• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Second Molokai Trip of 2019

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!! We bought our retirement property in Idaho and several years later we had the opportunity to move to eastern Washington ( 2 hours away)... It's the best thing we have ever done. I hope it works out for you too

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me know if you ever move, I may be able to keep you busy with the plane. :)

Maybe someday. We love the islands, but a job transfer is not in the cards, and retirement is still a few years away. The other thing is that grandchildren are making it hard to move away. We will be spending a few months at a time there, though. We can theoretically stay 10 weeks/yr at our Maui timeshare.

Go ahead and get your pilot’s license, though. It is a blast! It really isn’t all that hard to fly a small plane.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We’ll it seems like it took forever but sounds like it’s a done deal. I had a salary in my head that I thought was reasonable and if they hit that I would know I was going. If it was coming in lower I would have to think more. They ended out right at my number so we are happy. She even said they would let me come back a week or two to close things out here in Wisconsin.

From here, I have no idea what I am going to do about the moving part. :)

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We’ll it seems like it took forever but sounds like it’s a done deal. I had a salary in my head that I thought was reasonable and if they hit that I would know I was going. If it was coming in lower I would have to think more. They ended out right at my number so we are happy. She even said they would let me come back a week or two to close things out here in Wisconsin.

WooHoo!!! We knew it would happen. Exciting. :cheer:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, Jeff!
As to the moving bit. Assuming they'll spring for much of it, you just contact a moving company, box up what goes and it goes into a sea container that loads in a ship in (probably) Seattle/Tacoma or L.A. A week or so later it's delivered to the new digs in Hawaii. You may want to look long and hard at what goes and what stays - especially if the move is on your dime. Often it's cheaper to sell there and buy new at the new place. I spent many years moving people, and if it's a corporate paid move, I've moved people's firewood!

You'll find out the details.

Wishing you a great life and a new adventure! When you started looking on Molokai, did you ever consider this?

BTW, my DW is from Sun Prairie and relocated to Idaho.

Jim

taffy19

Reaction score

Wonderful news! Congratulations and celebrate but you will be very busy after that. :cool::banana::banana::banana::cool: How exciting! :)

LJT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!! So pleased for you that they hit the number you were after! What an exciting adventure you have ahead. Keep us posted on how the move goes! We are all living vicariously through you!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Congratulations, Jeff!
As to the moving bit. Assuming they'll spring for much of it, you just contact a moving company, box up what goes and it goes into a sea container that loads in a ship in (probably) Seattle/Tacoma or L.A. A week or so later it's delivered to the new digs in Hawaii. You may want to look long and hard at what goes and what stays - especially if the move is on your dime. Often it's cheaper to sell there and buy new at the new place. I spent many years moving people, and if it's a corporate paid move, I've moved people's firewood!

You'll find out the details.

Wishing you a great life and a new adventure! When you started looking on Molokai, did you ever consider this?

BTW, my DW is from Sun Prairie and relocated to Idaho.

Jim

We’re not too far from Sun Prairie, nice area.

No, I really never thought this would happen it just goes to show anything can happen.

As far as moving. We do have to pay for it. We never thought about it too much because our condo is furnished so we weren’t going to bring much when we retired.

We need to get rid of a lot of stuff and we may have an auction. We have to get two cars there. One to Oahu and the other to Molokai.

It’s going to be a hectic next few months. :)

Reactions: Xan

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If anyone knows Oahu fairly well. Let me know of a good neighborhood that is close to Umi Street in Honolulu. I want a short commute to work, 10 to 15 minutes tops.

I have started looking already and will probably contact a realtor for help but I would love any information anyone may have.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If anyone knows Oahu fairly well. Let me know of a good neighborhood that is close to Umi Street in Honolulu. I want a short commute to work, 10 to 15 minutes tops.

I have started looking already and will probably contact a realtor for help but I would love any information anyone may have.
Your wife is staying in your current home, correct? So are you really going to want to move much "stuff"? Are you thinking of looking for a furnished, or unfurnished? I don't know Oahu well, hope someone who does will chime in.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your wife is staying in your current home, correct? So are you really going to want to move much "stuff"? Are you thinking of looking for a furnished, or unfurnished? I don't know Oahu well, hope someone who does will chime in.

We don’t plan on taking much. My wife will stay back until the house sells.

Our first step is to talk to a realtor. We picked one and will be contacting her tomorrow.

I would like furnished but I don’t know if I will get that lucky from what I’m seeing.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We don’t plan on taking much. My wife will stay back until the house sells.

Our first step is to talk to a realtor. We picked one and will be contacting her tomorrow.

I would like furnished but I don’t know if I will get that lucky from what I’m seeing.
I may have missed a step or two. I know your wife is closer to retirement than you are, is she planning on retiring now, or at least when the house sells?

Good luck with everything.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score

I grew up in Hawaii and I visit annually, but not necessarily Oahu -- so take my knowledge as dated and with a grain of salt.

Umi St. is in Kalihi near the jail. Growing up, we would not be in Kalihi ever at night -- it was not (and still is not) a great area. If that is OK with you, there are many older homes and developments in Kalihi and you should have no problem finding something within a 15 min commute. You can get closer to town (nearer to Punchbowl), but that would likely be more expensive. I'd look to Moanalua first, and then Salt Lake area second -- probably still will be pricey, but it is cheaper as you get further from town. My aunty used to live in a single family home on Ala Mahamoe up in Moanalua Gardens area, and that was super nice -- but I'd also suspect is expensive. You may have more luck in Salt Lake (near Aloha Stadium) where I think there are more condos/multi-family housing if memory serves me right. But since housing is already expensive, the general rule of thumb is it gets less expensive as you go leeward/west from Honolulu; of course there are exceptions.

