• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please explain Marriott resale to me!

MommyErin

Reaction score
From what I've read, weeks can be bought/sold via resale, but are then excluded from the Marriott trade. (But can be traded in other trades like II or RCI?) What about points? If you buy points via resale instead of a fixed or floating week at a specific resort, what are the exclusions? I also read something about a minimum $3,000 fee? I would appreciate guidance on navigating the Marriott resale market. We like the point system for flexibility and would like to have access to all the Marriott resorts, but I suppose if we found a good fixed week in a place we liked that that would also be easy to trade, it might be worth considering?

ETA: I'm seeing resale points contracts listed for $9-$12 per point. What kind of savings is that over buying direct? Besides closing and MFs, the only additional fees are new member ($300) and $2/point (minimum $3,000) to Marriott, correct? Then for all intents and purposes I get the same benefits as a direct member?

Thanks!

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, weeks can be bought/sold via resale, but are then excluded from the Marriott trade. (But can be traded in other trades like II or RCI?) What about points? If you buy points via resale instead of a fixed or floating week at a specific resort, what are the exclusions? I also read something about a minimum $3,000 fee? I would appreciate guidance on navigating the Marriott resale market. We like the point system for flexibility and would like to have access to all the Marriott resorts, but I suppose if we found a good fixed week in a place we liked that that would also be easy to trade, it might be worth considering?
Buying weeks resale, from the 3 party market, only prevents you from converting to Marriott Rewards (a very diluted benefit these days) and enrolling in the Points programme (certainly well worth doing, but you have to weigh that against the huge potential saving from buying resale).
Buying points resale, if you have paid all the MVC fees, doesn't limit you at all as far as I am aware although I am sure others will comment on this.

MommyErin

Reaction score
Buying weeks resale, from the 3 party market, only prevents you from converting to Marriott Rewards (a very diluted benefit these days) and enrolling in the Points programme (certainly well worth doing, but you have to weigh that against the huge potential saving from buying resale).
Buying points resale, if you have paid all the MVC fees, doesn't limit you at all as far as I am aware although I am sure others will comment on this.
Thank you. So are the MVC fees paid directly to Marriott?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. So are the MVC fees paid directly to Marriott?
Yes, but it might help to read these faqs
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/faq-mvc-destinations-points-program.197346/
(i have cut and pasted this key section below)

DC Trust Points may be resold
through any of the typical timeshare resales sites; Marriott is not currently buying back or brokering DC Points resales.

If stipulated fees are paid, full usage rights will transfer upon a resale to the buyer/new owner of DC Trust Points. Such fees include but may not be limited to:
  • $500/BI (i.e. 250 Points) with a minimum $3,000.00 Initiation Fee (increased as of 7/1/14 from $200/BI with a min $2,000) ;
  • $300 Owner Education Fee;
  • $95 ROFR Fee;
  • $25/BI Transfer Fee; etc.

MommyErin

Reaction score
Yes, but it might help to read these faqs
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/faq-mvc-destinations-points-program.197346/
(i have cut and pasted this key section below)

DC Trust Points may be resold
through any of the typical timeshare resales sites; Marriott is not currently buying back or brokering DC Points resales.

If stipulated fees are paid, full usage rights will transfer upon a resale to the buyer/new owner of DC Trust Points. Such fees include but may not be limited to:
  • $500/BI (i.e. 250 Points) with a minimum $3,000.00 Initiation Fee (increased as of 7/1/14 from $200/BI with a min $2,000) ;
  • $300 Owner Education Fee;
  • $95 ROFR Fee;
  • $25/BI Transfer Fee; etc.
I did see that. To clarify, the initiation fee is essentially $2/point ($3,000 minimum total), correct? We would get at least 1,500 points for our travel needs so the minimum wouldn't matter.

Berea1

TUG Member
Reaction score
My recommendation is to wait for someone who is willing to give away his/her Marriott Hilton Head Island week for nothing as the weekly maintenance fee is approaching $1,500.00 and take it. You will be able to get the May and September units and use getaway to add additional weeks to that as you will then be in the Interval exchange system. Patrick

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
My recommendation is to wait for someone who is willing to give away his/her Marriott Hilton Head Island week for nothing as the weekly maintenance fee is approaching $1,500.00 and take it. You will be able to get the May and September units and use getaway to add additional weeks to that as you will then be in the Interval exchange system. Patrick

I think you would be waiting a long, long time for someone to give one of those away! (Unless it was a Bronze or Silver season in one of the smaller HHI resorts.) The rise in HHI maintenance fees this year was heavily influenced by one-time assessments for Hurricane Matthew. It was $75 for us at Barony, but I think was higher at some of the other resorts. Even so, at $1300-$1450 maintenance fees for the "Big 4" on HHI, that's still quite reasonable for a 2BR condo on the beach in HHI. We spent some time during our visit to HHI last week with a Realtor looking at whole-ownership condos and villas, and when you see what a half million dollars buys and compare that to the Marriotts, the Marriotts look pretty darn good!

Plus, the OP expressed interest in points and even if someone did give away a Marriott week like that, it would be ineligible for points.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed but I will take it a step further and say Gold will never be given away or at least not in this lifetime.
Gold HHI weeks are still work at least a few grand at the "big 3" and monarch spring/fall weeks will also sell for 1500+ even on eBay, so I agree it's going to be a long time before anyone sees free HHI gold weeks.

jtdillian

TUG Member
Reaction score

ETA: I'm seeing resale points contracts listed for $9-$12 per point. What kind of savings is that over buying direct? Besides closing and MFs, the only additional fees are new member ($300) and $2/point (minimum $3,000) to Marriott, correct? Then for all intents and purposes I get the same benefits as a direct member?

Thanks!

I might be wrong but isn't there a way they could buy a resale week with Marriott and combine it with points? I thought I read some can be $7+ per point only? Compared to the $9-$12 per point that Mommy Erin said she is seeing on resale. I wish someone on this site could explain in detail or like I was 5 years old what this is and how it works?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I might be wrong but isn't there a way they could buy a resale week with Marriott and combine it with points? I thought I read some can be $7+ per point only? Compared to the $9-$12 per point that Mommy Erin said she is seeing on resale. I wish someone on this site could explain in detail or like I was 5 years old what this is and how it works?
Search the threads for DC resale cost per point. Tons of info here.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Thanks!

Where are you seeing listings for $9-$12 per point? That is way high. You should easily be able to find resale listings in the $4 to $5 range, sometimes you can find listings for under $4/point, but those are always at risk of being taken by Marriott under ROFR. So if you can strike a resale deal for around $4.75 to $5 per point, then add in Marriott's $2/point activation fees, plus closing costs, you will probably be somewhere in the range of $7/point, all-in.

As JT mentioned, you can also buy resale deeded weeks direct from the Marriott Resales Department, and then combine that with a purchase of points from Marriott matching the value of the week. The week then becomes an enrolled week that can be converted to points. The points from Marriott will cost you $11 - $13 or so, but you also get the points value of the resale week, thus doubling your points total and driving down your net per point cost. If you pick the right resale week, you can usually wind up with an average per point cost of around $7/point as well.

Do a TUG search of this forum for Hybrid Bundle and you will find lots of info on this option.

MommyErin

Reaction score
Where are you seeing listings for $9-$12 per point? That is way high. You should easily be able to find resale listings in the $4 to $5 range, sometimes you can find listings for under $4/point, but those are always at risk of being taken by Marriott under ROFR. So if you can strike a resale deal for around $4.75 to $5 per point, then add in Marriott's $2/point activation fees, plus closing costs, you will probably be somewhere in the range of $7/point, all-in.

As JT mentioned, you can also buy resale deeded weeks direct from the Marriott Resales Department, and then combine that with a purchase of points from Marriott matching the value of the week. The week then becomes an enrolled week that can be converted to points. The points from Marriott will cost you $11 - $13 or so, but you also get the points value of the resale week, thus doubling your points total and driving down your net per point cost. If you pick the right resale week, you can usually wind up with an average per point cost of around $7/point as well.

Do a TUG search of this forum for Hybrid Bundle and you will find lots of info on this option.

Thanks for all the info! I'll double check which site when I get back to my computer. It did seem high to me as well, unless it included the Marriott fees (which I didn't see). So potentially $0 savings in resale if you get a really good week deal from direct Marriott resale, or maybe $1-2 per point savings over direct otherwise? Which could be a few thousand $$ savings on a larger points contact. I definitely need to do a lot more research apparently! This is so different from DVC!

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Thanks for all the info! I'll double check which site when I get back to my computer. It did seem high to me as well, unless it included the Marriott fees (which I didn't see). So potentially $0 savings in resale if you get a really good week deal from direct Marriott resale, or maybe $1-2 per point savings over direct otherwise? Which could be a few thousand $$ savings on a larger points contact. I definitely need to do a lot more research apparently! This is so different from DVC!

Most pure direct points purchases from Marriott wind up being in the $11-$11.50/point range, I think, after Marriott applies their typical discounts off the $13+/point list price. So the difference between this and the Hybrid Bundles at about $7/point and the pure resale buys, also at $7/point or so all in, is more like $4-$5 per point. So the savings by buying pure resale points or a Marriott week/points hybrid bundle is significant.

Berea1

TUG Member
Reaction score

MommyErin

Reaction score
Most pure direct points purchases from Marriott wind up being in the $11-$11.50/point range, I think, after Marriott applies their typical discounts off the $13+/point list price. So the difference between this and the Hybrid Bundles at about $7/point and the pure resale buys, also at $7/point or so all in, is more like $4-$5 per point. So the savings by buying pure resale points or a Marriott week/points hybrid bundle is significant.
$4-5 is definitely significant savings! I'll start researching the hybrid bundle. MFs wouldn't be significantly more than points only, would it?

I'm looking at a resale listing for 1500 Marriott Vacation Destination points asking $24,500 That has to be a typo, lol! The others are in the $8-11 per point range. Still rediculous if it doesn't include the $2/point fee to Marriott though.

And there is a week in a Hilton Head 2 bedroom asking $1,000, but bronze week 50. Others are significantly more.

Berea1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am copying to here the posts from 2012 and what the HHI Marriotts were selling for. More importantly, you can go to the Beaufort County Recorder's office to find out what the timeshare weeks are selling for by extrapolating the numbers that are assigned to each unit. Your deed should show the week numerical designation and you can change the numbers to find out the outher weeks you may be interested in. Patrick

I'm looking at a resale listing for 1500 Marriott Vacation Destination points asking $24,500 That has to be a typo, lol! The others are in the $8-11 per point range. Still rediculous if it doesn't include the $2/point fee to Marriott though.

And there is a week in a Hilton Head 2 bedroom asking $1,000, but bronze week 50. Others are significantly more.[/QUOTE]

1. I bought a Silver OS MGO about three years ago for $2,300. Don't know what it's worth now but MGO prices tend to hold their value even though there are occasional dips. Gold is a good season on HHI and worth a lot more than Silver. Both are good traders for off season Marriott properties located anywhere. MGO has always been a good value.

kjd, Dec 29, 2011Report
    #7Like+ QuoteReply

2. Berea1TUG Member
    Prices are dropping.

Please note that silver week just sold on ebay for under $900.00. I am at MGO now and another owner indicated that he paid $255.00 several months ago for a silver week, to go with the two that he already owned. What to do with the two bronze weeks that I have owned since 2004 and got weeks 12 and 13 for this year. We are here from March 22nd to April 8th, 2012. Rented 3 nights at the govt. rate of $ 174 in Royal Tern and am now oceanfront in the Dolphin Building. All of this relaxing is really tiring! Life is good!!!! Patrick

Berea1, Mar 29, 2012Report
    #8+ QuoteReply

3. ShirtmanTUG Member
    The last two Grande Ocean oceanside went for about $5000 on Ebay. I just purchased one on the open market for $6000. Hope that helps.

Shirtman, Mar 30, 2012Report
    #9Like+ QuoteReply

4. Berea1TUG Member
    Research MGO resales

Hey, I called the Register of Deeds at 843-255-2555 and found out that you can research the resales at www.bcgov.net. Once there, go to Register of Deeds and then click on property research.

The number to insert are as follows for the Marriott Grande Ocean:

R550, 018, 000, 0069, Search but make sure you restrict the search to the last six months or less (09/30/2011 to 03/27/2012) and check 1000 records. You will be surprised at the number. If you want to do one just on Marriott Ownership and see what the financial deal was with First American.

Play with it and post your observations. Also, I am looking for the lowest price that an MGO gold sold for in the last year. Once one to identify that will get my undying respect for your computer skills.

The mapsite for Surfwatch is R511. I will add the other Marriott's map number when I find it although I do have to get some work done.

Patrick

Berea1, Mar 30, 2012Report
    #10+ QuoteReply

5. Berea1TUG Member
    MGO Owners Assoc. sale to Marriott

Here is the deed number to research the sale of 3 MGO silver weeks for $10K:

go to the website DCM and insert these numbers:
    R550, 018, 000, 0069, 8913, 25
    you have to put in the comma and the space in order to be successful

You should see the transfer of three silver weeks, 8416-S-10, 8643-S-10 and 8732-S-48.

The first is unit 6 on the first floor, (i.e., 16) in Building 84 (Sea Horse). Because of the way that Sea Horse slants, it is considered an ocean front rather than a gardenview (which used to be called ocean view when MARRIOTT was trying to sell them new!).

Here is my question: What did the owners' association sell the three units for (to Marriott) to the exact dollar????

Patrick:D

Berea1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again go to Heading DMP and insert R518 which identifies the Marriott Monarch resales and open the document to find out what was paid for that timeshare . You may have to try several times to see sales within the last 90 days.

Marriott Surfwatch is R511
Marriott Monarch is R518
Marriot Grande Ocean is R551.

Detail
Name Cross Name Date Type Book Page Status Legal District Map SMap Parcel Block Week
* TUCCIARONE, MICHAEL DIAMOND, STEVEN M 12/03/2012 REDH 3195 1414 V VILLA 720 BLDG 7 PRESERVE INDIGO RUN HPR HHI R518 008 000 0594 0720 00
DIAMOND, STEVEN M TUCCIARONE, MICHAEL 12/03/2012 REDH 3195 1414 V VILLA 720 BLDG 7 PRESERVE INDIGO RUN HPR HHI R518 008 000 0594 0720 00
* GRIFFITH, WILLIAM H GRIFFITH, WILLIAM H TRUSTEE 09/12/2005 REDH 2227 2395 V UNT 3521/44 MONARCH AT SEA PINES HPR XXV PH II HHI R518 017 00A 1281 3521 44
* GRIFFITH, BONNY B GRIFFITH, WILLIAM H TRUSTEE 09/12/2005 REDH 2227 2395 V UNT 3521/44 MONARCH AT SEA PINES HPR XXV PH II HHI R518 017 00A 1281 3521 44
GRIFFITH, WILLIAM H TRUSTEE GRIFFITH, WILLIAM H 09/12/2005 REDH 2227 2395 V UNT 3521/44 MONARCH AT SEA PINES HPR XXV PH II HHI R518 017 00A 1281 3521 44
DIAMOND, BARBARA H TUCCIARONE, MICHAEL 12/03/2012 REDH 3195 1414 V VILLA 720 BLDG 7 PRESERVE INDIGO RUN HPR HHI R518 008 000 0594 0720 00
GRIFFITH, BONNY B TRUSTEE GRIFFITH, WILLIAM H 09/12/2005 REDH 2227 2395 V UNT 3521/44 MONARCH AT SEA PINES HPR XXV PH II HHI R518 017 00A 1281 3521 44
GRIFFITH TRUST GRIFFITH, WILLIAM H 09/12/2005 REDH 2227 2395 V UNT 3521/44 MONARCH AT SEA PINES HPR XXV PH II HHI R518 017 00A 1281 3521 44

