• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Historical Sale Prices for 1st Time Resale Buyer [HRC Highlands Inn]

Ishyjo

Reaction score
Hi Tuggers,

I'm looking to purchase HRC Highlands Inn and want to know if there are any historical sale prices to compare vs sale price? Looking at Diamond week, 1 BR Premium, 2200 points.

Thanks in advance!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
You can look at ROFR.net

ChicagoDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe x2
Hyatt Highlands Inn
Renaissance Aruba
Westin Lagunamar
I purchased a Diamond week at Highlands Inn last Fall for $7,000 or $7,500. It’s a two level horizon/oceanview townhouse unit with 1 bedroom and 1.5 baths. If you can find a Diamond week at this resort for under $8,500, it’s a decent deal in my opinion.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hi Tuggers,

I'm looking to purchase HRC Highlands Inn and want to know if there are any historical sale prices to compare vs sale price? Looking at Diamond week, 1 BR Premium, 2200 points.

Thanks in advance!
Contact Bill Gabrielli at 775-690-2653. He is based in the Tahoe/Reno area and is a very knowledgeable broker who handles Hyatt resales. We bought our units through him.

Best regards.

Mike

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Than you all for the input!

How do you plan on using that week?

If it's, "We're going to stay in our unit every year -- I can work 51 weeks as long as I get my week in Carmel," then I don't have anything additional for you. I go there as often as I can. It's a great property which checks off all my vacation boxes.

If it's, "We plan on trading often," then I have a lot of advice.

Ishyjo

Reaction score
How do you plan on using that week?

If it's, "We're going to stay in our unit every year -- I can work 51 weeks as long as I get my week in Carmel," then I don't have anything additional for you. I go there as often as I can. It's a great property which checks off all my vacation boxes.

If it's, "We plan on trading often," then I have a lot of advice.
In the first few years, we'll probably use the home resort. However, we do like to see other parts of the country and allow the kids to experience that. So definitely interested in trading into II. Do share!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
In the first few years, we'll probably use the home resort. However, we do like to see other parts of the country and allow the kids to experience that. So definitely interested in trading into II. Do share!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Carmel is expensive -- initial purchase and maintenance fee. Unless you need to know that you have week 42 ready in Carmel every year, it's best to buy one of the lower-cost Hyatts. If you plan on going to Carmel, but different weeks of the year, it's also best to just save your money.

The only reason to own Carmel, Maui, or the various ski weeks is because you know you're going to use them often enough to justify the cost. If you can live with "anything during the summer," you can get away with a Sedona or San Antonio week and save a bundle.

And for II, trading from a pricey week with a high maintenance fee makes no sense at all. That's all I've been doing for the last 20 years -- trading to II. The only numbers which matter are 1300, 870 and 430 -- the cost of a 2 bd, 1bd and studio. It could even be less in low season. But best to assume those numbers and be pleasantly surprised. ANY Hyatt is going to trade like a monster in II, so it doesn't matter at all what you own. And in the case of Carmel and Maui, you will ALWAYS be trading down in II. I have a silly little Beach House week, and almost all my trades are downwards. But not nearly as lopsided as a Carmel trade into II would be.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carmel is expensive -- initial purchase and maintenance fee. Unless you need to know that you have week 42 ready in Carmel every year, it's best to buy one of the lower-cost Hyatts. If you plan on going to Carmel, but different weeks of the year, it's also best to just save your money.

The only reason to own Carmel, Maui, or the various ski weeks is because you know you're going to use them often enough to justify the cost. If you can live with "anything during the summer," you can get away with a Sedona or San Antonio week and save a bundle.

