• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tuggers Can And Should Consider Direct Timeshare Exchanges With Each Other

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
IMO, the real advantage isn't saving a few bucks on an exchange fee. The real advantage of a private trade is either being able to guarantee the view - like ocean front in Hawaii (impossible with exchange companies) or getting a prime date at a prime resort (rare through the exchange companies.)

For an experienced owner, who understands the reservation and transfer process with their own timeshare, it's really an easy process. It's simply a matter of making a reservation at your resort, and putting it in a guest's name.

I would not hesitate to do an exchange with an "regular" on TUG. I have done trades with regulars here that involved no more than 3 or 4 private messages, because I knew that they knew what they were doing, and they knew the same about me.

In 2013, I had a home resort reservation at our TS in Scotland, that we couldn't use, and it didn't rent, so I gave it to a Tugger for a future, undetermined private exchange. She trusts me and I trust her, and I know when the time comes, she will come through for me.

However, with a guest, or someone who seldom posts, you will want to have more contact to make sure that everyone is on the same page.

It think it's extremely unlikely that you are going to get scammed in a private trade with a Tugger, but an inexperienced owner might make an unfortunate mistake, or there might be a misunderstanding due to inexperience, and that can be avoided by good communication.

For instance, once I advertised for a private trade, and a person responded that they could do the trade with me. However, after I made an expensive call to the Caribbean to check them out, I found out that they were offering to make an exchange company exchange, and give me the exchange. They did not have the week available, and it was an impossible exchange to get from an exchange company - they simply didn't know what they were talking about, but it wasn't a scam.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
ditto what DeniseM said. I have done several TUG trades. None came from the direct trade ads. All were either a PM to/from me where I or a tugger had posted a question about trying to trade into a hard to get TS that I owned or vice versa. One was an "honor" agreement for a reservation in a mini-system for a future year. All worked out fine--and another "honor" direct trade is in the works for 2015.
Like DeniseM, I also only direct trade with experienced tuggers to avoid any misunderstandings, etc. Elaine

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Direct Exchange

Hi Tuggers!
I noticed this thread has not been updated for 5 years. I am attempting a direct exchange for first time. [advertising deleted]
TerryC

Last edited by a moderator:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
5 years?

last post was just last month =)

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Oops! I didn't check latest page!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Hi Tuggers, We are in the process of doing a direct exchange with another Tugger for one of our timeshares. Both parties are excited about the exchange! Just want to make sure we do it right. Any suggestions? Do we need anything in writing or do we just notify our mutual resorts about the agreement? I have been a member of Tug for years, but this is first time doing a TuG exchange! Still learning and enjoying timeshares!
Thanks !
TerryC

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Hi Tuggers, We are in the process of doing a direct exchange with another Tugger for one of our timeshares. Both parties are excited about the exchange! Just want to make sure we do it right. Any suggestions? Do we need anything in writing or do we just notify our mutual resorts about the agreement? I have been a member of Tug for years, but this is first time doing a TuG exchange! Still learning and enjoying timeshares!
Thanks !
TerryC

I think a lot depends on who you are dealing with. You need to trust each other to not cancel the ressie.

What happens if the other party doesn't keep up with MFs, will your ressie be canceled? I know if I say I'm letting you use my unit there won't be an isssue but what about the person I'm trading with?

I had an exchange ad up for a while that was very flexible. I was willing to go just about anywhere and my ocean front unit was booked for week 27 this year.

I got one response that wouldn't work out and I ended up changing the week and giving it to a friend for his daughter's honeymoon.

Unless it's someone I've gotten to know here through outside communications, I don't think I would do this. It's a lot easier to use my exchange company even though it cost a little over $100 to use. I give them my week and have 3 yrs to find an acceptable trade.

But that's just me not wanting aggravation and apprehension wondering if all will go well. It may be the best thing going though, free exchanges.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Tuggers can and should Consider

Hi John, I am dealing with another long time Tugger, I think this is going to work out for both of us! 2 year time frame, so not impulsive! Will let you know how it goes!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks !
TerryC

Be sure you read the other posts in this thread - there are a lot of suggestions posted already.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Thanks Denise!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Tug Exchanges!

Hi Tuggers, I am in the process of direct exchanging weeks with other Tuggers!
So far, has been very successful. I am trying to be flexible with where I want to go and open to many exchanges. My week however is not flexible, has to be fixed time at my resort, which turns off some potential traders. If any of you are interested in my week, 23 in Ireland. We can talk about trades of equal value!
We are flexible of where and when we will go for exchange!
Safe Travels!
TerryC

SunLover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would this be the place to put what I have? I have three weeks on deposit with II and I would like to have someone buy the week(s) from me - to go somplace they want with a Guest Certificate - or trade with me for someplace I cannot go w/II - like a Disney Property.
If I should list this option in the Exchange Classified would you give me a suggestion as to how I should list it?

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would this be the place to put what I have? I have three weeks on deposit with II and I would like to have someone buy the week(s) from me - to go somplace they want with a Guest Certificate - or trade with me for someplace I cannot go w/II - like a Disney Property.
If I should list this option in the Exchange Classified would you give me a suggestion as to how I should list it?

Buying, selling, bartering, etc. RCI and II deposits/reservations is ill-eagle like in sick bird!

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

Since II does not allow you to sell or receive compensation for an exchange you are walking on somewhat thin ice here. The exchange could be taken back and you would lose the week and your renter or exchanger would be denied check in. That is if II finds out about what you're doing and pursues it.

I know I would not make this type of exchange if I were looking for someone to make a direct exchange with me.

Others may tell you to go ahead and do it, it'll be OK, but it could bite you.

SunLover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh. Didn't know that. Thank you! Don't want to do anything ill-eagle :)
I'm just so frustrated - partially because I'm restricted to when I can travel and partially because when I can...I cannot find what I want within the II exchange.
So, I don't have anything to exchange on the TUG Exchange Board - too bad for me.
I'll keep trying.
Very much appreciate the help you TUGGERS supply. Thank you!

Last edited:

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
[I'm sorry, but the discussion forum is only for theoretical discussions about exchanging. Please contact Terry directly by clicking on his/her blue user name.]

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Just want to update my status and keep this thread current. I am weaning off RCI. Final straw was they said I needed to open another account for recently acquired timeshare. Also wanted membership fee and transfer owner fee. That would make 3 accounts with RCI. No thanks. I am going to use my weeks or exchange thru TUG. I am looking forward to my first exchange! By the way, I have bought timeshares from other TUG members and have been very happy with them! Never buy from a resort again!

kalima

TUG Member
Reaction score
me too!

I would like to do this also in the future. I remember reading something so cool on these boards in the last couple months...a long time Tugger exchanged their week with someone for use of their Motorhome! I think this is an AWESOME idea!..I would love to do something like that maybe or perhaps a house boat! Lots of ways to exchange if you think outside the box:):D

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Just want to update my status and keep this thread current. I am weaning off RCI. Final straw was they said I needed to open another account for recently acquired timeshare. Also wanted membership fee and transfer owner fee. That would make 3 accounts with RCI. No thanks. I am going to use my weeks or exchange thru TUG. I am looking forward to my first exchange! By the way, I have bought timeshares from other TUG members and have been very happy with them! Never buy from a resort again!

That is crazy to have to open three RCI accounts.

I am really debating my RCI membership. II is much more useful for our needs (except when doing a direct exchange :D )

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
My RCI membership expires in 2016, I hope to be done with them by then.

jouerdehors

Reaction score
[Advertising is not permitted in the discussion forums - please use the TUG Marketplace, which is our classified Ads area. There is a link in the red bar at the top of the page.]

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I would really like a members only "trade offered" forum for high demand and/or premium TS exchanges (say Marriott, Hyatt, DVC, HGVC, summer beach weeks, prime ski weeks, etc.). It's a pain to weed through all the direct exchanges of mud weeks, somewhere in Orlando weeks, etc.. Plus, when I listed a direct exchange a few years ago--I got emails with offers for above, so I haven't listed again. I might be looking to trade in the next year and would like a quick and easy way to accomplish that. Elaine

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Something in writing?

Hi Tuggers,
I am going to be doing a direct exchange with another tugger soon. We mutually agree on the exchange, but should we have a document in writing ? If so is there one on here that others have used? Looking forward to doing this just want to do it right the first time! I know to notify the resort and so does the other party, but what other things should be spelled out on a document? And if you used one, Please direct me to the template or website that shows it?
Thanks in advance.
Silentg