage to rebuilt will have fantastic trade power.
Tropical Sands Resort on FMB now hopes to reopen within the next 2 months, according to the Board President during a Board meeting on January 31, 2024.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Tropical Sands Resort on FMB now hopes to reopen within the next 2 months, according to the Board President during a Board meeting on January 31, 2024.

Realistically, will it be a desirable place to go if the rest of the town still looks like a war zone? Or, maybe it isn't that bad?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Realistically, will it be a desirable place to go if the rest of the town still looks like a war zone? Or, maybe it isn't that bad?
Have you been there lately? The area has recovered nicely. Sure, there is a lot of construction and many empty lots where buildings were razed, but it is hardly a "war zone".

Kurt

Brett

Reaction score

I was there last week, Sanibel Island and Fort Myers didn't look like a war zone.
On Sanibel island the road leading to the lighthouse was closed for "beach replenishment"

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Have you been there lately? The area has recovered nicely. Sure, there is a lot of construction and many empty lots where buildings were razed, but it is hardly a "war zone".

Kurt
No, I haven't. That's why I asked. I'd like to but want to know what I'd be getting into.

HGVC has a bunch of external exchange resorts in SW Florida but availability is very spotty. So, I suppose by the time I actually got a reservation, things would be better yet!

We'll be in South Florida (Pompano Beach) for two weeks in a couple of months. Could make a nice day trip -- Marco Island north.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was there last week, Sanibel Island and Fort Myers didn't look like a war zone.
On Sanibel island the road leading to the lighthouse was closed for "beach replenishment"
And on Fort Myers Beach, a brand new, expansive (but expensive) Margaritaville Resort property opened in late December, 2023 in the Time Square area and is clearly thriving. Several very popular FMB restaurants have relocated (but still remain on Estero Island / FMB) and are also thriving. Beach replenishment has been underway for a while now and is continuing. Time Square revitalization and Pier replacement will likely take 3-5 years, however.

That geographic area is a long way from full recovery from Hurricane Ian damage on September 28, 2022 and many condo buildings are under repair and not yet fully reopened (some are actually just now beginning their repair and reconstruction efforts during and after their ongoing insurance battles). FMB was very badly hurt, but is now clearly healing and hardly a “war zone”. Gone forever, however, are the quaint cottages and the small town beach vibe, soon to be permanently replaced by lots of corporate-backed new condo developments. Inevitable "progress" perhaps, but nonetheless a bit sad.

Last edited:

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mariner's Boathouse has finally just received its full restoration permit. I'm not an owner, but have traded in, and lost my second exchange to Ian (and it's rare for me to ever exchange into the same place 2x). I loved its location, especially the lagoon full of birds between it and the ocean (in full view of the screened porches), so hope that will still be there. FMB did look sorta like a war zone about a year ago, but I have hope.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Windward Passage has an anticipated reopening schedule of Oct. 1. The plan is to reinstate reservations that were cancelled due to the hurricane and basically pick up where they left off. Info per Resort Manager.