• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
@jme, I don't know why I didn't suggest this sooner, but if you're a fan of Mexican food, Amigos Cafe Y Cantina (next to Bi-Lo on Pope) is the best on the island. We make a point to stop here at least once every visit.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@jme, I don't know why I didn't suggest this sooner, but if you're a fan of Mexican food, Amigos Cafe Y Cantina (next to Bi-Lo on Pope) is the best on the island. We make a point to stop here at least once every visit.

We'll be on HHI for 2 weeks starting next week and we're looking to try some new places so we'll have to consider this one.

Definitely going to try Live Oak for lunch since it is so close to the Monarch. Also want to try either Michael Anthony's or Ombra Cucina as they seems to be excellent based on reviews.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We'll be on HHI for 2 weeks starting next week and we're looking to try some new places so we'll have to consider this one.

Definitely going to try Live Oak for lunch since it is so close to the Monarch. Also want to try either Michael Anthony's or Ombra Cucina as they seems to be excellent based on reviews.

Joe, imho, I'd pick Ombra over Michael Anthony's.....better food, better service, beautiful interior and decor....very romantic. We were disappointed in MA last year, but we always rave after going to Ombra (been there 6-7 times). If they seat you upstairs at MA, it's a huge thumbs down, and they don't exactly honor requests prior, or when arriving. Plus it's overpriced for what you get.
They do what they want to do. Food wasn't even close to Ombra's. Family loves Ombra too (kids 31 & 28 now)....very very classy place, about as good as it gets on HHI.

When you make reservations at Ombra, request either table 20, 21, 22, 23 along wall, or 10, 11, 12, 13 second row. If group of 5 or more, they'll probably give you slightly larger round table at position 12 (or near). These are all in the "middle section" which is our favorite. I'd call a good 4-5+ days prior, at least.

Last edited:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
^Agreed with the above. MA was considerably overpriced, IMO, as well. That said, we did go to Stellini this year for the first time in a long while (RIP Pazzo).

Phillie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not seen on the list Ocean Lounge located at the Sea Pines Beach Club upstairs above Coast which is next to the Monarch. (https://www.seapines.com/dining/sea-pines-beach-club/ocean-lounge.aspx) It is for 21 and older only. We had a fantastic meal with friends of ours sitting at the window table overlooking the ocean. The fish dishes were the best we have had on the island and we have been coming for 12 years. We use Marty's list and recommend to people who rent our home to use it to. Another newer one to try is the early bird at Live oak even with teens and tweens was good food, service and value. Our can't decide where to go places are Java burrito and Crave by Daniels. Crave has a bogo early bird till 6 which is consistently good food.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I have not seen on the list Ocean Lounge located at the Sea Pines Beach Club upstairs above Coast which is next to the Monarch. (https://www.seapines.com/dining/sea-pines-beach-club/ocean-lounge.aspx) It is for 21 and older only. We had a fantastic meal with friends of ours sitting at the window table overlooking the ocean. The fish dishes were the best we have had on the island and we have been coming for 12 years. We use Marty's list and recommend to people who rent our home to use it to. Another newer one to try is the early bird at Live oak even with teens and tweens was good food, service and value. Our can't decide where to go places are Java burrito and Crave by Daniels. Crave has a bogo early bird till 6 which is consistently good food.

Will look into Ocean Lounge when I'm back at Hilton Head later this month......didn't know it existed. We've been to Coast numerous times, though.

Here's the site on it, though >>> http://www.coastoceanfrontdining.com/ocean-lounge/

Also haven't made it to Crave yet either...went to Daniel's a couple of times, though---it was good and definitely different. Despite my liking it, I had a feeling it wouldn't last, and it didn't. No lack of creativity, but people are sometimes hard-headed and want only the typical seafood stuff....too bad.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Joe, imho, I'd pick Ombra over Michael Anthony's.....better food, better service, beautiful interior and decor....very romantic. We were disappointed in MA last year, but we always rave after going to Ombra (been there 6-7 times). If they seat you upstairs at MA, it's a huge thumbs down, and they don't exactly honor requests prior, or when arriving. Plus it's overpriced for what you get.
They do what they want to do. Food wasn't even close to Ombra's. Family loves Ombra too (kids 31 & 28 now)....very very classy place, about as good as it gets on HHI.

