• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just saw exit company commercial

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
There are more and more commercials from these exit companies and it does make many think timeshares are no good as a whole. These exit companies are way worse then the developers as most just pay lots and get nothing in return.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I feel that people here on TUG do not know the problems we face at an older timeshare.

For the resorts that were around and for those who owned timeshares when TUG started, the topics, issues, and concerns are different than for those resorts and owners that have started more recently.

It's like there's two different forums here, and sometimes they clash.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
another example of how far ahead of the curve these folks are in engaging owners...check out this recent facebook post and not only the number of "likes"...but the number of comments...and the number of shares.

upload_2019-6-25_21-40-25.png

also note they have blocked the TUG account from commenting/posting on any of their ads...we used to reply to owners of the systems that had deedback programs with the information to use those programs...all those posts got deleted of course.

it was frustrating to find ads like these FILLED with wyndham/diamond/westgate/holiday inn club/worldmark/etc owners who had no idea those systems offered exit programs.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
another example of how far ahead of the curve these folks are in engaging owners...check out this recent facebook post and not only the number of "likes"...but the number of comments...and the number of shares.

View attachment 12597

also note they have blocked the TUG account from commenting/posting on any of their ads...we used to reply to owners of the systems that had deedback programs with the information to use those programs...all those posts got deleted of course.

it was frustrating to find ads like these FILLED with wyndham/diamond/westgate/holiday inn club/worldmark/etc owners who had no idea those systems offered exit programs.
Simply sad they can get away with this.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
. . . it was frustrating to find ads like these FILLED with wyndham/diamond/westgate/holiday inn club/worldmark/etc owners who had no idea those systems offered exit programs.

So, do you feel TUG is a place to talk (more) about exit programs, and how to encourage more of them?

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
So, do you feel TUG is a place to talk (more) about exit programs, and how to encourage more of them?

I guess so. It’s sort of pick your poison, or between a rock and a hard place. It’s just picking the more desirable of two bad options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I take exception to the comment about golf courses. One reason we own at Orange Lake is for the Golf Courses.To each his own, but We live nearby and can have day use of the facility.
We also love River Island and go over quite often.
Always lots of golfers in the winter months.
Silentg

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

exit programs are discussed here all the time, you can find dozens of posts about them in multiple forums here on the site. we even have advice articles that discuss them specifically.

no idea why anyone without a specific agenda would think any differently. Although if I had to guess, you likely meant 3rd party exit COMPANIES that all charge staggeringly high upfront fees for their "services", but these are also discussed very frequently...though not supported here in any way shape or form given their common practices that are as bad if not worse than the ones used by developers to lure folks into ownership in the first place.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I take exception to the comment about golf courses. One reason we own at Orange Lake is for the Golf Courses.To each his own, but We live nearby and can have day use of the facility.
Silentg

I’m not knocking the courses. That’s what OL originally built around
Back then had they mentioned there were going to be pools and more pools and river island and kids and families everywhere then the person wanting it for golf maybe would have second guessed buying??

I’m just saying. Having seen it happen many times, that one day I would imagine the revenue from 10 more buildings would outway that of the courses
They still have a lot of land so you’re probably fine
But golf as with most all sports are dying. Either due to the injuries that come from them. The fact that most families no longer go to a baseball, football, hockey game etc. due to its costs therefore the kids develop no interest. Or just because we have moved to a tech society

Recently my wife and I took our 3 kids to a hockey game. By the time the night was over I think i spent close to $2000

Baseball is also getting ridiculous, not that long ago we could go for about a $1-150 day

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Sports are encouraged in my family, my kids were more musical. DD is still in music business. Son not but he is in travel business so both are ok.
We used to play sports when younger now we golf but not in extreme heat .
Soccer seems to be what young kids are playing these days.
Orange Lake is the nicest resort for family, it’s close to Disney but you can go there and have a fun day at the resort. The Units are well kept up. It’s so much better than some of the other timeshares around there, although we haven’t been to Margarettaville yet.
Silentg

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Silentg

The two weeks we still own are for year-round amenities rights, one for golf and one for beach.

Did someone say something about golf courses?

Oh, and I have golfed at OLCC, but more at Remiongton, especially when it was All You Can Hit, Golf and Eat.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I feel that people here on TUG do not know the problems we face at an older timeshare . . .

History shows us that you cannot rely on the expert advice on the Internet to find perfect solutions.

It's curious that those who followed the how-to-buy, where-to-buy, when-to-buy advice here on TUG 20 years ago are now wondering how to deal with the issues that advice created. You can only do as good as the best you can do at any time, but the advice given from some here today is that people who are encountering problems with their timeshares are just not as smart as the people giving the advice now are, m/l. There's not many real answers being provided, and the attempts at that are being criticized.

It would have been hard to do something 20 years ago that did not exist 20 years ago, and it makes me wonder what the smart people in 20 years will be saying.

Maybe if I owned some crap weeks I would like this idea, but I purchased good weeks that have preserved their value, while buying them for a big discount from developer prices. I don't see any issue with selling my weeks when the time comes.
- - - - - -
There is already a FAIR strategy in place -----if you want out, sell it for what you can.
There are many examples of choices we make in life that demand ongoing responsibilities, and buying a timeshare is one of them.
- - - - - -
Guess I chose wisely. No luck, just basic research..... homework.
- - - - - -
Another way that makes exiting easy is to buy right.
- - - - - -
I also have had involuntary thoughts. If I expressed mine out loud, I'd get my face slapped (or worse).
- - - - - -
. . . Owners who are nimble survive to live and play another day.
- - - - - -
It would be nice to see an exit strategy for this thread......it has far outlived its usefulness (if any).
I DID learn, however...perhaps new to many,
that old, run-down and mismanaged smaller resorts experiencing extreme financial difficulties are making owners unhappy,
and they would like to find a quick way out with no further responsibilities.
- - - - - -
My answer was to sell, period, THAT is the only "exit strategy" that is doable and right.
- - - - - -
It's not "their" responsibility to figure out how to handle you getting out of a contract that you signed and you used. It is YOUR responsibility. If YOU don't have a plan, then don't buy it.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
History shows us that you cannot rely on the expert advice on the Internet to find perfect solutions.

It's curious that those who followed the how-to-buy, where-to-buy, when-to-buy advice here on TUG 20 years ago are now wondering how to deal with the issues that advice created. You can only do as good as the best you can do at any time, but the advice given from some here today is that people who are encountering problems with their timeshares are just not as smart as the people giving the advice now are, m/l. There's not many real answers being provided, and the attempts at that are being criticized.

It would have been hard to do something 20 years ago that did not exist 20 years ago, and it makes me wonder what the smart people in 20 years will be saying.

You need to understand that there is no "perfect solution" to any problem. No solution should be rejected simply because some part of the problem would still remain after it were tried. Often, the choice is made between one realistic achievable possibility and another unrealistic solution that could in some way perhaps be better.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
as has been stated in the past...an exit strategy exists for 100% of owners. what folks are desperately seeking is a way to default on a contract without any sort of penalty (financial or credit/otherwise). that is a completely different ask.

certainly a fascinating strategy to somehow try to blame TUG and its members for this though.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
as has been stated in the past...an exit strategy exists for 100% of owners. what folks are desperately seeking is a way to default on a contract without any sort of penalty (financial or credit/otherwise). that is a completely different ask.

certainly a fascinating strategy to somehow try to blame TUG and its members for this though.
Yes and while we are at it, at what point do we start the exit strategy. Is it twenty years? Ten? The fellow that posts eleven days after he signed the contract and owes lots of money, do we need to come up with an exit strategy for him too?

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Brian:

Two mischaracterizations (is that a word).

1. I do not support "getting out of" a timeshare "contract" without "penalty."

My words:

I am not opposed to a refundable termination fee, the amount of the termination fee being fair, and the amount of refund based on the Association's ability to replace that terminating owner's annual fee.

I'm not saying that 10 years of future annual fee payments is a fair amount to make this idea productive, but that can be compromised and worked out. Whatever it takes to take the angst out of timeshare ownership, resort-by-resort, is a good thing.
- - - - -
The deedback program they finally approved requires one year's maintenance fee and a $150 transfer fee. I countered with "I'll just Quit Claim it to you like I have Quit Claimed our other two weeks to new owners," and they said No. Then I countered with, I'll pay if you'll refund the extra fee if you sell or rent it for enough to pay it, and they said No.

So I said, what the Hey, we've talked this out for all these years, and I've already managed to transfer 6 weeks without any fees, so I'll just let the rental income we would receive in 2020 to offset that fee go, and we will finally be down to the two weeks that actually fit our needs now, 30 years after we started timesharing.

(That, really is the type of Exit Strategy I would support . . . a long-time, loyal owner working with a somewhat-open-minded resort to achieve a mutually satisfactory outcome, although some legacy resorts have made mutually-acceptable termination programs standard (and there has not been a mass Exodus).

