• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help with Hyatt fixed week

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
Hello, Im familiar with the Marriott abound system and the Vistana star options world, but not too familiar with Hyatt.

My parents have two fixed weeks in Hyatt: a week in carmel and another week in Lake Tahoe at incline village. Both are fixed weeks. Due to some health issues they are unlikely to be able to use their fixed week in the end of March.

What are the rules and availability options around canceling their reservation and getting some kind of Hyatt points back? What’s the deadline to convert to Hyatt hotel points?

Or pointers to the right guides here for me to read up on would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Hello, Im familiar with the Marriott abound system and the Vistana star options world, but not too familiar with Hyatt.

My parents have two fixed weeks in Hyatt: a week in carmel and another week in Lake Tahoe at incline village. Both are fixed weeks. Due to some health issues they are unlikely to be able to use their fixed week in the end of March.

What are the rules and availability options around canceling their reservation and getting some kind of Hyatt points back? What’s the deadline to convert to Hyatt hotel points?

You can call 800-GO-HYATT and maybe they'll work with you. But all those deadlines passed. The most recent one was the four-month window to drop your points into Interval (which is the safest place to park them because they're good for an additional year that way).

Hotel point conversion is the worst use of your points. You don't get much hotel time for your timeshare points. (As little as a single night.)

Marriott runs the show now. If they won't do anything for you, your only option is to try to rent the weeks out, or find someone you can gift the stay to.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to determine if they reserved both weeks. It is not done by default. If your parents do not know or remember, I would call GO HYATT - but I suspect they will want to verify with one of your parents before they will talk to you. Below are the rules, but they might make an exception about EEE?

1) If your parents did NOT reserve both home weeks, those specific weeks are likely not available since released 6 months out and you have unrestricted points to spend in a short period of time before each use week. They can be spent in Hyatt or Interval or a combination.

2) If your parents DID reserve both home weeks, you have the right to rent them (allowed for a full home week only). You have multiple options within TUG (and outside) but the last minute rental board is limited to $805 a week but they would liekly go FAST if you posted them. There are other boards on TUG to ask for more, and other options outside of TUG. Price will matter.

And IF you cancel those reservations, your points will be restricted for Hyatt reservations within 2 months out since cancelled within 2 months out. As Scoop said, you cannot move them (without an exception) to Extended Exchange which is parked interval points with an extended life. But before each week occurs, you can reserve anything in Interval with those points that you can see which is likely up to a year out. If you add EPlus, you can make a reservation to park the points and change the reservation. It will buy you a lot of time.

You need to move fast for the points associated with the March 2024 ownerships. Keep us posted and feel free to ask more questions.

And both are desireable units which have value and can be sold if desired.

Last edited:

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
You can call 800-GO-HYATT and maybe they'll work with you. But all those deadlines passed. The most recent one was the four-month window to drop your points into Interval (which is the safest place to park them because they're good for an additional year that way).

Hotel point conversion is the worst use of your points. You don't get much hotel time for your timeshare points. (As little as a single night.)

Marriott runs the show now. If they won't do anything for you, your only option is to try to rent the weeks out, or find someone you can gift the stay to.

You need to determine if they reserved both weeks. It is not done by default. If your parents do not know or remember, I would call GO HYATT - but I suspect they will want to verify with one of your parents before they will talk to you. Below are the rules, but they might make an exception about EEE?

1) If your parents did NOT reserve both home weeks, those specific weeks are likely not available since released 6 months out and you have unrestricted points to spend in a short period of time before each use week. They can be spent in Hyatt or Interval or a combination.

2) If your parents DID reserve both home weeks, you have the right to rent them (allowed for a full home week only). You have multiple options within TUG (and outside) but the last minute rental board is limited to $805 a week but they would liekly go FAST if you posted them. There are other boards on TUG to ask for more, and other options outside of TUG. Price will matter.

And IF you cancel those reservations, your points will be restricted for Hyatt reservations within 2 months out since cancelled within 2 months out. As Scoop said, you cannot move them (without an exception) to Extended Exchange which is parked interval points with an extended life. But before each week occurs, you can reserve anything in Interval with those points that you can see which is likely up to a year out. If you add EPlus, you can make a reservation to park the points and change the reservation. It will buy you a lot of time.

