• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sunset Harbor to vote on terminating Hyatt management contract

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, "inadvertent." There most certainly was a release of information that wasn't supposed to arbitrarily released. It might be available to owners but it has to be requested. That board member just went on a rampage and sent out whatever they wanted. It's going to cause some trouble, for certain. Appreciate all your help in trying to figure this crap out!

It sure does give a lot of leeway for "inadvertent" releases of protected information though, doesn't it? <eyeroll>

I still question whether one member of the BOD is entitled to take on a responsibility of "the association," which is what happened in this case of a Director publicly releasing a list of owners' names and contact information. I'm guessing that if this happened at a Marriott resort with governing docs similar to those at my resorts, then Marriott as the Manager to which most association rights/obligations are delegated, would not think this Director acted appropriately. Regardless, reading this makes me glad that I respond with "NO" every year that items asking if I'm in favor of contact information being made publicly available are voted on during the Annual Meeting.

socaltimeshare

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's true that the info is in public records and anyone who wants to compile such a list is free to tediously comb through the public records

You actually may not even need to take such a tedious approach. I'm not a Sunset owner, but for my HRC timeshare, the Bylaws state that any owner can request a membership list that includes current names and addresses. See screenshot. It does also say the in the last line that the list "shall not be....furnished to anyone else". You should see what your bylaws say re: this, if anything.

Attachments

• requesting membership list.jpg
    requesting membership list.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 31

INCHWORM

Reaction score
My goodness people...I've just revisited this site after weeks of happily staying away from it only to see that Kai is still all riled up about some sort of list of names and addresses he has. I, for one, never received such a list that he says was distributed by the BOD member. I received a communication from the board member (whom I had previously personally given my information to) but not some "list" as Kai refers to.
Get a grip Kai...your information Is out there everywhere...why do you think timeshare owners incessantly receive those annoying solicitation calls from timeshare resellers and others (scammers). ...because they can easily access your information and contact phones and addresses. (Not because you somehow received a "list" and are suggesting it's from a BOD member (even if you are correct on your source???)

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
My goodness people...I've just revisited this site after weeks of happily staying away from it only to see that Kai is still all riled up about some sort of list of names and addresses he has. I, for one, never received such a list that he says was distributed by the BOD member. I received a communication from the board member (whom I had previously personally given my information to) but not some "list" as Kai refers to.
Get a grip Kai...your information Is out there everywhere...why do you think timeshare owners incessantly receive those annoying solicitation calls from timeshare resellers and others (scammers). ...because they can easily access your information and contact phones and addresses. (Not because you somehow received a "list" and are suggesting it's from a BOD member (even if you are correct on your source???)
As I said before, put up or shut up. IF YOU ARE A HSH OWNER (which I doubt), give me your name and I will tell you the week/unit number, the owners of your unit, home address, email, phone etc. The list includes 2000 HSH owners. Why are you protecting this HSH BOD member? She made a serious error by mass mailing the list.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
WTH are you talking about? @Kal (not Kai, by the way) hasn't posted anything on this topic since July 19th. So, how do you make a statement that you've returned after "happily staying away from it only to see that Kai [Sic] is still all riled up...?" Kal hasn't made a single comment on this topic for more than 3 weeks. In fact, the thread just kind of died after the vote. You really need to back off on your attacks of this member. You're making a lot of accusations with absolutely NOTHING to back them up with.

But since you decided to come back and stir up crap, let me assure you that the board member you're so fiercly protecting, did, in fact, send out a list of 2,000 owners at SH with protected information. Just because YOU didn't get it, doesn't mean the list wasn't sent out. It was - I have spoken to several people who are in receipt of it. Yes, some of the information was allowed to be sent out, but the extent of the information on that list was out of bounds as to what is allowed by Florida statute. While most of the information is available to owners, there is a process they have to follow to obtain it - it means they have to personally go review the records and pull the information THEMSELVES. No one is allowed to do it for them. And owners have every right to state they do not want their information shared. Without going to review the records myself, there is no way of knowing how many owners have indicated they don't want their information shared. Did the board member who sent the list out, look through 2,000 owner records to make that determination? I doubt it.