And for II, trading from a pricey week with a high maintenance fee makes no sense at all. That's all I've been doing for the last 20 years -- trading to II. The only numbers which matter are 1300, 870 and 430 -- the cost of a 2 bd, 1bd and studio. It could even be less in low season. But best to assume those numbers and be pleasantly surprised. ANY Hyatt is going to trade like a monster in II, so it doesn't matter at all what you own. And in the case of Carmel and Maui, you will ALWAYS be trading down in II. I have a silly little Beach House week, and almost all my trades are downwards. But not nearly as lopsided as a Carmel trade into II would be.
As Scoop says, if you are flexible then the better deal is to buy an HRC week with cheaper MFs elsewhere and trade in. You will find it easy to trade into Carmel as long as your schedule is flexible, and as long as you buy a week with enough points to trade in. You will need 2000-2200 points to trade into the best weeks in Carmel for a week. If you must have the guarantee of a specific week in Carmel every year, then by all means buy that week.

Ishyjo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback, really appreciate the insight.

I ended up with a purchase price for diamond week at Highlands Carmel for 6500 ocean view top floor with Redweek full service agent.

I tried reading up on best closing companies to use, many people recommend LT transfers for low cost and speedy service.

However, it turns out that LT transfer costs more than Dedicated Timeshares - based on the full service Redweek agent:

LT transfer: $550 (does not include title insurance, as they don't provide that service)
Dedicated Timeshares: 710 with title insurance, 460 without

I probably won't need title insurance since the seller does not have any debt, and they purchase directly from the developer.
I'm just dumbfounded that LT transfer is 90 more than Dedicated Timeshares, especially with so many forum testimonials that they are cheap and fast.

Also, their website also claims cost for California is $275 plus postage and recording fees. :unsure:

My purchase price is 6500 for diamond week at HRC Highland Carmel - does the closing cost have to do with the purchase price?

https://www.lttransfers.com/how-it-works/
Step 1 – Understand the cost. We charge $225* to prepare the documents needed to transfer your timeshare plus postage and recording fees — these are based on where your timeshare is located.
* California, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Orleans, Washington, and Wisconsin Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Hampshire, Vermont, Washington DC, and Rhode Island are $275 plus postage and recording fees.

Ishyjo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback, really appreciate the insight.

I ended up with a purchase price for diamond week at Highlands Carmel for 6500 ocean view top floor with Redweek full service agent.

I tried reading up on best closing companies to use, many people recommend LT transfers for low cost and speedy service.

However, it turns out that LT transfer costs more than Dedicated Timeshares - based on the full service Redweek agent:

LT transfer: $550 (does not include title insurance, as they don't provide that service)
Dedicated Timeshares: 710 with title insurance, 460 without

I probably won't need title insurance since the seller does not have any debt, and they purchase directly from the developer.
I'm just dumbfounded that LT transfer is 90 more than Dedicated Timeshares, especially with so many forum testimonials that they are cheap and fast.

Also, their website also claims cost for California is $275 plus postage and recording fees. :unsure:

My purchase price is 6500 for diamond week at HRC Highland Carmel - does the closing cost have to do with the purchase price?

https://www.lttransfers.com/how-it-works/
Step 1 – Understand the cost. We charge $225* to prepare the documents needed to transfer your timeshare plus postage and recording fees — these are based on where your timeshare is located.
* California, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Orleans, Washington, and Wisconsin Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Hampshire, Vermont, Washington DC, and Rhode Island are $275 plus postage and recording fees.
Just want to update the forum on this purchase.

I just received notification from LT Transfers that Hyatt exercised ROFR for this unit. Kinda bummed about this, was really looking forward to using this for years to come.
Back to the drawing board. :(

MtTam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Contact Bill Gabrielli at 775-690-2653. He is based in the Tahoe/Reno area and is a very knowledgeable broker who handles Hyatt resales. We bought our units through him.

Best regards.

Mike
Thanks for Bill Gabrielli info! I just called and spoke with him. Most informative person I've spoken to regarding Hyatt info and my questions - even though I told him upfront I'm not buying or selling anything right now (and I've owned Hyatt for over 20 years).

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks for Bill Gabrielli info! I just called and spoke with him. Most informative person I've spoken to regarding Hyatt info and my questions - even though I told him upfront I'm not buying or selling anything right now (and I've owned Hyatt for over 20 years).
Glad you were able to connect with Bill. He’s a nice guy and a great resource.