Patrick

MommyErin

Reaction score
So, I went to the Marriott Vacation Club site to the "Buy Weeks" menu (which I believe are the week resales they have available). I select a resort, but don't see anything about a package. It does say how many Marriott Rewards I could trade the week for (which seems like a TERRIBLE trade though...give up a week in a 2-bedroom on the beach for 4-5 nights in a hotel? Nope.) The package would be the week + enrollment in the exchange + points, correct, so something I would need to call them about? And that package should be the price of the resort/week + cost of discounted points (free enrollment of the resort in the exchange). Am I understanding that correctly? Just want to make sure if I make the call I know what I should be requesting. Thanks!

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Gold week, lagoon/pool view just sold for $1,925.00 Patrick

Marriott Grand Ocean 2br Annual Floating Hilton Head South Carolina Timeshare

See original listing

Item condition:
--

Ended:
Feb 02, 2017 , 10:00PM

Winning bid:
US $1,925.00
[ 7 bids ]

Shipping:
Free Local Pickup

Item location:
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, United States

Seller:
timesharconnection_0 (101 )
|
Seller's other items

A great low purchase price, no doubt. However, based on the location and season, I would think there is at least a fair chance that the unit will be taken back by MVCI under Right of First Refusal (ROFR). If so, that great price actually worked against the buyer as it was so low to be attractive enough for Marriott to take the unit back, add it to the trust, and convert/resell it for trust points at $13+ per point.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Again go to Heading DMP and insert R518 which identifies the Marriott Monarch resales and open the document to find out what was paid for that timeshare . You may have to try several times to see sales within the last 90 days.

Marriott Surfwatch is R511
Marriott Monarch is R518
Marriot Grande Ocean is R551.

Detail
Name Cross Name Date Type Book Page Status Legal District Map SMap Parcel Block Week
* TUCCIARONE, MICHAEL DIAMOND, STEVEN M 12/03/2012 REDH 3195 1414 V VILLA 720 BLDG 7 PRESERVE INDIGO RUN HPR HHI R518 008 000 0594 0720 00
DIAMOND, STEVEN M TUCCIARONE, MICHAEL 12/03/2012 REDH 3195 1414 V VILLA 720 BLDG 7 PRESERVE INDIGO RUN HPR HHI R518 008 000 0594 0720 00
* GRIFFITH, WILLIAM H GRIFFITH, WILLIAM H TRUSTEE 09/12/2005 REDH 2227 2395 V UNT 3521/44 MONARCH AT SEA PINES HPR XXV PH II HHI R518 017 00A 1281 3521 44
* GRIFFITH, BONNY B GRIFFITH, WILLIAM H TRUSTEE 09/12/2005 REDH 2227 2395 V UNT 3521/44 MONARCH AT SEA PINES HPR XXV PH II HHI R518 017 00A 1281 3521 44
GRIFFITH, WILLIAM H TRUSTEE GRIFFITH, WILLIAM H 09/12/2005 REDH 2227 2395 V UNT 3521/44 MONARCH AT SEA PINES HPR XXV PH II HHI R518 017 00A 1281 3521 44
DIAMOND, BARBARA H TUCCIARONE, MICHAEL 12/03/2012 REDH 3195 1414 V VILLA 720 BLDG 7 PRESERVE INDIGO RUN HPR HHI R518 008 000 0594 0720 00
GRIFFITH, BONNY B TRUSTEE GRIFFITH, WILLIAM H 09/12/2005 REDH 2227 2395 V UNT 3521/44 MONARCH AT SEA PINES HPR XXV PH II HHI R518 017 00A 1281 3521 44
GRIFFITH TRUST GRIFFITH, WILLIAM H 09/12/2005 REDH 2227 2395 V UNT 3521/44 MONARCH AT SEA PINES HPR XXV PH II HHI R518 017 00A 1281 3521 44

Patrick

That's a good idea to tell if the transfer was from an owner to another owner, or if the sale was from an owner that ended up being owned by Marriott (such as through ROFR).

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
So, I went to the Marriott Vacation Club site to the "Buy Weeks" menu (which I believe are the week resales they have available). I select a resort, but don't see anything about a package. It does say how many Marriott Rewards I could trade the week for (which seems like a TERRIBLE trade though...give up a week in a 2-bedroom on the beach for 4-5 nights in a hotel? Nope.) The package would be the week + enrollment in the exchange + points, correct, so something I would need to call them about? And that package should be the price of the resort/week + cost of discounted points (free enrollment of the resort in the exchange). Am I understanding that correctly? Just want to make sure if I make the call I know what I should be requesting. Thanks!
Are you looking for only purchasing a hybrid bundle, that when all-in nets you about 1500 total points (Enrolled and Trust) for an all in cost of approx. $10,500 which is the $7/pt range. I think its going to be very difficult if not impossible to get a hybrid deal done for that few total points. I'm not even sure they would sell you a Trust package as part of a hybrid bundle that was less than 1000 points, which puts you over your $10,500 costs without even considering the purchase of a week with an enrolled points value of as small as 1000 points. Just saying, its going to be challenging. If you only want 1500 points, a straight resale Trust points purchase at $4-5/pt + the junk fees may be your best bet.

MommyErin

Reaction score
Are you looking for only purchasing a hybrid bundle, that when all-in nets you about 1500 total points (Enrolled and Trust) for an all in cost of approx. $10,500 which is the $7/pt range. I think its going to be very difficult if not impossible to get a hybrid deal done for that few total points. I'm not even sure they would sell you a Trust package as part of a hybrid bundle that was less than 1000 points, which puts you over your $10,500 costs without even considering the purchase of a week with an enrolled points value of as small as 1000 points. Just saying, its going to be challenging. If you only want 1500 points, a straight resale Trust points purchase at $4-5/pt + the junk fees may be your best bet.

We haven't settled on a point total or price point yet. We're still exploring all our options. If we went straight points, we would do resale. I need to do more research on where we would travel and points needed though. If we did the Hybrid package, we would focus on getting the resort and season that we would be inclined to use at least every other year (probably Ft. Lauderdale Platinum), with the intention of then using the exchange and points for trips other years. I'm just trying to fully understand what the Hybrid option is and how it's packaged.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Yes. The only things shown on the web site are the prices for the resale weeks themselves. You'll need to talk to a sales executive to get whatever deal they are offering on the bundled points. And you have it correct on the rest as well. If the week costs $5000 for example, and that week is worth 2300 DC Points, then you would need to buy 2500 DC points (points are only sold in 250 point increments), so you would wind up with access to 4800 points every year (Or you could elect NOT to convert the week to points in any given year and actually use it or trade it through II. In that case for that year, you would have one week to use/trade plus 2500 points.) Assuming they cut you a deal on the 2500 points for about $11.50/point (I have no idea what the deals are), then you total costs would be the $5000 cost of the week, plus $28,750 for the points, plus closing costs. Your total would probably be somewhere in the $35,000 range. In my theoretical example, that would equate to about $7 per point for the total 4800 points you would have access to.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
MFs wouldn't be significantly more than points only, would it?

It could be more, it could be less. That is a data point you need to consider. The points MF is about $0.53/point. Depending on the week you choose, the maintenance fee could wind up being more or less than that, depending on how many points the week is worth. Generally, the cheaper, lower season weeks wind up with higher MF/point ratios than high season weeks. Think of it this way - someone who owns a off-season week at a resort pays the same MF as an owner who owns a prime season week, but that prime week is worth a lot more points than that off season week. The issue you'll run into though with hybrid bundles is those prime time weeks are worth a lot of Destination Points, so the cost of the matching points requirement can start to get very, very expensive. In the end it's a balancing act that you have to weigh the upfront cost vs. the ongoing MF cost.

And there is a week in a Hilton Head 2 bedroom asking $1,000, but bronze week 50. Others are significantly more.

The $24.5K listing may not be a typo, just someone who doesn't know the market value of resale points.