• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Who has exchanged a week with Redweek?

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 bedroom Oceanfront unit for Labor Day week in Aruba. I got that using a point system. I think I'll throw it back since I'll be in Orlando that week in a 3 bedroom Grand Villa at Old Key West. I got that with a WorldMark Crossover trade. Crossover grids rule. Flat rate 12000 credits for any 3 br unit.

I wonder if the Florida state AG is even remotely interested that I was able to get this week. Nah, I doubt it. He's got a lot of other things to worry about.

Yeah, most AG's are actually just looking for higher office. They say AG should stand for ''Aspiring Governor''. However, his Consumer Protection Division may well have an interest if the issue is pointed out to them. And given the image of timesharing, protecting local folks from a big, bad out-of-state timeshare giant may make good press for his aspirations. The consumer protection boys do the work, and the AG gets the press. Not a bad deal for him.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well when RCI admits they are having a significant problem with members who are unhappy because they fell afoul of that ''wrong conclusion'', it must not be so wrong after all.

'Nuf said!

See, you have no experience in point systems, so you keep drawing the wrong conclusion. It's funny that you keep doing that.

It is exactly the automatic deposit provision that makes a point system predictable and strong. I could book the 35-days I did for next summer exactly because 100% of WorldMark inventory is automatically deposited into the system at 13-14 months. When inventory is predictable, then you can easily book what you need for the days you need it. You can't do that in a weeks based system.

RCI Points sucks for different reasons that you are articulating. It sucks because the fees are too high and the inventory is too unpredictable.

Take Bluegreen or Hyatt or other point systems with the following attribute. These point systems give you access to your fixed week if you elect to use it. If not, it turns into points automatically and you get the benefits of points. And, due to their leverage of exchange companies, they tend to get great trading power for their deposits. The best of all worlds.

The future of timesharing is points based resort groups. Smaller resorts should start creating and affilating with their own resort groups. That's the future. Just like a World without long distance phone companies.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
While there may be nothing wrong with a fair and balanced grid, that is FAR from what RCI has. Note Perry's comments earlier about ''upgrading'' from weeks. Sytematically cheating one system to benefit another is not a ''fair practice'' under consumer protection law, and RCI should get nailed hard on this.

Just because you keep repeating it, it doesn't make it true. Crossover grids are fine. Are prevalent in the industry. Will continue. And, will help to keep
third party exchange companies afloat given the number of weeks that trade through those interfaces.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you check with the only Outer Banks real estate firm that deals in timeshare rentals, you will find that they put whatever rental price the owner wants on the rental. There is no ''fixed schedule of prices'' . Whatever it is you are looking at, it is NOT a timeshare rental site, as OBRR, the only timeshare rental site does not post rental prices online, only resale prices. You have to call their office on rental prices.

Again, another of your apples and oranges comparisions.

On a somewhat related issue, it is hard not to notice when one explores the OBX rental sites (or Colorado lodges or ...) that they have fixed schedules of prices. This is not because they are Commies. All these places (as well as RCI, II, Hilton - with their HGVC - Hyatt, Disney, etc.) have long standing records of year to year demand. They see no need to adjust the rates every week (nor every day). Providing customers with fixed schedules of prices is simply good business practice.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
ok - europe is like another world

In an earlier post, someone contended that one did not hear points owners complaining.

Well, then, how do the points advocates explain these two sites:

www.scambustersuk.com

www.sunterrafied.co.uk

Having read some of those sites it would appear that we in the US are well served by consumer protection laws when it comes to timeshares. Make that you don't hear many US points owners complaining.

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Simple Simon Says...

I see that you seem to be backing off on your contention that all red weeks trade the same.

A good example of the impact of supply and demand in weeks-based exchanging is the impact of bulkbanking. Many Tuggers watch for bulkbanks in areas they usually occur, so that they can snag exchanges while the trading power needed is reduced by the sudden glut of supply. I know of area in the Caribbean where I can pull a wide variety of weeks with my SA week right after a bulkbanking, but otherwise can only pull hurricane season with SA. I know there is other inventory there at other times because my European week can see it. On the other end, I can recall Bootleg's comments about how much the trading power - both in and out - of Manhattan Club declined after MC started bulkbanking. MC did no favor to their members when they started bulkbanking. Again, right after a bulkbanking, Tuggers have been able to pull MC with an average SA week.

I do believe all Red RCI Weeks of a certain unit size have 100% the same exact* Trading Power (TP) – I’ve not changed my opinion.

What I’m pointing out is that there is NO need for historic data for complicated forecasting models of supply and demand – a rudimentary single digit of 0=no supply or demand, 1=supply/demand met, and 2=overabundance of supply/demand will do it.

This has nothing to do with TP – it has everything to do with fire sales which temporarily remove the need for TP – just unload the reservation to anything waiting.

e.g.
Unit X is a Red 1BR and will exchange for ANY Red 1BR or 2BR (ongoing searches only) and there are no matches made at that second.

A duplicate Unit X Red 1BR is deposited and the test for TP is now removed – completely. There is a glut of Unit X Red 1BRs and ANY unit searching will match it. A match was found with a Unit Y White Studio snaps it up and the Supply/Demand number is back to 1 so TP is now reestablished.

I think RCI works this way and so does II – it’s a 5th grade solution that is easy to program and will result in similar results as we now view.

*I believe that a purely random variable is added to TP to make the results unpredictable which will mask the Simple Simon Simplicity of the system.

There is NO need to make either RCI or II more complicated than that. All these formulas are secret so why in the world add ANY complexity to them - just make them unpredictable so members can't find patterns to haul them into court over.

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perry - You're ''funnin' us'', right? Taking a position that any Tugger with any experience trading knows is simply absurd and seeing if we will debate with you with a straight face?

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's secret for a reason...

Perry - You're ''funnin' us'', right? Taking a position that any Tugger with any experience trading knows is simply absurd and seeing if we will debate with you with a straight face?

If the goal is to make exchanges and no one can challenge a secret system why take the time to make it complex?

I don't believe it is more complex than that - just enough randomness thrown in to make the outcome seem like a mental giant is at work instead of Simple Simon.

P.S.
This goes for the II week system too - it explains all my upgrades which I have no business getting and the exchanges that seem to never happen - it's all smoke and mirrors. This is why I have 12 ongoing exchanges in II all the time - it's a large enough sample to allow any exchange I want - it just takes time and a little pixie dust.

Somebody show me any logic posted by either RCI or II to refute my assumptions.

P.P.S.
I am more convinced that my assumptions are correct with the mistake II made with WM owners this week - I found exactly the definition of TP that I've been using for quite a while - its exactly what I just posted. I copyrighted those findings and made them available to all TUG members.

P.P.P.S.
With your thrust for legal actions against RCI I would think you would embrace such a simple and corrupt system - isn't this what we would expect from a company that dishes out all kinds of abuse towards their customers?

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a discussion of exchange company rentals of deposited weeks, I recall Craig Urbine stating flatly that there was no way to successfully operate an exchange company without doing rentals. There was never any followup discussion of how and why rentals were needed.
But, didn't Craig also say that II wouldn't rent out weeks that should have gone to exchangers, since doing so would ruin their business eventually? If II is just renting out surplus inventory that would have otherwise gone to waste, then I don't see the problem.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have been listening to timeshare salesmen too long instead of reading the boards at TUG if you think all red trades the same.

The impact on trading power - both in and out - from bulkbanking is the clearest evidence of the impact of supply and demand in the weeks based exchange system. It has been discussed on TUG over and over again. It baffles me that you just don't seem to get it.

Your theory goes against all of the collective experience of Tuggers with exchanging. Let's see if there is anyone else out there that buys this theory. I doubt that even the usual little group of regular defenders of RCI and points on these boards will even support you on this one.

As to RCI's own comments on how trading power is calculated, you might check the Ask RCI FAQ's, where in #1B, they give the first factor in trading power as
"supply, demand, and usage of the week, resort, and area"

Yes, they may always be lying, but the actual experience of Tuggers, as well as the comments of RCI insider who gave straight answers on these boards, Bootleg, indicate that they are telling the truth this time.

If the goal is to make exchanges and no one can challenge a secret system why take the time to make it complex?

I don't believe it is more complex than that - just enough randomness thrown in to make the outcome seem like a mental giant is at work instead of Simple Simon.

P.S.
This goes for the II week system too - it explains all my upgrades which I have no business getting and the exchanges that seem to never happen - it's all smoke and mirrors. This is why I have 12 ongoing exchanges in II all the time - it's a large enough sample to allow any exchange I want - it just takes time and a little pixie dust.

Somebody show me any logic posted by either RCI or II to refute my assumptions.

P.P.S.
I am more convinced that my assumptions are correct with the mistake II made with WM owners this week - I found exactly the definition of TP that I've been using for quite a while - its exactly what I just posted. I copyrighted those findings and made them available to all TUG members.

P.P.P.S.
With your thrust for legal actions against RCI I would think you would embrace such a simple and corrupt system - isn't this what we would expect from a company that dishes out all kinds of abuse towards their customers?

Last edited:

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI is corrupt - I believe it...

You have been listening to timeshare salesmen too long instead of reading the boards at TUG if you think all red trades the same.

The impact on trading power - both in and out - from bulkbanking is the clearest evidence of the impact of supply and demand in the weeks based exchange system. It has been discussed on TUG over and over again. It baffles me that you just don't seem to get it.

Your theory goes against all of the collective experience of Tuggers with exchanging. Let's see if there is anyone else out there that buys this theory. I doubt that even the usual little group of regular defenders of RCI and points on these boards will even support you on this one.

As to RCI's own comments on how trading power is calculated, you might check the Ask RCI FAQ's, where in #1B, they give the first factor in trading power as
"supply, demand, and usage of the week, resort, and area"

Yes, they may always be lying, but the actual experience of Tuggers, as well as the comments of RCI insider who gave straight answers on these boards, Bootleg, indicate that they are telling the truth this time.

If there is anyone here that should believe that RCI is a totally corrupt company it should be you - you seem to defend RCI Weeks as a pillar of virtue.

I believe that the RCI Week system is a totally corrupt system - one worthy of studying and exploiting. I don't assume for a second it makes any sense or plays by the rules.

Here is my methodology in reverse engineering II and RCI weeks:

1) I assumed that the system was totally corrupt – no level playing field and favored the exchange company to make as many exchanges possible with as few complaints possible

2) It would be extremely simple and have few rules – it would be very crude internally and look complex externally

3) I take the exchange company at it’s word as to the number of seasons (3) they have – it’s that crude

4) I take the exchange company at it’s word as to the unit sizes – it’s that crude

5) It would have a randomness added to disguise the rules and that binominal randomness would result in no outrageously hard or easy exchanges – i.e. the randomness would not hurt the exchange company nor favor the member

6) Supply/demand would simply be a way to remove ALL trading rules if more than 1 reservation existed per unit (This is important to Marriott II exchanges)

7) The timestamp of when an ongoing search began would be a very key item in awarding a match to multiple ongoing searches

8) The ongoing searches use this logic and instant searches would not implement supply/demand and convert TP to something looking far more complex to outsiders

The II accident with WM owners earlier this week was 100% exactly what I had guessed TP was in both II and RCI – totally corrupt. I am now convinced that supply/demand is just as simple and corrupt.

Using the above I have devised strategies designed to embrace those assumptions to maximize a corrupt system as much as I can. One of them is just plain old brute force – 12+ open exchanges and many contain duplicates requests. Duplicate requests will be affected by the TP randomness – some will gain TP and some will lose TP; I don’t know which is which until a match is made and then it’s too late anyway.

This is as much as I wish to divulge now and should help folks better their chances at a successful exchange. I would imagine this logic is different than most members’ perception of how exchanges work.

Can I prove any of the above? Of course not – neither can anyone refute them – the internal workings of II and RCI are 100% opaque. If you don’t like my assumptions make your own and see if they work any better – I bet they don’t.

The only reason I can think you need to defend RCI against corruption charges is to keep them viable as you sue the stuffing out of them - that's my guess.

P.S.

Here is the II TP I saw earlier this week - RCI is exactly the same but the numbers are probably different:

***** II Trading Power Defined *******

Red Season: (Highest demand)
Studio=1 Point
1BR=1.42 Points
2BR=2 Points
3BR=2.42 Points

Yellow Season: (Medium demand)
Studio=.75 Points
1BR=1 Points
2BR=1.42 Points
3BR=2 Points
4BR=2.42 Points

Green Season: (Lowest demand)
Studio=.5 Points
1BR=.75 Points
2BR= 1 Points
3BR=1.42 Points
4BR=2 Points

Copyright (C) Perry Myklebost, permission is given to TUG to reprint.

P.P.S.
The number 1.42 is an example of randomness thrown in to disguise the simple corrupt rules.

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your theory had any merit at all (and I still think you are sitting back laughing that anyone would even treat it as something even worthy of debate rather than something devised as a joke), pink would about half the time outtrade prime red, and that simply doesn't match the exchange experience of any Tugger I have ever seen post.

The well documented response of trading power to bulkbankings also is clear evidence that your theory holds not water.

Then there is Bootleg, who had access to RCI's computers and could see what was going on, and whose loyalty to his company was overridden by his loyalty to his customers. His comments always reflected the operation of a supply/demand based system. He was not someone who would coverup for his employer on these boards if they were screwing his customers.

Again, where is anyone on these boards who agrees that all red trades the same???????? Where is anyone whose tiger trader is a tiger half the time and a pussycat the other half?????

The RCI system worked well and with integrity until Cendant came along and corrupted the system with some of their new policies. I agree with you that it has been corrupted now. That is why I try to do most of my exchanges through DAE. And I would love to have the old RCI back again, but the odds of that happening are very slim.

Your numbers would appear to be something related to an insider deal between a mini-system and II, which would appear about as rotten as the RCI Points grids, as opposed to anything involving a member using the regular exchange system, but I have not dealt with II or followed II threads that much on t/s boards to compare it with actual Tugger experience with II. Perhaps some II exchangers could comment.

If you haven't done so, you should post those numbers in a seperate thread directed to II members to get some reaction. They may not see it here.

Last edited:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
... Whatever it is you are looking at, it is NOT a timeshare rental site, ....
That is correct. I was looking at the what houses were renting for on OBX, not timeshares. There were tons of fixed schedules and they uniformily lowered prices sometime in August. One would have to think that was because demand begins to slack at this time. I see no reason - no reason - to believe that the same is not true for timeshare demand nor do I think these rentals are being run by a bunch of Commies.

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't this what we all want - a corrupt RCI Week system? I do.

If your theory had any merit at all (and I still think you are sitting back laughing that anyone would even treat it as something even worthy of debate rather than something devised as a joke), pink would about half the time outtrade prime red, and that simply doesn't match the exchange experience of any Tugger I have ever seen post.

The well documented response of trading power to bulkbankings also is clear evidence that your theory holds not water.

Then there is Bootleg, who had access to RCI's computers and could see what was going on, and whose loyalty to his company was overridden by his loyalty to his customers. His comments always reflected the operation of a supply/demand based system. He was not someone who would coverup for his employer on these boards if they were screwing his customers.

Again, where is anyone on these boards who agrees that all red trades the same???????? Where is anyone whose tiger trader is a tiger half the time and a pussycat the other half?????

The RCI system worked well and with integrity until Cendant came along and corrupted the system with some of their new policies. I agree with you that it has been corrupted now. That is why I try to do most of my exchanges through DAE. And I would love to have the old RCI back again, but the odds of that happening are very slim.

Your numbers would appear to be something related to an insider deal between a mini-system and II, which would appear about as rotten as the RCI Points grids, as opposed to anything involving a member using the regular exchange system, but I have not dealt with II or followed II threads that much on t/s boards to compare it with actual Tugger experience with II. Perhaps some II exchangers could comment.

If you haven't done so, you should post those numbers in a seperate thread directed to II members to get some reaction. They may not see it here.

That's NOT what I'm saying - if anything I am saying that ALL Red weeks have a different TP number - exactly what most folks think.

Here is an example of how corrupt rules are used:

I have 2BR reservation for week 52 at resort X. Let's use IIs TP numbers and as the unit is deposited or used request first the exchange company will start with 2.00 points and randomly pick a number between 1.43 and 2.41 - I pick 2.33, the next time someone makes a similar deposit the computer could pick 1.56 - it's totally random.

That's a completely corrupt system that fulfills the requirement of maximum exchanges with minimum complaints - the definition I believe RCI gave to the IT department and doesn't care if the system is 100% honest or 100% corrupt.

Again I do believe folks when they say RCI is corrupt - I embrace it.

P.S.
These TP numbers are know to the IT department and if show on monitors would simply multiply them by a number, say 1234 and my 2.33 will show up as 2,875.22 and that's the TP RCI employees see - it looks like a legitimate number but it's corrupt. Next week that seed number might be 1324, then the next week 1432 - its a totally random number within a central tendency.

If you can't believe any of this - that's exactly what RCI wants - you thinking that it is a just system when it's not.

The simplicity of the system is awesome - it requires a simple table to look up size of unit and season which are pre-defined and NO historical data is needed at all. Again, I am designing a 100% totally corrupt system that your credit card thief would use - why should RCI Weeks be any better - they have no competition to speak of and I don't think they ever promised an honest system - that's our assumption as consumers.

And why should I care - as long as I keep trying and get upgrades I could care less if RCI Weeks is corrupt. In fact, I'd give them a wink - that's exactly the system I want, a corrupt system that allows me to upgrade all the time - thanks RCI/II Weeks. If I want an honest system I'm forced to use a Points system.

Last edited:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the view from my unit. The whole window in the living room was filled with a view of the Pacific Ocean....
Nice pictures Boca. I am also glad to see that you are not part of the loose lips sink ships crowd. You are willing to share the fact that there are some wonderful trades that can be made with points within points. (No crossover grids.) Sharing information on how to get the most out of timesharing is how TUG got started.

Last edited:

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I find truly amazing is that this is the 217th post of this thread. The original question was seeking those who have made an exchange with RW.

I recall only ONE exchange being confirmed.

That would be me - I did my part :)

P.S.
Most of this thread, like so many here, is a rehash of rehash. Sadly, human nature does respond to "Say it enough times and they will believe".

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I have seen of the hoards of eastern European students who descend on the OBX for summer jobs each year, there is no indication that they are commies in spite of the former orientation of the countries they come from.

The OBX is a good example of how in spite of a bit of overlap timeshare markets, house/cottage rental markets, and hotel markets are different. There has been a trend in recent years to tear down motels on and near the beach to make way for large 10-12BR houses, that some call ''mini-hotels'', which are built for the rental market. At the same time, there has been no new timeshare inventory added on or near the beach, and in fact some has been lost with the hostile takeover of Bodie Island Beach Club. Timeshare inventory has declined a little. Motel inventory has declined a lot. Rental house inventory has increased a lot. The result is 1) a very tight hotel market, 2) an underperforming rental house market, and 3) a somewhat improved timeshare rental market. This shift has helped the timeshare market because there seems to be more overlap between it and the shrunken motel market. It amazed me recently when someone who had priced the corporate rate over at the Elizabethan Inn in Manteo, 15 minutes drive from the beach. Until just a few years ago, the corporate rate there was around $30 yearround. Now in summer it is $99, and I don't know how much higher the rack rate is. Even in Manteo, they are picking up the overflow of the displaced beach motel crowd. While the rental house market has gotten overbuilt to the point that quite a few do not cash flow, the hotel market has gotten extremely tight.