There is nothing about anything I favor that would allow deadbeats to walk away from their obligations.

2. I am not blaming TUG for anything. I'm just saying those who followed the best advice 20 years ago now have problems that were not anticipated 20 years ago. So, what will 20 years from now be like for those who follow the best advice of today?

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's curious that those who followed the how-to-buy, where-to-buy, when-to-buy advice here on TUG 20 years ago are now wondering how to deal with the issues that advice created. You can only do as good as the best you can do at any time...

What got me through my 15 years or so TimeSharing without losing a lot of money was being nimble. It was akin to Day Trading stocks vs following a Buy to Hold strategy...

George

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Bogey:

That's "past tense". Are you not timesharing any more?

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I’m not sure I follow the refund theory
What you’re asking is. If the company sells the TS before the end of the date that the dues were covered then you want money back?

So what you are asking for is a refund if it sells. In that scenario are you also offering to pay all the fees if it doesn’t? Pay ( any incurred office fees? )and continue to do so until it does sell?

Sorta like selling a car to someone and saying. If you profit any when you sell it then I want that amount sent back to me

I don’t see how the resort owes you , I , or anyone else an exit plan
And now that they do, you don’t like the fees and terms that they’ve set forth

I’m sure one day I may feel the same but I still wouldn’t expect anyone to come to my rescue

Those comments sound more like what the millennials are expecting. And that’s for someone to coddle them throughout life
It costs money to run a business.
Are they making too much? Who gets to determine what “ too much “ is?

We all have the opportunity to go out and develop our own TS units and make those same margins don’t we ?

I owned a business where I had 20 - 30 crews working for me. All of them were in the same field I was and I started out as a laborer and worked my way up

One day we bought a 280 Sundancer boat and one of the guys said “ looks like I bought you a new boat “
He was let go the very minute
Reason was he bought me nothing. I took the risks and put the funds up to start this business
He had the exact same qualifications as I but no business sense

I’ve always said. 10% of the people run 90% of the world

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

Well stated, Brian. I'm really baffled by the constant belittling of those think when someone wants out of their timeshare, it is up to them to find someone to sell to / take over their ownership, vs. being owed some sort of program by the HOA (who are the other owners) to dispose of it for them. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Yes, most will lose money on the sale, and the sale price may even be negative. That's life. Sometimes I make good investments, sometimes not, but I own my decisions and don't look for someone else to bail me out. I agree with @Gypsy65 when they stated that maybe some people just need to be coddled through life. Who knows?

This may all sound harsh, and maybe I'm just being cranky on a Friday afternoon, but at this point I really don't care. I'm getting tired of being badgered by the same comments on multiple threads in multiple forums. It might be time to look into the "ignore" feature of this forum. It would be nice if this site got back to being the Timeshare Users Forum.

Kurt

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I agree @PigsDad

We all make good and not so good decisions
We win and lose. At the end of the day we just need to win more than we lose

Who wins at everything?

No one

Enjoy life.

I know for us and what we own it has been great for the most part and I don’t keep count of the costs
If I did that for this. Then I have to for that steak dinner we went out and had. That new car we bought etc

Ridiculous

Who wants to live like that?

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
One day we bought a 280 Sundancer boat and one of the guys said “ looks like I bought you a new boat “
He was let go the very minute
Reason was he bought me nothing. I took the risks and put the funds up to start this business
He had the exact same qualifications as I but no business sense

I’ve always said. 10% of the people run 90% of the world

Did you pay him every dollar you collected for his labor? Or did you add a bit?

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Thanks.

I've found out what I need to know.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bottom line in almost everything one buys, do your research, understand if what you are buying will work for you and if you can afford it, if you don’t you only have yourself to blame. Most things we buy have a return policy some a few days, others longer. There are rescinding periods for the timeshares return.

As far as older Associations and resorts having problems, as an owner you can get involved and volunteer, complaining doesn’t fix anything. Letting everyone out of their obligations just hurts the timeshares further.​

Timeshares have been a wonderful part of my life and that is with me buying my first timeshare from a developer.

When I am done with my timeshares, I can always give them away. Yes it can take some time, but doable if you are persistant with your ads.

I understand that everyone can’t feel as good about timesharing as me but as I can’t change your mind, you will not change mine.

I look at Tug as a place I can share my successes and bumps. Today the advice is good, tomorrow yes it can be different but that is with any issue.

Last edited: