• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Official Secrets of OWNERS (please) Four Seasons Aviara Thread

moltenlava

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reserving Thanksgiving week?

I was unable to reserve the thanksgiving week again for 2011. I called one day after the day thanksgiving week opened, and the agent said they are all fully booked. I know that thanksgiving week is sought after, but it's a little crazy to expect the owner to call exactly at 8am to reserve the week. Does the call center have the capacity to handle the call volume or are the calls put on hold for hours?

I'm thinking about one of the two options. I understand that multiple week owners get extra week (or a month?) for the reservation. Does that mean the multiple week owners are guaranteed to reserve thanksgiving week or christmas week? If that's the case acquiring the second week to get thanksgiving week, then renting out the portion that I don't use is probably the desirable option. The second option is just getting out of Aviara. I like this property a lot, but it just gets frustrating if getting holiday weeks is this difficult.

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Moltenlava ( named for ??)

Multi-week owners can book 13 months out. There are a few weeks a year that are such a high demand week it is pretty hard to say you can get that all the time ... so when you snag a HI DEMAND week - be happy - but might you be better off mentally to identify a week of less demand and still just enjoy the week? Holiday weeks will always be hard to get, stress kills

Greg

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I was unable to reserve the thanksgiving week again for 2011. I called one day after the day thanksgiving week opened, and the agent said they are all fully booked. I know that thanksgiving week is sought after, but it's a little crazy to expect the owner to call exactly at 8am to reserve the week. Does the call center have the capacity to handle the call volume or are the calls put on hold for hours?

I'm thinking about one of the two options. I understand that multiple week owners get extra week (or a month?) for the reservation. Does that mean the multiple week owners are guaranteed to reserve thanksgiving week or christmas week? If that's the case acquiring the second week to get thanksgiving week, then renting out the portion that I don't use is probably the desirable option. The second option is just getting out of Aviara. I like this property a lot, but it just gets frustrating if getting holiday weeks is this difficult.

I posted this in another thread - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128127

In addition, multiweek owners can making it almost impossible to book prime summer and holiday weeks.

Multi-week owners not only have a 13 month window to begin booking, they can book multiple consecutive or concurrent weeks starting at the 13 month window (this models the Marriott reservation process however I believe Marriott has a cap on the % that can be booked at the 13 month mark. FS doesn't). For example a ten week FSRC platinum owner can book all ten weeks at the start of the 13 month window as long as the weeks are consecutive weeks. So in mid May, a ten week Platinum owner can reserve ten consecutive weeks from mid Jun to the end of August all within one single call or they can book ten units for the week of the 4th of July all in a single call. Single week owners and small multi-week owners get shut out of prime weeks due to large multi-week owners reserving several concurrent and/or consecutive weeks.

moltenlava

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your post on the other thread caught my eyes.

As a single week gold season owner, I've been shut out of prime Gold Season weeks (whenever the kids are out of school). I've tried calling exactly when the reservation desk opened for Friday, Saturday & Sunday check-ins. Sometimes I was offered to be placed on the waitlist which was already long (there's a max but I don't remember what it was) and sometimes I got shut out of the waitlist.

That confirmed my suspicion. When I called the owners service and asked about possibility of getting thanksgiving week, the answer given to me was "call me at 8am on the opening day". But it sounds like even calling them at 8am won't get the single week owner the popular weeks.

Okay, if I were to purchase another week at FSA will it significantly increase the chance to get thanksgiving or christmas week? Or will I be still shut out by multiple week owners who own more than two weeks?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I won't do it to get a holiday week

Okay, if I were to purchase another week at FSA will it significantly increase the chance to get thanksgiving or christmas week? Or will I be still shut out by multiple week owners who own more than two weeks?

I won't do it.

(1) Only owner services or multi week owners who normally book during these times would know for sure however there is no guarantee. The odds are against you that weeks will be available in the future.
(2) You still have to call exactly when the desk opens at the 13 month mark (instead of the 12 month mark).
(3) If you don't get the week, you now have multiple weeks to use.
(4) Renting isn't exactly easy. There are more renters then folks that are willing to rent. Everyone wants a bargain.

JMHO..If you really want a holiday week, I suggest renting from an owner. You might pay slight more than MF but you don't have to play the game of trying to secure a high demand week.

TriWest listings for week 51 & 52 - http://www.triwest-timeshare.com/resort/rent/92009FO
NOTE: Prices normally drop as the date approach. I'm sure these rental prices were much higher earlier in the year.

Resort : FOUR SEASONS CLUB AVIARA Date : 12/18-12/25 B/B/S : 1/2/6
Region : CASO Week : 51 Price : 1795
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ RENT ] Resort : FOUR SEASONS CLUB AVIARA Date : 12/18-12/25 B/B/S : 1/2/6
Region : CASO Week : 51 Price : 1995
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ RENT ] Resort : FOUR SEASONS CLUB AVIARA Date : 12/18-12/25 B/B/S : 1/2/6
Region : CASO Week : 51 Price : 1995
[ RENT ] Resort : FOUR SEASONS CLUB AVIARA Date : 12/18-12/25 B/B/S : 0/1/2
Region : CASO Week : 51 Price : 1395
[ RENT ] Resort : FOUR SEASONS CLUB AVIARA Date : 12/19-12/26 B/B/S : 2/3/6
Region : CASO Week : 51 Price : 2895
[ RENT ] Resort : FOUR SEASONS CLUB AVIARA Date : 12/19-12/26 B/B/S : 2/3/6
Region : CASO Week : 51 Price : 2895
[ RENT ] Resort : FOUR SEASONS CLUB AVIARA Date : 12/24-12/31 B/B/S : 1/2/4
Region : CASO Week : 52 Price : 1895
[ RENT ] Resort : FOUR SEASONS CLUB AVIARA Date : 12/26-01/02 B/B/S : 1/2/4
Region : CASO Week : 52 Price : 2695
[ RENT ] Resort : FOUR SEASONS CLUB AVIARA Date : 12/26-01/02 B/B/S : 2/3/6
Region : CASO Week : 52 Price : 2995
[ RENT ] Resort : FOUR SEASONS CLUB AVIARA Date : 12/31-01/07 B/B/S : 2/3/6
Region : CASO Week : 52 Price : 2895

REDWEEK listings for week 51 & 52 - http://www.redweek.com/resort/P726-four-seasons-residence-club-aviara

Dates / Nts / Price / Unit View / Bedrooms Bathrooms / Occupancy
NEW! 12/17/10 - 12/24/10 7 $3,000 ($429/nt) Varies 2/ 3 8 View
12/17/10 - 12/24/10 7 $1,350 ($193/nt) Varies 1/ 1.5 4 View
12/17/10 - 12/24/10 7 $2,250 ($321/nt) Varies 2/ 3 8 View
NEW! 12/18/10 - 12/25/10 7 $2,000 ($286/nt) Varies 2/ 3 8 View
12/19/10 - 12/26/10 7 $2,150 ($307/nt) Varies 2/ 3 8 View
12/24/10 - 12/31/10 7 $3,500 ($500/nt) Varies 2/ 3 8 View
NEW! 12/25/10 - 01/01/11 7 $2,600 ($371/nt) Varies 2/ 3 8 View
12/25/10 - 01/01/11 7 $2,295 ($328/nt) Varies 2/ 2.5 8 View
12/25/10 - 01/01/11 7 $2,800 ($400/nt) Varies 2/ 3 8 View
NEW! 12/26/10 - 01/02/11 7 $3,000 ($429/nt) Varies 2/ 3 7 View
NEW! 12/26/10 - 01/02/11 7 $3,000 ($429/nt) Varies 2/ 3 8 View
12/26/10 - 01/02/11 7 $2,150 ($307/nt) Varies 1/ 2 4 View
12/31/10 - 01/07/11 7 $2,795 ($399/nt) Varies 2/ 2.5 8 View

Last edited:

moltenlava

TUG Member
Reaction score
(2) You still have to call exactly when the desk opens at the 13 month mark (instead of the 12 month mark).

You mentioned there usually is single digit inventory left on the day before the reservation opens for 12 month mark. As a multi week owner won't I get the full month to call from the start of 13 month mark till the day before the star of 12 month mark?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
You mentioned there usually is single digit inventory left on the day before the reservation opens for 12 month mark. As a multi week owner won't I get the full month to call from the start of 13 month mark till the day before the star of 12 month mark?

sure you can call anytime you like but I don't take those sort of risks with high demand weeks.

It was only during 2008 when I made attempts to secure holiday weeks that I started asking for the number of units available for each check-in day and discovered it was in the single digits and finally decided to stop trying.

I can't tell you whether they had anything at all available during the other previous years that I attempted to get a holiday week because it just didn't occur to me to ask about availability the day before my designated call in day.

Good Luck with your decision.

Last edited:

moltenlava

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your insight. I agree that renting the holiday week from other owners is much easier and possibly cheaper in the long run. On the other hand if I were to ever buy any additional week for FSA, now is probably the best time when gold week resale goes for mere $5k.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
On the other hand if I were to ever buy any additional week for FSA, now is probably the best time when gold week resale goes for mere $5k.

JMHO....Expect FSA price to continue to fall. I won't be surprised if one day we see it going for a $1 on ebay.
There's never been any active ROFR that I'm aware of and more supply than demand. Some sellers will hold out but the reality is that this is buyers market so the price will depend on how low a buyer will go just to get rid of it.

Triwest website states that they have 326 resale listings for Four Seasons Aviara
See - http://www.triwest-timeshare.com/resort/info/92009FO

Last edited:

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi

Bump to thread - we are here for 5 weeks - a lot of activity on the summit as they are trying to get the final units updated ( stairs rebuild and a few balconies ) before their start the internal refurbishing latter this fall... The Meadows is quiet for rebuilding ( finished ? ) Rebuilding set to finish for Mid Feb.

Took a new class with Michelle ( circuit training -Tue - outdoor lagoon fitness(Sat) & fitness class(Mon) - she is typically of the great people the FS people can find and hire -try her classes out - not many people use classes at least in the winter spring.

If anyone is in area from now til March 5th - give us a call and fun to chat & share wine with other TUG'ers

Greg Henderson

Sir Newf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg- wow, 5 weeks...I'm jelous.
We just returned from 4S Troon, split Aviara into 1 week at Troon and 1 week at Aviara later this year. LOVED Troon- have you stayed there? If we didn't own Westin Kierland, this would definately be an acquisition!!! Enjoy Aviara, say "Hi' to Trader Joes for us....how do you get 5 weeks off in a row???:)

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
One bedrooms listed at $595. Has anyone rented theirs for that?

and what cut does FS take?

$197 > $350 studio
$397 > $695 1BR
$417 > $725 1BR premier

$594 > $1045 1BR + studio
$614 > $1075 1BR premier + studio

(3rd nt free in low season / less than 6 nts in high season)

Last edited:

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
and what cut does FS take?

$197 > $350 studio
$397 > $695 1BR
$417 > $725 1BR premier

$594 > $1045 1BR + studio
$614 > $1075 1BR premier + studio

(3rd nt free in low season / less than 6 nts in high season)

Hi Kage

FS still owns some unsold units ... assuming they get 100% minus their annual fees ? Just a guess. In addition looking at last years P&L's - there is a credit for RENTAL INCOME shown - approx $163k or $24/2bbd unit or $20 on a 1 bbd unit as a credit ( pulled from assessment details ). There is a larger credit for 'other income' for whatever that is ... re-read the annual meeting - but we only get bullet -points - wonder if any TUG's went to annual meeting?

Greg

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
FSA Spreadsheet?

Has anyone made a spreadsheet template for tracking FS ownership weeks, dispositions, dates etc. that they would be willing to share? I am finally getting around to doing this and it occured to me that...maybe.... I don't need to re-invent the wheel :doh: !

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone made a spreadsheet template for tracking FS ownership weeks, dispositions, dates etc. that they would be willing to share? I am finally getting around to doing this and it occured to me that...maybe.... I don't need to re-invent the wheel :doh: !

Hi

I am unsure what you are asking here? What would you do with data?

To Kage --there are 62 units still unsold ( out of 7200 total ) -- I just sat in on a BoD meeting - was interesting. Unsure why FS dragged this out for so long ?? Expect some 'specials' for existing owners to push the remainder. Had 3 other owners attend - they typically happen Feb-May-Aug and annual on Nov. Reminder for owners -- you can e-mail and request BoD minute summary - they will e-mail. The HOA Owners on conference call seemed very professional.

Seeing fewer grounds crew - but where I notice it is on the 'common area's' they share with Hyatt ( down the hill ) - I also notice the Hyatt is thin on grounds keeping compared with other years as a FS.