Another good example of how these are different markets is articles that have been quoted in The Timeshare Beat from Hawaii and from the Caribbean that have pointed out that in slow economic times, when hotel occupancy falls off quite a bit, timeshare occupancy still stays fairly stable in the islands.

Quite frankly, I don't know many timesharers who going lookinig for 10-12BR units!

That is correct. I was looking at the what houses were renting for on OBX, not timeshares. There were tons of fixed schedules and they uniformily lowered prices sometime in August. One would have to think that was because demand begins to slack at this time. I see no reason - no reason - to believe that the same is not true for timeshare demand nor do I think these rentals are being run by a bunch of Commies.

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
As usual, you assert your beliefs as facts, even when they blatantly conflict with real, known facts. What blows your fairy tale out of the water is the fact the TP is NOT random. Pink weeks do NOT outtrade bright red weeks half the time, as would happen under your belief.

Indeed even among good red weeks there is an obvious pecking order. I have owned all three summer holidays weeks on the OBX, Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day, and I can tell you for a fact that July 4 definitely outtrades the other two all the time, although the other two are no slouches on trades themselves.

Your II numbers are clearly some sort of crossover grid to some system, NOT real TP numbers, so why do you keep referring to them as TP numbers?

That's NOT what I'm saying - if anything I am saying that ALL Red weeks have a different TP number - exactly what most folks think.

Here is an example of how corrupt rules are used:

I have 2BR reservation for week 52 at resort X. Let's use IIs TP numbers and as the unit is deposited or used request first the exchange company will start with 2.00 points and randomly pick a number between 1.43 and 2.41 - I pick 2.33, the next time someone makes a similar deposit the computer could pick 1.56 - it's totally random.

That's a completely corrupt system that fulfills the requirement of maximum exchanges with minimum complaints - the definition I believe RCI gave to the IT department and doesn't care if the system is 100% honest or 100% corrupt.

Again I do believe folks when they say RCI is corrupt - I embrace it.

P.S.
These TP numbers are know to the IT department and if show on monitors would simply multiply them by a number, say 1234 and my 2.33 will show up as 2,875.22 and that's the TP RCI employees see - it looks like a legitimate number but it's corrupt. Next week that seed number might be 1324, then the next week 1432 - its a totally random number within a central tendency.

If you can't believe any of this - that's exactly what RCI wants - you thinking that it is a just system when it's not.

The simplicity of the system is awesome - it requires a simple table to look up size of unit and season which are pre-defined and NO historical data is needed at all. Again, I am designing a 100% totally corrupt system that your credit card thief would use - why should RCI Weeks be any better - they have no competition to speak of and I don't think they ever promised an honest system - that's our assumption as consumers.

And why should I care - as long as I keep trying and get upgrades I could care less if RCI Weeks is corrupt. In fact, I'd give them a wink - that's exactly the system I want, a corrupt system that allows me to upgrade all the time - thanks RCI/II Weeks. If I want an honest system I'm forced to use a Points system.

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Monopolies are corrupt - so is RCI; this is good!

As usual, you assert your beliefs as facts, even when they blatantly conflict with real, known facts. What blows your fairy tale out of the water is the fact the TP is NOT random. Pink weeks do NOT outtrade bright red weeks half the time, as would happen under your belief.

Indeed even among good red weeks there is an obvious pecking order. I have owned all three summer holidays weeks on the OBX, Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day, and I can tell you for a fact that July 4 definitely outtrades the other two all the time, although the other two are no slouches on trades themselves.

Your II numbers are clearly some sort of crossover grid to some system, NOT real TP numbers, so why do you keep referring to them as TP numbers?

RCI is certainly a monopoly and II can be viewed as one for their customers too. One thing that monopolies have in common is that they become corrupt over time – no need to worry about competition or even law and order. I firmly believe that RCI/II have entered this stage – totally corrupt.

This is great news to those of us who know how to play their game.

