• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New 2018 Marriott/SPG credit cards - Deadlines AMEX 8/25/18 and VISA 12/31/18

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They want you to upgrade to the new card that will guaranty a cat 5 night.
What new card? I just got one last month. It gives you 35000 points for what it says is a CAT5 room. The new requirement for CAT5 rooms will be 40000 points at the beginning of next year.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What new card? I just got one last month. It gives you 35000 points for what it says is a CAT5 room. The new requirement for CAT5 rooms will be 40000 points at the beginning of next year.
Actually a cat 5 is 35,000 points for Standard time.

Screen-Shot-2018-04-11-at-5.17.30-PM-e1523835761139.png

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

Note the title of this discussion - New Chase.... It sounds as if you have the newest card. Look at the first post, and the ones after it. That's the new card. It's now a month or so old, but it's still relatively new. Since you get 35,000 points towards a hotel, it is not a cat5, nor does it promise to be a cat5, it says capped. That's the Premier Plus Card.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/earn-points/credit-card-rewards.mi

The previous Marriott Rewards Card gave you a free cat5, you do not have that card.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
A couple of days ago I toyed with the idea of applying for the card myself (DH got one earlier) and having DH refer me for the 20K pt referral bonus. I went in on his account, and found he/we could refer people for bonus.
Today, I try it again and got this message about the ending of the referral bonus:

Thank you for visiting Chase.
The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card Refer-A-Friend promotion has concluded.

So maybe the 100K bonus offer will be ending soon too?
I decided against applying for the card anyway even tho' the bonus is still offered.

Addendum: The Points Guy has an update about the bonus offer ending on July 12.

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Note the title of this discussion - New Chase.... It sounds as if you have the newest card. Look at the first post, and the ones after it. That's the new card. It's now a month or so old, but it's still relatively new. Since you get 35,000 points towards a hotel, it is not a cat5, nor does it promise to be a cat5, it says capped. That's the Premier Plus Card.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/earn-points/credit-card-rewards.mi

The previous Marriott Rewards Card gave you a free cat5, you do not have that card.

You are correct. I guess it was implied that like the previous card you would get enough points to reserve a CAT 5 room with this new card. I was not thinking for enough in advance (in this case only 7 months) to realize that by changing to points vs a CAT 5 certificate, Marriott could simply change the points value of a CAT 5 room to 40k points, making this annual free night worth a little bit less.

Again here are the new points requirements for rooms starting in 2019.

https://members.marriott.com/redeem/

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Awe. I may have been interpreting it incorrectly. I read it as only 2 choices in 2019, peak or off-peak, with no standard. If standard remains then I stand corrected and feel much better about it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Awe. I may have been interpreting it incorrectly. I read it as only 2 choices in 2019, peak or off-peak, with no standard. If standard remains then I stand corrected and feel much better about it.
Makes sense, I wondered the same at one point that perhaps they would only have Peak and Off Peak come 2019 That isn't my understanding, though I could be wrong.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Just an update to an earlier post. We removed DW a couple of weeks ago as an authorized user on our 'old' Marriott Rewards credit card in anticipation of her applying for her own card. Our plan was to allow a 30 day cooling off period before she applies (per advice received from a Chase CSR we spoke to by phone when we dropped her from our current 'old' card). Also, DW received a mailer from Marriott Rewards (based on her MR account) soliciting her to apply for the 'new' Marriott Rewards CC for the 100k MRP sign-up bonus. However, the mailer had a deadline - "Apply by July 1, 2018" using a web address shown on the mailer. It hasn't been 30 days yet, but we were concerned about the "Apply by July 1, 2018" deadline on the mailer. So, we called Chase again regarding this offer expiration date.

Chase again confirmed that they have not been given any deadline/expiration date for the 100k MRP sign-up bonus. She did say that if you want to sign-up for the new card, you should do it through www.chase.com. Find the Marriott card (in the list of 26 cards you can apply for at Chase), and use the link shown there. She said that it is possible that the address shown on the mailer from Marriott will expire today and that any applications submitted through that link may not get the 100k MRP bonus. She wasn't sure.

She did state that as long as you apply through www.chase.com, there is no deadline/expiration date (yet) and Chase should have 30 days prior notice whenever Marriott does notify them of a date to no longer offer a 100k MRP sign-up bonus.

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I upgraded my card for 20k points. The referal bonus is no longer available but it might come back. Have not decided if I should get a card for my husband.

Also I was told by the chase rep that the certificate ia given at the end of the first yr. Seems strange to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that I got my final 1 night needed to get me to lifetime gold -> lifetime platinum at year end, on June 30th, I decided to refer my husband for a new 100K bonus card so that we can concentrate our spending on his card. I clicked on the referral link and received the same message that the promo was over. Oh well. He applied and was approved. I also had previously received the upgrade now and get a 20K bonus but that link to the promo is also no longer valid. When the final night gets credited around July 10th, I will go ahead and terminate my card and wait for 3 months or when we have put 5K on my husband's card, and see if the 100K promo is still available and I will apply then. If not, I will sit out. I have the Amex SPG so I really do not need another Marriott Visa that does essentially the same thing.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Question. The new 35,000 points. Do you have to use for one night up to that point amount or could you get more than one night. Say 1 20,000 night and one 15,000 night.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
In the past, Chase e-certificates have always been for one night and could not be split into 2 nights at lower category hotels.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of days ago I toyed with the idea of applying for the card myself (DH got one earlier) and having DH refer me for the 20K pt referral bonus. I went in on his account, and found he/we could refer people for bonus.
Today, I try it again and got this message about the ending of the referral bonus:

Thank you for visiting Chase.
The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card Refer-A-Friend promotion has concluded.

