• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interval International Limited Exchange Activity

spec1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this board and the whole timeshare thing. I almost made a huge mistake in buying HVC points from a sales pitch for $24k. Well, I did sign the contract, but just sent the letter to rescind it (within the allotted 6 day period). Anyway, that deal was obviously a very bad one as I now understand, but from reading and researching more, it seems that one can get a good deal by buying or taking over a resale, with the intent to exchange in Interval International.

However, I'm wondering, how realistic it is to get an exchange into properties that are labelled "Limited Exchange Activity". Specifically, I'm interested in the Franz Klammer Lodge in Telluride in summer (not the winter skiing season). It is showing on II with a TDI between 100 and 130 depending on summer week, so not the highest demand. I'm looking at points-based systems, so for example it should take 1,850 Hyatt points for 1-week 2-bedroom stay there (plus exchange fee). I'm just not sure if I can count on there being any availability. It is normally around $900/night, so would be great value to book with points.

Any advice or shared experience with exchanging points into "limited exchange activity" properties would be appreciated! Thanks!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
My guess is it gets limited deposits and they are all in mud season. Nothing in winter and nothing in summer and fall.
Limited often means there are years with 0-1 deposits.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Typically the properties that say limited exchange activity are almost never available to exchange. Sometimes they may be available to purchase as getaways, sometimes not.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The only resort we exchanged into that was listed as Limited Exchange Activity was Ocean 2 Resort in Barbados. It shows up often as getaways, but seldom as exchange. I suppose anything is possible, but I wouldn't count on that type of exchange year over year.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember that the ability to exchange ownership to II, or any other exchange, is not usually a contracted benefit and, as Hyatt and Welk owners have just experienced, the terms can be changed significantly, making your "investment" worth a lot less to you.
Over the years people have got use to discretionary benefits being consistently available, but they aren't guaranteed.

spec1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for responses everyone. In this specific case, looks like there is pretty much nothing in Telluride on II. Will need to explore other Colorado towns to see if a membership would be worth it, taking into account the risks. I'm finding the "resorts" listed on II are a very mixed bag. Some are quite high-end, others not so much. Of course, I expect the higher end ones to have worse availability.

By the way, I believe the Hyatt sales rep was lying that you can get any Hyatt or Marriott hotel room through II at the studio points rate? I've seen some discussions that booking hotels through II is usually a bad deal, is that so?

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
Thanks for responses everyone. In this specific case, looks like there is pretty much nothing in Telluride on II. Will need to explore other Colorado towns to see if a membership would be worth it, taking into account the risks. I'm finding the "resorts" listed on II are a very mixed bag. Some are quite high-end, others not so much. Of course, I expect the higher end ones to have worse availability.

By the way, I believe the Hyatt sales rep was lying that you can get any Hyatt or Marriott hotel room through II at the studio points rate? I've seen some discussions that booking hotels through II is usually a bad deal, is that so?
Yeah they were lying. It’s a terrible use of points.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Very few Marriott hotels are in II. They sometimes show up in Getaways if the hotel owner has a private arrangement with II to help them sell excess inventory. But these are rare, very rare. You can't even use Hyatt Vacation Club points to convert to Bonvoy points since they are part of WOH.

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
^what they said. Plus, in my opinion, you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you enter the timesharing world with expectations of exchanging into a specific resort. The only way to guarantee you can stay at a specific resort is to own at that resort. I know they show new buyers an II Resort Directory and act like it is as easy as selecting a resort & week and hitting the exchange button, but it doesn't work that way. With timeshare trading, you're more likely to be successful if you're willing to cast a wide net and request multiple destinations, resorts, and dates.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas; Harborside Resort at Atlantis
I'm new to this board and the whole timeshare thing. I almost made a huge mistake in buying HVC points from a sales pitch for $24k. Well, I did sign the contract, but just sent the letter to rescind it (within the allotted 6 day period). Anyway, that deal was obviously a very bad one as I now understand, but from reading and researching more, it seems that one can get a good deal by buying or taking over a resale, with the intent to exchange in Interval International.

However, I'm wondering, how realistic it is to get an exchange into properties that are labelled "Limited Exchange Activity". Specifically, I'm interested in the Franz Klammer Lodge in Telluride in summer (not the winter skiing season). It is showing on II with a TDI between 100 and 130 depending on summer week, so not the highest demand. I'm looking at points-based systems, so for example it should take 1,850 Hyatt points for 1-week 2-bedroom stay there (plus exchange fee). I'm just not sure if I can count on there being any availability. It is normally around $900/night, so would be great value to book with points.

Any advice or shared experience with exchanging points into "limited exchange activity" properties would be appreciated! Thanks!
I've done around 10ish II exchanges from Harborside Resort at Atlantis (always exchanging my 1BR limited kitchen). I've gotten into plenty of II Elite resorts, and sometimes even gotten larger units, but almost always through requesting first and waiting. As far as limited exchange activity properties, I only had success once and that was with Grand Solmar Lands End Resort and Spa. Took multiple attempts and six months of waiting. I actually have Franz Klammer on a request right now, but am not holding my breath :) . Telluride is tough with all five of the resorts on II.