• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WLR Platinum+ 2 Bd Resale Price Paid

CaliJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
SVV
WKORV
WKORV-OF
WLR
Got a few of these from folks who wanted to offload for free - $2K last few years. Looking for some more weeks for the family but seeing higher prices on TUG Marketplace/Redweek.

If you’ve sold/bought one recently, what prices have you paid recently for WLR Plat + 2 Bd contracts? What about Plat + 1 Bd contracts?

🙌🏼🙏🏻👍🏼 for the intel.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I was offered $16K for our 1BR Gold, however that was Marriott in exchange for another $10K+ of my hard earned cash. In light of the fact we would end up with less SO for more MFs as par of this amazing deal I declined. :D

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am curious about when you acquired a 2-bedroom platinum unit for $2,000. This seems significantly lower than prices I've seen in recent years; typically the average over the last 2-3 years has been around $7,000-$8,000. I don't foresee the Lagunamar resale market decreasing significantly from this point onward. The resort is highly sought after, and its popularity is on the rise, especially among Marriott owners who are discovering its appeal.

Despite maintenance fee increases, Lagunamar "deeds" remain reasonably priced compared to alternatives, especially during high season. While one can find inexpensive II getaways for August or September, but reserving WLR during winter can be notably more expensive using SO or Abound points. Platinum weeks are an great option for those wanting to spend a week or two there every winter, and many folks spend there 6 weeks or more. It's worth noting that the resort does not have ROFR, so Marriott's slowing acquisition of inventory is not a factor.

skibummer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV x5 (Scottsdale)
WLR x3 (Cancun)
SVV-Bella x2 (Orlando)
WMH x2 (Palm Springs)
WNORVK (Maui)
Chairman’s Club
I got a 2 bed Plat+ annual for $6,500 last year off of Redweek after some back and forth and used LT transfers to close. I have watched prices for the last 4+ years, and I have never seen an annual 2 bed Plat+ go for less than $4,000. $2,000 seems very low and I have never seen prices at that level in recent years. I own 3 of these at WLR now. I then requalified all three with a developer purchase ($10k for the first and $5k for each additional) and they generate great Abound points for those times I don't want to use or rent them. I purchased a developer deeded Plat week at Westin Kierland, which is a great rental.

CaliJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
SVV
WKORV
WKORV-OF
WLR
I have a 5 contracts that I got for free (1) or under $2K (4) for WLR and got into contract for another 2Bd/Plt + for family after this post for $2K. I have seen some folks sell on Redweek for $2-3K after they got tired of waiting to find a buyer but haven’t purchased any there myself. Hopefully, I haven’t jinxed myself since this has become our family’s favorite resort and we want to buy more weeks.

I am contemplating requalifying the ones I own. Did you buy Adventuras studio EoY to requalify? Have a contact I can work with (please DM).

CaliJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
SVV
WKORV
WKORV-OF
WLR
I am curious about when you acquired a 2-bedroom platinum unit for $2,000. This seems significantly lower than prices I've seen in recent years; typically the average over the last 2-3 years has been around $7,000-$8,000. I don't foresee the Lagunamar resale market decreasing significantly from this point onward. The resort is highly sought after, and its popularity is on the rise, especially among Marriott owners who are discovering its appeal.

Despite maintenance fee increases, Lagunamar "deeds" remain reasonably priced compared to alternatives, especially during high season. While one can find inexpensive II getaways for August or September, but reserving WLR during winter can be notably more expensive using SO or Abound points. Platinum weeks are an great option for those wanting to spend a week or two there every winter, and many folks spend there 6 weeks or more. It's worth noting that the resort does not have ROFR, so Marriott's slowing acquisition of inventory is not a factor.
3 contracts in 2021
2 last year
1 this week

Probably demand from Marriott vacation owners is jacking up the price. I have also noticed (sorry if this rubs anyone the wrong way) that many owners think their weeks worth much more than what the market will bear. Only place where I see stable prices are at WKORV/WKORN.

Also AFAIK you can’t book more than 14 consecutive days at WLR. How do people manage to stay there for 6+ weeks?

