• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

In need of Advice !! Help!!

Eta0sss

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba, GrandLevel Owner Occidental Vacation Club
I'm an owner at Barcelo, Aruba it used to be Occidental, It still is titled Occidental Vacation Club. I've been an owner Since 2006 my vacation club is fully paid for however, I don't travel as much as I am retired and I'm a little weary of these Maintenance fees. And they do not offer the same amenities as they did Years ago; since it became Barcelo, what if I stopped paying my Maintenance fees what would happen? Or how may I get out of this ownership? Thank you!!!

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
What will happen? If you're a US Citizen, almost certainly nothing will happen. You'll be out everything you've spent on the timeshare. And you'll get threatening phone calls and mail for awhile.

If this was my problem, I would:

1) Take any vacations that are still associated with this week. If there are vacation days on the table, use them. You paid for them after all. If nothing else, gift them to a relative -- if you have a relative who isn't going to cancel last minute, not understanding it doesn't work that way with timeshares. (I don't have such a relative.)

2) Do a little research and see if this week has any value at all. (Completed sales on eBay, for instance.) Offer it up for free if not. See if anyone wants it. This is the easiest way out. But assuming this is a no;

3) Stop paying. Write a letter to the management company informing them that you are walking away from the timeshare. And they are welcome to take the deed in lieu of foreclosure.

4) Be prepared for a full-court press, threatening foreclosure, garnishment, reporting to credit companies and similar. Bin it all. Block their number. They're in Aruba. They can't send anyone after you in the US.

Eta0sss

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Really appreciate your advice, will definitely give it some consideration!! Thank you!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it actually a deeded ownership? Or is it a 'Right to Use' travel club membership? I'm guessing it's a RTU, so the only teeth it has is to close your membership when you stop paying. That's what you want anyway.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Is it actually a deeded ownership? Or is it a 'Right to Use' travel club membership?

Aruba allows foreign ownership of property. I have a good friend who moved there to be a scuba instructor. He bought a house at just the right time. Now if he ever decides to move, he'll be a gazillionaire.

Since it's an older resort which had a change in management, it could go either way. But since it's Aruba and not Topeka, OP can simply stop paying and walk away. Although since Aruba is really nice (especially if you like it windy), I'd at least float the possibility of selling or giving the week away. Maybe a kite enthusiast desperately wants that week.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Does your TS ownership company have any offices in the USA? Do you mail your Maintenance Fee to Aruba? Are the documents based on Aruba laws? Some Mexican timeshares have US offices to avoid such practices. I would check with a lawyer.

FWIW...I prefer RTU European timeshares over deeded U.S. properties for easy exit reasons and less legal hassles. Know what you own.

Last edited:

Eta0sss

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm an owner at Barcelo, Aruba it used to be Occidental, It still is titled Occidental Vacation Club. I've been an owner Since 2006 my vacation club is fully paid for however, I don't travel as much as I am retired and I'm a little weary of these Maintenance fees. And they do not offer the same amenities as they did Years ago; since it became Barcelo, what if I stopped paying my Maintenance fees what would happen? Or how may I get out of this ownership? Thank you!!!
I believe it is a deeded ownership, bound by Aruba Laws, yes it does, or did have hotels in Cuban, it’s called a Vacation Club, which gives you, supposedly more options? I’ve given it more thought, and for now I will continue as is. Thank you all for taking the time for your advice!!!

wmgjr

Reaction score
I believe it is a deeded ownership, bound by Aruba Laws, yes it does, or did have hotels in Cuban, it’s called a Vacation Club, which gives you, supposedly more options? I’ve given it more thought, and for now I will continue as is. Thank you all for taking the time for your advice!!!
Dm me. Looking for Cuban stay to exchange or rent