I can refer you to a realtor there as well if you are interested (no pressure) He is a family friend.

Good luck to you and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

-ryan

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I may have missed a step or two. I know your wife is closer to retirement than you are, is she planning on retiring now, or at least when the house sells?

Good luck with everything.

Yes, she is going to retire after the house sells. It’s about a year and a half early but we’ll survive.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yes, she is going to retire after the house sells. It’s about a year and a half early but we’ll survive.
How excited you both must be then!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I grew up in Hawaii and I visit annually, but not necessarily Oahu -- so take my knowledge as dated and with a grain of salt.

Umi St. is in Kalihi near the jail. Growing up, we would not be in Kalihi ever at night -- it was not (and still is not) a great area. If that is OK with you, there are many older homes and developments in Kalihi and you should have no problem finding something within a 15 min commute. You can get closer to town (nearer to Punchbowl), but that would likely be more expensive. I'd look to Moanalua first, and then Salt Lake area second -- probably still will be pricey, but it is cheaper as you get further from town. My aunty used to live in a single family home on Ala Mahamoe up in Moanalua Gardens area, and that was super nice -- but I'd also suspect is expensive. You may have more luck in Salt Lake (near Aloha Stadium) where I think there are more condos/multi-family housing if memory serves me right. But since housing is already expensive, the general rule of thumb is it gets less expensive as you go leeward/west from Honolulu; of course there are exceptions.

I can refer you to a realtor there as well if you are interested (no pressure) He is a family friend.

Good luck to you and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

-ryan

Thank You for your information. PM me the realtor if you can. I will be renting and not buying.

It may help when I get there to see the commutes. I don’t like being stuck in traffic twice a day. Hence my small town living for the last 39 years. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How excited you both must be then!

I think the reality of the next couple months is settling in for my wife. :)

I told her after it’s all done she’ll be retired. :thumbup:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the reality of the next couple months is settling in for my wife. :)

I told her after it’s all done she’ll be retired. :thumbup:
Any luck at all would help. It would be good to have the move made and the Reedsburg house sold so she can retire and join you Or hold down the fort in Molokai before another of those delightful Wisconsin Winters settles in. Fingers crossed and our thoughts are with you.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Congratulations, Jeff! I know it's a big step, but what a great step!!

Oahu is my old home, as you know. I haven't lived there in a long time, but I've visited any number of times.

I also know a Real Estate broker there, he's very successful, and has been in the industry there a long time. I've known him and his family for about 35 years. Let me know if you want to talk to him.

I agree with Ryan, Kalihi is a neighborhood in an industrial part of town, and not great for residential life, especially for haoles. Maybe not so bad for adults, but kids would likely have trouble in that part of town. The areas uphill (mauka) from there are a bit better, from up around School Street and up to Wyllie Street are nicer areas, nearer to Liliha Street and Nuuanu Avenue. Not sure how many apartments/condos you'd find in that part of town. On the Diamond Head side of the Pali Highway from there, heading on to the Punchbowl area, you'll find many apartments and condos. It's a very residential area. You can easily drive surface streets from there to Umi Street, and probably within 15 minutes. H-1 Freeway in either direction in that part of town will be slow during rush hour. Lots of traffic with nowhere to go. Stay off the freeway at rush hour if you can.

Can't wait to meet up with you both for dinner or drinks next Summer - we'll be on Oahu several days in August 2020.

Dave

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jeff, not to be too picky here, but this thread is getting a little cumbersome. (over 350 posts) Now that you are making the move and the Molokai adventure is sort of on it's own, You might consider breaking the Oahu move off to it's own thread.

You will be my advance party. In all my trips to/through Hawaii, I've never been to Oahu except to change planes at the airport.

Jim

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Dave!

Yes, give me the information in the realtor. I definitely want a commute that doesn’t include the H-1 Freeway and I would like to keep it to 15 minutes.

My wife will only be there part time so I am only looking for a one bedroom or even a studio. We want to try to keep it cheap so around $1,500 or under. I did see some around School Street.

I’ll make sure we’re there in August 2020, we have to make that happen!!:thumbup:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff, not to be too picky here, but this thread is getting a little cumbersome. (over 350 posts) Now that you are making the move and the Molokai adventure is sort of on it's own, You might consider breaking the Oahu move off to it's own thread.

You will be my advance party. In all my trips to/through Hawaii, I've never been to Oahu except to change planes at the airport.

Jim

I was thinking the same thing. I’ll start a new one so I can post on how much a pain this move will be. :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks Dave!

Yes, give me the information in the realtor. I definitely want a commute that doesn’t include the H-1 Freeway and I would like to keep it to 15 minutes.

My wife will only be there part time so I am only looking for a one bedroom or even a studio. We want to try to keep it cheap so around $1,500 or under. I did see some around School Street.

I’ll make sure we’re there in August 2020, we have to make that happen!!:thumbup:

No worries. I've contacted him, waiting on his reply. I'll PM you his contact info.

I agree with Jim - maybe start a new thread and ask the Mods to close this one to further posts.

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Sorry for the hijack...

Wonderful news! Congratulations and celebrate but you will be very busy after that. :cool::banana::banana::banana::cool: How exciting! :)

Taffy, would you PM me, please. I'm blocked and need to run something by you. ;-)

thx..