You need to move fast for the points associated with the March 2024 ownerships. Keep us posted and feel free to ask more questions.

And both are desireable units which have value and can be sold if desired.

For now, the critical focus is trying to un-wind the fixed week in March. They're not interested in trying to rent it out. The March week was reserved when the booking window opened (I think a year out or so ago).

I think the main thing was trying to understand the cancellation options.

If they cancel now, it sounds similar to the Vistana rules for canceling within 60 days of the reservation? -- so they would get a limited-use / time restricted point option to reserve that particular property with a 60 day booking window? They've never used II and I don't imagine they would begin to now, either. I think the main thing is trying to extract some value and stay within the Hyatt ecosystem.

What's the deadline for converting to Hyatt points? Both were developer purchases (acquired at least 1-2 decades ago), so they should not have any issues with resale-only restrictions.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
If they cancel now, it sounds similar to the Vistana rules for canceling within 60 days of the reservation? -- so they would get a limited-use / time restricted point option to reserve that particular property with a 60 day booking window? They've never used II and I don't imagine they would begin to now, either. I think the main thing is trying to extract some value and stay within the Hyatt ecosystem.

They can't use II -- not unless Marriott makes an exception for them. The points they'll get are so limited that they're essentially useless. They'll have 16 resorts to pick from, but they can only search availability one-month out. The trips have to be last minute, which means airfare is going to be through the roof.

I've already answered "what's the deadline" -- every deadline they have for the year has already expired. Their best bet (if allowed) is rental. If they're using their home week, they're allowed to rent it out. Otherwise, there is almost nothing they can do. The system was set up to discourage last-minute cancellations.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
They can't use II -- not unless Marriott makes an exception for them. The points they'll get are so limited that they're essentially useless. They'll have 16 resorts to pick from, but they can only search availability one-month out. The trips have to be last minute, which means airfare is going to be through the roof.

I've already answered "what's the deadline" -- every deadline they have for the year has already expired. Their best bet (if allowed) is rental. If they're using their home week, they're allowed to rent it out. Otherwise, there is almost nothing they can do. The system was set up to discourage last-minute cancellations.
I thought they would come back as RCUP, which can be booked 60 days out not 30?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I thought they would come back as RCUP, which can be booked 60 days out not 30?

They can RCUP use them in the Hyatt world for a few weeks. I believe there are restrictions about how far out they can book, though. (I've never done this so I don't know.)

Trying to fix a reservation problem with a few weeks left on the clock is going to be impossible/difficult/frustrating -- probably. OP might catch a reservations operator on a good day and get better choices.

It was designed this way so that all the people who canceled or procrastinated were in the same boat -- basically trading HRC time with each other at the last minute.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I assumed both weeks are in March - so hopefully the other week will be easier. And I agree - WOH conversion is not good, but it is something i guess if you don't want to rent.

This is assuming you cancel, which means points are returned. Here are the rules of points life and usage. You will have the insult of paying a cancellation fee (51 bucks online, more if you call in).

If you can log into their account, you will be able to see points and all of these buckets - and the reservations. Click account then account information then expand under contracts (each week is a contract).

You have to track the life of points associate with a home week. The normal life of points is from 1 year before your home week to your home week - CUP points. This is important because those points could be used for a reservation BEFORE OR AFTER you associated home week. Points can also live restricted starting on the home week date for 6 months. Restricted points can only make Hyatt reservations 2 months out.

If you make your home reservation (which I have never done) the points should show up under HRPP.

If you cancel a reservation inside of 60 days, your points become restricted - PERIOD. If cancelled before their home week, they are RCUP - if after, they are LCUP. Both are restricted.

If you cancel a reservation outside of 60 days, your points will come back unrestricted if cancelled before your home week and go back to CUP. If after the home week they are LCUP.

The only real difference between RCUP and LCUP is RCUP points are available to use in Interval since before your home week.

You can move CUP points 4 months before their expiration to EEE (extended exchange for Interval). They cannot be moved back and are only good for Interval - but the good news is they are good for 2 years AFTER the home week (so really 2 to possible 3 years).

The rules are actually simple, but the details can be confusing. Looking up the points online should make sense.