I'm not sure what the intent of your return to this topic was. Trying to figure out if anyone was going to pursue holding that board member accountable? I'll answer that for you - yes, there are people that are going to pursue holding that board member accountable for their actions. It extends well beyond the mailing of a list information on 2,000 owners. The board member outright lied to a number of people about how they cast their vote in regards to wanting to oust MWV/Hyatt. (I have a copy of the email they sent to people). The board member advocated STRONGLY for a departure from Hyatt/Marriott for years, voted as a board member for the action to pursue it, and then subsequently for some unknown reason, did an about-face, and set about torpedoing the efforts of the board of directors. They don't get that luxury. As a board member, once a majority vote is taken by a board of directors on an issue, all members of the board are required to stand together behind that vote. The board member in question didn't do that - they simply set out to literally torpedo the very action they had wanted for years. What made them do that is unknown - at this time. Most certainly, research and/or a lawful deposition of that board member will get to the bottom of it.

Do not attempt in any fashion to get in my face about this situation. You'll be fighting a losing battle. I'm not going to sit idly by while this board member tries to bully their personal agenda into place. After a lot of review on this current board of directors, I feel confident that the remaining board members have the best interests of owners and the resort at heart. I questioned that fiercly for awhile but after some research I realize the issue at hand lies almost solely at the feet of the subject board member. Their lack of ethics is astounding and they should resign. They won't but hopefully owners will see the light and make sure they're not voted back on the board during this next election. That would be a critical mistake by owners. So, if your intent was to come here to find out if things had died down....no they haven't. There are people genuinely concerned about what happened with all of this and they're going to make a concentrated effort to ensure it doesn't happen again. Hopefully this clarifies things for you.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Sunset Harbor but I am an HRC owner thanks in large part to really helpful information that @Kal generously provides in public posts, on his Windkal website (a huge boon for HRC owners and wannabe owners), and even by DM. The company shills need to just pack it up and leave, there's not a lot more to see here.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I feel confident that the remaining board members have the best interests of owners and the resort at heart.

Sadly, SH owners fell victim to FUD -- Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

That vote was their last, best hope for wresting control of their property back from MVC. And what MVC has learned is just how easy it is to throw a vote by paying off a few people. They likely spent thousands on this -- and will reap rewards for decades.

Corruption works. That's why they do it.

And there will be no consequences -- this is Monroe County, after all. They're the most breathtakingly-corrupt county in the entire country. Nothing happens there without palms being greased. I once worked for someone who had a cash-box labled "bribes" on his desk. Every time someone from the county came calling, he paid them off.

Darrow

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt coconut plantation
Wondering if the Coconut Plantation will be the next MVW property to try and exit the management contract. Have any of you heard what is going on there?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Wondering if the Coconut Plantation will be the next MVW property to try and exit the management contract. Have any of you heard what is going on there?
If MVW didn't want them to leave, they could just build another building there and put it into HPP and control the vote. They may already control the vote and I suspect they have enough control based on the vacant land they own. Though I am not really sure how that works.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a very, very slim chance of that being successful.

The entirety of building 4 is part of the portfolio system. There were probably a fair number of leftovers that were unsold that were added to the trust as well as RoFR and foreclosures. I would think at least 30% of the inventory at coconut plantation is part of portfolio making any effort very difficult.

Also, I really enjoy coconut plantation and would consider owning high demand weeks there, but there is a much more pronounced off-season there than the keys (where sunset harbor’s attempt failed). I would think there are far more people that own that trade within the system, making any move unattractive to them.

Darrow

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt coconut plantation
If MVW didn't want them to leave, they could just build another building there and put it into HPP and control the vote. They may already control the vote and I suspect they have enough control based on the vacant land they own. Though I am not really sure how that works.
That’s just the thing. MVW is selling all the vacant land. There will be no more buildings. MVW is stopping the $2,000,000 shared subsidy and the existing owners will have to pick up that loss. $400 to $500 additional maintenance fees additional every year just because of that! By the way rumor has it MVW is getting $30,000,000 for the land!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
That’s just the thing. MVW is selling all the vacant land. There will be no more buildings. MVW is stopping the $2,000,000 shared subsidy and the existing owners will have to pick up that loss. $400 to $500 additional maintenance fees additional every year just because of that! By the way rumor has it MVW is getting $30,000,000 for the land!
Do you have a letter or communication from the board at Coconut Plantation which mentions this that you are willing to share?