Hyatt seems very quiet - just not the same being a Hyatt - even a 'Park Hyatt' -- but with all the 'stuff' that went on last year --things are settling down pretty well. I see a press release that Broadreach even renewed their mortgage for another 5 years after being 'overdue' for a while this year .... maybe life continues....

We looked at other options out here - just think I am spoiled here - need 2 more weeks as I just do not see anything that compares for what you expect and get. If I can only get Silver to $50 ... smile ....

Greg

ps - first year with our Golden Retriever - FS shows you the 'off lead' parks- but we prefer the on lead park in southern Encinitas ... Cardiff State Park - we bought the yearly park pass and will leave with concierge if any other other pet owners want to try -- we like the south - and down 'no pets beyond this sign' - love the rocks ...the north end is a separate parking lot by the 'inlet' ....ps - one happy dog here...

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks!

7200 / 52 = ~138 ?

about 30 buildings ?

Fuzzy math -- in a previous year end meeting - think it was mentioned that 132 units ( therefore approx 6864 units ...vs 7200 mentioned at last BoD meeting.

I had a meeting with Florian ( GM ) and was very impressed with upcoming remodel plans ... 8 million ...all covered from our reserve fund .. using 132 units --that is roughly $60,000 per condo starting in fall and running to next summer. Interesting to see how much effort goes into selecting refining the proposed changes ...

I have to say that the crazy year is behind us -- and things will be better ...with that said ... I called Tri West and in 20 minutes had a verbalOK for an extra 2 weeks. Someone had that EASY button ..I guess. I had updated my spreadsheet ...you can download all 2009 and 2010 purchases from the San Diego County tax office for previous sales -- ( PM me if you are a serious buyer - can share my info ) -- I can never call the bottom in any market ( nor the top ) for investments - so this is no different - but a great time to buy if this resort fits your lifestyle and requirements. Tri West sure wan an easy way to handle this ( got our 1st week from them - they had us on file - that helped I guess ).

Greg

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I am unsure what you are asking here? What would you do with data?

Not looking for data Greg. I have just realizing that tracking my time at FSA would be a lot easier if I had a spreadsheet to track whether I had exchanged for accommodations credit, booked it and if so when, deposited it with Interval, put in request with Interval etc. for each year and I figured others had probably already done this. I know some people have multiple properties and keeping track of all of the time lines, deadlines, disposition etc. takes some organization. Or a memory better than mine :D .

wljet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg,

where can I find resale prices of EOY 2 bedroom units.

We stayed at Aviara several years ago and loved it.
I was very pleased to read your posts about that the FSA timeshare quality remains even if the Hotel has changed Brands.

thanks

wljet

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg,

where can I find resale prices of EOY 2 bedroom units.

We stayed at Aviara several years ago and loved it.
I was very pleased to read your posts about that the FSA timeshare quality remains even if the Hotel has changed Brands.

thanks

wljet

Hi

I just had a private message from a TUG'r who has a EOY unit for sale ... I think they will drop you a PM.

I also see a EOY unit for sale on Ebay for a fairly good price. You can set eBay to drop you a note when something matches your search... handy to see.

Greg

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own 2 weeks at FSA. I was there this mid-January for a week (beautiful weather - 70+ every day - just lucky). The timeshare resort was busy and still well-run.

However, the hotel was virtually empty. Lots of grand corridors with no guests wandering around. Just hotel employees. Sad. Losing the FS brand name and bringing in Park Hyatt, another prestige brand name, seems to have adversely affected hotel occupancy even more than before. The hotel is a beautiful structure with a good location and a very good restaurant. But, I just don't see how the hotel will avoid Chapter 11 (or even 7). ... eom

shoji

TUG Member
Reaction score
AC for My Deposits

Just to let everyone know, I got two AC certificates for depositing my Aviara Gold Week. I split into a 1 b and studio and got a AC for each.:cheer:

theduck

Reaction score
ex Four Seasons Aviara Sales Agent

I was the top sales agent at the property for almost 5 years and live 5 minutes from the resort.I am an owner at the Residence Club as well. I would be happy to provide insight/information to anyone about the Four Seasons Aviara or the neighborhood or any real estate questions in general. I am a licensed real estate agent . AviaraResortProperties.com