• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Jockey Club Questions before purchase

Daystrike

Reaction score
Aloha!
TLDR; never owned a timeshare, want a 1/1.5 or 2 br Jockey Club, unsure of what I’m looking for. On mobile, so please excuse formatting and tenseness.

Long time lurker (5+ years), but finally ready to join the group.

My family and I have been doing an annual convention in Vegas for 12 years, and for 10 of those years we have been buying others’ timeshare time via sites like AirBNB and VRBO. Now we are adding a second annual convention and it just makes sense to purchase time on our own. However, we need a larger room, but all the listings for Jockey Club on TUG indicate points rather than room size and season. I’ve tried to look up what this means or equates to, but I can’t find information. Does anyone know how to translate the listings? We are quite set on the Jockey Club due to the proximity to the resorts that have shuttles and the connection to the Cosmo.

Also, is there going to be any consequences of MGM acquiring the Cosmopolitan?

I’m considering just jumping in feet first and learning how to swim. Part of the reason for exploring purchase options is that our finances are finally in a position that we can take on this risk (of not quite knowing what we are doing) :D.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
welcome to TUG!

jockey club is a sapphire/geo resorts timeshare and they have their own points system.

would not suggest jumping in feet first, nor buying into sapphire/geo...there are just so many other options out there especially in vegas unless you are just set on that particular location!

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Aloha!
TLDR; never owned a timeshare, want a 1/1.5 or 2 br Jockey Club, unsure of what I’m looking for. On mobile, so please excuse formatting and tenseness.

Long time lurker (5+ years), but finally ready to join the group.

My family and I have been doing an annual convention in Vegas for 12 years, and for 10 of those years we have been buying others’ timeshare time via sites like AirBNB and VRBO. Now we are adding a second annual convention and it just makes sense to purchase time on our own. However, we need a larger room, but all the listings for Jockey Club on TUG indicate points rather than room size and season. I’ve tried to look up what this means or equates to, but I can’t find information. Does anyone know how to translate the listings? We are quite set on the Jockey Club due to the proximity to the resorts that have shuttles and the connection to the Cosmo.

Also, is there going to be any consequences of MGM acquiring the Cosmopolitan?

I’m considering just jumping in feet first and learning how to swim. Part of the reason for exploring purchase options is that our finances are finally in a position that we can take on this risk (of not quite knowing what we are doing) :D.
I would not jump in without researching all of the options available. We toured the Jockey Club once and the closer said “this is the Cadillac of timeshares.” I can assure you that is far from the truth. The location is good, but that is it.

Check out redweek.com for the Marriott Grand Chateau, which is just across the strip and a block away from it. They have various sized units and the quality is much better. It trades in Interval International.

Hilton also has several options in Las Vegas. Elara is next to Grand Chateau. Polo Towers, which was formerly Diamond Resorts and is now part of Hilton Vacation Club, is also close by.

Bottom line is do your research before buying. Good luck.

Daystrike

Reaction score
unless you are just set on that particular location!
Yeah, that’s kinda the thing. We are pretty set on Jockey Club. We’ve done stays at the Marriott Grand Chateau and the MGM Grand Signature. Haven’t wanted to do Polo Towers because of how isolated from the resorts it is (a few of our party likes to be connected). We’ve really liked the year-round heated pool and late access to the fitness room (not a fan of their recent move to limit hours from 24 hour access). So far, this is the one we’ve liked and selected to stay at that checks off the boxes for all of our party.

Maybe better option would be to purchase another timeshare to learn how timesharing works and then go for the location we want?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Besides listings on TUG for free with Sapphire/Geo, which I just checked and there are plenty, you can alo pick up free Sapphire and Geo Holiday club memberships, with no closing fees. You know what they say, if it is free to pick up, it is hard to get rid of later.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you stayed at the Jockey Club?
I stayed there 10+ years ago and wasn't impressed.

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
What do you like about the Jockey Club? That place is barely a step up from Circus Circus.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never stayed at the Jockey Club but did walk about the place.
It appeared to me that half of the units face the Cosmo a short distance behind it.

If you buy into Wyndham, rci membership is free where low cost rentals are always available in Vegas. Use the points elsewhere.

Daystrike

Reaction score
Mahalo nui loa (thank you very much) to everyone who has responded. It made it much easier to parse the information. Upon further review, it looks like there are those who are selling deeded timeshares and those who are trying to offload their membership in the Sapphire Resorts membership program—two completely different things. I am guessing that the deeded timeshares are probably the better idea if I go forward with any purchase.
Have you stayed at the Jockey Club?
I stayed there 10+ years ago and wasn't impressed.
Yes, our entire party has stayed at the Jockey Club (and we have specifically returned to it at least 7 out of the 10+ years we've been going for this conference). I mean, as a resort, it's not so hot, I guess. It's not fancy and it's pretty dated, and half the rooms face another building. But, it has what we need (space and location most of all), and I liked the 24-hour access to the spa/whirlpool after a day of walking the convention (I hope they bring 24 hours back. This year, they restricted access at midnight).
If you buy into Wyndham, rci membership is free where low cost rentals are always available in Vegas. Use the points elsewhere.
How does the priority shift (if at all) if you are doing an exchange vs. reserving as an owner? I worry because we will more than likely need the space during a peak season. We've already been bumped once when we were trying to rent by purchasing someone else's time (VRBO). Does this matter?

Again, mahalo nui loa to everyone responding! It's definitely helping me through the thought process!

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does the priority shift (if at all) if you are doing an exchange vs. reserving as an owner? I worry because we will more than likely need the space during a peak season. We've already been bumped once when we were trying to rent by purchasing someone else's time (VRBO). Does this matter?

I wasn't talking about an exchange.
Timeshares can be easily rented from rci at over built locations like Vegas and Orlando.

Even though I own some points at Wyndham Grand Desert, I recently rented a timeshare for a week for less than $600 dollars one block from the strip.

hg-Unit10 311.jpg

Last edited: