• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How far is it from Santa Ana airport to Coronado?

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how far Coronado is from the Santa Ana airport? (our flights are already booked so we can't really change airports) And how far it is it from Coronado to Laguna Beach?

We've had a couple ongoing searches for Laguna area for mid-Oct and the Coronado one just came up for the exact dates we need. However, we've been wanting to go back to Laguna so my wife can do more surfing. Is it too far away? Are there other good surf teaching shops in the Coronado area?

Should we take it or hold off hoping for something closer like Capistrano or San Clemente?

Any advice would be great!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I would jump at Coronado. Just love that area. I've got to think there are surfing schools in the San Diego area. The distance from the Santa Ana (John Wayne) airport is about 90 miles. Laguna Beach is about 85 miles from Coronado.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
From John Wayne to Laguna beach is only a fifteen minute drive, to Coronado at most a 90 minute drive in decent traffic. What time of day are you coming in? You could stop at the San Clemente Pier on your way down I see surfers all the time there and I think the city even offers surf lessons. Its also a very scenic place to have lunch right on the pier. More ambience than great food but what a view. My father has a bench dedicated to his memory half way down the pier. It is not far off the freeway and has good parking that time of year.;)

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife previously took lessons from a shop at Laguna so we want to stay near there. I think that Coronado would be too far to drive from every day back to Laguna. Tough to justify.

Hopefully something else will pop up.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Assume an hour and a half drive. Up to three hours in morning or evening traffic.

swilli

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you estimate your drive-time from Coronado to Santa Ana do not forget to consider traffic, which can be very heavy in San Diego and Orange Counties. It could easily take 3 hours to drive the 90 miles from Coronado to Santa Ana during certain times of the day even though it is almost all freeway. I am not trying to discourage Coronando. It is beautiful.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If you're going to want to spend most of your time in Laguna Beach I wouldn't stay in Coronado. Personally I love San Diego, and having lived in the Santa Ana, Newport Beach, Laguna area for awhile I'd rather spend my vacation in San Diego. But, that's personal preference.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
We'd second Coranado (we're going to be there for Christmas again this year), and find a new surf shop. The shop you like in Laguna should be able to refer you to a good shop in San Diego. Besides, the water is warmer:D

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Coronado's going to work out for us. It's just a bit too far to drive as we've got other things planned besides surfing around the Capistrano area.

Oh well. That means that SFX has got an exchange for mid-Oct available to whoever can get it.

Thanks for the feedback.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I suggest that you try alternate trading sites Platinum Interchange and Hawaii Timeshare Exchange for October Southern California trades.