• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Waikiki Beach Hotel -- not a timeshare question

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I know this is a long shot, but has anyone stayed at this hotel at the other end of the beach from Hilton Hawaii Village closer to the zoo? I have a conference there (hence the not staying at a timeshare) and in addition to a conference rate for the hotel, the meetings start at 7 am (6:30 for breakfast!) so it didn't make any sense to stay somewhere else. Just looking for advice about which tower to request etc.

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed here about 20 years ago. I don’t remember about the towers, but we had a corner room with the ocean view. Wow. Oh yeah and the rooftop bar made great mai tais.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We stayed here about 20 years ago. I don’t remember about the towers, but we had a corner room with the ocean view. Wow. Oh yeah and the rooftop bar made great mai tais.
Thanks @normab. If you had great ocean views it was likely the Kealohilani tower. It is the one closest to the beach on Kalakaua Ave. The one behind it closer to Kuhio Ave is the Paoakalani Tower. Will be sure to check out the rooftop bar 🍹.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I have not stayed there, as we usually stay at an HGV resort.

Here is a YouTube review of the Marriott Waikiki from a channel i watch:

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had good stays there three times….the most recent about 10 years ago. We are Titanium Lifetime Bonvoy members, so each time we were upgraded to rooms in the building closest to the beach with fantastic ocean views. We also received a delicious breakfast every morning. There was a bar and grill restaurant with good views, and also a fantastic restaurant…I can’t remember the name, but there is one in Kapalua by the Ritz on Maui, too.…Amazing Suchi and Asian dishes, and at that time a happy hour with gold specials on both food and drinks. The rooftop pool is really small but was never crowded, and it’s right across the street from the beach. But this was 10 years ago…not sure about now.
If we went to Oahu again, we would spend a few nights there before moving on…gives you the chance to experience Waikiki before going to Ko Olina or other areas, or even a different island. Now, I’ve never been to HHV, as we stay primarily at Marriotts. HOWEVER, if you are expecting big pools and such, you will not get that. It’s more like a really nice big high rise hotel across from the beach with great views if you get in that building closest to the beach. I would think it would be a great location for your conference..it just won’t be like the HHV, which I think(I may be wrong) but is a much bigger complex, with probably more vacation club like things…but I may be wrong.
Have a great time! no matter where you stay, you will be in Hawaii, which is wonderful!

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you @Lakeshore. HHV is definitely much bigger with several towers, although this hotel has over 1000 rooms so still large. It is close to the zoo and closer to Diamond Head and I think it will be a great place to be for a week. I have stayed at that end of Waikiki and like it a lot (I like the HHV end too).

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you @Lakeshore. HHV is definitely much bigger with several towers, although this hotel has over 1000 rooms so still large. It is close to the zoo and closer to Diamond Head and I think it will be a great place to be for a week. I have stayed at that end of Waikiki and like it a lot (I like the HHV end too).
Yes, we liked the location of the Marriott…we went to the zoo, took a bus to Diamond Head, and had fun days at the beach and delicuous diners at night…then got into the nice and cozy beds with the great views at the Marriott…no complaints here. 😊

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second those Mai Tais!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I stayed there over 20 years ago in 2001 before moving down to HHV on a 5 night attend a presentation deal.

We had a side room facing the zoo and Diamondhead, with a side view of the beach and ocean. We really enjoyed that end of Waikiki, the beach was so convenient to the hotel. Our son played in the waterfalls for washing your feet as you leave the beach, he called it Shrek's Swamp. They had a pop up movie screen and played movies at the end of the beach. It was Memorial weekend and there was a parade with many college marching bands and Pearl Harbor survivors in classic cars. Good memories.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
There was a bar and grill restaurant with good views, and also a fantastic restaurant…I can’t remember the name, but there is one in Kapalua by the Ritz on Maui, too.…Amazing Suchi and Asian dishes, and at that time a happy hour with gold specials on both food and drinks. The rooftop pool is really small but was never crowded, and it’s right across the street from the beach. But this was 10 years ago…not sure about now.
Sansei Seafood IIRC