• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Guidance please on purchasing HGVC 1800 points to reach Elite Premier staus

bluemax

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Valdoro Mountain Lodge (HGVC), Hilton Hawaiian Village (HGVC), Hyatt Lost Pines,
We are HGVC Elite Plus member with 32200 points and short 1800 to get to 34000 level (ELITE PREMIER). Need advise on 1. Is Elite Premie benefits worth it and 2. What is lowest cost points (and maint fees) in HGVC inventory if I have to buy from developer? Sales guy at Sunrise Lodge wants to sell me 4200 points (Gold 2 bedroom) for $17K to get there but must believe there is better options. Also want to have option to upgrade in future if needed.

Thanks Ya'll

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
If you are determined to get to the next level look at what you own. Pick the one with the highest maint fee per point cost and use that one to trade up. They will always give you what you paid to trade up. They usually want $15k-$25k of new money to trade. This way you won't add a new maint fee. If you have a 4800 one bedroom, trade up to a 7000 two bedroom at Las Vegas Boulevard for low maint fees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bluemax

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Valdoro Mountain Lodge (HGVC), Hilton Hawaiian Village (HGVC), Hyatt Lost Pines,
If you are determined to get to the next level look at what you own. Pick the one with the highest maint fee per point cost and use that one to trade up. They will always give you what you paid to trade up. They usually want $15k-$25k of new money to trade. This way you won't add a new maint fee. If you have a 4800 one bedroom, trade up to a 7000 two bedroom at Las Vegas Boulevard for low maint fees.

Thanks and thought about that option but don't have good options for trade up - Valdoro (sold out) and HHV Lagoon where cost is prohibitive to next level.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

bluemax

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for above and good resources. What is cheapest per point location to buy "if you have to".

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Thanks and thought about that option but don't have good options for trade up - Valdoro (sold out) and HHV Lagoon where cost is prohibitive to next level.

Study the chart in the second link GT75 posted, anything on that list is a good value. Just keep in mind the dollar is strong against pound/euro right now, that may change. New resorts may jump up faster once they sell out. Vegas stays consistently low at Boulevard if they have one in inventory.

Do you use Valdoro or Lagoon every year or just use the points elsewhere? If its just points there is no reason to hang on to something just because its sold out. You can trade up to a different resort, it doesn't have to be the same one, Lagoon may be a good choice to get rid of.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Study the chart in the second link GT75 posted, anything on that list is a good value. Just keep in mind the dollar is strong against pound/euro right now, that may change. New resorts may jump up faster once they sell out. Vegas stays consistently low at Boulevard if they have one in inventory.

Do you use Valdoro or Lagoon every year or just use the points elsewhere? If its just points there is no reason to hang on to something just because its sold out. You can trade up to a different resort, it doesn't have to be the same one, Lagoon may be a good choice to get rid of.

I totally agree with the thinking here. We rarely go to the resorts we own. We look at our 34.600 points as our point bank account to book where we want to go. HGVC doesn't care where you own nor where you upgrade to they are just interested in getting the extra dollar difference between what you paid and what they have raised the cost to for what they are selling you. Therefore, upgrading either of your one bedroom units with 4800 points to a 7000 point package in Vegas would give you Elite Premier and you may even LOWER you maintenance.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
You are basically doing an equity trade. The only reason NOT to do it is if you use your HOME resort. If you do not, than do as suggested, and upgrade from a smaller unit at your current resort to any unit perhaps a plus or premium, or larger unit size that will yield that additional 1800 points at a place with as reasonable as possible MFs. This would be in lieu of other choices.

Remember it is always better to own Platinum weeks, as your MR $/point is less than any other season. Don't buy a gold buy a platinum.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Elite Premium has better perks than Plus, which frankly I think does not offer enough to move from basic Elite. Now I would not want to upgrade to E-Premium, but then again I am 20K away from that not less than 2K.

The nice perks are the Diamond Status first and foremost. Next would be the $0 transaction fees. Again, it is enough to pay the different, it might be if you travel at Hotels for work/pleasure enough and can utilize Diamond Status at hotels. Not having transaction fee is nice, but that is a lot of transactions to get to a $15K fee to upgrade to E Premier.

http://www.hgvcelite.com/recognition/at-a-glance/ Click on each level to see the addition and changes.

I will stay at Elite (many years ago via resales before they changed the rules). No enough incentive for me.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are currently paying 15 cents a point in MF, you are paying ~$4800/year. Assuming you buy just another 1800 points for $15k and have another $300 in MF/year(likely you will get more points and have MF in the $700-1k/year minimum), The question I have for you on this is:

1. Will you use the extra points.
2. Will the Benefit you receive exceed the MF cost + the initial cash outflow?

From the list of benefits you are looking at the following items with real cash value:

Open season 30% off vs 15% off. Assuming you use it (although you already have a ton of points), and use it for 20 nights in plat season you are talking about an extra $600 in annual savings. The other is reduced reservation fees (again if you book at least 10+ res fees at $52, you get get to the MF net zero situation).

All that being said, even if you get to a break even on the MF, there is still the $15-20k in initial spend which makes the whole cash outlay nonsensical from a purly financial perspective.

I think it is a good marketing gimmick from HGVC side, but the numbers do not add up, especially when that type of unit can probably be bought resale for ~$2k if you really need the points.

Diamond status is not that different from Gold.

Now for the real fun part. As I understand it, these benefits do not even transfer to your kids when you die.....

bluemax

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all the great advise and replies. We do use our Valdoro "fixed ski weeks" and HHV Lagoon Tower every 3 years so challenging to trade up on our current owned units but need to reconsider to avoid another maint fee.

bluemax

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are currently paying 15 cents a point in MF, you are paying ~$4800/year. Assuming you buy just another 1800 points for $15k and have another $300 in MF/year(likely you will get more points and have MF in the $700-1k/year minimum), The question I have for you on this is:

1. Will you use the extra points.
2. Will the Benefit you receive exceed the MF cost + the initial cash outflow?

From the list of benefits you are looking at the following items with real cash value:

Open season 30% off vs 15% off. Assuming you use it (although you already have a ton of points), and use it for 20 nights in plat season you are talking about an extra $600 in annual savings. The other is reduced reservation fees (again if you book at least 10+ res fees at $52, you get get to the MF net zero situation).

All that being said, even if you get to a break even on the MF, there is still the $15-20k in initial spend which makes the whole cash outlay nonsensical from a purly financial perspective.

I think it is a good marketing gimmick from HGVC side, but the numbers do not add up, especially when that type of unit can probably be bought resale for ~$2k if you really need the points.

Diamond status is not that different from Gold.

Now for the real fun part. As I understand it, these benefits do not even transfer to your kids when you die.....

Agree that financially it makes no sense so not buying just to get to Premiere level. Only way to get kids benefit in future is to put all owned units in a "trust" so they can receive benefits in future.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Agree that financially it makes no sense so not buying just to get to Premiere level. Only way to get kids benefit in future is to put all owned units in a "trust" so they can receive benefits in future.

That is an interesting piece of information. We did put all of our timeshares in a revocable trust. We have 2 children so we split the timeshares between the two of them as beneficiaries. I have always wondered how we could get them to retain our Elite Plus Status. At this time we don't know if either one of them will want to pay the maintenance and keep them. I thought that perhaps we should keep them all in one child's name so that they would all be titled the same upon our demise.

bluemax

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is an interesting piece of information. We did put all of our timeshares in a revocable trust. We have 2 children so we split the timeshares between the two of them as beneficiaries. I have always wondered how we could get them to retain our Elite Plus Status. At this time we don't know if either one of them will want to pay the maintenance and keep them. I thought that perhaps we should keep them all in one child's name so that they would all be titled the same upon our demise.

Check with your attorney but this should work just like any other real estate transaction you want to keep in the family. You could set up as even ownership and have the trust "fund" the maint. fees through an escrow account.

mitzi

Reaction score
Regarding benefits, the Diamond Hilton status and no fee transactions are the big ones. The latter allows me to hold reservations "just in case" without a penalty - so I can book pretty early even when I'm not 100%. One of the best and under-publicized benefits (imo) is the free limo pick up at most airports for the day of check-in. Think the only two locations not included are Breck and Park City.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
The nice perks are the Diamond Status first and foremost. Next would be the $0 transaction fees. Again, it is enough to pay the different, it might be if you travel at Hotels for work/pleasure enough and can utilize Diamond Status at hotels. Not having transaction fee is nice, but that is a lot of transactions to get to a $15K fee to upgrade to E Premier.
Regarding benefits, the Diamond Hilton status and no fee transactions are the big ones. The latter allows me to hold reservations "just in case" without a penalty - so I can book pretty early even when I'm not 100%.

Note that Hilton Diamond can be obtained by spending $40K on one of a couple of HHonors credit cards. If one were already going to spend that money, then there is no incremental "cost" to this (except the tradeoff of what other card might be used for the $40K).

Also, it one happens to own at W. 57th (and there could be others), a $129/year addition to the Club Fee results in no reservation/change fees on any reservations for the entire year. This one, of course, requires owning at W. 57th :)

Cheers.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
....All that being said, even if you get to a break even on the MF, there is still the $15-20k in initial spend which makes the whole cash outlay nonsensical from a purly financial perspective.

I think it is a good marketing gimmick from HGVC side, but the numbers do not add up, especially when that type of unit can probably be bought resale for ~$2k if you really need the points

I totally agree.

For newbies, that come across this thread during your research, please understand that the main purpose of HGVC's owner updates or "freebie giveaways" is to get you to meet with the HGVC sales team. You're meeting with a sales person whose driving force is to get you to buy using whatever sales gimmick it takes ("helping" you to get to the Elite tiers, "helping" you to reduce your maintenance fees, etc). It's simply best to avoid these.

See old threads
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...e-excessive-fees-and-they-care-for-me.250152/
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hilton-purchase-advice-needed.250764/

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Only way to get kids benefit in future is to put all owned units in a "trust" so they can receive benefits in future.

I am looking at doing exactly that (putting all timeshares into a trust) sometime in the future. This will preserve the current status level for the future. Also, as suggested, I am thinking about funding the maintenance fees through an escrow account. I called HGVC title department. They said that this is all duable for a price. I also called HGVC reservations to ensure that my status would be maintained with this change. The one thing with is important is to ensure that all owned properties don't have any outstanding loans. So that is my plan right now anyway.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
What is cheapest per point location to buy "if you have to".

As others have suggested, I think that HGVC affiliates would be the cheapest way to upgrade. Again, as already stated, this will require another MF.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I am looking at doing exactly that (putting all timeshares into a trust) sometime in the future. This will preserve the current status level for the future. Also, as suggested, I am thinking about funding the maintenance fees through an escrow account. I called HGVC title department. They said that this is all duable for a price. I also called HGVC reservations to ensure that my status would be maintained with this change. The one thing with is important is to ensure that all owned properties don't have any outstanding loans. So that is my plan right now anyway.

Are you planning to add your T/S to an existing living trust with the rest of assets, or creating a separate trust with just a sub-set of assets like your time shares?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Are you planning to add your T/S to an existing living trust with the rest of assets, or creating a separate trust with just a sub-set of assets like your time shares?

Actually I don't know yet. I know that I need to discuss complete issue with an attorney. I do want to do it correctly the first time. Do you have suggestions for me on which way to go?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Actually I don't know yet. I know that I need to discuss complete issue with an attorney. I do want to do it correctly the first time. Do you have suggestions for me on which way to go?

No, i don't have any suggestions on that. I have mine co-mingled with all my other assets, that why i was curious if you thinking something else. My focus was the minimize expense and hassles of my estate..

At least at present i don't any type of status with HGVC or any other T/S company that i need to preserve. At the moment my son does not seem that interested in my T/S, that may change over time, but right now i am not going spend extra time or money to preserve something he may or may not want....

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score

I was told to have the timeshare set up as a separate revocable trust. So just in case you want to sell it, you can assign the buyer to be the administrator and he would inherit all the elite benefit the trust has. If you have a few timeshare, set up one for each. There are some thing that you can do it your self by search the internet. The main thing is the change your timeshare title to the title of the trust with each contract. That is time consuming. I never ask Hilton how much for each contract to change title.

Talking about elite premier benefit, for BlueMax, if you are only 1800 away, definitely. We are elite premier and we love it. you can have free reservation, cancellation, free save point, free guest confirmation, free transactions, free shuttle from airport to certain HGVC resorts, and free upgrade (when available. We got 5 out of 7 reservations free upgraded in Hilton Hawaii Village.) Free diamond member and executive lounge.... for 1800 points, go for it. Hilton price is creeping higher every year. If you ever want to get there, the earlier the better.

bluemax

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was told to have the timeshare set up as a separate revocable trust. So just in case you want to sell it, you can assign the buyer to be the administrator and he would inherit all the elite benefit the trust has. If you have a few timeshare, set up one for each. There are some thing that you can do it your self by search the internet. The main thing is the change your timeshare title to the title of the trust with each contract. That is time consuming. I never ask Hilton how much for each contract to change title.

Talking about elite premier benefit, for BlueMax, if you are only 1800 away, definitely. We are elite premier and we love it. you can have free reservation, cancellation, free save point, free guest confirmation, free transactions, free shuttle from airport to certain HGVC resorts, and free upgrade (when available. We got 5 out of 7 reservations free upgraded in Hilton Hawaii Village.) Free diamond member and executive lounge.... for 1800 points, go for it. Hilton price is creeping higher every year. If you ever want to get there, the earlier the better.

CCWU - thanks for advise and agree to close to not try for Elite Premier just stuck in catch 22 with the location / units we own as no easy / inexpensive way to upgrade without spending a bunch of $'s + add new maintenance fee. We own HHV (Lagoon Tower) and Valdoro ski weeks. Glad to hear you are using and enjoying the benefits of EP. Also like the idea of trust for TS units.