When you make reservations at Ombra, request either table 20, 21, 22, 23 along wall, or 10, 11, 12, 13 second row. If group of 5 or more, they'll probably give you slightly larger round table at position 12 (or near). These are all in the "middle section" which is our favorite. I'd call a good 4-5+ days prior, at least.

Good to know Marty. I've been reviewing menus and was definitely leaning towards Ombra so you settled it for me.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Any good brewery/restaurants on HHI which will fill a growler of beer?

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Any good brewery/restaurants on HHI which will fill a growler of beer?
Gotta go to The Lodge! One of the best selections of craft beers in HH. It's right next to One Hot Mama's BBQ, one of our favorite stops during visits to HH. Check out the Lodge (and Nicole) on Instatgram!

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Put Chow Daddy's at the top of our list. We've been coming to HHI regularly since 2005 but just tried this place a few times over the last 2 weeks and it gets top grades. After 9pm they have these great tacos for $4 each that are superb. The rest of the menu is very good as well.

So 2 top HHI restaurants for us The British Open Pub and now Chow Daddy's.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
ALERT....PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT :)

I'll soon add another Hilton Head restaurant & review to the list,
but in the meantime I'll mention it here first.

It'll be Darren Clarke's Tavern, located on Pope Avenue where the old Truffles (2nd location) used to be.
It was totally renovated, and boasts of great steaks (great food in general), great libations, and great times.
Hours are 5-10pm daily. Owned by Irish professional golfer Darren Clarke and a business associate, and I might add that
Darren is well-versed in great food and libations. ;)

A couple of rough reviews early on, but since then they've successfully addressed the "usual start-up issues"
and it's destined to be a good one. Pricey but worth it.

Sheesh, I'm going to be stretched pretty thin (maybe a poor choice of words)
with my task of keeping up with all the fantastic restaurants at Hilton Head, but I'm going to give it my best (American Express? LOL).

http://darrenclarkestavern.com/

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Darren Clarke's Tavern sounds like a great place to enjoy a great steak and libations during your stay on the Island.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll also give a very good review to Stacks. Really enjoyed their pancakes and it was a very good value.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another food option we discovered that saved us quite a lot on lunch was finding the supermarket Harris Tweeter. In our 7 trips to HHI we never even heard of this store but found it riding my bike and it seemed like a very nice supermarket so i went to check it out. I really like Jersey Mike's for their roast beef hero so when I found this supermarket was making Boar's Head Roast Beef heroes for half the cost I had to try it and it was better than Jersey Mike's. This will be the spot for sandwiches for our picnic lunches in the future for sure.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Saturday, February 17, 2018.

Thanks Steve. I need to try those.

Everyone,
I have a few new additions and tweaks to my Hilton Head Restaurant list, already emailed to Susan last week
and waiting for her to add them for me. It's not an easy job and I appreciate her doing this very much,
so sit tight for the new 2018 edition/update.

I want desperately to visit Darren Clark's Tavern soon....I've been at HH for 7 nights over the past
two weekends but haven't visited there yet.
From my outside sources I understand it's quite good (albeit quite expensive), but will confirm by a personal visit
and report back within a month or so.

2/18/18 EDIT:
OK, it's done.
Susan has graciously made the latest additions and tweaks for me.
THANK YOU, SUSAN!!!!!!!!!!!
The official new update is posted, again located at POST #164 on PAGE 7.

I feel that it's fair, accurate, and trustworthy (imho), and truly hope it is helpful.
I'll tweak it again if and when I see a compelling reason to do so.
Things do change.
I do need to try a few new Mexican Restaurants that have been recommended (Thank you, NPT66),
so hold onto your sombreros and watch for that.....
nothing better than good Mexican food when you're craving it.

It's a tough job but somebody has to do it.

Enjoy

Last edited:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Instead of rebuilding Starbucks, I'd love it if another vendor - preferably one with decent coffee - took over the location.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a first-hand opinion/review of the new Skull Creek Dockside? I've heard that it's SERC's attempt to have the best of SERC in one place. A bit of the best from each of the SERC restaurants?

What about the seating, bar, creekside views?