• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Official Secrets of OWNERS (please) Four Seasons Aviara Thread

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do we have the option to rent the other several nights through TUG or some other source? I know FS rents them when they are unused but have never thought of doing it privately. Don't want to break any rules, but just the 1 BDRM won't be big enough and the 2 BRDM will be too big for most of the week!

Since it is your owned timeshare, you can rent the days that you won't be using it. If you post in the Marketplace, you can set any price you want. You can also advertise on Redweek, craigslist and anywhere that doesn't charge a lot to list it.

When it gets down to the last 45 days before check in, if it still hasn't rented, you can post it in the forums rentals, but the maximum nightly rate you can ask for is $100.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Since it is your owned timeshare, you can rent the days that you won't be using it. If you post in the Marketplace, you can set any price you want. You can also advertise on Redweek, craigslist and anywhere that doesn't charge a lot to list it.

When it gets down to the last 45 days before check in, if it still hasn't rented, you can post it in the forums rentals, but the maximum nightly rate you can ask for is $100.

Thanks presley. I found the rentals section of TUG, but don't see Marketplace...?

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Help with villa location request at Aviara

Can anyone make a suggestion about what villa location to request for our first visit to Aviara. Owners for 20 years, but have never actually stayed there, but will be there for the week that includes Memorial Day in our 2 bdrm unit and have also rented 2 studio units for other family.

Priorities would be parking, BBQ access and quiet and a likelihood that all units could be in the same area. Always nice to have the fitness center and other amenities nearby but less important - we can walk!

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
....Priorities would be parking, BBQ access and quiet and a likelihood that all units could be in the same area. Always nice to have the fitness center and other amenities nearby but less important - we can walk!

I think the first item you want is to have the 3 units close ( preferably in same villa complex - please make sure you request this asap with owners services ). Most villas have 3 levels ( some have 2 ) and many have the upper as a one bedroom unit - leaving the mid and lower floors with two 2 bedroom units ( or lock off to a 1 bedroom and a studio ). The studio's are very large .. so you can party in the friend's rooms as well...:)

I am confident you won't find a 'bad' unit. Some units appeal to some and less so for others ... example would be what level you are on and how you are handle stairs ( but since you said you can walk ...rule that out ) ... and stairs are only for one floor ( up or down ).

Another example of a 'weaker' unit might be ... in the Meadows many units back onto the pool area .. great for some and less so for others. The scenery from balconies is very nice - but over time you will develop your favourite views. 20 years an owner - think this will come to change once you stay here ...:) and make this an annual event.

The fitness area's are smaller now and my wife meet people from the Meadows that came up to the Summit for Gym. But the Meadows has the new Spa and the Restaurant.

One point lost on many is to request the time you like maid service. Starts at 9:00 thru 4:00. Plan your time and activities to have this service as less of a disruption and more of a feature that is missed when you are back home. We smile at how many put up the do not disturb signs - they have not mastered the system to their max pleasure.

I can't think of many villa's that are far from a BBQ ( or the stand alone Washer Dryer rooms for the studio's ) ... you are typically spoiled here vs. compared to many high density time shares.

Speaking of walking ...a favourite walk is from the Meadows to Summit or visa versa ...the views are fantastic. Or need a lift - just call ( we always requested the golf carts vs the mini-van's - the choice as always if yours when at Aviara).

Enjoy
Greg

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Here are links to the resort map and google map
RESORT MAP - http://www.fourseasons.com/content/...en/residence_clubs/aviara/residence_club_map/ (NOTE: The BBQ grills are indicated on the map)
GOOGLE MAP - https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...ata=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xf3ced4789d40e70e

Additional Notes
As Greg stated above if anyone has problems with stairs, you'll definitely want to request a street level units (and tell them about the mobility issue).
This is a dog friendly resort, so if anyone has allergies, please inform them about that as well.
Some folks don't care for the building facing Aviara Parkway due to the road noise.

Keep in mind the resort is built on a hill. The Meadows area is on the lower level. The checkin desk is in the Meadows. The Hyatt Hotel and other sections (Summit & Osprey) are on the upper level. Kingfisher Lane connects the the lower and upper levels.(see videos)
Videos
Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara - Inside Our Villas - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuF_qbkhxIg
Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara - A Luxurious "Home Away From Home" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7geW9rl8EY

Have a great time :)

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the first item you want is to have the 3 units close ( preferably in same villa complex - please make sure you request this asap with owners services ). Most villas have 3 levels ( some have 2 ) and many have the upper as a one bedroom unit - leaving the mid and lower floors with two 2 bedroom units ( or lock off to a 1 bedroom and a studio ). The studio's are very large .. so you can party in the friend's rooms as well...:)

I am confident you won't find a 'bad' unit. Some units appeal to some and less so for others ... example would be what level you are on and how you are handle stairs ( but since you said you can walk ...rule that out ) ... and stairs are only for one floor ( up or down ).

Another example of a 'weaker' unit might be ... in the Meadows many units back onto the pool area .. great for some and less so for others. The scenery from balconies is very nice - but over time you will develop your favourite views. 20 years an owner - think this will come to change once you stay here ...:) and make this an annual event.

The fitness area's are smaller now and my wife meet people from the Meadows that came up to the Summit for Gym. But the Meadows has the new Spa and the Restaurant.

One point lost on many is to request the time you like maid service. Starts at 9:00 thru 4:00. Plan your time and activities to have this service as less of a disruption and more of a feature that is missed when you are back home. We smile at how many put up the do not disturb signs - they have not mastered the system to their max pleasure.

I can't think of many villa's that are far from a BBQ ( or the stand alone Washer Dryer rooms for the studio's ) ... you are typically spoiled here vs. compared to many high density time shares.

Speaking of walking ...a favourite walk is from the Meadows to Summit or visa versa ...the views are fantastic. Or need a lift - just call ( we always requested the golf carts vs the mini-van's - the choice as always if yours when at Aviara).

Enjoy
Greg

Thanks Greg and alwaysonvac! Yes, indeed 20 years and it is high time to stay there although 20 years of using it to go to Hawaii has not been bad either. (My sister owned a big house in Poway until recently and that became the center of gravity for family visits.) Now everyone is excited to come here and happy to have some more info about the lay of the land. Links and videos very helpful.

I appreciate the info for figuring out what wuuld work best to request and I figured it was time do that. And skipping the maid service!?! I can't imagine and I always make time requests at hotels and resorts. Usually it is only a mid-week cleaning - do they come more often here?

Am very excited to stay here and I suspect you are right that this will become an annual event. Was surprised to be able to book the Memorial Day week fairly late in the game, but am thrilled. There is a 5 month old in the mix now (the first in the family) so it will be fun to be all together. [Not sure if you know this are there cribs to request? I will check with owners services when I call....)

Last edited:

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Follow-up

Had a lovely and helpful talk with a woman in Owner Services. Apparently I have good taste in villa locations (thanks to some help from my TUG buddies ;)) and I had picked out the exact same locations that are apparently the most requested as standing requests from the regulars - 25-29 and 46-47/50-51. It also seemed that the Aviara Parkway is not a requested location and quiet was one of the first things on our list too.

No idea what the priority is for assignments, but given that we are coming on holiday week, are 1 week owners, and have never stayed there, I don't expect to be anywhere but near the bottom of that list. Sounds like we may end up in Ospray which seems like it would be fine. Looking forward to staying (and they seem not only to have cribs, but baby gear I have never even heard of!)

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
........ And skipping the maid service!?! I can't imagine and I always make time requests at hotels and resorts. Usually it is only a mid-week cleaning - do they come more often here?

......)

Maid service every day ... for a 2 bbd unit is the better part of an hour ... so if you plan stuff in advance it works better. People who don't will put up a 'do not disturb' sign and drive the poor women nuts trying to spot a time to get in and do the work.

Love the video's - I had not seen them ...

ps - even the units along Aviara parkway are nice ... our first stay there we in these ... you are 100 feet above street level with nice views of the east. I think you will like it all ... enjoy.

Greg

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Oops Correction

Keep in mind the resort is built on a hill. The Meadows area is on the lower level. The checkin desk is in the Meadows. The Hyatt Hotel and other sections (Summit & Osprey) are on the upper level. Kingfisher Lane connects the the lower and upper levels.(see videos)

I just noticed a mistake. It's Blue Heron Place that connects the lower and upper levels.

Looking forward to staying (and they seem not only to have cribs, but baby gear I have never even heard of!)
Yes, they have lots of stuff for the small ones - http://www.fourseasons.com/northsandiego/services_and_amenities/family_at_four_seasons/highlights/
I suggest requesting Hypoallergenic bedding. We brought my niece when she was about 18 month old. We had the crib but during the night my sister brought my niece into the bed with them to sleep. My niece had an allergic reaction to the feathered bedding in the middle of the night.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you both! You undoubtedly know this, but the nearby Von's will deliver orders over $50 (easy to do) and there is Costco not far away. And the restaurant looks very good, so we will certainly not have any issues with food options.

Really looking forward to our first stay there!

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Follow-up

We ended up on the first floor of building 24 and have been very happy here (and we also had two other studio units- one on also on the first floor of 24 and a second on the upper floor of 23). They clearly tried to accommodate us.

Both had some road noise from the Aviara Parkway with the windows/patio open, but we enjoyed the views and enjoyed being in the Summit. As usual the staff was unfailingly accommodating and the "amenities" for the baby were fabulous. Thanks to all for the advice!

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi

Been a while .... getting ready for winter stay .... noticed this golf promo ... ( note ... I am no fan of Aviara Golf Course since it is owned by Broadreach Capital ) ... but if you get a good deal ..the maybe you are sticking it to the 'man' ...

https://www.underpar.com/courses/park-hyatt-resort-aviara-golf-club
5 days to go ... from today ... for this deal ...

Personally I love The Crossings at Carlsbad .... and with your tax receipt you get a great 'local' deal and if you are as old and I am ...even better ... a really great course for the price.

I have played an Oceanside course a few times ( found deals in Costco last year ) ... Arrowood is a nice course ... recommend it to all.
https://www.groupon.com/deals/arrowood-golf-course-7

Been a busy year at Aviara .... I see sone 'dog haters' have pushed some rules ... I understand that some dog owners are 'stupid' ....rule changes see OK with me ... I never tried to take our dog to the pool ...but I see I can take her to the outdoor patio at the Meadows ...

Please ...no love or hate dog comments required ... there are other threads for that ... please ...

Greg

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi
Been a while since posting... here at Aviara and a lot going on .... new carpet with more under-padding ( but same pattern ) - new TV's - new Internet service and equipment - looking forward to the new leather recliner and replacement for the sofa( pull out beds ) due late Feb ... there could be more ... stay tuned ...:)

A friend here on staff told me the recliner is great ... much needed.

Regards
Greg
ps - Dog in signature has gone over the rainbow bridge ... now have a 5 month puppy ... - been a long time as our last 2 Golden's we 'hand-me-down's" ...oh the joys of puppy training ... but going well.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Has anyone traded Aviara using Elite Alliance? The properties on Elite Alliance look fabulous.

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
bump to this thread ... so what's new ... new furnaces and A/C's in summits ... soft refresh done ( mostly last year ) including nice recliner (doesn't look like a recliner ) and carpet that was replaced by same pattern ( ???why ?? ) ... new wifi ... TV is now Direct TV ( jury out on this ) ... different type of L'Occtaine soap & shampoo etc ... a lot of tree trimming and cutting ( but it doesn't really show - trees sure grow ... weekly owners wine reception on Tue's ( where monthly prior ) ... dog walk done this Spring -down by Unit 52 in Meadows ( along with extra storage for owners wishing to keep more stuff here ) ... locals allowed to use Restaurant ( and they are enjoying it ) and Spa ... there is probably more that I will remember right after I hit the send button..

Greg

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wonderful update Greg. And this may well deserve a separate post, but has anyone done a Phillips Club (NYC) direct trade recently? We did one a few years back and it was wonderful, and they tried after that and had no luck. Would be interested in direct trade through FSA that anyone has had work.

jtmaske

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Lodge on Peak 7
West 57th Street by Hilton Club
DVC Polynesian
I have a strategy question for you long term Aviara owners, if I may ask: from the standpoint of booking a desirable unit is it better to have a unit deeded to the week and the unit you like most, or to own two random units and then try to book at the 13 month window? The reason I ask is that the San Diego tax auction website lists half a dozen Aviara units with specific units and weeks, while most ads and eBay auctions typically just list gold or platinum float units and no deed information.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I could only weigh in as a long term gold week owner who primarily uses FSA now to trade, so you will get better advice for making on site reservations from those owners. We trade our week annually by splitting our 2 bdrm lock off into two weeks, and have done very well trading through Interval. We have also never had trouble booking weeks during the gold trading season (i.e. not the most desirable holiday and summer weeks).

I think it depends on your purpose for buying it. FSA has very good trading power.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
As far as I know, Aviara only sold fixed weeks during Platinum season. Platinum Season runs week 24 - 40 however weeks 26 - 36 were also sold as fixed week. I've attached an old usage calendar which shows the fixed vs float weeks. If you really want a peak week, I would suggest renting from an owner or buying a fixed summer week.

See this old thread about availability when I used to own Aviara - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/four-seasons-aviara-owner-reservations.173904/

Attachments

• Four Seasons Aviara Usage Calendar.pdf
    278.9 KB · Views: 75

jtmaske

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Lodge on Peak 7
West 57th Street by Hilton Club
DVC Polynesian
Thank you both for the insights and perhaps saving me from a terrible mistake with respect to a tax auction bid ....there was a week 51 building 25 on the list, but the taxes have now been paid and the underlying deeded unit it appears is irrelevant to booking a floating week (except for some true fixed summer Platinum weeks)...but there is some educational and due diligence value to looking at the tax assessors website as part of any timeshare purchase of course