Last edited:

skibummer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV x5 (Scottsdale)
WLR x3 (Cancun)
SVV-Bella x2 (Orlando)
WMH x2 (Palm Springs)
WNORVK (Maui)
Chairman’s Club
I purchased my WLR resale week on Redweek and closed and once it was in my name I contacted WKV directly and told them what I wanted to do. I would only consider deeded weeks as a developer purchase (less shenanigans and lower MFs vs a Sheraton or Westin Flex product) and they had one available that someone had traded in recently on another package purchase (not always available as an option). I didn't want to buy a flex product so I was willing to wait until they had what I wanted (they always have the same requalification deal of $10k for first VOI and subsequent VOIs are $5k in new purchase money).

If you stay at a Marriott hotel within a week of purchase they will give you a linkage credit of $1,500 towards the purchase and we applied the full price paid for an Encore return promo package of around $1,500 all applied to the purchase price as well. You can stay over 14 days, but it takes multiple reservations so you have to check out and then check back in.

Last edited:

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Also AFAIK you can’t book more than 14 consecutive days at WLR. How do people manage to stay there for 6+ weeks?

They string multiple reservations together. You'd have to call every week to make a reservation, but it's certainly doable.

If you're using SOs at 8 months out, you can reserve up to 21 days. Subject to availability, of course.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have also noticed (sorry if this rubs anyone the wrong way) that many owners think their weeks worth much more than what the market will bear.

I believe what you bought is significantly below the market value, good for you. While it's true that some sellers may have unrealistic expectations, try listing a 2BR EY platinum Lagunamar week on Facebook for $2,000 and see how quickly it gets sold. My guess is that it would be gone in less than 5 minutes and I don't think that's the market value at all.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This is only a limitation of a single reservation in Westin Aventuras. If you own multiple VIOs, you can reserve those multiple weeks back to back to back. You can also make multiple Westin Aventuras reservations.

ChicagoDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe x2
Hyatt Highlands Inn
Renaissance Aruba
Westin Lagunamar
After tracking prices at WLR for about six months, I purchased a 1-bedroom platinum plus week last year for $3,750 on eBay. I agree with several other posters that finding a 2-bedroom EY platinum week for $2,000 is virtually impossible in today’s market unless someone severely underprices the unit. Even 2-bedroom EY gold weeks are typically selling for $4k to $6k.

CaliJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
SVV
WKORV
WKORV-OF
WLR
After tracking prices at WLR for about six months, I purchased a 1-bedroom platinum plus week last year for $3,750 on eBay. I agree with several other posters that finding a 2-bedroom EY platinum week for $2,000 is virtually impossible in today’s market unless someone severely underprices the unit. Even 2-bedroom EY gold weeks are typically selling for $4k to $6k.
Personally, this is really great for the value of the weeks I own and happy. Also did some quick research on Redweek to see how the market has changed.

Lowest 2Bd Gld listed at $2300 (pending)
Lowest 2 Bd Plt are higher as some folks observed

Somehow I can’t see myself putting down a ton of cash for WLR since it’s voluntary on resale without SOs. Probably that’s why I’m willing to wait until a good deal comes along. Hoping there will be more 🙃

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, this is really great for the value of the weeks I own and happy. Also did some quick research on Redweek to see how the market has changed.

Lowest 2Bd Gld listed at $2300 (pending)
Lowest 2 Bd Plt are higher as some folks observed

Somehow I can’t see myself putting down a ton of cash for WLR since it’s voluntary on resale without SOs. Probably that’s why I’m willing to wait until a good deal comes along. Hoping there will be more 🙃

The real value in WLR platinum weeks are in requalifying them with developer purchase as they convert to 4950 Abound points and are a great deal on a MF per point basis.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The real value in WLR platinum weeks are in requalifying them with developer purchase as they convert to 4950 Abound points and are a great deal on a MF per point basis.
That makes sense. I think as long as Vistana continues to allow the $10k/$5k requalifying they will continue to hold value. If they pull the plug on that and only allow the MVC way of enrolling (tens of thousands of dollars), then the prices may plummet.

CaliJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
SVV
WKORV
WKORV-OF
WLR

This is very helpful. I am thinking about requalifying 2 Plt weeks. Had a few questions:

1- Based on what I have read in the forums, it’s new money spent; $10K for the first week and $ 5K for every subsequent week? This is inclusive of money spent on new VoIs purchased or in addition to it? Believe it’s inclusive but just want to be absolutely sure.
2- Ideally I’d like to get a mandatory EOY VoI with a low MF to requalify. What’s the best place to requalify? I’ve seen people mention Adventuras, WKV, SDO (?). Welcome feedback
3- Will this get me status within Abound (Chairman etc?) Is this worth it?
4- What else should I ask for when requalifying to get the most bang for the buck
5- Has anyone requalifies within the last 18-24 months and used Abound? How’s the availability? Would you recommend requalifying for Abound points?