One must view RCI/II as a “black box” we can only view what goes in and what comes out. There are published variables:

1) 3 colored seasons
2) Unit sizes
3) Relaxation of rules at 45-days/59-days for II

That’s it – we can make inferences about:
1) How early a unit is deposited or search begins
2) Supply and demand of some kind

Observable outputs:
1) Upgrades
2) Equal trades
3) Downgrades
4) No exchanges

From these few facts we must then guess what the rules RCI/II use to make exchanges.

There is one more piece of information that we can also use:
1) The system is 100% honest
2) The system is 100% dishonest (corrupt)

I’ve designed models for RCI/II using all the above – I find the simplest, most efficient, and most profitable is a corrupt based exchange system. If a 100% honest system was used by RCI/II upgrades would be few and far between. In fact there would be many no exchanges, I believe RCI reports 95% successful exchanges - a result I would expect from a corrupt system.

My empirical experience shows 100% upgrades – many here report a lopsided tendency of upgrades versus equal or downgrades. Who gets the downgrades or no exchanges is a great question – I’m assuming that new members to RCI/II might get a lot of downgrades and even this could be kept track of.

So I set out and accomplished what I wanted – a completely 100% corrupt week based exchange system. I see no reason why RCI/II should not and have not adopted a simple system that maximizes their profits.

Can I prove any of this – no. I just am using the tendencies of monopolies – they eventually become corrupt; take advantage of them if you can. There is a reason why all of the internal workings of RCI/II are secret - and it has nothing to do with allowing the competition an advantage and everything to hide the corporate corruption.

P.S.
All the "evidence" you cite just reenforces my assumption as to the corruption of the company. Maybe the lawsuits will start to uncover this - for those of us who upgrade all the time I hope not.

Last edited:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another good example of how these are different markets is articles that have been quoted in The Timeshare Beat from Hawaii and from the Caribbean that have pointed out that in slow economic times, when hotel occupancy falls off quite a bit, timeshare occupancy still stays fairly stable in the islands.
Your confusing occupancy with demand. Yes, Hawaian timeshare occupancy is very stable, but demand in November is about one-fourth that of the peak weeks in July.

Put differently, if occupancy is now the criteria that RCI should be using for their point charts, then you should be ridiculing RCI for having lower point totals for OBX in October (and probably even November given your prior comments about occupancy at OBX timeshares) compared to mid-July.

I stick with my contention -- tourist demand for OBX begins to slack off in mid-August and the rental charts reflect that. That is why RCI lowered the point total give to a late August week. It is not a bright red summer week.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again, you are basing your assertions a segment of the market that is tending toward overbuilt - the mostly large rental homes - that only slightly overlaps the timeshare market, either rental or exchange.

A better indicator is to go to the OBX in late October or early November. You will see many ''no vacancy'' signs on motels. One HOA last year setting up their annual meeting in early November, for example, was unable to find vacant units at that resort or two others they worked with for any board member other than the president. They even had trouble finding hotel rooms they could rent for board members. Many places were full, and they had to commit to two nights to get one of the two hotels with a few rooms to give them reservations. Now, if they had tried to rent a large rental home, they would certainly have had better luck at that time of the year. It is simply different markets.

Occupancy and demand ARE two different things. Weeks with full or close to full occupancy are hardly dogs, but if demand only slightly exceeds supply, they are not going to be tiger traders, either.

In the Fall and Spring, demand doesn't abruptly change over one weekend. It rises or falls, depending on which season, gradually week by week.

Your confusing occupancy with demand. Yes, Hawaian timeshare occupancy is very stable, but demand in November is about one-fourth that of the peak weeks in July.

Put differently, if occupancy is now the criteria that RCI should be using for their point charts, then you should be ridiculing RCI for having lower point totals for OBX in October (and probably even November given your prior comments about occupancy at OBX timeshares) compared to mid-July.

I stick with my contention -- tourist demand for OBX begins to slack off in mid-August and the rental charts reflect that. That is why RCI lowered the point total give to a late August week. It is not a bright red summer week.

Last edited:

PeelBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I did, but everyone is busy with their microeconomics 101 tutorial. I am trying to grab another week in SFO from Redweek, so no time to join the discussion. I will get an F from the prof.

Last edited: