• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Spinnaker, Palaceview South Branson Deedback

falcon

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Discovery Beach Resort

Resort on Cocoa Beach
Lot's of odd, conflicting information I've been reading. Pre-covid they had hired a new Manager to deal with delinquencies. I recently read they were at 7-15%. This indicates a downward spiral (having already been through a resort bankruptcy, that's a huge red flag). Years back, they were not doing deedbacks. Last year, they were but were charging $8,000. Now, they are but are asking $1000. So, if a large percentage of owners opt to go this route, how much will existing owner's fees go up to pay for the running of the resort? Has anyone done the deedback? And is it possible this is a last ditch effort to squeeze owners before a bankruptcy? I have no faith in Spinnaker. They are the worst of my 4 timeshares. We have no Board of Directors. They call all the shots

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Presumably if they are taking $1000 for the deed back it pays the recording and legal cost for the deed back and at least part of the remaining amount would pay for 6-12 months of MF's while they are reselling the unit. If that is the case it shouldn't put additional pressure on the HOA. If the management company is keeping all of the remaining fee as their profit as manager, and saddling the HOA with the MF's for the unsold units then yes it will continue to add to the increasing MF's and higher default death spiral.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do they have an active sales arm? If so, the lower price could just mean they are successful at (re-)selling weeks that are deeded back, and they want the inventory.

falcon

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Discovery Beach Resort

Resort on Cocoa Beach
They are still selling although I believe the focus is on the vacation club rather than traditional timeshare. I have heard that they charge $1500 to transfer to a non family member (plus other fees) so I have not even attempted to sell.

falcon

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Discovery Beach Resort

Resort on Cocoa Beach
Presumably if they are taking $1000 for the deed back it pays the recording and legal cost for the deed back and at least part of the remaining amount would pay for 6-12 months of MF's while they are reselling the unit. If that is the case it shouldn't put additional pressure on the HOA. If the management company is keeping all of the remaining fee as their profit as manager, and saddling the HOA with the MF's for the unsold units then yes it will continue to add to the increasing MF's and higher default death spiral.
I have no faith that the management company is acting in good faith. My other 3 timeshares have a Board of Directors, and while they don't have a lot of power, they can pushback against illegitimate expenses, etc.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the focus is on the vacation club
That's backed by timeshare weeks---the inventory has to come from somewhere.

This is exactly what e.g. Wyndham is doing as well; recycling foreclosed or surrendered weeks into the trust points product as a cheap source of inventory.

If you don't believe the management company is acting in good faith, sell it/give it back.

falcon

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Discovery Beach Resort

Resort on Cocoa Beach
I'm feeling a bit better that the deedback offer is legit, but I'd love to hear from someone who successfully did this recently. You can never get anyone on the phone....ever! I'm just so done with this organization.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Have you tried to give it away on TUG?

falcon

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Discovery Beach Resort

Resort on Cocoa Beach
Have you tried to give it away on TUG?
I haven't because they apparently want $1500 up front if you transfer to anyone but family so I may as well just pay the $500