Thanks @dioxide45 and TUG community for sharing your knowledge and helping all of us have richer lives/vacations.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This is very helpful. I am thinking about requalifying 2 Plt weeks. Had a few questions:

1- Based on what I have read in the forums, it’s new money spent; $10K for the first week and $ 5K for every subsequent week? This is inclusive of money spent on new VoIs purchased or in addition to it? Believe it’s inclusive but just want to be absolutely sure.

You must buy $10K/$5K in new timeshare. So if you buy $10K in Westin Aventuras HomeOptions, you can enroll a VOI. So to answer what I think you are asking is, it is inclusive.

2- Ideally I’d like to get a mandatory EOY VoI with a low MF to requalify. What’s the best place to requalify? I’ve seen people mention Adventuras, WKV, SDO (?). Welcome feedback

In reality, you are better to buy a voluntary VOI instead of mandatory. This is because both will be treated the same after requalifying but the voluntary VOI will be much cheaper to purchase. Which one to buy? That isn't as easy to answer. A true Platinum SDO voluntary resale is best, but they aren't easy to find. Second best might just be Westin Lagunamar (WLR).

Aventuras may still be the best option to buy to requalify unqualified VOIs.

3- Will this get me status within Abound (Chairman etc?) Is this worth it?

Once requalified, the points allocated from the now enrolled VOIs will count toward Abound Owner Benefit Levels.

4- What else should I ask for when requalifying to get the most bang for the buck

I actually made a video about this for MVC points, but it is also mainly true for Vistana. To get the biggest bang for the buck, you probably want to walk in on an Encore Package. This probably means going to a presentation ahead of time, turning down all offers and buying the Encore Package. They will credit what you pay for the package toward the purchase. Also have a Marriott.com reservation booked prior to or after your stay when you plan to purchase. This should qualify you for what they call a Linkage Credit of $1500 toward the new purchase. Now, in the end your total purchase money paid must be more than $10K$/$5K. Meaning after discounts. If you really stiff arm them you may be able to get them to waive closing costs.

5- Has anyone requalifies within the last 18-24 months and used Abound? How’s the availability? Would you recommend requalifying for Abound points?

This really depends on how you plan to use the ownership. If you are just renting out the weeks, then it doesn't make sense to requalify. If you want VSN from a previously voluntary ownership, then requalify. If you want Abound from a previously ineligible ownership, then requalify.

Thanks @dioxide45 and TUG community for sharing your knowledge and helping all of us have richer lives/vacations.
You're welcome.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I just requalified a couple of Lagunamar studios and have been using Abound. When you requalify VSN it comes with Abound. I believe the Platinum Plus Lagunamar studios are more efficient on an MF per SO or Abound point than the 2 BR, though you have to buy more to requalify as many points so it's a trade off. By my calculation they come in around $0.33 per Abound point.

I've got some decent reservations through Abound and would recommend trying it out if you are requalifying anyway. Weeks in Costa Rica, the Ritz Carlton in St Thomas, Frenchmen's Cove, St Kitts, and a 2 BR back at WSJ at 12 months that I couldn't get through VSN due to timing and not owning a 2 BR there.

NorcalDisFan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the requalification process. Should go to the owned resort and attend a presentation to requalify? Or to any resort? Seems like it's not possible via online or phone call, right?

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the requalification process. Should go to the owned resort and attend a presentation to requalify? Or to any resort? Seems like it's not possible via online or phone call, right?
I did my requal by purchasing Aventuras via email (and subsequent paper mailing of documents for notarized signature) with a salesman in Cabo.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score

The resale price has shown little fluctuation post Abound, so I suspect that that the majority of buyers are primarily interested in staying at Lagunamar.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just requalified a couple of Lagunamar studios and have been using Abound. When you requalify VSN it comes with Abound. I believe the Platinum Plus Lagunamar studios are more efficient on an MF per SO or Abound point than the 2 BR, though you have to buy more to requalify as many points so it's a trade off. By my calculation they come in around $0.33 per Abound point.

Not only do you have to invest more upfront per Abound point by buying more Aventuras points, but the additional Aventuras points purchased also come with higher maintenance fees compared to WLR. To determine the actual maintenance fee per Abound point, I believe you need to consider both factors.