Guess I waited too long. But, the way I understand it, I can still refer DW for a Rewards account, right? So, I get 2,000 MR bonus points per stay, and, she gets 2,000 MR bonus points per stay. I can't see any limitations to refer a friend for MR, is there for a spouse?

Would a timeshare stay count as a stay for this bonus, anyone know?

Additionally, even though she is an authorized user of "my" old MR Visa, she could apply for the premier plus card and qualify for that bonus?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Question. The new 35,000 points. Do you have to use for one night up to that point amount or could you get more than one night. Say 1 20,000 night and one 15,000 night.

It's a (one) free night.

Free Night Award every anniversary
As a Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Cardmember, you'll enjoy a Free Night Award every year after your account anniversary, valid for a one night hotel stay at a property with a redemption level up to 35,000 points.*Same page link to Offer Details

Free Night Awards start at 7,500 points.*

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
It's a (one) free night.

Free Night Award every anniversary
As a Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Cardmember, you'll enjoy a Free Night Award every year after your account anniversary, valid for a one night hotel stay at a property with a redemption level up to 35,000 points.*Same page link to Offer Details

Free Night Awards start at 7,500 points.*

Do you HAVE to use it at a hotel that costs 35000 points per night? Or can you use it at a higher category hotel and pay the difference (either in points or cash)?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you HAVE to use it at a hotel that costs 35000 points per night? Or can you use it at a higher category hotel and pay the difference (either in points or cash)?
You can stay at a hotel UP TO 35000 per night, no more than that since you cannot pay the difference.

dneveu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor, Marriott Shadow Ridge, Marriott Grand Chateau
If you have a cat 1-5 certificate from the old card what value will it translate into after August?

After August can it book a cat 5 hotel that will cost 35k points (ie “standard” tier amount in effect till they announce peak & off peak?)

Or will the value be something less than 35k points?

Thank you

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a cat 1-5 certificate from the old card what value will it translate into after August?

After August can it book a cat 5 hotel that will cost 35k points (ie “standard” tier amount in effect till they announce peak & off peak?)

Or will the value be something less than 35k points?

Thank you
After August, the old certificate can be redeemed at a hotel that requires 25K points. The old Chase card continues to provide a free 25K night each year. At some point, I expect that card to become obsolete.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cancelled my Chase Marriott card about a month ago - I had my husband remove my name as an authorized user from his last week. I'm waiting until the deadline to apply for the new one, just in case.

Email I received from Chase on 6/30 …..

Spend $5,000 in the first 3 months from account opening* with the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card to earn bonus points.

$95 annual fee† *Offer Det

Appears July 12th is the last day for the offer.....

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Question: For those of you who applied for and received this credit card, did the accompanying documentation say anything about receiving 100,000 MRPs after charging $5000 in the first 3 months? I just got my new credit card yesterday and it doesn't mention it at all. I was wondering about the June 27 deadline to apply, because when I first applied on June 19, I was rejected due to a technicality. I received the rejection letter on June 25. I called Chase on the 26th and asked them to resubmit my application. I received the new card yesterday (July 5th), but nothing in the letter or docs mentions the 100,000 point promo. I'll be real ticked off if during all of this, the deadline passed before my application actually got resubmitted.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Question: For those of you who applied for and received this credit card, did the accompanying documentation say anything about receiving 100,000 MRPs after charging $5000 in the first 3 months? I just got my new credit card yesterday and it doesn't mention it at all. I was wondering about the June 27 deadline to apply, because when I first applied on June 19, I was rejected due to a technicality. I received the rejection letter on June 25. I called Chase on the 26th and asked them to resubmit my application. I received the new card yesterday (July 5th), but nothing in the letter or docs mentions the 100,000 point promo. I'll be real ticked off if during all of this, the deadline passed before my application actually got resubmitted.

My card paperwork did not mention anything about the 100,000 points either. I called Chase to inquire about this. I was told that it was indeed stated on my account and that I do qualify for it. We shall see.

TravlinDuo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Vista (x2)
We're still discussing the pros/cons on upgrading to the new card. If we're correctly reading the benefits for the new card.... and having read this entire thread, I'm not seeing anyone mention the loss of trip cancellation insurance with the new card - and this is our primary reason right now for not moving forward with the upgrade. We're reading that the new card includes baggage delay insurance, lost luggage reimbursement, and trip delay reimbursement. Was loss of trip cancellation insurance considered by anyone in making the decision to switch to the new card?... or have we missed reading somewhere in the terms/benefits that trip cancellation insurance IS included with the new card? When husband called Chase rep, they confirmed trip cancellation insurance was not a benefit with the new card.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
DH received an email this week about his card. He has not upgraded to the new one:

Your Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card benefits are changing.
Your account ending in XXXX

Dear XXXX
Thank you for your loyalty as a Cardmember. We're letting you know that your Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card will have updated benefits.

Your card will have updated benefits
• Beginning August 1, 2018, the Free Night Award you receive every year after account anniversary, will be valid for a one-night hotel stay at a property with a redemption level up to 25,000 points. This replaces the category 1-5 certificate you previously earned each account anniversary.1
• Coming in 2019, you will receive 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year instead of the 15 Elite Night Credits you received every year after your account anniversary.2

Also, beginning January 1, 2019, if you have more than one Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, or Ritz-Carlton Rewards credit card, you will only receive a total of one 15 Elite Night Credits benefit per calendar year, which will be credited to one of your Marriott Loyalty Program accounts.2
Please visit chase.com/marriott for the updated terms and conditions.

We hope you enjoy all the updated benefits of your Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card. If you have questions, please call us anytime at the number on the back of your Card.