• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holiday Inn Club HICV HIVC

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

[I put all configurations of this group name in the title so it can be searched. I have seen it called holiday in club vacations or vacation club. Hence HICV, HIVC.]

We are currently staying at the Holiday Inn South Beach resort in Myrtle Beach. Great resort, and we can see using this many years. We just did the owner's update so I thought I would post some details that will probably apply to everyone who owns within this HICV group.

We originally got units at the Desert Club in Las Vegas resale. When they began affiliation with HIVC HICV we joined because the cost was very reasonable to get into a system. Only $104+$100, not thousands. This includes the RCI fee, and covered all of our units. If you are a member, then you may be familiar with the benefits (deposit points into the Priority club for hotels within the Intercontinental Hotels Group, etc).

The issue that they pressed on us was to upgrade from our current Preferred into their Premier group by buying more to get us over 500,000 points:

Premier Membership
You enjoy the benefits of Preferred membership, plus these additional benefits:

Early check-in/late check-out (up to 3 hours, when available)
Two complimentary 3-day/2-night stay at any Club Member Resort of your choice when you advance to this level
Two free reservation upgrades within 60 days of arrival
Parking Pass with your membership level
Exclusive access to the Club Lounge for expedited check-in
Extended Club Partner booking window of up to 7 days for select partners

Of course, they don't really listen to OUR needs when we say the program is working for us, we are travelling less, we have more points than we can use, etc.

The closer came over and she stressed that when HICV converts a resort, they are really not disturbing the underlying owners. Prior owners keep what they have. All they can do is to buy into the HICV directly, and transfer all of their units to the HICV. She kept stressing that being a member of the club has all of these advantages and that what we have is not 'really' holiday inn because we did not buy through holiday inn? She was making a distinction between buying in through them, and converting/joining. Something she said caused me to ask:

"So are you saying that holiday inn might pull this benefit and kick me out of the club? Didn't you just say we were Preferred members? Can't we just pay the fee annually like all other owners and continue the benefits, assuming we like it?"

She stressed that we are still underlying deeded owners with Desert Club. This is true, and in my mind a benefit in case we don't like the HIVC. But we like it so far.

In any event you tuggers know we DID NOT buy. Here is what they offered for us to get up to 500,000 points:

$17,800!!!! to buy more points. :eek: They had a print out of our ownership which showed the underlying prices paid for the units we bought resale. He wouldn't give it to me, but I saw prices like $18,000; $9000; and $12,000.
Of course, this is a "special" deal for us owners, not offered to the public. Give me a break. We have owned timeshare since 1980, and already get everything and more from our ownership, thanks to tuggers here who have taught me a lot. Their offer was based, at least in part, on the fact that they thought we had paid a lot, so what is a little extra seventeen thousand dollars to become premier!!!:rofl:

Now - here is the new information we learned:

HICV is in the process of affiliating with Massanutten Resort and Kings Creek Plantation in Williamsburg. There are many more they are working on and would not tell us but will double their inventory within the next few years. Anyone who owns at these resorts, keep an eye for their presence and offers. I hope that they offer the $104+$100 deal that they offered Desert Club owners. They prefer to buy existing groups and they will be offering conversion for the current owners.

They are focusing on the west coast, so you owners out there keep on the lookout.

I am a happy camper with the HICV and it works for us. We don't need more and have finally found a group with attractive hotel benefits to use and save our points. We are happy, and I believe that HICV is a good group. Just buy resale if you can. The strategy that might work is, once you find out where they are going next, buy a resale so that you are on owner, then you might be in time for their special conversion. Heck, you can buy several at the precise resorts you like, stay there, trade through RCI, and be thousands $$ ahead of the pack.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any questions. I posted this in All other Systems (our HICV really should have its own section IMHO) so that folks can find this discussion regardless of where they own.

take care,

Last edited:

roadtriper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Sandy, Good Call! with the units I own at the Desert Club I'm over the 500K threshold and haven't really realized any extra Bennies other than the extra window to book. twice I've stayed the Desert Club since becoming a "Premier" or whatever level 500K+ gets you. they have NO owners lounge, there wasn't any prefered check in. I didn't get any special Parking Pass, I wasn't addressed or acknowleged as a "Premier" member... and when asked about a late check out on both trips was told due to high demand there were NO Late Check-outs.
at which time I mentioned my "Status" and said that it was suppose to be a Bennie. still got the same response. SO IT's Mainly sales Hype to get you to buy more. don't know about the "Upgrades" ??? havent tried that yet maybe this fall when were there.
Like You I'm Happy with the Points Scheme, and it's working out well for my travel style. but only at the Intro rate we Got when they came to the Desert Club.
RT

Last edited:
Reaction score
Most resorts - including Wyndham - do the same thing. They offer you HUGE benefits to be a VIP, but over the last few years, several of those benefits have been quietly (the resort, not us) removed. Mathematically, the benefits don't equal $18k or more.

In other words, enjoy what you have, avoid the Sales Weasels, etc. As a side note, my wife's parents own Week 20 in East Village, converted to points.

TS

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most resorts - including Wyndham - do the same thing. They offer you HUGE benefits to be a VIP, but over the last few years, several of those benefits have been quietly (the resort, not us) removed. Mathematically, the benefits don't equal $18k or more.

In other words, enjoy what you have, avoid the Sales Weasels, etc. As a side note, my wife's parents own Week 20 in East Village, converted to points.

TS

Did your wife's parents convert during any sort of special deal? Or did they pay full freight? I am curious because if HICV does what they did at the Desert Club, this might be a good opportunity for other tuggers to get into the point system on the cheap ($204 versus thousands) if they already own at a particular resort where the conversions are offered.

In fact, I wish I could find out which part they are intending to acquire Massanutten. It is a huge resort and there are many different sections. I expect that they will focus on only one section rather than the entire resort. Many units at Massanutten can be picked up for pennies on the dollar, and this could be a cheap way into HICV. This might also be true for Kings Creek Plantation in Williamsburg.

Just a thought.

Reaction score
They bought their week from the resort (Orange Lake CC) about 15 years ago, converted last year because they needed flexibility. They've also upgraded in between. They started out with a Studio, then upgraded to a Week 20 at East Village, now Points.

TS

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, they paid around $3000 to convert to points.

TS

OK, that is the going rate many places. The deal HICV is/was offering at Desert club in vegas was good, which is why we took the plunge. I am hoping they do the same thing at other resorts where they are acquiring units. That way, it might be possible for tuggers and other interested vacationers to get in on the cheap.

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
Awsome Sandy! FWIW I am intrested in buying more. Priority club is working well for us and renting also makes sence in this context. FWIW I was even considering buying a few prime weeks and converting them through a one time mini purchase. Great info. :clap:
To bad you had to go through that BS to get it. I was in vegas in may considering the idea of doing the tour to get some more info. However they lost me when they wanted to charge my credit card for a no show.

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ps I am inch from premier. For whatever reason i have lockoff week 52 that they consider low season? If it was red week i would be premier. By the sound of RT i am not missing much!

mlefferts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sandy- after reading this post and researching Massanutten, I would guess they are converting all of it. Yes, it's a large resort, but it's not nearly as large as Orange Lake in Orlando. I LOVE Orange Lake. There is so much to do on campus that you really don't have to leave unless you want to. It would make sense for HIVC/HICV to pick up all of Massanutten and run it similarly.

My biggest caveat with HIVC/HICV in Orange Lake is that the points don't transfer to the new owner for resale, so it's only the deeded weeks. They put everything (including RCI points) through the club membership which is non-transferrable.

There seems to be a loophole where you can add an owner by quit claim deed and thus add them to the membership, and then remove the previous owner again by quit claim deed and thus remove them from the membership, but it's a roundabout way that could give both parties a serious headache if something were to go wrong. This has prevented me from purchasing there as I want the flexibility and benefits of the HIVC and RCI with out the retail price tag.

I really wanted a week and HICV and RCI at OLCC, so my research into the subject was extensive. I favor Holiday Inn Express when I have to travel as we are in the process of acquiring our first TS, we have gold level priority club and we don't travel that much. I have been spoiled by visiting OLCC resort as my first TS stay. Perhaps I'll investigate getting Massanutten (as it's close enough for me to drive to) and has lots of amenities and activities in hopes of getting the upgrade offer you received at Desert Club and an opportunity to purchase resale now. Thanks for the heads-up!

Meghan

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
My searching on the net hasn't yielded any hint of a future OL acquisition, can we trust a TS sales person spin to make a sale? The samesales person that started off bt lying to sandy about being a 2nd class owner!:annoyed:

mlefferts

TUG Member
Reaction score
My searching on the net hasn't yielded any hint of a future OL acquisition, can we trust a TS sales person spin to make a sale? The samesales person that started off bt lying to sandy about being a 2nd class owner!:annoyed:

I wouldn't even know where to look. I've seen some people refer to them as sales weasels :hysterical:, so taken with a grain of salt, but I can hope! Looks like a nice resort and would be a nice addition to HICV/HIVC, similar to Orange Lake but offering winter sports, too.

mlefferts

TUG Member
Reaction score

Second class in the sales peoples eyes only!

Reaction score
The only way I heard that points can be (easily) transferred to another person is by family. For instance, my in-laws could transfer their Converted-Fixed-Week-20 to us, and we would get points. But, if they wanted to sell it, it would revert back to Week 20 ($3000 wasted as no week at OLCC is worth that much).

TS

jimkin

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
South Beach resale week - I got points

We purchased a resale week at Holiday Inn Vacation Club South Beach in Myrtle Beach and were quite surprised (disappointed) when we received points instead of the deeded week we thought we had purchased. However it has worked out quite well. The goal was primarily to trade and we see much more availability with RCI points than with our other RCI weeks account. I haven't been that impressed with the two stays at Holiday Inn vacation Club properties but it has traded very well.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
We purchased a resale week at Holiday Inn Vacation Club South Beach in Myrtle Beach and were quite surprised (disappointed) when we received points instead of the deeded week we thought we had purchased. However it has worked out quite well. The goal was primarily to trade and we see much more availability with RCI points than with our other RCI weeks account. I haven't been that impressed with the two stays at Holiday Inn vacation Club properties but it has traded very well.

Hi JimKim,

I am interested in more information about your post. Can you share where you bought the HICV at Myrtle Beach? Did you get HICV points, or RCI points? If RCI points, then you SHOULD be able to just let the RCI points membership lapse and it will convert back to the underlying week. After all, you do own some sort of timeshare week, it just may be already converted to RCI points. Every point membership must be backed by an underlying week somewhere. At least this is what I learned and believe to be true. I could be wrong.

OTOH, if you were able to buy and actually get HICV points, I am really interested in where you did this. I have some friends who would like to get into the HICV system and we have been told you cannot get the HIVC club without buying through the sharks :doh: oh! I meant developers.

My limited experience with HICV has been good so far. We can transfer the points into the Priority club which gets hotels within the group. Some of them are very nice, and this works out well for a short weekend stay in places where there is no timeshare, or no timeshare availability.

Can you share the details, PM if you prefer.

Last edited:

mlefferts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi JimKim,

I am interested in more information about your post. Can you share where you bought the HICV at Myrtle Beach? Did you get HICV points, or RCI points? If RCI points, then you SHOULD be able to just let the RCI points membership lapse and it will convert back to the underlying week. After all, you do own some sort of timeshare week, it just may be already converted to RCI points. Every point membership must be backed by an underlying week somewhere. At least this is what I learned and believe to be true. I could be wrong.

OTOH, if you were able to buy and actually get HICV points, I am really interested in where you did this. I have some friends who would like to get into the HICV system and we have been told you cannot get the HIVC club without buying through the sharks :doh: oh! I meant developers.

My limited experience with HICV has been good so far. We can transfer the points into the Priority club which gets hotels within the group. Some of them are very nice, and this works out well for a short weekend stay in places where there is no timeshare, or no timeshare availability.

Ditto! I'd love to get my hands on HIVC points resale!

And jimkin already said where:
It's this place: Holiday Inn Club Vacations South Beach Resort (RCI #6727)

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

I see which resort he bought (I also own there and visited in June as a new HICV owner) but I wanted to know where he bought the points timeshare. Who was the reseller? What price? RCI points or HICV points, Etc.

I purchased my HICV points as an owner at the Desert Club in vegas. I first visited/traded to the Myrtle Beach property earlier this month. Great resort. I posted the details of the "owner update" earlier in this thread.

mlefferts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

I see which resort he bought (I also own there and visited in June as a new HICV owner) but I wanted to know where he bought the points timeshare. Who was the reseller? What price? RCI points or HICV points, Etc.

I purchased my HICV points as an owner at the Desert Club in vegas. I first visited/traded to the Myrtle Beach property earlier this month. Great resort. I posted the details of the "owner update" earlier in this thread.

Please excuse my blonde moment! :doh: Yes that makes more sense :hi:

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am more interested in when he bought? Was it before hivc bought the property or during the conversion or afterwords?

jimkin

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi JimKim,

We bought a 2 bedroom lockout beach season and ended up with 208,000 HICV points per year. I think it was two years ago, it was after the conversion for sure. myresortnetwork.com is where we found it. I have pretty good luck there.

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
Intresting turn of events for sure! Goes againts everything I have read on HIVC. Maybe there is a reason why they prefer keeping people on points? or a mistake?
But if it works out for you, and your pleased with thier points system that Rocks!:clap:

mlefferts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Intresting turn of events for sure! Goes againts everything I have read on HIVC. Maybe there is a reason why they prefer keeping people on points? or a mistake?
But if it works out for you, and your pleased with thier points system that Rocks!:clap:
I have seen others, not OLCC, within HICV listed with points, although very infrequently and once I see them I never remember where and can't find them again. It only seems to be 3 of the resorts, and maybe it's because they were RCI points to begin with? Maybe that's the key, finding a week that was already RCI points and added HICV membership after it was taken over.

We bought a 2 bedroom lockout beach season and ended up with 208,000 HICV points per year. I think it was two years ago, it was after the conversion for sure. myresortnetwork.com is where we found it. I have pretty good luck there.[/QUOTE
cool- I'll have to look.