• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Movers stole my Snow shoes (Oops, found them!)

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
RANT-

I have really had it now. We are going up to Vermont for the holiday week. My poles are in the garage where they should be and the Tubbs snowshoes are no where to be found.

Either the movers were totally incompetent and somehow lost them- though I do not see how- or they stole them. I say one of them stole them.

I even called the buyers of our home in the off chance that they were left behind, but I know they were not because I was the last one to leave our former home and checked every room and the garage- where they were put out for the movers to take. Our buyers said they are not there.

I spent 2 hours going through everything and they are not here. Really- this is a very small house and everything is organized and most things are in the garage in boxes and in the den in boxes. Hubby looked everywhere. I looked everywhere. They are missing. The snowshoes were not in a box when we moved, as were not the poles.

I was going to use this company for our out of state move but that is out now. I dread that move for sure now.

I called the moving company to tell them but let's face it- they don't care. They said they always empty each truck after a move. Really? So what? Well two of the guys brought their own vehicles during the move! I posted on their Facebook page. Out $150. Now I have to rent them when we are away.

Sigh....

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mary Ann, I wasn't there. But I spent many years moving people's goods. Look at your inventory. See if they are listed. See if you signed for them. I can say with absolute certainty, that your movers do not jeopardize their job for a pair of used $150 snowshoes. If you signed for them, keep looking. Or find another culprit with more to gain and less to lose.I

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mary Ann, I wasn't there. But I spent many years moving people's goods. Look at your inventory. See if they are listed. See if you signed for them. I can say with absolute certainty, that your movers do not jeopardize their job for a pair of used $150 snowshoes. If you signed for them, keep looking. Or find another culprit with more to gain and less to lose.I

Jim

No inventory, Jim.

I had put them out with the poles in the garage. I know exactly where they were for the movers. Everything was very organized for the movers to take- right out in the front of the garage. This was just a local move of 25 miles. They had a big truck, a guy's personal car and a van.

This house we are in is so small there is no where they can be. Hubby looked tonight- nothing. We did our own packing and most things are still in their sealed boxes. The snowshoes were not packed in a box. They were with the poles and other items that were not in a box.

Now we are wondering what else could be missing.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if the move was down the block of around the world. An inventory is for your protection. Without it, you'll never satisfy a claim. What if it had been a cherished $100,000 Steinway that had rolled out of the truck and smashed on the driveway? Without an inventory, it didn't exist. Or it was so much firewood.

I'm sorry for your loss, but this is just a lesson for next time.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No inventory, Jim.

I had put them out with the poles in the garage. I know exactly where they were for the movers. Everything was very organized for the movers to take- right out in the front of the garage. This was just a local move of 25 miles. They had a big truck, a guy's personal car and a van.

This house we are in is so small there is no where they can be. Hubby looked tonight- nothing. We did our own packing and most things are still in their sealed boxes. The snowshoes were not packed in a box. They were with the poles and other items that were not in a box.

Now we are wondering what else could be missing.
It does not sound like you had used a large established moving company. We have never had a mover come in separate vehicles and they were always in a company moving truck.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It does not sound like you had used a large established moving company. We have never had a mover come in separate vehicles and they were always in a company moving truck.

These guys were local- Triangle Movers- a good reputation with all the realtors- but they also sub with Stevens, which we thought would be good when we move to NH.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
These guys were local- Triangle Movers- a good reputation with all the realtors- but they also sub with Stevens, which we thought would be good when we move to NH.
I don't know local companies for sure. We used a large moving company for our out of state move. It was a humongous truck and they were moving 4 homes out of state. Ours was the last to be unloaded and guess what, after they had reassembled our furniture, there were 2 massive wooden legs for some furniture. They did not remember that anything was missing from the other 3 households after they reassembled their furniture. Nevertheless, they called the other 3 households and everyone said they got everything. The 2 legs were left in our storage locker downstairs and we will toss them the next time we reorganize our locker.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We used a large, established moving company for our move from California to New Mexico. I believe they sub-contracted as the truck did not have the name of the large company. They did a great job.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Now that we are on this subject and I need another moving company, who do Tuggers recommend for out of state moving? NY to NH?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Now that we are on this subject and I need another moving company, who do Tuggers recommend for out of state moving? NY to NH?
I don't have a specific recommendation, but when we were getting ready for our move we had two, or three, companies come out to give us an estimate. I went with the one I felt the most comfortable with, the one that I felt did the best with the estimate. As I said we were very happy with them. There were a couple of things slightly damaged in the move, we were reimbursed for the repair. The one thing I didn't get was my ironing board. Our guess is that it never got off the truck, and when I was checking the inventory I didn't notice it was missing, so we were not reimbursed for that.

I don't remember which company we used, it was one of the large well known ones, but as I said in an earlier post I think the actual move was contracted out. But we had the same "driver" the entire trip. He was there for the loading, drove the truck, and did the unloading. He had different crews at each end.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't have a specific recommendation, but when we were getting ready for our move we had two, or three, companies come out to give us an estimate. I went with the one I felt the most comfortable with, the one that I felt did the best with the estimate. As I said we were very happy with them. There were a couple of things slightly damaged in the move, we were reimbursed for the repair. The one thing I didn't get was my ironing board. Our guess is that it never got off the truck, and when I was checking the inventory I didn't notice it was missing, so we were not reimbursed for that.

I don't remember which company we used, it was one of the large well known ones, but as I said in an earlier post I think the actual move was contracted out. But we had the same "driver" the entire trip. He was there for the loading, drove the truck, and did the unloading. He had different crews at each end.

How the hell do you lose an ironing board?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had (back in the day) experience with West End Moving out of Bridgeport, CT. To be honest, anyone who was there when I had anything to do with them is probably pushing up daisies now- it's been 40 years, but they had a good reputation at the time.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
How the hell do you lose an ironing board?
Oh, it would be very easy. Huge truck. Lots of moving blankets and also pallets. Probably fell behind one of them. It had to have been picked up at the California end because everything went.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Oh, it would be very easy. Huge truck. Lots of moving blankets and also pallets. Probably fell behind one of them. It had to have been picked up at the California end because everything went.

With us it was just a local move all in the same day. I don't get how they could "lose" my snowshoes. They went from my former house to the rental house- following my husband because they could not trust their GPS, which got them lost on the way to our former home for the pick up.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am upset because these snowshoes were at least something I had right now that I could enjoy. I had them all these years and in one move- poof!- gone.

My books are all packed away so I cannot read them. I literally have nothing for enjoyment- no social life. In a holding pattern. Living like this is getting to me.

Am I living in a ghetto? Of course not. Have a roof over my head, heat and hot water and food. Thank you, Lord. Thankful for it all. But at this age I really need to be settled and I just want my darn snowshoes to use for a lousy week. Money is getting tight and will be tighter very soon. Bad enough we had to give away everything we owned that we worked so hard for. Our choice, I know. But now this was the last straw, silly as it may sound to others.

We hardly have anything left from purging our home. These snowshoes were at least something I kept and I could still use and intended to use them when we moved and I could finally live a retired life. Especially with the long winters at the new house. Lord knows by the time we move what we will have left if this is what happens with movers. I know many people might not get this.

I suppose we maybe should have moved ourselves- though not sure we could handle it all. But now I know why people do. You just can't trust anyone with your things. No one cares.

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We had two spoon racks go missing on one move. Get ready to put my grandmother's souvenir spoon collection back on the wall and no racks. I can't imagine why anyone would have taken those, and nothing else turned up missing. I'm sure we paid more for that 20 minute distance move than we should have. The quote people come in and give a price based on what they see, but with a local move and having to be organized so my home based business could still function smoothly, we ended up moving a gazillion boxes ourselves so that my kitchen and office were already up and running before the move. I do not look forward to dealing with the move to the old folks home which is a little less than two hours away. Thinking of abandoning Cliff to the movers and going the day before with the cats.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I am upset because these snowshoes were at least something I had right now that I could enjoy. I had them all these years and in one move- poof!- gone.

My books are all packed away so I cannot read them. I literally have nothing for enjoyment- no social life. In a holding pattern. Living like this is getting to me.

Am I living in a ghetto? Of course not. Have a roof over my head, heat and hot water and food. Thank you, Lord. Thankful for it all. But at this age I really need to be settled and I just want my darn snowshoes to use for a lousy week. Money is getting tight and will be tighter very soon. Bad enough we had to give away everything we owned that we worked so hard for. Our choice, I know. But now this was the last straw, silly as it may sound to others.

We hardly have anything left from purging our home. These snowshoes were at least something I kept and I could still use and intended to use them when we moved and I could finally live a retired life. Especially with the long winters at the new house. Lord knows by the time we move what we will have left if this is what happens with movers. I know many people might not get this.

I suppose we maybe should have moved ourselves- though not sure we could handle it all. But now I know why people do. You just can't trust anyone with your things. No one cares.
I have friends that own a ski shop in White Plains. PM me what you are looking for. They can be replaced. I will help you.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Is there an Insurance Claim involved in this disappearance?

Richard

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For local moves, we always use Two Men and a Truck. Quality, in terms of how much care they put into wrapping, moving and unwrapping, depends on the crew but have not had major problems with them.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For our out of state move, it went through a major vendor and because my husband left the Fortune 500 company as a retiree, we got a 10% discount by going through them as one of the retiree perks. But the crew was sub-contracted. They disassembled, packed, drove the huge truck, delivered and unpacked and reassembled. We got our stuff after 1 to 2 weeks.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
@mpumilia

I know that I would feel violated under your circumstances. I am shutting down an office building in the near future and will be moving equipment, furniture, and art into storage. I know that I would be very upset if something went missing. However, I would count my blessings at this time. You did well on your recent operation. The poles are easily replaced. If the loss of your poles is the greatest tragedy of the day, we are in great shape. I get so angry when something is missing. However, the anger only makes things worse. That is why I resort to counting my blessings when I feel violated. Hope that the rest of your move is without additional complications.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, I am very sorry for your lost. Maybe, someone is trying to tell you something: moved on because I want you to forget about the past and now let’s start a new life with new adventures. Wishing you the very best in your new location.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Is there an Insurance Claim involved in this disappearance?

Richard

No. We did not take out extra insurance since it was a local, the day move. I suppose I could check with our renters insurance. LOL!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have friends that own a ski shop in White Plains. PM me what you are looking for. They can be replaced. I will help you.

Thanks for the offer. I am going to just rent them for now for next week while we are away. When we move I will buy a new pair.

I am trying not to buy anything new before we move for this very reason. We need a new mattress desperately but holding off until we move. Same with a TV (ours broke just before we moved). One big hold on everything.

What can you do? When I move it seems like I have to buy everything that I already had. Most days I really regret moving.